• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet anime (MODS' UPDATE 23/08/2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want Ash and Serena’s kid as protagonist and/or good writing
Only one of these things is possible at a time.

Also, I'm going to say something kind of out there, but I feel like there's no need to return to the old format of the show. I'm not necessarily going as far as to say "Satoshi is totally leaving after this series, guys!!" since that is always brought up towards the end of each series and is always laughable, but I also don't totally rule it out either. But I'm kind of getting vibes that we aren't returning to the old format any time soon:

• The main anime isn't really interested in advertising the new games, at least not like how it used to be. We have things like Twilight Wings and that upcoming Legends: Arceus animated web series that seem to be more of the dedicated "animated adaptation" than the mainline anime. Oh sure, this has been a thing for years (Origins, Generations, Evolutions) but this is the first time the main series isn't even really trying to follow the games, at least not as closely as before.
  • The idea of "Satoshi travels around the world, encounters most of his previous friends and his most well-remembered rivals" is probably the best way for this show to end
  • There is clearly some decision the Rocket trio isn't used as much anymore
  • The show has been running for 25 years, while I know that's not the longest-running show ever, it's nothing to sneeze at

Most of these reasons could be used to argue that the "Journeys" formula could be here to stay instead of going back to region-specific stories. Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm sure the more episodic formula is easier to plan from a writing perspective compared to a series like Diamond&Pearl where it was much tighter and also had a time limit (ie ending right as the Generation V games came out). I'm not saying I think the show is definitely ending at the end of this year, and I know there's flaws in this logic. I know with this franchise the thing that makes most sense and the thing that actually happens aren't usually the same thing, and this could all be completely meaningless.

What I'm saying is this time next year, if the current series is still running (maybe with some episodes in the new region and with the new Pokemon added in) I won't be surprised. If the mainline anime has ended I won't be surprised. If they go back to "Satoshi + girl playable character + gym leader travel around the new region for 3 years and vaguely follow the games' story" I'll be somewhat surprised.

The problem with the concept of Journey's continuing is that... I'm not sure where they could possibly go with the plot without the series devolving into nothing but filler. No way in hell can they stretch out the last 8 ranks of the PWC and Project Mew for another 3 or 4 years. So they would need new major plot points that span the whole time span but I can't imagine any that would make sense.

Only one of these things is possible at a time.

Also, I'm going to say something kind of out there, but I feel like there's no need to return to the old format of the show. I'm not necessarily going as far as to say "Satoshi is totally leaving after this series, guys!!" since that is always brought up towards the end of each series and is always laughable, but I also don't totally rule it out either. But I'm kind of getting vibes that we aren't returning to the old format any time soon:

• The main anime isn't really interested in advertising the new games, at least not like how it used to be. We have things like Twilight Wings and that upcoming Legends: Arceus animated web series that seem to be more of the dedicated "animated adaptation" than the mainline anime. Oh sure, this has been a thing for years (Origins, Generations, Evolutions) but this is the first time the main series isn't even really trying to follow the games, at least not as closely as before.
  • The idea of "Satoshi travels around the world, encounters most of his previous friends and his most well-remembered rivals" is probably the best way for this show to end
  • There is clearly some decision the Rocket trio isn't used as much anymore
  • The show has been running for 25 years, while I know that's not the longest-running show ever, it's nothing to sneeze at

Most of these reasons could be used to argue that the "Journeys" formula could be here to stay instead of going back to region-specific stories. Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm sure the more episodic formula is easier to plan from a writing perspective compared to a series like Diamond&Pearl where it was much tighter and also had a time limit (ie ending right as the Generation V games came out). I'm not saying I think the show is definitely ending at the end of this year, and I know there's flaws in this logic. I know with this franchise the thing that makes most sense and the thing that actually happens aren't usually the same thing, and this could all be completely meaningless.

What I'm saying is this time next year, if the current series is still running (maybe with some episodes in the new region and with the new Pokemon added in) I won't be surprised. If the mainline anime has ended I won't be surprised. If they go back to "Satoshi + girl playable character + gym leader travel around the new region for 3 years and vaguely follow the games' story" I'll be somewhat surprised.
The fact that with the latest preview of things to come they emphasize that things are coming to their climax, I can’t see this series going on beyond the 8th generation. It seems more likely that this change in format existed to create a series that celebrated the franchise and the anime’s 25th anniversary. Plus with the PWC reaching its climax, I can’t really see a reason for them to have Ash traveling around the world once that’s over since that was their main plot for him this time around and, as the start of Journeys showed, Ash’s story is pretty empty without some narrative driving it. Simply going around the world for the sake of it isn’t enough.

if the current series is still running (maybe with some episodes in the new region and with the new Pokemon added in)
And once again, a region would be lacking focus and many of its Characters and Pokemon won't get an appearance.

This World Tour aspect has been the Anime's Biggest Mistake to date.
Not only meant that Galar got the short end of the stick, it didn't get handled properly with so many episodes in Kanto.

Scarlet and Violet's Region, still calling it Citeria, must have its own series.

I really hope we return to the travelling dynamic from before SM.

SM was really good tho, but Journeys is meh for me. Specially Goh, it's not that I don't like him but I find him... boring.

Chloe could have been nice but since she caught Eevee she became irrelevant.

This feels more like a 25th Years Celebration anime. So maybe we will go back to the status quo..

Well who nows, we will have to play the waiting game.

Oh I hate that game.

Usually it seems like Ash doesn't wear the protagonist's outfits if it would be too far a departure from his original look. Which is the case with the gen 2 3 and 8 outfits.
Like was said here before the main issue in those situations is that those outfits are more red instead of ash's usual blue.
So Ash probably wont wear the Gen 9 protag outfit either, sense they are mostly white with a bit of orange/purple, with the only blue being the on the scarlet version hat which ash never shares with the protag.

Edit: I will add that ash also didn't really wear the gen 4 protag outfit either, probably because it was a pretty plain black shirt (also a tie, ash would never wear a tie).
So really he only wears the protag outfit's in Unova, Kalos and Alola.

Last edited:
Usually it seems like Ash doesn't wear the protagonist's outfits if it would be too far a departure from his original look. Which is the case with the gen 2 3 and 8 outfits.
Like was said here before the main issue in those situations is that those outfits are more red instead of ash's usual blue.
So Ash probably wont wear the Gen 9 protag outfit either, sense they are mostly white with a bit of orange/purple, with the only blue being the on the scarlet version hat which ash never shares with the protag.

Edit: I will add that ash also didn't really wear the gen 4 protag outfit either, probably because it was a pretty plain black shirt (also a tie, ash would never wear a tie).
So really he only wears the protag outfit's in Unova, Kalos and Alola.
Actually Ash’s outfit from Gen 4 was almost the same as Lucus’. The only real changes that were made was he didn’t have the hat, scarf and had a different pair of jeans. Lucus’ shirt has the same design as Ash’s, just the yellow stripe is more pale in color.
OIP.pJfBhjgTkHu06rYkT54gbAHaEK

If it's overall better than Journeys then I'll be satisfied. This series started up very promisingly up until they gave Ash a Riolu, following which it became roughly 70-80% wince-material with some actual enjoyable moments sprinkled here and there. Which have now become increasingly sparse in recent months thanks to ever more absurd plot-armor from our "beloved" protagonist and the appearance of you know what.

As with SM regarding XY, the SV series is gonna have to earn its keep in the wake of such a personally alienating predecessor.

If it's overall better than Journeys then I'll be satisfied. This series started up very promisingly up until they gave Ash a Riolu, following which it became roughly 70-80% wince-material with some actual enjoyable moments sprinkled here and there. Which have now become increasingly sparse in recent months thanks to ever more absurd plot-armor from our "beloved" protagonist and the appearance of you know what.
If you're so turn off by Greninja or Lucario or Ash being strong I don't know what to tell you. I read your previous posts where you said you quit XY because Greninja knocked down Diantha's Gardevoir even though that wasn't even a proper battle. And not all of us have a negative reaction to certain pokemon.

If it comes down to Ash using an Oshawott in the Unova league and failing against Cameron, or what we have from XY onward, I'll take the latter.

This is what the next series or what JN should have been with the PWC using ALL of Ashs Pokemon: After JN (assuming Ash becomes world monarch) he travels with Serena (who became the top coordinator of contest lives or contests) as they defend their titles. Ash uses ALL of his old Pokémon against top trainers as he defends he title while realizing that he is falling in love with Serena. The series resolves plot points such as Ash’s dad and Team Rocket and at the end of the series we get a time skip and Ash and Serena’s kid becomes the protagonist with Ash mentoring them.

This will NOT be 100% true since this is just a prediction.

Ash is gonna have a Fuecoco, The regional bird, Fighting type rabbit, Regional Golduck, Rock/Dragon Pseudo Legendary, and Fairy/Psychic Elf Mythical.

Goh is Gonna return to catch some generation 9 Pokemon like Quaxly. But if Grookey does not evolve in episode 113 of journeys, I doubt he will evolve here.

The female protagonist will be here and Sprigatito will be her starter.

Jessie will catch the regional Ekans while James has a regional Tauros/Hawlucha.

Fuecoco and Sprigatito will evolve twice while Quaxly will stay unevolved (Maybe evolving once).

There will be 210 episodes and (Of course) 3 Seasons.

I may be wrong but I hope this is what the generation 9 anime ends up like.

Judging by the trailer there's not much you can say for the anime. It looks mostly open world, we saw two new professors and some new pokemon and legendaries.

But doesn't seem like much for Ash to do. Maybe they'll keep the world tour format

Maybe they'll keep the world tour format
I genuinely can't see it being dragged on beyond Project Mew and Pokémon World Championships. Especially as we know now that they are setting up the finale of these two arcs within months.

If it were to continue though, I am afraid of the future of the series, given that Galar Pokémon barely got any justified attention while a big chunk of them still await to debut. I can't imagine how worse it would get after yet another generation does not get enough attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom