• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet anime (MODS' UPDATE 23/08/2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess they really wanted to do the school plot from SM again. I wonder why? Was it popular in Japan or with the taget audience?

I think SM worked since it sometimes had some more serious plots like Lillie's mental health/family issues, Mallow and Litten's arc focusing on grief.

The XY games didn't have the best story but the anime made up for it by having Ash be more like his DP self, having a good villain arc, good rival and it even flirted with the idea of having some romance.

My point is both XY and SM had some mature content that everyone could enjoy. It's important to have a balance. I don't think they can keep relying on Eevee promotion, Go and fanservice/cameos like they have in Journeys.
My only concern with them introducing the school as a major thing is that they’ll end up using the home base format, in which, rather than traveling the region, they always bounce back to the school every episode. While it worked for SM since Alola is such a small region, it could end up having a similar effect as with Journeys and make the region seem so much smaller. Hopefully the school is more of something that they come back to every so often rather than all the time.

I have this weird feeling that we will get the Legendaries early when they announced the 2 legends since the they were basically living bikes. And since they usually give Ash the gimmick, shall he finally have a legendary pokemon or not?

I try not to get too excited about the games' plot in relation to the anime, because Journeys showed just how far it can stray, but I am hopeful they're actually going to devote this series to exploring the Paldea region. Seems like there's a lot of different elements to it, and I would hate to see it get the shaft the way Galar did.

The whole "champion is now a trainer class" did stand out to me as well, and one of my first thoughts was oh, this is how they're going to justify keeping Ash in the show. Not that I'm mad about it, I love Ash. But I was really curious what they were going to do with him after the Masters Eight considering how big of a tournament that is. Similarly, though, the "independent study" wording gave me some dread. The research fellows aspect of Journeys is so bad and poorly executed. If they're really going to have Ash go to Paldea and participate in an independent study (which ultimately I can see being the transition between the two series) I hope it's much better executed.

Either way, you know the writers aren't going to miss their chance to give Ash a sparkly crystal Pikachu with balloons :p

Goh staying in the anime would literally make my year, lol.
We do see that Rotom Phones are in the new games and they’re kind of his thing. Plus he is a researcher at heart, he’d probably jump at the chance to enroll at a Pokémon-based school (he even got a taste of what it might have to offer in his Alola visits). And with the treasure hunt theme which allows them free exploration, he could still catch a lot of Pokémon and whatnot.
And I still wouldn’t be surprised if Hodaka is a villain who wants to capture Mew and is just getting stronger trainers to do it for him via Project Mew. Sort of like how Rose cultivated Leon to beat Eternatus when the time came. Though I don’t know how much time is left in the series for something like that. But I do see how it could be his exit if there’s no twist, and his main partners are still the Galar starters who will be irrelevant soon enough (though I guess they could have him rotate them out if they really wanted to), so I won’t be getting my hopes up if he ends up leaving. I could definitely see him being forced between joining Project Mew full-time or traveling with Ash in the final few episodes and him choosing to follow his dream.

Also it says that when you beat all 8 Gym Leaders you take the “Champion Assessment” and if you pass, you just get the rank of Champion. To me it sounds like there isn’t just one champion, there are multiple, and they as a group are made up of the strongest trainers. That makes it more realistic that Ash could win since he wouldn’t be the de facto champion, just one of a select few. Plus, I feel like Ash only being “Champion” of Alola makes more sense for his character, even if he wins the PWC. They’ll just have to focus on showing that Paldea trainers are strong and that not every powerful trainer in the world joined the PWC.

Though we don’t know anything about the other two storylines that will probably also pull from.

I have this weird feeling that we will get the Legendaries early when they announced the 2 legends since the they were basically living bikes. And since they usually give Ash the gimmick, shall he finally have a legendary pokemon or not?
They aren't really the gimmick so much as just the new bikes for players to travel around the region. It would be kind of cool to see Ash ride one of them, but I wouldn't see them doing that for more than special event or something. The new gimmick is the Terastal form, which they are most definitely going to give to Ash. Even if there wasn't a special form for Pikachu, it seems like it would be something they'd be willing to do given that he's already used Z-Moves and Gigantamax during their respective generations, even if Gigantamax is much more rarely used by comparison.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about them having the school for a home base. It would be at least set in the new region and make it easier to focus on new characters, Pokemon and locations, but having to go back to said home base at the end of every episode could still potentially backfire. It arguably worked the best with SM since Ash was still living in the newest region at the time and with the large cast, they couldn't really do the more typical traveling setup, but I definitely remember quite a bit of complaining at the time that he was staying in one place for most of the series. It still could work out more effectively than staying in Vermillion City was, but I do hope that they'll spend more time traveling through Paldea even if the school becomes another home base for Ash. After how Galar was treated so poorly during Journeys, I really want them to focus more heavily on the newest Pokemon and characters. I love getting to see older characters and surprise cameos as much as the next person, but I also want to see them showcasing new Pokemon and getting to learn about new characters in the anime too.

I guess at this point that the anime is being hard rebooted. You can't really go from the strongest trainer in the world to a school student.

I guess at this point that the anime is being hard rebooted. You can't really go from the strongest trainer in the world to a school student.
That is a bit of an assumption. While Ash going to this school does sound pretty likely, it's still a theory based on the newest trailer. The fact that there's a Champion rank also makes it possible that they'll have Ash at that rank from the start. Granted, that is also a theory and I wouldn't be too surprised if that doesn't happen exactly like people are expecting, mainly because of how they didn't have Ash take on the Galar Gym quest when they easily could have justified it by establishing them as extra strong Gym Leaders. But there's at least the possibility that Ash won't be regressed significantly.

Besides all that, Ash already went from Kalos League finalist to Pokemon School student, so this wouldn't be entirely unheard of. I know that getting to at least the PWC finals is different than the finals of the Kalos League, but my point is that they've done Ash reaching a huge height only for him to go to a school in the following series before. This wouldn't necessarily mean a hard reboot or a huge regress for Ash's battle skills.

Part of me hopes that Chloe might stay on as a regular, enrolls at the Academy alongside Ash who will act as her mentour
As much as I love Chloe, I can't see that happening either. The school setting would arguably fit her character more than it would with Goh's, but if she's struggling to get consistent focus in Journeys, I don't really see them keeping her for another series. They would probably give the new female lead an Eevee and potentially show off its Terastal forms through her instead of keeping Chloe for the next series. I think I already love Penny just for her design alone, so I kind of hope that she'll be the main female lead, or at least show up throughout the series.

Goh staying in the anime would literally make my year, lol.
We do see that Rotom Phones are in the new games and they’re kind of his thing. Plus he is a researcher at heart, he’d probably jump at the chance to enroll at a Pokémon-based school (he even got a taste of what it might have to offer in his Alola visits). And with the treasure hunt theme which allows them free exploration, he could still catch a lot of Pokémon and whatnot.
And I still wouldn’t be surprised if Hodaka is a villain who wants to capture Mew and is just getting stronger trainers to do it for him via Project Mew. Sort of like how Rose cultivated Leon to beat Eternatus when the time came. Though I don’t know how much time is left in the series for something like that. But I do see how it could be his exit if there’s no twist, and his main partners are still the Galar starters who will be irrelevant soon enough (though I guess they could have him rotate them out if they really wanted to), so I won’t be getting my hopes up if he ends up leaving. I could definitely see him being forced between joining Project Mew full-time or traveling with Ash in the final few episodes and him choosing to follow his dream.

Also it says that when you beat all 8 Gym Leaders you take the “Champion Assessment” and if you pass, you just get the rank of Champion. To me it sounds like there isn’t just one champion, there are multiple, and they as a group are made up of the strongest trainers. That makes it more realistic that Ash could win since he wouldn’t be the de facto champion, just one of a select few. Plus, I feel like Ash only being “Champion” of Alola makes more sense for his character, even if he wins the PWC. They’ll just have to focus on showing that Paldea trainers are strong and that not every powerful trainer in the world joined the PWC.

Though we don’t know anything about the other two storylines that will probably also pull from.
I love Goh as well. I want my boy to stay. He is more entertaining than Brock and Tracey were. And not annoying like Cilan. JK. I liked Cilan, too. But he was a little bit bland design-wise. I'd like Max more if he didn't have that weird dub voice.

Unless there is sarcasm involved, I doubt the writers even knew that Pokémon would go this far. Remember, the Gen 2 games were supposed to be the final ones.
Obviously. I was being facetious based on how the Orange Islands featured alternate colored Pokémon, Pokémon who had a semblance of regional variance, a trial based 4 gym system, giant Pokémon and a crystal Pokémon.

At this point I think that the anime isn't gonna do much with Paldea. There's not much they can do without making this saga BW 2.0.

At this point I think that the anime isn't gonna do much with Paldea. There's not much they can do without making this saga BW 2.0.
It’s a region that’s open world where there’s 3 story paths and champion level trainers. There’s a lot they have to work with. The only question is if the writers can actually make use of the potential rather than squander it.

It’s a region that’s open world where there’s 3 story paths and champion level trainers. There’s a lot they have to work with. The only question is if the writers can actually make use of the potential rather than squander it.
And all of them require Ash to be reset. It's hard to imagine the greatest trainer in the world doing a simple Gym challenge or going to school. This will definitely be BW 2.0.

And all of them require Ash to be reset. It's hard to imagine the greatest trainer in the world doing a simple Gym challenge or going to school. This will definitely be BW 2.0.
Not if one of the main quests involves exploration. If that is the case, then that could be the main plotline focused on, at least for Ash. I guess his other companion(s) would do the other paths

That is such a huge assumption. We just learned about the region, we've only seen one Gym Leader and know that there is a Champion Rank through going through the Gym Challenge. There are two other storylines for the game that we don't even know about yet. The idea that they can't do much with Palda or else it will become BW 2.0 is pretty ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if a regression for Ash. I mentioned before that I kind of suspect that will happen just because they have to keep him around as the main protagonist, but that isn't a guarantee.

No, they don't. The fact that there is a Champion Rank implies that there are multiple trainers in Paldea at the Champion level. I suspect that there will be probably one trainer from that rank that basically serves as the Champion since most generations do have their own unique Champion, but they could easily have Ash wanting to challenge all of the trainers in the Champion Rank. Considering how difficult most of the Gym challenges were for Ash, I don't think that going from the PWC to the Gym quest would be in itself a downgrade. Although, I've mentioned multiple times that I don't think the PWC is really that great to begin with. Despite defeating Champion level trainers, it still feels rather unimpressive, or at least the structural problems with the tournament and Ash's Journeys team arguably having more plot armor than believable strength makes it less satisfying than it should be for me. After ignoring most of the Galar Gym Leaders, I really don't want the Paldea Gym Leaders to suffer the same fate, so I really hope that Ash does battle them. The Gym Challenge has more structure, which I think the writers desperately need to make a goal work if their anime only goals are any indication, and they can be difficult opponents for Ash too, especially when they'd be battling with new Pokemon.

Would Ash going to a school and doing a Gym Leader mean that he'd be reset? Possibly. It would not be a stretch or even unlikely for that to happen. I still would not be surprised if they don't use the Champion Rank like people are speculating about either. Is it guaranteed to happen? Absolutely not and treating it as if the series will definitely be a BW 2.0 is just being needlessly negative based on nothing but assumptions. Ash went to a school for SM and that didn't lead to a huge regress for his skills either. They could easily do something similar for the next series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom