• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet anime (MODS' UPDATE 23/08/2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
With Gen 9 games confirmed to be Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, let's discuss how the anime may come into play when the games come out

Mod Note (23/08/2022):

It has come to our attention that the frequency of leaks being mentioned without spoiler tag has been increasing in this thread. We kindly ask you to keep the leaks and spoilers in the relevant Video Games section, and do not mention them here for the people who would try to ignore leaks and would not prefer to be exposed to these contents.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lowkey hope Ash gets a new set of gloves this time around. It used to give him a unique cool appearance, especially his last ones in XY were my favorite.

It seems rather controversial whether Ash going back to a gym quest would be a downgrade and repetitive or not in terms of the anime, but (assuming we have a regular gym quest in the new region) I would enjoy seeing Ash go on a gym quest again like he used to. It would also not hurt if he mentored a new trainer who goes on a gym quest. All in all, I'd take either.

But giving a realistic thought, I doubt the writers are keen on going back to old formula just like that. My strongest prediction is that we are not going to see the continuing of Ash & Goh world traveling. But just like the Pokémon school in Alola and world traveling research fellows in Journeys, we are going to see a unique format for Ash again. The question is, will the majority of characters be based on the next games, or all anime-exclusive like Sakuragi and his folks.

Last edited:
Either Ash will make it to the Master Class and the series will end there and the new series will be a fight with all eight Master 8.

The huge open world game, the new protagonists in the games possibly being schoolkids, and possible lack of Gyms doesn't really give the anime a lot to work with. I really can't see the writers confining Ash to one region again especially since there may not be much for him to do. Also remember how the SM anime didn't even adapt most of the totem pokemon battles for Ash, so like those and the ones in Arceus, if there are boss pokemon again we'll probably not see it.

There are far too many variables and we lack the crucial information to make any solid predictions as of yet.

For starters, as much as I like Gou and Chloe, I'm not convinced that they would carry over as the writing team may want a fresh start for everything (other than Ash & Pikachu of course) given the new Gen.

Is Ash even going to spend substantial time in PokéSpain? He didn't in Galar after all. Furthermore, we don't even know if Gyms are back in the games yet but assuming they are, I could only see the writers going back to the Badge Quest formula if they had some way to shake it up to keep it from getting stale.

The grass opening pokemon is meowth number two. The water pokemon is ducklet number.

In this time, i hope the girl who will be with ash had a grass opening if there is a girl

If I had control of the series, Gen 9 would be Ashless or mostly Ashless. We need some new blood in the series, and I think that most people wouldn't care if Ash was replaced.
Oh God no.

I do not want to deal with thst blowout, especially as he would most likely get replaced with Goh. Goh isn't bad at all, I just know that would make Kalos look cute

I'm kind of wondering if they might manage to adapt Journeys to include the new region. Hard to say...

The huge open world game, the new protagonists in the games possibly being schoolkids, and possible lack of Gyms doesn't really give the anime a lot to work with. I really can't see the writers confining Ash to one region again especially since there may not be much for him to do. Also remember how the SM anime didn't even adapt most of the totem pokemon battles for Ash, so like those and the ones in Arceus, if there are boss pokemon again we'll probably not see it.
I still don't really understand how being open world would mean that the anime doesn't have a lot to work with. There is still going to be a storyline, objectives for players to do and most likely an evil team or villain for the players to defeat. That still feels like a big conclusion to jump to with little to no information to back it up. We don't know if there are going to be boss Pokemon and despite how they handled the Totem Pokemon in SM, that wouldn't necessarily guarantee that any potential boss Pokemon would be handled the same way in this series.

I'd really like to see Ash go back to Gym battles. That might be hoping for too much, especially when we don't know if Gyms are even in the new games, but I think it would give the anime some much needed structure. It would make it easy for them to feature new characters, new Pokemon and new locations from the games. Considering that we haven't had a proper badge quest since XY, which ended about six years ago, I don't think it would be stale or boring. I remember watching Ash's first battle with Bea and wondered to myself why we were wasting time with the PWC when the third Gym Leader in Galar was so strong that it took Ash multiple attempts to actually defeat her. I really like the Galar Gym Leaders and I think it's a huge shame that Ash most likely isn't going to battle any more of them, aside from maybe Raihan. It is such a waste, especially when some of those battles were tough for me in the games. Giving the amount of time left for Journeys, I really have my doubts that we'll get any more appearances from the Galar Gym Leaders, which is just so disappointing to me.

I honestly don't think that Ash's PWC ranking will affect whatever they do with him in the next series. Not just because I don't think that the tournament is that big of a deal, but it took them about seventy episodes just to bring up Ash's Alola League victory and it wasn't at least an in-universe reason for Ash to take part in the PWC. They may mention it, but I don't think it's going to be a huge factor in determining what he'll do in the future.

At the very least, I really hope that the new series takes place in the new region, focus on the new Pokemon, feature characters from the games and showcase locations. I really love the Galar region, so many of its Pokemon and the Galar characters, but they were in large part ignored by Journeys. Although, as sad as it sounds, Hop being ignored is still better than giving him the SM Hau treatment. I don't want the new region, Pokemon and characters in S/V treated the same way. I just want them to actually promote the newest game and put more spotlight on the new generation instead of mainly focusing on older Pokemon, most of which are already popular.

While I do really like Goh and Chloe, I don't see either of them sticking around. I think giving Goh all of the Galar starters makes him more associated with that generation than anything else. Not to the same level as a character from the games, but I think he would be more associated with Cinderace and maybe Inteleon more so than any of his other captures. Plus, I always kind of figured that Goh would either go on a journey by himself after Journeys wrapped up or continued to work at the lab while Ash goes on a new adventure. Since Chloe's main focus seems to be based around Eeveelutions and they're almost covered all of them, I don't see her getting more attention in a new series. Chloe will probably find out what she'll want to do with Eevee near the end of the series so that she has something to work on off-screen.

Besides all that, I think it would make more sense to give Ash a new cast of characters to interact with. It would help to make the new series distinct and give them something potentially new to work with. We obviously don't know what characters could join the cast, but I really hope that we'll have a proper female lead with a battle active goal. I still maintain that Contests were the best goal they could have given to the female leads and the anime lost something important when they had to get rid of them. The pipe dream for me would be that S/V has Contests just so that the anime could include them again, especially when they still haven't found anything worthwhile as a replacement for Contests after all these years, but I don't see that happening sadly. I just want to get a female main character with a good amount of focus and development again. I really like Chloe. She's honestly a highlight of Journeys, but the lack of a proper main female lead in the series has always been a big issue for me. I just want the anime to have a female lead in the new cast with a good goal and good development.

Ah yes, the inevitable discussion about the next iteration of the anime once a new game has been announced. Obviously, we don't know very much about SV yet, so anything we can discuss at this point is going to be based off of pure inference.

In my opinion, even if these new games have gyms, I don't see the anime going back to Ash being on a badge quest. Gyms were a huge deal in SwSh, and they were dropped in the anime in favor of the World Championships. It's pretty clear at this point that the writers want to take the different storyline/goal route.

With that being said, I also don't see Ash leaving the anime. I know this is something that comes up every time a new series is upon us, which is why I'm going to make the same argument I make every single time this happens: it's now been 26 years, and Ash hasn't been replaced yet, so I really don't see it happening at this point. He and Pikachu are pretty much synonymous with the anime, so whether or not fans consider them stale (and I, selfishly, adore Ash) I don't think matters to the showrunners.

What I would like to see is Ash take on a slightly different role in whatever the new series may be. I have seen some theories going around that the protagonists in SV might be attending rival schools, hence the uniforms they're wearing. I would really like to see Ash, quite possibly as the new World Champion, serving as a mentor for a dual protagonist who is attending one of these schools. To me, that's an interesting way of "leveling" Ash up while still keeping him as (one of) the main protagonists and without him rehashing the Alola Pokémon School storyline. The "research fellow" take is extremely bland and comes across as an afterthought, so quite frankly, I have no desire to see them build on that or continue that angle. It's time to just focus on Ash being an actual trainer again. I also think the writers might have learned a lot about how to handle a dual protagonist approach with Journeys and could craft it even better this time around. Also, if the other protagonist could be a girl, even better. I think it was realized that the ball was dropped by not having Chloe more involved from the start of Journeys. I know if I was watching Journeys when I was a little girl, it would've bummed me out at the beginning of the series that the focus was always on two boys.

My biggest wish for this series, personally? Have it all take place in the new region. While the world travel premise was interesting, and I was really excited for it at first, I think most of us can agree that it worked out pretty poorly. Not only was the whole thing choppy and poorly executed, but it really does feel like Galar was shafted, which I think flat out sucks for a brand new region that should be heavily showcased. There were a lot of interesting aspects to Galar that were never featured, and while I know Journeys is still ongoing, the chances of them really focusing on those aspects are slim to none. And even if they are, waiting almost three years for that is unacceptable. I really want to explore the newest region, its Pokémon, and its characters. You want to visit a different region every once in a while, maybe as a field trip? Fine. But I sincerely hope they don't center the entire show around that premise again. The new region has got to be the forefront setting.

Open world structure emphasizes catching pokemon or story based missions, so it's one of the reasons I expect there to be no Gyms. Also am I remembering wrong or when Sword/Shield were revealed they revealed Gyms would be returning right away since they were absent in the SM games?

The lack of any mention of a Gym structure in these games makes me think they're not in them.

the new protagonists in the games possibly being schoolkids, and possible lack of Gyms doesn't really give the anime a lot to work with. I really can't see the writers confining Ash to one region again
Ironically the first sentence is the literal premise to the series the writers confined to a single region :p

Satoshi is not going to be dropped, ever.
They had chances, at the end of OG and AG for example, but refused to do so.

I prefer to have the Badge Quest back, it could have been repetitive until it was abandoned but still worked.
Their experiment, Journeys, have proven that they are unable to come up with a new, and engaging, goal for him.

For the mentor approach, that means that they will need to change the apprentice at the end of the series.
My issue with it if I become too attached to the mentee or their dynamics with Satoshi.
However, they wouldn't be Co-Protagonists as the new character will likely be the protagonist.

Definitely; they need to be in Citeria, my placeholder name for the region, at all times.
Either if travelling across it or having a Base in the School that hired Satoshi as tutor.
I don't want to see another region, and its characters/Pokemon, being so neglected.

Edit: No more Stus, Creator's Pets or Karma Houdinis this time, please.

I'm going to sound crazy but hear me out

Bring back Goh and Chloe to coincidence with the scarlet/violet themes

I've always thought Gou looked very Hispanic anyways and pushing his character development is very necessary

But that's just a silly fantasy

My biggest hope right now is that Journeys is indeed ending and Goh's time as a main character is coming to an end. I am seriously hoping that they don't suddenly decide we're gonna continue Journeys, only we're gonna add in Scarlett and Violet's region, Pokemon, and characters. It doesn't seem that likely given it seems we're approaching the endgame for Ash's story in Journeys at least.

My greatest hope though is just seeing Ash or an entirely new protagonist, with Ash as their mentor, traveling the Spain/Portugal inspired region on a badge quest. And yeah, I really hope Goh doesn't carry over to Gen 9 just to watch him capture anything that breathes then never see it again. Part of me has a feeling the writers aren't gonna though and move on to a different formula. After two generations of new formulas for the anime that haven't been executed as well as they could have, I just wanna see the badge quest again. Sun and Moon certainly was better than Journeys though. For the anime's target demographic, the badge quest would be fresh for them.

For Gen IX itself, I really hope its region, Pokemon, and characters are showcased a lot better than Galar's did. Galar got shafted big time. Especially the starters. I really want to see them debut together again and get to spend time with them. I want to see them interacting with each other. I actually wanna see all the Pokemon on the main cast handled better than Journeys did. And yeah, I don't wanna see all 3 go to a character that doesn't battle or have any competition based goal again. I wanna see the new region get the love previous regions that aren't Galar got.

One more thing, I hope they improve story wise and writing wise. Less rushed evolutions. Less off screen development. And I wanna see them move a bit away from the games again with the villains. I wanna see them build up a plot and switch things up rather than rushing through quick arcs to cover a game's antagonist climax in a carbon copy of how the games did it. I wanna see them take the Team Flare approach again with anime exclusive elements to that story. I wanna see them build the story up rather than suddenly go oh hey, we're gonna rush through this game's story year one in a four episode arc.

Overall, I just hope SV's anime is an improvement over Journeys.

Last edited:
Open world structure emphasizes catching pokemon or story based missions, so it's one of the reasons I expect there to be no Gyms. Also am I remembering wrong or when Sword/Shield were revealed they revealed Gyms would be returning right away since they were absent in the SM games?

The lack of any mention of a Gym structure in these games makes me think they're not in them.
I still think that that's a pretty big conclusion to jump to when we don't have really any solid information on the games. Sure, they're openly described as being open world, but that doesn't necessarily that Gyms wouldn't be in the games. Having Gyms wouldn't go against an open world format. It's true that the initial Sword/Shield reveal trailer showed off Gyms. I thought that they didn't confirm Gyms returning until they showed off Dynxamax, but I just double checked and they showed at least the first Gym. Although, they showed off more locations in that trailer than they did for Scarlet/Violet, so that's a pretty big difference.

Just because they didn't mention a Gym in these games doesn't mean that they don't exist. We don't know anything about the games aside from the starters. It definitely isn't impossible for them to not have Gyms and even if they do, it definitely doesn't guarantee that they'll be featured in the anime. I just don't think it's fair to be certain about what the games will be or will have when we have virtually no information about them. Making assumptions based on the term open world isn't the same thing as confirmed information from trailers/the official website.

I still think that that's a pretty big conclusion to jump to when we don't have really any solid information on the games. Sure, they're openly described as being open world, but that doesn't necessarily that Gyms wouldn't be in the games. Having Gyms wouldn't go against an open world format. It's true that the initial Sword/Shield reveal trailer showed off Gyms. I thought that they didn't confirm Gyms returning until they showed off Dynxamax, but I just double checked and they showed at least the first Gym. Although, they showed off more locations in that trailer than they did for Scarlet/Violet, so that's a pretty big difference.

Just because they didn't mention a Gym in these games doesn't mean that they don't exist. We don't know anything about the games aside from the starters. It definitely isn't impossible for them to not have Gyms and even if they do, it definitely doesn't guarantee that they'll be featured in the anime. I just don't think it's fair to be certain about what the games will be or will have when we have virtually no information about them. Making assumptions based on the term open world isn't the same thing as confirmed information from trailers/the official website.
If the writers wrote team rocket off in favor development for Ash I'd be very pleased. If Pokemon was willing to break old traditions ( which they are.. ) then Ash could age throughout the series. If they must bring back team rocket they must get serious. I want the brotherly Ash we got in DP and XY with a little less unpredictability. But seeing as we're getting yet another battle gimmick I don't know how they'll work around that.

My dream would be for a KOTOR-style mission structure, where the choices feel seamless and could be done in almost any order. Unfortunately, I don't expect them to do that as that takes a lot of work and pre-planning to pull off well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom