• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet anime (MODS' UPDATE 23/08/2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s false. She was the only companion to be called a protagonist in official media before Go came along.
I just found something like this in the curiosities about Satoshi's companions:
"Goh is Ash's first traveling companion to be officially classified as a protagonist instead of simply a traveling companion."

It follows that Dawn has never been officially classed as the protagonist.

I do recall that the Japanese version of DP opened up with saying that this is the story of Ash and Dawn, similar to how the opening of each Journeys episode describe Ash and Goh's goals and that this is their story. Basically Dawn was a co-protagonist by the virtue of that opening in all but name.

Regardless, I don't think Goh being labeled as a protagonist really gives him more of a chance to stick around. Project Mew seems tailor made as a way for him to eventually leave the show in order to find Mew on his own.

Another thing that makes Goh sticking around so difficult is the fact that he has all three Galar Starters, and his first Pokemon was Scorbunny. With how closely-tied he is to them, it'd be pretty difficult to justify keeping him around without them.

Now, if Goh's main partner had been a Pokemon with more staying power such as Eevee then we might have a stronger claim for him to stick around. But he doesn't. His main partner is a Gen 8 starter, and starters that aren't Charizard have a history of being rendered obsolete the instant their Generations end.

Another thing that makes Goh sticking around so difficult is the fact that he has all three Galar Starters, and his first Pokemon was Scorbunny. With how closely-tied he is to them, it'd be pretty difficult to justify keeping him around without them.

Now, if Goh's main partner had been a Pokemon with more staying power such as Eevee then we might have a stronger claim for him to stick around. But he doesn't. His main partner is a Gen 8 starter, and starters that aren't Charizard have a history of being rendered obsolete the instant their Generations end.
I strongly suspect Goh will be gone after Journeys ends. And good thing, too. As probably the most disliked, and almost certainly most controversial traveling companion ever (yes, I said traveling companion, I don't consider him a "protagonist", I don't care what the writers think,) his very presence in the show just stirs up even more controversy the longer he's in it. And honestly, through no fault of his own as a character. Blame the writers for giving him an unrealistic goal (even by the anime's standards,) coupled with poor execution, and then giving him a new goal so late into the series. If Goh had been a character in any other series (say, XY or DP,) he probably wouldn't have been as intolerable. (Although the catching literally everything goal was never going to work, no matter what series it was in.) So, it's probably for the best he leave after this series ends. (And hopefully they never implement a character like him ever again.) :cautious:

Why would it prevent him from possibly staying?
Nobody forbids him to take all three with him to Paldea.

They're literally his three main Pokemon. (Plus, Cinderace was his first Pokemon.) He uses them more than any of his others, to the point he appears on promotional ads and whatnot with just them.

That's not anime merch, there has no been no official merch for the next series yet. We always see pokemon drawn in anime style but not necessarily for the show.

It is since it has the TV Tokyo trademark, which all anime related stuff has and it comes out in November when the games do. Also it is no different then some of the products they did for SS.
View attachment 0000_pokemoncase.webp

He could take all three of his Galar starters to Paldea, but they wouldn't be marketing relevant. Goh is tied to the eighth generation more than I think people give him credit for. Not only because Cinderace is is first Pokemon, but he's always shown with at least one of his starters in official artwork. That is a pretty firm connection to the eighth generation and I don't think that they would just give him the Paldea starters to erase that connection. I certainly don't want that to happen since I'd rather the Paldea starters be distributed among the cast instead.

I love Goh and I still think he gets way too much hate, but I highly doubt he's going to stick around.

They're literally his three main Pokemon. (Plus, Cinderace was his first Pokemon.) He uses them more than any of his others, to the point he appears on promotional ads and whatnot with just them.
Do you really think Gou would leave Cinderace, Inteleon and Grookey to go to the new region?
Others had main pokémon, which they used more than others, and still had them when visiting the new region.

Therefore, Gou can still take his starters with him to Paldea.

Do you really think Gou would leave Cinderace, Inteleon and Grookey to go to the new region?
Others had main pokémon, which they used more than others, and still had them when visiting the new region.

Yeah, but they're not just his main Pokemon, Cinderace was his first Pokemon ever. It's very rare for a main character to leave their first Pokemon behind (I think Brock might have been the only one to do this.)

I and others have already explained why: the Gen 8 starters would no longer be relevant by then. It'd be all about the Gen 9 starters now.

It's precisely the fact that he wouldn't leave them what makes him sticking around unlikely. Fact is, the Gen 8 starters would no longer be relevant, as all the marketing would now be focused on Gen 9 and its starters, meaning keeping the Gen 8 starters would be weird. And since Goh would obviously not leave the Galar starters -and especially not his first Pokemon Cinderace- behind, then that means he probably can't stay part of the main cast in Gen 9.

The anime has been quite happy to change Go's shouldermon over time and to have Go's bond with his Pokémon be mostly off screen. There isn't really any reason to think they wouldn't be willing to give Go a Gen 9 starter and have him leave the Galar starters with the rest of his Pokémon.

And then what? Have him catch dozens of new Pokemon only to neglect them in favor of the Galar Starters like in JN? And what about the Paldea Starters? Will he have to balance two sets of Starters?

And then what? Have him catch dozens of new Pokemon only to neglect them in favor of the Galar Starters like in JN? And what about the Paldea Starters? Will he have to balance two sets of Starters?
Exactly. That style of catching in the anime needs to go the way of the dinosaurs.

It is since it has the TV Tokyo trademark, which all anime related stuff has and it comes out in November when the games do. Also it is no different then some of the products they did for SS.
View attachment 162821
It does but it's not for a specific series. There's no "real" advertisements or merch for whatever the next series is yet. We usually don't get those till September. Remember in 2006 the first poster with Dawn and Dialga/Palkia, or the early XY and SM posters? Those were the first things that announced a new series properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom