• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet anime (MODS' UPDATE 23/08/2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing there is that we can’t really take that as the rule rather than an exception for how the series runs given that Journeys seems to have been made to be an anniversary series as opposed to a traditional one. So in line with them having the series take place in all regions (poorly implemented as it was), they did the PWC over the Galar league since it would allow them to make use of all regions for the competition as opposed to being limited to just a single one.
Judging from the SWSH trailer 2 and SV trailer 2, I don't think Gyms are part of the new region at all, so whatever follows Journeys may in fact be the exception as well.

Sprigatito's blurb on the site says that it gets jelous when its trainer gives attention to their other Pokemon, so you can bet they're going to put that in the anime and Flanderize the hell out of it.
Right tho?

Then again, I also expected the Anime to play up Sobble's crying gag a lot more than they actually did

So maybe Sprigatito's behavior won't be as badly exaggerated as it could be

Judging from the SWSH trailer 2 and SV trailer 2, I don't think Gyms are part of the new region at all, so whatever follows Journeys may in fact be the exception as well.
There was a shot of a specialized battlefield in the trailer that may or may not have been a gym. At very least, it presents that there’s something battle oriented going on in this region for them to have battlefields like that set up.
Pawmi is going to be the next Ashs Pikachu, but this time belonging to Ashs kid.
My dude, you gotta let it go. Even if they do end up replacing Ash as the protagonist of the series, chances are whoever becomes the new main character isn’t gonna be even related to Ash, as is typically the case when they pass the torch.

There was a shot of a specialized battlefield in the trailer that may or may not have been a gym. At very least, it presents that there’s something battle oriented going on in this region for them to have battlefields like that set up.

My dude, you gotta let it go. Even if they do end up replacing Ash as the protagonist of the series, chances are whoever becomes the new main character isn’t gonna be even related to Ash, as is typically the case when they pass the torch.
Never say never

That's a hasty judgement. We see a montage of three different areas which get put into a collage which makes me think these will be our three challenges across the game - Gyms obviously could be the centre one, the flags on the right bring racing to mind, and the left looks like it could be a Battle Tower maybe or the Evil Teams hideout.

1654191989441.png

That's a hasty judgement. We see a montage of three different areas which get put into a collage which makes me think these will be our three challenges across the game - Gyms obviously could be the centre one, the flags on the right bring racing to mind, and the left looks like it could be a Battle Tower maybe or the Evil Teams hideout.

View attachment 160449
I’m sick of having gyms in stadiums tbh

Battle oriented or not, it is not as blatant as SWSH second trailer showing a Gym and then a Gym Leader to give us an idea of what the formula will be.

And honestly, Ash hasn't been doing Gyms since XY. Since Alola, they have been operating with a hub system for Ash and I believe that will be case for Ash in Scarlet and Violet should he remain on the show.

Battle oriented or not, it is not as blatant as SWSH second trailer showing a Gym and then a Gym Leader to give us an idea of what the formula will be.

And honestly, Ash hasn't been doing Gyms since XY. Since Alola, they have been operating with a hub system for Ash and I believe that will be case for Ash in Scarlet and Violet should he remain on the show.
The second trailer didn’t tell us much of anything about the region so you still can’t make that assumption. Hell, we still don’t even know the region’s name.

As for Ash not doing gyms since XY, Alola didn’t have a gym system and even then, Ash did their version of it in Trials. So we’re at a single series where he didn’t do gyms or their equivalent and that was during an anniversary series where they invented a competition that wouldn’t be limited to a single region. So I’d say wait and see what info we get on the actual region before jumping to conclusions.

A part of me kind of hopes that Ash will travel through the next region instead of having a home base there. The idea of a home base isn't necessarily bad. It generally worked in SM's favor given the large cast and the themes of family/community. Ash vs. Professor Kukui wouldn't have had much weight to it if Professor Kukui only showed up once in awhile like most of the other Professors in previous series. Based on Journeys, I don't know how effective it is to keep that same kind of setup for multiple series. People definitely didn't like sticking to one location for most of SM even at the time, but we still got to see most of the new Pokemon, most of the major locations from the games and Alola still felt distinct from the other regions.

With Journeys, it felt like there wasn't as much in-universe justification for them to have a home base, especially when having to go back home at the end of every episode or so felt counterproductive with the world tour gimmick. As much as I do wish that they were stationed in Galar, if only to better flesh out that region and showcase new Pokemon/characters, it still could have had the same problem of not making use of the world tour setup for the series.

If Ash is still at least living in the new region, that would still be an improvement and could give the new generation a chance to actually shine. If they do continue with the home base setup, I just hope that there would be better justification for it than there was for doing that in Journeys.

If most of the game is open world I don't see Ash constantly traveling through it. There's not enough story material with barren land focused on capturing pokemon

If most of the game is open world I don't see Ash constantly traveling through it. There's not enough story material with barren land focused on capturing pokemon
It all depends on the execution. If the anime gets over its allergy to multi-part episodes then fewer towns and NPCs could mean more time developing them. Alternatively, the anime may simply invent some original towns to fill in the gaps of a more barren PokéSpain, I just really want the travelling aspect to properly return, it’s one of the things I visualise when I think about the original anime and how it made it feel like it brought the games to life.

Again, I think that you're assuming a lot with little to no information to back it up. Yes, the game is open world and they are emphasizing that the most so far, but that doesn't mean that there wouldn't be a storyline for the anime to adapt. We don't know how big the new region is or even its name, so it's pretty early to claim that Ash couldn't travel through it just because of the open world aspect of the games. We don't even know what the storyline is, so claiming that there wouldn't be enough story material is just strange to me. Even Legends Arceus had a storyline beyond capturing Pokemon. Completing the Pokedex was the main objective for that game, but I imagine that there will be more to Scarlet/Violet than that, if only because it isn't set in the ancient past.

Even if there isn't a storyline in the Gen 9 games, who's to say the anime can't just come up with its own? I mean, the PWC is something completely unique to the anime, and the only really strong similirity it has to Galar's Gym Challenge is Leon being the endgame goal, so Scarlet and Violet being devoid of a story (something that in and of itself seems pretty unlikely to me tbh) isn't really that much of a problem, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom