• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Predictions/Speculation/Discussion Thread

While I admit it would be super cool, I'm not really sure that would happen. Maybe it would only get one "true form" because I think it would be kind of hard to make a bunch of jumbled 2D pixels into a pokemon
maxresdefault.jpg

I’m conflicted. I still think releasing Gen 9 so soon after Legends: Arceus just released is a little worrying since the care they put into the Hisui game probably took up a lot of time and resources. On the other hand, the graphics of Scarlet and Violet seem really clean in terms of landscapes (both rural and urban areas) so far.

However, good graphics doesn’t mean a solid story or immersive gameplay, so it could be that graphics are the only thing these newly-announced titles have going for them with everything else being really shallow. I think the outcome of Scalet’s/Violet’s quality could depends on how much they take from Legends.
Legends most likely took less resources than this game to make considering graphically SV already looks somewhat better. Like Oriden said, there was probably a lot of developmental overlap.

It's weird, They just updated the models in PLA and now they are updating them once again in this game (Although its just texturing). Speaking of, i assume the proper Acronym for this game would be SV?

Is it weird that I associate violet with space? Maybe its just because of the sparkles/stars in its logo.

As for what I got from the logos, I feel like it's going to be something like tradition vs advancement. If I'm guessing correctly, the pattern in scarlet's logo is some type of old-ish pattern, and along with the font just give me more of a mystical, old feeling. As for violet, its font and the sparkles/stars in its logo remind me more of futuristic things like star trek

Is it weird that I associate violet with space? Maybe its just because of the sparkles/stars in its logo.

As for what I got from the logos, I feel like it's going to be something like tradition vs advancement. If I'm guessing correctly, the pattern in scarlet's logo is some type of old-ish pattern, and along with the font just give me more of a mystical, old feeling. As for violet, its font and the sparkles/stars in its logo remind me more of futuristic things like star trek

I could see this work. Also if you look at the way how the word "Scarlet" is pictured, it seems to have a snake theme to it, with its font appearing to be scales of some sort. The letter S alone is very serpent like.

Actually, thinking on it, Game Freak is pretty cheeky. Spiritomb's Sinnoh pokedex number was 108 in reference to the number of spirits it contains. Spinda and Whirlipede's base stat totals are 360 probably in reference to how they spin in circles. Pokemon 1000 will probably have something to do with a thousand of something, so my best guess would be a pokemon based on an origami paper crane. That'd be the most wholesome route they could go with that one.

While I admit it would be super cool, I'm not really sure that would happen. Maybe it would only get one "true form" because I think it would be kind of hard to make a bunch of jumbled 2D pixels into a pokemon
Simplify it.

2gTezYy.png

Oh also, does anyone else think these are finally the Infrared and Ultraviolet game basis that I’ve been waiting for since like Ruby/Sapphire? I imagine they chose Scarlet and Violet instead because “infrared” would be confused as being a Red remake.

And. And!!! I’m obsessed with oranges and grapes being all we have to go off so far. Scarlet = oranges and Violet = grapes but like… WHY??? It seems absurd so far. I love it.

Ahhh I'm still so excited!! I tried to take a nap but the hype basically stopped that from happening.

Yeah I definitely think there was a lot of developmental overlap between the two games. I really am hoping SV takes a lot of notes from Legends Arceus. One thing is love so much about PLA is how alive the Pokemon feel, and we haven't really gotten to see that yet (though we didn't get to see that with PLA much early in either) with SV. I hope the Pokemon do more than just walk around in the world at least.

After hearing that this game is open-world, I am also wondering on how open-world it would be, and how would they handle the story if it truly is open-world. If there is a gym challenge will we be able to take it on in any order? And then the story points us in different directions? That doesn't feel right though. Maybe the story all takes place in a sort of hub city, and then we travel out to the different cities? Who knows, but I am excited to see how they'll handle it.

Sprigatito = Litten and all the other non-starter cat Pokémon
Quaxly = Ducklett, the other water birds, heck Piplup as a water bird starter

I mentioned this last night when the species name leaks happened and I had time to sleep on it...but the starters aren't all that original inspiration wise if you think about it:
  • Squirtle and Turtwig are turtles.
  • Bulbasaur, Mudkip, and Froakie are all amphibians.
  • Fennekin had competition from Vulpix, Eevee, Zorua in terms of fox pokemon.
  • Rowlet came in after Hoothoot
  • Popplio came in after Seel and Samurott in terms of seals and sealions.
The originality comes from what species of animal they are. Like how Torterra is a snapping turtle or how Fennekin is a Fennec fox. We don't have a goose Pokémon yet and there's a long list of big cats they haven't used yet as well.

I'm not too thrilled about going to Gen 9 so soon, but it's not the first time we've gotten a new Gen before I was ready and I am getting excited now that it's announced.
You've summed up my feelings exactly. Gen 8 doesn't feel "done" for me in the sense that I feel that there is more they could have done with Galar, its people, and its story; but on the same note, it's something to look forward to around my birthday once again, aha. I really hope these new games aren't like that - that there isn't anything bare bones about them, whether its the (initial) regional Pokedex, plot, or characters and their impact.

Apparently Gen 9 continues the "new policy" of only allowing certain Pokémon to be transferred. Completely unacceptable. Hope people go apeshit again
Shouldn't be a surprise at this point. Including every pokemon in a game just isn't sustainable.

Pokémon SV hypeeeeee

I almost always gravitate towards the red-colored game and the Water starter, but this time I’m fairly confident I’ll be going with Violet and Sprigatito. I love purple and I love cats so yeah that’s my decision-making process. I just hope Sprigatito doesn’t become bipedal like Litten did. The version exclusives could still change my mind on the game version, but yeah this game looks stunning and it’s not even done yet. People who were worried Legends would be a one-time thing need not worry, I think every game from now on is going to borrow influences and design cues from LA, except maybe if they do old school style remakes and return to grid-based maps like how LGPE and ORAS were faithful to the original grid-based map designs.

Apparently Gen 9 continues the "new policy" of only allowing certain Pokémon to be transferred. Completely unacceptable. Hope people go apeshit again

At some point you just need to accept that with 1,000 Pokémon, having them all be in every game just isn’t feasible or frankly healthy game design. Remember that there’s a competitive aspect to Pokémon as well, and this is one way they can balance the meta for VGC. We don’t need Landorus-Therian in every game. While I do think one day with DLC and patches, a game, possibly even SV, will receive all Pokémon, it’s a process that needs to happen over time, like how SwSh slowly brought more Pokémon in and basically stopped just short of giving us the entire National Dex by giving us the remainder in BDSP. I believe between SwSh and BDSP, every Pokémon saw the light of day in Gen 8, although I could be wrong, maybe they missed a couple.

Someone correct me, but is this the most generous they have been with the initial information for a new mainline release?

We got:
  • New titles
  • New trailer
  • New Starters with types and names
  • New player character models
  • Footage of several areas, including civilized spaces and various landscapes
  • Confirmation of connectivity with prior games (in this case, LoA for Home)
All in the first day.

Back
Top Bottom