• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Predictions/Speculation/Discussion Thread

Finally! Gosh I am so ready for this. We're not just getting a trailer though, we're getting a whole freaking Presents along with it. I really hope that means they will go more in-depth about this open world and how it functions. Since the second trailer that's one of the things I've been the most curious about. I am also looking forward to seeing more of the region itself and the new Pokemon and characters it brings us.

Looking at the SWSH reveal cycle, we are for sure getting info on the main gimmick, at least one gym leader (I don't think they will reveal the Elite 4 and Champion at all before the release) and 3 or 4 mons, which most likely contains a regional form.

I just heard about the Presents :bulbaLove: I'm excited. It has been a minute since the last trailer, so this will be nice. I've got my fingers crossed to get some information on customization and maybe also some version exclusives.

Oh hey a Pokemon Presents nice, just hope SV doesn't end up being a super small part of it.

Edit: According to the Japanese tweet its 20 Minutes long which I think is the usual. Probably going to be the usual 2-4 minute long trailer but you never know.

Last edited:
FINALLY! We've gone so absurdly long without significant news (even compared to past games) and we're way behind in terms of the basic mechanics and features for this game, that my expectations are through the roof on this. There's a lot that we're due or even overdue to learn about including:

-THE REGION NAME/MAP!!! (we normally should've known this at least 2 months ago, this is way late now)
-Whatever they're doing with field moves (Riding Pokemon? Something like the Rotom Bike or Corviknight Taxi? Something else?)
-How much the battle mechanics are like LA vs. traditional Pokemon games
-Whatever they're doing with gyms
-The burst gimmick
-Regional variants
-The evil team
-The Amie/Refresh/Camp equivalent
-Other significant new mechanics or side modes

We should see most (although probably not all) of this covered tomorrow, we really need that June 2019-esque blowout about now (really we needed that in June, but what's done is done). If we can get at least like, 5 or 6 of these covered that should be good. If not... well that's a major oof for this game and I'd start to have serious concerns about the amount of content in this game.

Just when I was about to post the news drought meme... Kyogre decided to spoil the fun.

NewsDrizzleMeme.jpg

This is how the news cycle should work from now on.
don't make me smack you... This is the worst news cycle so far. Reminder that this is a NEW GENERATION. IT IS A NEW SET OF GAMES IN A NEW REGION. And the advertising is worse than a REMAKE. I don't understand how ANYONE can have this train of thought - unless this was an attempt at comedic sarcasm...

I don't know, I just like sparse news cycles for some reason in general, not just with Pokemon.

don't make me smack you... This is the worst news cycle so far. Reminder that this is a NEW GENERATION. IT IS A NEW SET OF GAMES IN A NEW REGION. And the advertising is worse than a REMAKE. I don't understand how ANYONE can have this train of thought - unless this was an attempt at comedic sarcasm...
Tbh, the worst news cycles have been the ones where they spoil half of the game and barely leave anything to find for yourself. They really need to find the middle ground between share nothing and share everything. But until they do or bring back the CoroCoro and the variety shows as breaking news sources...limited info is fine. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. Especially since Pokémon sells no matter what.

Tbh, the worst news cycles have been the ones where they spoil half of the game and barely leave anything to find for yourself. They really need to find the middle ground between share nothing and share everything. But until they do or bring back the CoroCoro and the variety shows as breaking news sources...limited info is fine. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. Especially since Pokémon sells no matter what.
Generation VII was really the era where they pretty much spoiled everything beforehand. Since then, they've significantly toned down the amount and frequency of prerelease info.

My ideal news cycle would've been if Game Freak announced the mainline game only 2 months before they actually released it. That way, there would be no pressure to spill info about the games due to the news cycle being much, much shorter.

Plus it would make the playerbase think, "Good to see Game Freak take a well earned break!" since no game announcement was made... And then, BOOM! A game comes out just 2 months away. Think of all the crazy hype people would have - And we wouldn't have all this burnout for wanting to know Every. Single. Detail. about the game, and letting the leakers wreck havoc on the minds of all major Pokefans everywhere.

My ideal news cycle would've been if Game Freak announced the mainline game only 2 months before they actually released it. That way, there would be no pressure to spill info about the games due to the news cycle being much, much shorter.

Plus it would make the playerbase think, "Good to see Game Freak take a well earned break!" since no game announcement was made... And then, BOOM! A game comes out just 2 months away. Think of all the crazy hype people would have - And we wouldn't have all this burnout for wanting to know Every. Single. Detail. about the game, and letting the leakers wreck havoc on the minds of all major Pokefans everywhere.
Honestly yeah, I kinda like this way of revealing games. You don't have to wait too long for the game to come out too.

I mean I'm no marketing expert, but generally most marketing cycles don't cram the biggest details in the last month or two so it probably wouldn't matter. It's funny, this was just being discussed in regards to Splatoon 3, the Splatoon fandom is nervous about that game because it's looking to be very similar to Splatoon 2 with 3 mainly recycling mechanics and gameplay modes from 2 and the game releases in a month with some people holding out hope that there might be a Splatoon Direct that reveals something new to make the game look more original. But Arlo, a prominent Nintendo Youtuber, posted a video about this topic and he mentioned how usually when we're at this point in the marketing cycle (about 1-2 months out), if we're still waiting for "that big hook" that does something new and original like this, it usually doesn't exist and the game is what people are afraid it's going to be.

There's probably a reason for that. If you hold off too many key details until too close to release they have less time to spread around through word of mouth, social media, search algorithms, etc. Wait too late until release and it probably doesn't make the rounds to potential buyers that are less tuned in to news on upcoming games. So I'm guessing marketing experts are probably intentionally revealing the bulk of the features around 3-6 months before release to maximize exposure and give the casual fans an opportunity to notice the game and its features and buy it. I think they might be intentionally avoid doing something like what you suggest because they think it'll get less sales.

As for my "ideal" marketing cycle it would probably be something like SwSh, but with the game revealed in May instead of February. Come out of the gate about 6 months out from release and reveal a significant amount of info each month, but still leave some mystery for the final release.

This is the same sort of thing that Splatoon 3 went through with a reveal, then nothing, then another small trailer, and then finally a Direct. BotW 2 is still one of the biggest and most anticipated games...despite its only marketing really just being a reveal and a delay notice. If you're a fan of something, you're probably going to buy the shiny new game either way.

Hype is already generated by the inital announcement. Once people know something they like coming out they're probably going to see it and stay exited over it. For most people there really isn't a need to sustain that hype.

Back
Top Bottom