• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Predictions/Speculation/Discussion Thread

my apologies for the double post, but-
1704987276173.png
poor girl :(

I hope this is the right thread for this. Just want to report that I finished Violet the other day. I very much enjoyed this game. I skipped the last couple of generations, so I really didn’t know what to expect. I liked the story and characters the best; I can’t decide if my favorite character is Nemona or Arven. Second best part, in my opinion, was the open world. Every time I thought my team was set, I would discover a Pokemon in another area that I would want to use.

Anyway, that’s all I wanted to say. I might want to try the DLC later, but I’m taking a little break for now.

@LukeHobbies To me, it seems like people who skipped a few generations tend to like some of the newer games. When Sword and Shield came out, my sister who hadn't played Pokémon since Gen 3, really seemed to like the Pokémon Sword. Now, you enjoyed Violet after now playing the games for a while. Anyway, hope you enjoy the dlc when you get to it.

Yeah, it's stupid when we have to look places other than the game itself for important story details.

Also, I don't like how the video tries to paint the loyal trio in a good light; I would much prefer them to be straight up villains rather than the confusing back-and-forth we got.

Mythical Pokémon getting next to no in-game lore (outside Dex entries) has been a series staple since Gen I.

The fact Pecharunt not only got an actual event tied to it and a video giving it more backstory is a breath of fresh air, honestly.

Yeah, it's stupid when we have to look places other than the game itself for important story details.

Also, I don't like how the video tries to paint the loyal trio in a good light; I would much prefer them to be straight up villains rather than the confusing back-and-forth we got.
They stole from and are still implied to have straight-up murdered a guy. And that’s not including their other, actually legitimate crimes that happen during the DLC.

What part of this is a “good light?”

@Eitarou I assume Stinger is referring to the "somewhat positive" spin that the story gave to Pecharunt. Obviously, Pecharunt and the Loyal Three did terrible crimes. However, the video tried to make the theft a misunderstanding because Pecharunt didn't understand that its mochi messes with people and made its caretakers desire something that they did not belong to them. So, Pecharunt went off to get those masks while gaining allies to steal the masks. And what happened to Ogrepon's friend was unintended.

They stole from and are still implied to have straight-up murdered a guy. And that’s not including their other, actually legitimate crimes that happen during the DLC.

What part of this is a “good light?”
The fact that they were doing it for "love" and not their own greed and the fact that they never actually meant to attack Ogerpon's friend; they just defended themselves.

On a different note, the video doesn't give a motif for Pecharunt's actions during the epilogue, unless it was trying to take the masks again, but that's never specified.

The fact that they were doing it for "love" and not their own greed
There's actually a trope for this sort of phenomenon: Even Evil Has Loved Ones

the fact that they never actually meant to attack Ogerpon's friend; they just defended themselves.
I imagine this was probably a case of unreliable narrator, presumably an excuse that Pecharunt gives itself and its retainers.

On a different note, the video doesn't give a motif for Pecharunt's actions during the epilogue, unless it was trying to take the masks again, but that's never specified.
Given the initial motive, Pecharunt was probably trying to turn Kitakami into its own personal cult that worships it and its mochi. At the end of day, Pecharunt probably figured out that it outlived the old couple and has decided to force others to love it as a result.

Yeaah I wish we learned all this in-game and not on social media, especially because it just makes me love the story and lore of Kitakami more. Like... if there was at least just a book somewhere with the real story or something.

Story ALMOST made me feel a little bad for the thing. It really just wanted love but got greedy and basically ruined the humans it loved without realizing it. I wonder if those humans ever snapped out of it and realized what they'd done while under the influence, or if they died wondering why Pecharunt never granted their selfish wish. And then screwed up Ogeron's life and took her friend... was still satisfying letting her wreck the thing when I saw how mad she was to see it.

Mythical Pokémon getting next to no in-game lore (outside Dex entries) has been a series staple since Gen I.

The fact Pecharunt not only got an actual event tied to it and a video giving it more backstory is a breath of fresh air, honestly.

Yes, a series staple just like third versions, sprite graphics, HMs, and overworld encounters. Just because it's a series staple doesn't mean it won't or shouldn't change.

It's great that we got another mythical story event again, but having a good story can really enhance our connection to the mythical and the entertainment value of the experience. Dumping the story into a video on social media, instead of you know... the game that they're trying to sell to us to make a profit, just adds to the narrative that Game Freak is being cheap/lazy/rushed. Mochi Mayhem could've been an amazing story that shows Pecharunt's desire to be beloved while being willing to resort to hypnosis, stealing, and killing to achieve that end, but instead we just get silly dancing with zero context. And I didn't find the latter particularly entertaining, and judging from the other users, I seem to be far from the only one that feels this way.

Back
Top Bottom