• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Predictions/Speculation/Discussion Thread

Is kitakami connected to the OG 4 regions? Probably (I do not see any evidence for a mediterranean location, primarily in terms of climate. Those are taiga we see in the background, which do not occur in southern europe).
I do. I think that Kitakami is far away from Paldea and actually closer to the first four regions. Notably Kitakami is literally the name of an actual town in the northern half of the island of Honshu, an area that's one of the few parts of Japan that hasn't been made into a Pokémon region yet.

Is kitakami connected to the OG 4 regions? Probably (I do not see any evidence for a mediterranean location, primarily in terms of climate. Those are taiga we see in the background, which do not occur in southern europe).
I do. I think that Kitakami is far away from Paldea and actually closer to the first four regions. Notably Kitakami is literally the name of an actual town in the northern half of the island of Honshu, an area that's one of the few parts of Japan that hasn't been made into a Pokémon region yet.
I'm more inclined to say that this is a fantasy world that doesn't need to give a crap about how realistic climate distribution needs to be.

I'm more inclined to say that this is a fantasy world that doesn't need to give a crap about how realistic climate distribution needs to be.
Although usually the regions do follow the climate patterns of whatever real world country they're based on. I just can't see Kitakami being directly north of Paldea unless Paldea itself is retconned into instead being based on a part of Japan.

Although usually the regions do follow the climate patterns of whatever real world country they're based on. I just can't see Kitakami being directly north of Paldea unless Paldea itself is retconned into instead being based on a part of Japan.
The first sentence requires some citations because that is not the case. Unova which is based on the New York-New Jersey area does not have a desert (unless we're talking about food deserts).
The second sentence is the weirdest sentiment I've seen from this site. Gamefreak is under no obligation to force its fantasy world to match reality. We have had pandas in France (Kalos), Jewish mythology in Japan (Hoenn), and dojos in the Isle of Man (Isle of Armor). The idea that Paldea needs to be based on Japan for Kitakami to make sense is to ignore the pages of precedent that says that is not the case.

True the Tristate does not have a desert, but neither does Hawaii or Sakhalin or Kyushuu. England does, but it's not only inverted but mirrored from where Bea and Alistair's gym is, but is a sand desert rather than a rock desert.

Also, we don't know exact region sizes in lore due to hardware limitations. It's entirely reasonable Unova is the size of the Tristate, Galar is mirrored and flipped, and that All four of the OG regions are smaller than Paldea and Kalos.

The first sentence requires some citations because that is not the case. Unova which is based on the New York-New Jersey area does not have a desert (unless we're talking about food deserts).
The second sentence is the weirdest sentiment I've seen from this site. Gamefreak is under no obligation to force its fantasy world to match reality. We have had pandas in France (Kalos), Jewish mythology in Japan (Hoenn), and dojos in the Isle of Man (Isle of Armor). The idea that Paldea needs to be based on Japan for Kitakami to make sense is to ignore the pages of precedent that says that is not the case.
I said "usually", not "always". Sure, they do occasionally change things up for the sake of biome diversity (and Unova's desert itself is an unfortunate implication if you line up the Unova region map with an actual map of Manhattan), but they usually keep things accurate.

I said "usually", not "always". Sure, they do occasionally change things up for the sake of biome diversity (and Unova's desert itself is an unfortunate implication if you line up the Unova region map with an actual map of Manhattan), but they usually keep things accurate.
I wasn't using a rhetorical device for my response. I do actually want a massive citation that they "usually" keep things accurate in terms of climate.

I wasn't using a rhetorical device for my response. I do actually want a massive citation that they "usually" keep things accurate in terms of climate.

Alola is the first and only time we've gotten a "jungle" area in a mainline game. To my knowledge, Hawaii is also the only real world equivalent to have a jungle. And to the best of my memory; I don't recall them placing any evergreen trees in the region. I also don't recall seeing any Palm trees in Galar or even Kalos.

Galar, Sinnoh, and Kalos are the only regions to have actual full fledged snowy areas where they would appropriately be. The "snow" areas in the other regions are on mountain tops or deep in caves.

As for Paldea, the only seemingly odd area (besides the massive crater obvs) is the bamboo forest, but this is apparently based on a real place.

I don't think it's fair to use Unova to discredit the notion that the games "usually" keep things accurate. Being that it is the first game that takes place outside of Japan, (and possibly trying to be a reboot); Unova takes a lot of creative liberties in how it defines "New York". For example, why is everyone quick to point out that New York "doesn't have a desert", but no one ever mentions that Humilau City is obviously based on Bora Bora with the only connection being that the company that owns the resort there is based in New York.

Even so, colloquially speaking, I think "desert" has a lot of wiggle room in its meaning. For example, a cursory google search shows that Dungeness in England was considered a desert until very recently. And it is not too farfetch'd to turn a small area surrounding the base of a volcano into a desert like in Hoenn. They're not the Gobi or the Sahara, but I don't think they're intended to be either. They're just exaggerated to make them more interesting.

We could debate about the inspiration behind Unova's desert, but if it's your only counter argument, then I would say that they still "usually" keep things accurate in terms of climate.

Now all that said, I wouldn't be surprised if Kitakami somehow ended up being based on the Balearic Islands, but I don't think a return to "Japan" is out of the question either as like a "study abroad" sort of situation. I have been wondering if we'll be able to travel there via Squawkabilly Taxi or if the DLC is going to function differently this time around.

Bea and Allistair's gym town (the name escapes me now) is (taking galar's inversion into account and possible mirroring) in the same place as the dungeness.

Bea and Allistair's gym town (the name escapes me now) is (taking galar's inversion into account and possible mirroring) in the same place as the dungeness.
It really isn't. You can quite clearly see where the Wash is on Galar which given Stow-on-Side is right on top of it, would put the town hypothetically around the Lincolnshire/Norfolk area which is leagues away from where Dungeness is.

So... looking at Munkidori, Fezandipiti and Okidogo... they most likely are Poison typed.

However, if we look at the design, Fezandipity can be part Ground (Has some brown in it) and Okidogi is part Grass.

I also wonder if we get a regional form in either Kitakami or Blueberry, considering the Galar DLC also gave us regional forms. So if we get one, why not Miltank.

Mod Note (No Leaks)
Hey all - please don't discuss or post links to any sort of leaks or rumors in this thread. That can be done in the Leaks and Rumors thread, link here. Thanks for your cooperation.

Oh should probably post this here too.

Pokemon Presents on the 8th. 6am PDT/9am EDT

This was datamined via Masters EX for the longest time, so this really isn't a surprise.

Also 35 minutes is much beefier than usual. Won't get my hopes up too high given the usual fare, but i wonder if it's extra length could be to go in depth with the expansion pack

Last edited:
Also 35 minutes is much beefier than usual. Won't get my hopes up too high given the usual fare, but i wonder if it's extra length could be to go in depth with the expansion pack

TPC are masters of time wasting, so I'm still skeptical we're going to get more than the usual. But we are kind of due for details on the DLC, we still don't know too much about it so a deep dive might make sense.

Yeah I would definitely keep expectations in check, though I'm sure we will get a decent bitof DLC information, or at least some promotion hype for it. Pokemon UK tweeted multiple times this past week about the two DLCs. Not to mention we are about to hit fall months and we still don't have a release date for The Teal Mask. So I'm sure at the very least we'll get that, probably with the Indigo Disk DLC release date as well. Now that the Zelda hype has finally died down, the Pokemon hype is starting to boil up again and I am looking forward to seeing what these DLCs bring.

Yeah I would definitely keep expectations in check, though I'm sure we will get a decent bitof DLC information, or at least some promotion hype for it. Pokemon UK tweeted multiple times this past week about the two DLCs. Not to mention we are about to hit fall months and we still don't have a release date for The Teal Mask. So I'm sure at the very least we'll get that, probably with the Indigo Disk DLC release date as well. Now that the Zelda hype has finally died down, the Pokemon hype is starting to boil up again and I am looking forward to seeing what these DLCs bring.

Yeah, that's such a given that I wasn't even thinking about that. We're so close to that Fall 2023 release window already, we could be getting Teal Mask as early as next month. Short of a delay into early 2024 or something (which I don't think is going to happen) we can't not get an exact release date for at least Teal Mask, it's too close to release that they need to start ramping up marketing and giving us an exact date. We might get a date for Indigo Disk too, but they could potentially narrow it down to a month or keep it at "Winter" and reveal the exact date about 2 or 3 months from now.

As far as information, what we really need to know is things such as what the main story quests consist of and if there's any new features/facilities/sidequests (things like Restricted Sparring, Dynamax Adventures, and the Galarian Star Tournament in SwSh's DLC). We don't know anything those aspects right now, they've only been showing off the areas, characters, and Pokemon. Those are the kinds of things I think they really need to focus more on in this Presents, we know where we're exploring and what kinds of Pokemon and characters we'll be meeting, but not what we'll be doing.

Back
Top Bottom