• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet anime (MODS' UPDATE 23/08/2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the writers wrote team rocket off in favor development for Ash I'd be very pleased. If Pokemon was willing to break old traditions ( which they are.. ) then Ash could age throughout the series. If they must bring back team rocket they must get serious. I want the brotherly Ash we got in DP and XY with a little less unpredictability. But seeing as we're getting yet another battle gimmick I don't know how they'll work around that.
Considering that they just recently explained why Ash is forever ten, I don't think that they'd be willing to age him up in this new series. They've always been willing to experiment with the anime and have broken some of the old traditions, but aging Ash is probably off the table. Similarly, I don't see them getting rid of Team Rocket. It's much more plausible than getting rid of Ash, if only because he is the main character and too tied into the anime, but despite how they've been handled in Journeys, Team Rocket are still pretty popular and a good way to create conflict in an episode. I don't want a serious Team Rocket trio again, but getting more consistent focus and getting more Pokemon would be nice.

Obviously It will be about Ash, the female PC and the rival traveling and winning badges on the new region! And the starter trio will be evenly distributed among all three and will appear in the first 10 episodes!...right?

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the new series is about Ash and Pikachu traveling to the real world, and alongside a Youtuber and her grandmother they beat made-up gyms.

Anyway, I think Goh's chances of staying are 50-50. In one hand he's definitely nowhere near his goal, but in the other his reserves would be impossible to ignore and would allienate new fans, and also is extremely likely Project Mew pushes him into a new direction. Chloe is also 50-50, her goal and team are still in a blank state so she could finally become a main character with her own goal, but she doesn't feel iconic enough to justify it. About Ash...I don't really care, as long as they keep that "He`s a small kid that only cares about Pokemon!" mentality I'm sure we can't expect him to do something different.

Considering that they just recently explained why Ash is forever ten, I don't think that they'd be willing to age him up in this new series. They've always been willing to experiment with the anime and have broken some of the old traditions, but aging Ash is probably off the table. Similarly, I don't see them getting rid of Team Rocket. It's much more plausible than getting rid of Ash, if only because he is the main character and too tied into the anime, but despite how they've been handled in Journeys, Team Rocket are still pretty popular and a good way to create conflict in an episode. I don't want a serious Team Rocket trio again, but getting more consistent focus and getting more Pokemon would be nice.
If the writers are willing to experiment with Ash's classic design there's nothing too far out. Journeys is just plain uninteresting. As far as I know gamefreak isn't in charge of the anime and presently the writers are doing whatever they can to promote legends but I really hate it. With all of Pokemon's recent motives it's transparent that they're learning their mistakes. No, the anime didn't explain why Ash isn't 10 lmao. It's just wishful thinking plus the shi*ty multiverse scheme Pokemon has been up to for a while.

Keep Journeys going but base it out of the new region. Sakuragi gets transferred to PokeIberia, taking Ash, Chloe and Goh with him. Chloe ends up attending the school the player character goes to and gets redesigned to wear the new uniform. Other than that it's basically the same, maybe with a new PWC and Chloe as a main character instead of a supporting character.

Keep Journeys going but base it out of the new region. Sakuragi gets transferred to PokeIberia, taking Ash, Chloe and Goh with him. Chloe ends up attending the school the player character goes to and gets redesigned to wear the new uniform. Other than that it's basically the same, maybe with a new PWC and Chloe as a main character instead of a supporting character.
I'd be down for that as long as her design is perfect ( just look at my pfp :) )

The anime would have to be renamed of course. Ash could likely go face whatever challenges beholds. Goh is pretty tricky considering Mew is a Gen I pokemon. Chloe could enter a theatre sort of thing I don't know...

I have what some might consider to be a "strange" wish-list for a Gen 9 anime. Mostly because of how weirdly specific it is. :p
  • World: I want the writers to step up their game when it comes to world-building. Keep the story confined to the one region and focus on fleshing that region out. Flesh out its characters, the locations, and its importance to the story. I'd also like to see the anime take creative liberties and make the world feel more alive with emphasis on Spanish architecture.
  • Pokemon: Given how badly the pokemon were treated in Gen 8, I really hope they get a comeback in the Gen 9 anime. I personally wouldn't even mind much if they got significantly more focus than the human characters, since the pokemon's stories have often played second fiddle to the humans. It would be interesting to see a switch on that and mix things up a bit.
  • Story: The anime hasn't really done this yet, but I think it would be pretty cool to see them try to make an actual unique story to follow throughout that doesn't relate to evil teams or gyms. I wouldn't even mind if they tried to do both. I've just never been a fan of gym badge quests, but if they can find a way to make it unique and fresh without alienating the audience, I would love to see that.
  • Ash, Pikachu, and TR: I hope that for Gen 9 these characters are given justice after their unfortunate portrayal in Pokemon Journeys. I'd like to see them go into Ash's character a bit more, maybe even give him the mentor type of role for this saga. It would be nice to see him act in a refreshing and believable way that doesn't scream "out of character". I also want to see the anime develop Pikachu again, preferably without costing any other members of Ash's pokemon team(with battles, development, focus episodes, screen-time, etc). It would also be nice to see Team Rocket get more of the Alolan treatment; less of them being thrown into every episode at the worst opportune times and more of them getting quality appearances. It would be nice to see them get the main cast treatment in that they are simply antagonistic with the main characters; but are not inherently bad people(just a little misguided).

Last edited:
If the writers are willing to experiment with Ash's classic design there's nothing too far out. Journeys is just plain uninteresting. As far as I know gamefreak isn't in charge of the anime and presently the writers are doing whatever they can to promote legends but I really hate it. With all of Pokemon's recent motives it's transparent that they're learning their mistakes. No, the anime didn't explain why Ash isn't 10 lmao. It's just wishful thinking plus the shi*ty multiverse scheme Pokemon has been up to for a while.
Changing Ash's design isn't really the same thing as aging him, especially when they've experimented with his design in multiple series by this point. It wasn't directly from the anime, but creative supervisor recently confirmed that Ash is forever ten. This was the quickest way for me to find the comment: https://twitter.com/DogasusBackpack/status/1492278956707311617

With that in mind, I don't think that they'll suddenly change gears and make Ash older for the next series.

Having Ash as a mentor character is difficult to pull off because he is and always will be ten, so it's impossible for him to mentor a trainer who is younger than he is, and it looks silly for him to mentor someone who's the same age.

Given the generic look of the new game protagonists I doubt the female character will appear in the anime. Given they ignored Gloria and the SM protagonists it's safe to say using the game female protagonists is pretty much over. The rise of the customization feature probably killed that since people can make the female companion look like whatever they want now than the regular design, Serena just squeaked by.

So I would never expect another May, Dawn or Serena type character again either. They might create their own anime OC character again like Koharu

Given the generic look of the new game protagonists I doubt the female character will appear in the anime. Given they ignored Gloria and the SM protagonists it's safe to say using the game female protagonists is pretty much over. The rise of the customization feature probably killed that since people can make the female companion look like whatever they want now than the regular design, Serena just squeaked by.

So I would never expect another May, Dawn or Serena type character again either. They might create their own anime OC character again like Koharu
I don't really see why the rise of customization would make them not use the female protagonist. The player character can have different skin tones and outfits depending on what players choose, but they still use the default design for pretty much all official artwork and shorts, so it wouldn't be unrecognizable. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of the playable character designs for these games. The design for the girl is growing on me, but they do look really generic. Still, I don't think it would be impossible for them to use the female playable trainer again. Perhaps unlikely, but not impossible. I think a lot of it depends on how many other prominent female characters are in the games and what role they'd want for a female lead in the next series too.

I wouldn't be against another anime original female lead like Chloe, but they'd just really need to actually give her more focus and a more prominent role in the main cast.

Kanto: N/A
Johto: N/A
Hoenn: Female protag
Sinnoh: Female protag
Unova: Didn't use female protag
Kalos: Female protag
Alola: Didn't use female protag
Galar: Didn't use female protag

Within the periods they did feature the female protag as a traveling partner, there were periods they did not. It's also even too, for the amount of times a female protag would have been applicable. So I'd say there is a chance, though unlikely, rather than writing it off as a narrative choice completely.

