• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet anime (MODS' UPDATE 23/08/2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the anime is coming to an end. I do think there are major, ongoing production issues, and I won't be surprised if that's affecting the next iteration of the anime. I think everyone just has to approach this whole upcoming cycle as uncharted territory, because that's pretty much what it is. For me, personally, I'm not expecting to see anything substantial about a new series until next year. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong and news comes sooner, but at this point I think it's probably best to play the long game in terms of expectations.

I could also see them holding off the next series' announcement for as long as they have
due to marketing not wanting it to steal the thunder from the Masters Tournament finals.
If we actually do get news soon, I think at least a name and logo
or a just a confirmation that a Gen 9 anime exists wouldn't be out of the question.

Maybe we'll get something in the next issue of Pokéfan Magazine, but we'll see.
The next issue will be published on November 30th.

Last edited:
I don’t buy that. They had no problems churning out episodes prior to he Master 8. They only ran into trouble because the battles require more time and animators, hence the delays. Things should be more stable after the tournament. Plus, they had no problem producing the Arecus special to promote Legends in a timely fashion.
Had no problem? We had an unnatural number of breaks in this series even prior to the masters 8. Plus, the Masters 8 wasn’t even originally planned to show all the battles, with only Ash’s having been set to be shown in full before, late into production, they were told to show everything. That put more strain on an already strained operation. You can choose to believe what you want, but where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

Had no problem? We had an unnatural number of breaks in this series even prior to the masters 8. Plus, the Masters 8 wasn’t even originally planned to show all the battles, with only Ash’s having been set to be shown in full before, late into production, they were told to show everything. That put more strain on an already strained operation. You can choose to believe what you want, but where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

There weren't any breaks prior to the tournament. That is my point, production became an issue because the type of work required for the tournament required more animators and time, which OLM doesn't have. Prior to that, episodes were still being produced on a timely bases even with all of the issues with staffing. This is why I don't buy the theory that they are delaying the next series because of production. Master 8 was an outlier, not the norm.

There weren't any breaks prior to the tournament. That is my point, production became an issue because the type of work required for the tournament required more animators and time, which OLM doesn't have. Prior to that, episodes were still being produced on a timely bases even with all of the issues with staffing. This is why I don't buy the theory that they are delaying the next series because of production. Master 8 was an outlier, not the norm.
The beginning of a series also requires a lot of work to give a good first impression.

I don’t know if you’ve been following this series from the beginning but yes, breaks have been a very noticeable issue with the series. By the time that the series has been around for 3 years, it will have only produced 132 episodes. Add to that that 4 of those were clip shows and you’re down to 128 episodes of actual content out of 156 weeks. For comparison, Sun and Moon a similar length series, had 146 episodes and didn’t have the production issues that Journeys has. You can ignore the signs all you want, but the data says a lot.

Ash is just much of an icon as Pikachu by this point.
That's a bit of a stretch. Especially after Pokémon Go. He is an iconic character but we're long passed the days where the anime is the biggest part of the franchise in my country not sure about others though.

That's a bit of a stretch. Especially after Pokémon Go. He is an iconic character but we're long passed the days where the anime is the biggest part of the franchise in my country not sure about others though.
The anime was never the biggest part of the franchise as it was always an advertisement for the games. Ash is however the iconic face of the anime though.

The anime was never the biggest part of the franchise as it was always an advertisement for the games. Ash is however the iconic face of the anime though.
To put it into context: When Ash was declared the winner of the Manalo Conference, ESPN of all networks announced it. He's iconic enough that a sports network that has nothing to do with anime or video games had something to celebrate. He's had that much of an impact.

I don’t know if you’ve been following this series from the beginning but yes, breaks have been a very noticeable issue with the series. By the time that the series has been around for 3 years, it will have only produced 132 episodes. Add to that that 4 of those were clip shows and you’re down to 128 episodes of actual content out of 156 weeks. For comparison, Sun and Moon a similar length series, had 146 episodes and didn’t have the production issues that Journeys has. You can ignore the signs all you want, but the data says a lot.
First year: 45 episodes
Second year: 43 episodes
Third year: 40 episodes+Arceus special (equivalent to 3 episodes)+4 recaps

And yet we still got the BDSP two-parter two weeks after the games' release date, and the first half of the Arceus special actually preceded PLA's release date by a week. It was also announced more than a month in advance...

Fluff that could have been trimmed this year: Ampharos (which I liked), Galarian Slowking, Battle Royale (deja vu much?), Diantha battles, Cinderace reunion

Ash's last two battles didn't have to be this long if game promotion is more important (is it?).

The only major setback prior to the Tournament was the two month break in 2020. We also had one other clip show in the Summer of 2021. But we didn’t start to get several clip shows till the tournament. OLM has staffing issues, but things didn’t get out of hand till the tournament. But I don’t think production issues is the reason why they are delaying the next series ( if there is one….) unless they are kicking it off with another battle tournament that requires more animators.

Has No one considered that there's no new info the next anime because
A.This one will continue alittle past the release of scarlet and violet, we still need to cover project mew after all
B. This isn't intended to end like past one's. Journeys premise of being a world tour opens its self up to just adding paldea onto the list of regions to visit.

A.This one will continue alittle past the release of scarlet and violet, we still need to cover project mew after all
B. This isn't intended to end like past one's. Journeys premise of being a world tour opens its self up to just adding paldea onto the list of regions to visit.
A: That's assuming that they are going to continue it (sure there is a possibility that they will).
B: Makes sense. Why announce a new anime if all they are going to do is add Paldea to the list of regions due to continuing the world tour that Ash is doing?

Yeah, both of these ideas have been floated before. The theory that JN will continue past Sword/Shield was suggested back when it was first announced (it's just called "Pocket Monsters" in Japan, like the first series).

That’s literally the 2 sides that have been clashing in this thread for quite some time with a new faction saying the whole series is ending.

Both points have been brought up multiple times. Personally, I don't know how much they'd need to cover Project Mew, but I see it more a way to write Goh out of the series more so than anything else. I don't think that they'd need more than an episode or two to wrap up Goh's storyline at least.

People have been saying that Journeys won't end since pretty much it started due to its world tour gimmick and its Japanese title going back to Pocket Monsters. I never really understood the latter when it always came off as reading too much into the title. Throwing in Paldea into their world tour mix and calling it a day would be such a waste. I don't want Paldea to suffer the same fate as Galar. I want the anime to actually make use of new locations, characters and Pokemon. So many Galar Pokemon and characters haven't been featured in the anime yet. Since I don't see them continuing the PWC regardless of the match's outcome and I don't think Goh is sticking around, I don't see them keeping the world tour gimmick itself either.

I don't think that there's much left for them to do with Journeys story wise when Ash already got his battle with Leon and Goh's Project Mew storyline won't take long to wrap up either. It just makes more sense to me to start off with a new series with new characters for Ash to travel with and new storylines. Plus, if the series is just going to keep going with Ash and Goh traveling the world together forever, then that just makes the terrible pacing all the more questionable to me. Why rush through so much of the series if they don't have to worry about wrapping things up for a new series to start instead?

People have been making those exact theories for ages now. Also, that second point makes no sense. Even if Journeys were to continue as-is, they would still have to announce they're going to add Paldea to the mix.

I think the unquestionable rushing of the remaining Galar debuts is a strong point against the "Paldea will be added into the rotation" idea, since they could just add some Galar episodes for them later if that was the case. It could be argued that the writers didn't know what the new series was going to be so they covered their bases, but the latest "debut spam" happened less than one month ago so it's highly likely they did it on purpose.

Didn't the writers/producers specifically say in interviews that they changed the style of the anime to the Journeys style (as in more isolated episodes and less arcs) due to the fact that the anime moved its slot to Sunday? I remember reading on interviews that the writers/producers/whoever's in charge thought that on Sundays children were more likely to miss more episodes due to it being a family day, so they decided to do standalone episodes in the anime as opposed to a classic anime with straightforward story.
Now that the anime is out of the Sunday slot and back in a weekday slot they really have to need to continue with Journeys. Unless they think this style works better for the anime...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom