• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Predictions/Speculation/Discussion Thread

I don't know if someone's already mentioned this, but I couldn't help but notice the fact that the names of the different transformation gimmicks seem to follow a bit of a pattern revolving around metric prefixes:
  • Mega Evolution
  • Gigantamax
  • Terastal
I assume the next one will contain the "peta-" (P, quadrillion) prefix.

I assume the next one will contain the "peta-" (P, quadrillion) prefix.
I kinda doubt it as for one thing Gigantamax isn't a reference to a "giga-" but a play on "gigantic", secondly it isn't even called that in the original Japanese anyways but "Kyodaimax" instead. Thirdly you left out Gen 7's transformation gimmick which was "Ultra Burst" which doesn't fit the pattern since ultra isn't part of the metric system.

I kinda doubt it as for one thing Gigantamax isn't a reference to a "giga-" but a play on "gigantic", secondly it isn't even called that in the original Japanese anyways but "Kyodaimax" instead. Thirdly you left out Gen 7's transformation gimmick which was "Ultra Burst" which doesn't fit the pattern since ultra isn't part of the metric system.
ultra burst doesn't really count as only 1 pokemon can do it. gen 7's gimmick was Z-moves.

Finally someone said it. I thought I was the only one finding it insanely boring all these descendents were either spitting images or just outright genderbent.

It's why I dig Irida and Adaman a lot more. They don't seem to have a descendent and were allowed to live on their own merit as character, unlike Volo who already started off with the advantage of being able to piggyback off of Cynthia. (Which is also why I hated people reaching to find Adaman and Irida ancestors. Let them live man. Not everything has to be a knock off from a present day character.)
I mean it's for players recognizebility. How else can you tell a character is someone's ancestor? They can't directly refer to them since they're generations apart.

Also is anyone else disappointed Rowan didn't have a photo of Kamado in his office in bdsp? They were the one ancestor they did confirm and it would have made sense for him to have it.

Things that don't make sense is the region forgetting The galaxy team and their entire building disappeared from jubilife and not kept as a historical landmark.

I mean it's for players recognizebility. How else can you tell a character is someone's ancestor? They can't directly refer to them since they're generations apart.

Also is anyone else disappointed Rowan didn't have a photo of Kamado in his office in bdsp? They were the one ancestor they did confirm and it would have made sense for him to have it.

Things that don't make sense is the region forgetting The galaxy team and their entire building disappeared from jubilife and not kept as a historical landmark.
the region did not forget the Galaxy Team, we fight them and their leader Cyrus at various points in the plot. (yes, they are the same. look at their japanese names.) as for their building being gone, well, it would make sense for a building to be repurposed after they moved their base to Veilstone.

the region did not forget the Galaxy Team, we fight them and their leader Cyrus at various points in the plot. (yes, they are the same. look at their japanese names.) as for their building being gone, well, it would make sense for a building to be repurposed after they moved their base to Veilstone.
They do in fact forget the galaxy team. First there is Kamado himself who says they will eventually be forgotten (despite colonizing the region?)
Second several chatacter including Rowan have no idea who team galactic is (In jubilife when they stop him for research papers he has no idea what their deal is, despite his great whatever grand pa starting the group. You think they would be very well known if they survived into present day. The assumption is the group dissolved and then Cyrus having been kept the information as cyllene said she would, restarted the group for his own goals.

Also are we to assume the galaxy team pretty much made the diamond and pearl clans disband? Also the nobles I guess died out?along with Hisuian pokemon. Kinda screwed up how much of Sinnohs history must have been scrubbed from the colonization.

i assumed the diamond and pearl clans just assimilated into mainstream Sinnoh society. after all, their descendants are seen throughout modern Sinnoh, acting as gym leaders and such. We even see some clan members like Arezu move into Jubilife Village during the story of Legends, further showing that they might just have gone up in that society.

You don't have to recognize someone's ancestor. It doesn't matter. It matters little for the plot or otherwise in the grand scheme of things. It's a nice easter egg but other than that influences literally 0 other than that some characters get a popularity boost for happening to be the ancestor of a popular character. Adaman and Irida didn't have any modern-day counterparts and everywhere I go I see people at least greatly like those. It genuinely matters 0.

I mean it's for players recognizebility.
I'll take clues and hints to someone being an ancestor of a character over being so blatant to the point you just make the character very similar to their descendant. It's pretty condescending in my opinion and makes the devs seem to think that the player is too stupid to figure out for themselves without just making it blatantly obvious.

Plus like RK9 said, what did these characters being ancestors to future characters even do for these characters besides making the player go "oh, they are an ancestor of a character in a game from 2006 because they look basically the same"? Nothing, it did nothing, at least when it comes to the story.

Making ancestors extremely obvious in LA is one of the things i wished the game didn't do and it was pretty disappointing that it did.

It's a game for children. No one is insulting you or anyone elses' intelligence.
You can make a game for children and still insult their intelligence. Obviously i was just making an assumption but that what's it feels like.
there's zero reason to act so personally offended over it.
Who's acting personally offended by it here? Don't confuse being disappointed with being offended.

The assumption is the group dissolved and then Cyrus having been kept the information as cyllene said she would, restarted the group for his own goals.
Certainly plausible. Aside from Cyrus's lineage, Team Galactic bears no resemblance to the Galaxy Team. You can find a number of real-world examples of this
Kinda screwed up how much of Sinnohs history must have been scrubbed from the colonization.
Well, if you look at real-world colonialism...

You can make a game for children and still insult their intelligence. Obviously i was just making an assumption but that what's it feels like.
Personally, I thought it was a fun little shoutout to the characters from games set in the future. Some kid is going to see it and probably feel the same way if they were around for the games they refrenced (namely Gens 5 and 6). As it stands right now, Adaman is probably related to Jacq. So its not like they're going to suddenly drop making references to decendants.

I mean this is the franchise with the anime where all the NPCs look alike because they're related. Why can't the games do the same but tweak the designs a bit to make them less 1:1 clones of each other? In all my years liking Pokémon, this is the first time where similar character designs meaning ancestors and relatives has caused such controversy. Does nobody understand cartoon logic anymore?

Personally, I thought it was a fun little shoutout to the characters from games set in the future. Some kid is going to see it and probably feel the same way if they were around for the games they refrenced (namely Gens 5 and 6). As it stands right now, Adaman is probably related to Jacq. So its not like they're going to suddenly drop making references to decendants.

I mean this is the franchise with the anime where all the NPCs look alike because they're related. Why can't the games do the same but tweak the designs a bit to make them less 1:1 clones of each other? In all my years liking Pokémon, this is the first time where similar character designs meaning ancestors and relatives has caused such controversy. Does nobody understand cartoon logic anymore?
to my knowledge, Legends only referenced gen 4, not gens 5 and 6

wasn't gaeric Crasher Wake's ancestor? forgot about the Clay dude though.

i keep forgetting Ingo was from gen 5. I never play the battle subway or any of the other battle tower equivalents, so i honestly didn't recognise him.

I actually really liked the way LA did ancestors. In some ways it felt a bit like recasting an ensemble in new roles. It is goofy and silly, but that's kind of what the Pokemon world is a lot of the time.

I do think fans tried a bit too hard to stretch some possible connections though. I think that if it isn't immediately obvious, then the two characters aren't related (like some people trying to connect Irida or whoever to a modern character). The original character designs might reappear as descendants in future modern era games.

I would disagree that they didn't actually do anything with the concept. Certainly there were incidences where it was just for fun and had no effect that I could tell (Volkner/Ginter, for instance). But they also used it to highlight the Agatha/Bertha connection that had been implied but never outright stated (and still hasn't been but you know, it's super clear). They used it to make the Beni reveal more meaningful, as the player goes "aha" and realizes that this weak-seeming old man is actually a formidable opponent, just as his sickly descendant will grow to be.

They mostly use it to turn expectations on their head and to play with dramatic irony-- turning enemies into friends and friends into enemies through repeated character designs, a la Majora's Mask, and giving the player the sense of "I know your family tree is going to take a turn for the worse and I can't do anything about it." Just the fact that the player is working for Team Galactic is meant to give you this sense of dissonance, but doing it on an individual character level makes it feel more personal.

And lastly-- I've never seen this discussed anywhere, but this read on it seems very clear and intentional to me-- it plays with ambiguity and letting the player wonder what's more thematically appropriate. We spend the entire marketing cycle and game knowing that Volo is Cynthia's ancestor, he even has her interest in mythology and pops up throughout the journey, just as she did. And then in the eleventh hour we meet Cogita and get the big Volo reveal and we're suddenly left with some intentional ambiguity-- which one is Cynthia's ancestor? The villain or the wise old sage? They both resemble her, but from their interactions it's clear that despite being from the same clan, they're not directly related to each other. They certainly don't seem destined for love and Cogita seems too old to go on to have kids by Volo besides.

I don't think we'll ever get an answer, and I think that's the point. Cynthia's (perhaps aside from Cyrus?) the most major gen 4 character and she's gone on to several reappearances. She's a prominent figure that many fans recognize and feel attached to. So would they rather think of her as having a flawless, noble lineage, or is it more interesting or appropriate if, like Rowan, she had a more murky family history that directly opposed the player?

I dunno, I think it's fun. Suffice to say that I do think they made pretty good use of the admittedly silly concept of using the same "actor" to portray a character's ancestor.

It's a game for children. No one is insulting you or anyone elses' intelligence. It's nothing more than a glorified Easter Egg and there's zero reason to act so personally offended over it.
Not to mention that characters looking like their ancestors and vice versa is quite literally an anime trope so it’s not that personal.

Back
Top Bottom