I don't really see why the rise of customization would make them not use the female protagonist. The player character can have different skin tones and outfits depending on what players choose, but they still use the default design for pretty much all official artwork and shorts, so it wouldn't be unrecognizable. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of the playable character designs for these games. The design for the girl is growing on me, but they do look really generic. Still, I don't think it would be impossible for them to use the female playable trainer again. Perhaps unlikely, but not impossible. I think a lot of it depends on how many other prominent female characters are in the games and what role they'd want for a female lead in the next series too.
The new protagonists do look very generic and I'm personally not too crazy about them. There is the chance they could use the female protagonist, but there's also a chance they won't keep the design the design all the way through. Remember, Serena started out with her game counterpart's default appearance, though they eventually changed her design entirely, cutting her hair and giving her an entirely new outfit.

I honestly don’t see Ash leaving. Ash and Pikachu are the faces of the anime and Pikachu is the mascot of the entire franchise, there is no way they’d get rid of them. Theoretically they could get rid of Ash and replace him with another trainer with a Pikachu but that would just be lame.

I’m not getting my hopes up about Goh staying around as much as I want him to, but I don’t think it’s necessarily impossible. We don’t know anything about the new region or what the format of the show will be. Goh is an original character so he technically isn’t tied down to any region. The only thing that ties him to Galar would be the fact that his main partners of the Galar Pokémon, but we’ve already seen him pass down his “main partner” status from Cinderace to Grookey even though Cinderace is his starter. If they really wanted to, they could give him one of the new starters and have the Galar ones take the backseat. Koharu also isn’t tied down to any region and her only real partner is Eevee which in recent years has become basically Pokémon’s second mascot. I don’t think it’s likely that Goh and Koharu stay, but it’s not impossible.

I’ve seen the theory of the protag’s outfits being school uniforms and that there will be two competing schools in the story considering your outfit changes on the version of the game you play and the emblem on the clothes seemingly change as well. I could see them being schools for strong trainers or otherwise talented and smart individuals. If that’s the case, I could see Ash, Goh, and Koharu all get accepted into that, with the main rival coming from the opposite school. If it’s a school for above-average trainers, regardless of whether Ash wins or loses the PWC, his rival would still be above average strength. But that’s just all speculation at this point. We really know nothing besides the starters and that it’s based on Spain & Portugal, so I’d say it’s a bit too early to do a lot of guessing.

They're not going to use the female protagonists as they're generic on purpose. They used the female lead only 3 times and only the gens where Contests were available in main games or remakes.

Also I don't see them using a school setting again either. Alola had the tropical vacation setting going for it but this looks like a Spanish boarding school. I expect more anime OC's like Koharu 2.0.

I’m not getting my hopes up about Goh staying around as much as I want him to, but I don’t think it’s necessarily impossible. We don’t know anything about the new region or what the format of the show will be. Goh is an original character so he technically isn’t tied down to any region. The only thing that ties him to Galar would be the fact that his main partners of the Galar Pokémon, but we’ve already seen him pass down his “main partner” status from Cinderace to Grookey even though Cinderace is his starter. If they really wanted to, they could give him one of the new starters and have the Galar ones take the backseat. Koharu also isn’t tied down to any region and her only real partner is Eevee which in recent years has become basically Pokémon’s second mascot. I don’t think it’s likely that Goh and Koharu stay, but it’s not impossible.
While they could just give Goh one of the new starters as his new partner, I really hope that they don't do that. Not only because of how the Galar starters were handled in general, but passing along his "main partner" status through each of his unevolved Galar starters was a really bad idea. It really undermined his bond with Cinderace to just put it on the sidelines after it was done evolving in favor of the next Galar starter. They still have a bond, but I just think it was a poor way to handle a character's first Pokemon. It would be like if Ash got a new partner Pokemon after Pikachu became a Raichu. I know that would never happen for a few reasons, but getting new cute marketable Pokemon to be Goh's new main partner after they fully evolve, or in Drizzle's case evolve just once, just didn't really work. I would much rather have them not make the same kind of mistake with the new starters.

I could see Goh sticking around, but I'm less convinced about Chloe being a possibility. I agree that neither are impossible, but even with Eevee becoming practically the secondary mascot of the franchise, I don't think that would necessarily make them want to keep Chloe. It would probably be just as easy to give the next female lead an Eevee instead, especially when it would probably be more likely to evolve than Chloe's Eevee.

They're not going to use the female protagonists as they're generic on purpose. They used the female lead only 3 times and only the gens where Contests were available in main games or remakes.

Also I don't see them using a school setting again either. Alola had the tropical vacation setting going for it but this looks like a Spanish boarding school. I expect more anime OC's like Koharu 2.0.
Considering that Serena's storyline didn't involve Contests, it's kind of weird to use that as evidence for why those series used playable female leads. She went off to Hoenn to do Contests, but since she was basically using that as part of her Performance journey, I wouldn't really say that Contests were a major factor as to why they used her for the female lead. OR/AS weren't even revealed until around the middle of XY and Contests were basically just used to give her something to do off-screen.

Even with the generic designs, it wouldn't be impossible for them to use the playable trainer as the female lead. It's far from a guarantee and it may not be particularly likely, but I don't think it would be a stretch. They could easily change the design to make her more distinct or unique within the anime. It really wouldn't be that hard. I wouldn't mind more anime original characters if they were going to be more prominent and actually be main characters. I like Chloe a lot, but the fact that she doesn't get a lot of screentime and not be part of the main cast is probably why I'm not so set on just more anime original characters in place of the female leads. That isn't to say that using the playable female trainer as the main female lead is absolutely perfect. I have my fair share of problems with May, Dawn and Serena's storylines, but they were featured more prominently and got consistent focus throughout their respective series, especially Dawn. Getting something closer to that as opposed to another repeat of Chloe would be more preferable to me.

It also seems a bit odd to write off a potential school setting again. I don't know think that they'll do it either, but based on the areas shown in the trailer, the region looks pretty gorgeous. It may not be a tropical vacation setting, but I don't think that would necessarily make it less likely for them to do another school setting.

This time we need a female on the main cast. The main girl doesn't need to do anything in literally every episode, but she needs to at least be there. There were so many episodes of Journeys where there were no females onscreen at all for most if not all of the runtime, and we really can't accept that continuing into the next gen. It would be one thing if it was a boys' tailored franchise, but Pokemon is an everyone franchise and the anime staff need to respect that.

This connection is flawed to me though, and more a matter of serendipity, as Serena wasn't made with Contests in mind. Hence the creation of a completely anime original career for her after near 40 episodes of her being aimless; Contests didn't warrant any mentions at all until ORAS was well underway. Furthermore, she's only experiencing Contests to further her talent and skill as a Performer, rather than be a strict Top Coordinator like May and Dawn; which isn't too different from what Wallace advised Ash to do with Buizel. Thus I wouldn't say that female player protagonists are only adapted for that specific goal. Common yes. Absolute, no.

Anyway, I think Goh's chances of staying are 50-50. In one hand he's definitely nowhere near his goal, but in the other his reserves would be impossible to ignore and would allienate new fans,
I don't see why his reserves would confuse new fans any more than Ash's reserves were a problem in the Gary episode. Some of them have cute quirks, but you really don't need to know their history (which is rather limited except for Scorbunny). Also, the last series that was called Pocket Monsters lasted over 5 years and I don't think any kid had a problem with Ash's Kanto Pokemon.

Project Mew has barely started and the Go game has at least 3 years left in it still. Why replace Go with a new character who would at best do something like contests? That is, an old goal which clearly doesn't interest OLM or Game Freak anymore.

I think that they'll probably move Ash and Go's base to the new region and replace Chloe, possibly with several characters as in SM (notice the school theme). It's hard to speculate about Ash's goal, but restarting the PWC would make more sense than a regression to gyms. As for the old regions, I think it would be fine to relegate them to special episodes like Project Mew.

I guess I'm expecting a blend of the current series and SM.

Last edited:
Here's what I want from the Scarlet & Violet anime:

• Ash doing the traditional gym quest in the new region. No more of this unfocused region-jumping.
  • Get rid of Goh. Promoting Pokemon GO should NEVER have been forced on the writing staff.
  • This is something I wanted from a Sword & Shield anime, and I will hold the production staff to for the Scarlet & Violet anime:
66yr0s.jpg

#AmourShipping4Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom