• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet anime (MODS' UPDATE 23/08/2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking, when can we expect to start getting info about the next series (assuming PM2019 will end). I don't remember how early the previous series were announced.
On September 1st, we just learned that the series would be called simply "Pocket Monsters", and it would focus on all regions instead of simply Galar, with a little announcement that we would get some news on September 29th.

But one thing to keep in mind is that it was announced before the end of Alola League arc, after SM137. The league continued for 7 more episodes after that.

On September 27th, the artwork for the series has been leaked (the one Ash and Goh posing in front of lots of Pokémon and characters).

2 days later, the artwork has been confirmed to be official. We also learned Goh's name, his goal to catch all Pokémon in order to get Mew, his partner being Scorbunny, and the airdate of first two episodes.

In early October, nothing major happened. They just showed some further artworks of Ash and Goh visiting different regions.

That is until October 11th, when Sakuragi and Koharu were revealed within his lab in Vermilioın City. This is 2 days before Ash vs Kukui battle has been concluded.

On October 27th, the screenshots of first episode has been revealed, focusing on Kangaskhan and Pichu.

November 1st confirmed that the first episode would focus on before Ash and Pikachu met, gave us the episode title and a preview.

And the series started on November 17th.

They have been drastically secretive about information compared to the past series.

On September 1st, we just learned that the series would be called simply "Pocket Monsters", and it would focus on all regions instead of simply Galar, with a little announcement that we would get some news on September 29th.

And the series started on November 17th.

They have been drastically secretive about information compared to the past series.
Thanks for all the research. It will be interesting to see their approach with the next series.

If Serebii's past reports are anything to go by, we should start hearing about the Gen 9 anime
by either next month at the earliest or September at the latest.

AG was apparently announced in July 2002 in a teaser attached to Movie 5 during its theatrical run in Japan:

DP was revealed via Corocoro in July 2006 with several promos only focusing on Dawn
while Ash would be confirmed to return in September:

BW was revealed July 2010 with Iris and Cilan being revealed first.
Ash was confirmed to return a few weeks later after the Sinnoh League ended.

XY was announced June 30th, 2013 with the reveal of Ash's new clothes.
Clemont, Bonnie and Serena were eventually confirmed as his traveling companions in the following months.

Sun & Moon was announced with the reveal that Ash would enroll in the Pokémon School in Alola
in September 2016 following the conclusion of the Team Flare climax arc:

Last edited:
I love Goh, but I have a hard time imagining him sticking around, especially when I don't see them doing the world tour gimmick after Journeys. Plus, Project Mew seems tailored made to give Goh something to work towards in off-screen land. It wouldn't be impossible, but I think that they'd rather have new characters for Ash to bounce off of instead of keeping to the same Ash and Goh dynamic for another hundred or so episodes.

Something on the official site that immediately struck me:

The Paldea region has a Pokémon League and a special class of pro-rank Pokémon Trainers who have achieved the Champion Rank. These Trainers have grown with their Pokémon to be able to dazzle audiences with their skills in battle.
Source: The Story — Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet | Official Website
So multiple champions. I guess we know how they can keep Ash around after Master Eight.

I really don't think Goh's staying.

The whole Project Mew/Chaser thing is pretty much his ticket out of this series.

So yeah it does look like the academy is probably gonna be a big part of the new anime and Ash will enroll for it.

Ash be taking a page from Jaden Yuki, lol.

Also the guy with the hair around his left eye sure looks like he'd be the Brock of the group.

The new gimmick looks dumb (I hate the dumb crystals on the head)
Fidough is ok but it looks like Winnie the Pooh
Wooper looks great
Cetitan looks ugly af
I hope the games and anime have a more mature tone. Please no Ash as the main protag and as one of the champions (or the ultimate Pokemon Master) instead with his and Serena’s kid taking part in the school. Also the headmaster or bio teacher looks like a villain

Man, the whole "Treasure Hunt" thing does sound like a serendipitous reason to keep Gou in, but will they do it I wonder... :unsure:
Can’t really see that considering that none of the things that they presented as a story in the Treasure Hunt as something of a Go goal. What is interesting though is, them saying that there’s 3 paths does lend to them being able to give a group of 3 a goal for each character.

I really don't think Goh's staying.

The whole Project Mew/Chaser thing is pretty much his ticket out of this series.

So yeah it does look like the academy is probably gonna be a big part of the new anime and Ash will enroll for it.

Also the guy with the hair around his left eye sure looks like he'd be the Brock of the group, lol.
Yeah Arven does look like he'll be the Brock of the group. The brother figure/Cook. And there is a chance Penny will the female companion.
I hope the games and anime have a more mature tone. Please no Ash as the main protag and as one of the champions (or the ultimate Pokemon Master) instead with his and Serena’s kid taking part in the school. Also the headmaster or bio teacher looks like a villain
Ash is most likely still going to remain as the protagonist as he has yet to become master. Beating Leon is just one of his steps to become a pokemon master.

Gimmick wise I can already see the Terrastalize gimmick being way way easier to animate than with Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing where the Pokémon are huge and they have to be as slow as possible.

Also kinda makes it easier for Ash's Pikachu as well since you don't have to put your Pokémon back into it's ball to use it and it's pretty much 99% guaranteed they'll both use it.

I guess they really wanted to do the school plot from SM again. I wonder why? Was it popular in Japan or with the taget audience?

I think SM worked since it sometimes had some more serious plots like Lillie's mental health/family issues, Mallow and Litten's arc focusing on grief.

The XY games didn't have the best story but the anime made up for it by having Ash be more like his DP self, having a good villain arc, good rival and it even flirted with the idea of having some romance.

My point is both XY and SM had some mature content that everyone could enjoy. It's important to have a balance. I don't think they can keep relying on Eevee promotion, Go and fanservice/cameos like they have in Journeys.

While the anime aim to be as "original" as it can be by liberating itself from the static formula of the games' Gym quest in the past two series, I think Scarlet & Violet is the perfect time for the anime to stick to the games as close as it used to be, and be "original" as it desires to be at the same time. Since it is open world and there are three different stories to unfold, the anime can take any route as it pleases and give us a series accordingly. It also fits with "setting in one place" aspect of it with the school being that one.

Unless he'll be teaching there, I feel like Ash would enroll there instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom