• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Predictions/Speculation/Discussion Thread

Personally, I think anything from Legends: Arceus comes back, it should be Effort Levels though they should be capped at 30 instead of being able to max out every single stat. Game Freak could repurpose EVs to points spent to increase a stat’s EL, with higher ELs requiring more EVs. As for IVs, they would only affect the cost of EVs needed rather than affecting the stats themselves, which would reflect how some people just have to try harder but can still achieve the same results.

Yes, I have an entire system in mind for this specific possibility!

The thing is I feel like just being able to lob balls kinda takes away from the catching experience, it's less interesting, which works in a game where your expected to catch multiple of every Pokémon but in a mainline game I just don't think it fits.
(That and I fear that the Arceus style catching would lead to it being too easy to constantly be under leveled like I ended up being in Arceus)

Edit: Constantly under leveled when you have no Incentive to catch multiple of a Pokémon I mean. If it's not the main focus of the game, I feel like a lot of people wouldn't bother.
Eh, it was more fun and engaging to me, and since you get experience for catching pokemon, my pokemon have been overleveled throughout most of Legends. But I also was willing to spend more time catching pokemon because it was more fun. All they really need to do is give some optional quests or whatever as incentive for catching multiple pokemon and let you choose if you want to fight everything or try to get away with just throwing pokeballs as much as you can.

Even something as simple as having a catch meter in the pokedex that increases shiny odds for catching multiple of a species could be enough to motivate catching multiples without being a requirement. In addition to that, there's nature and IV hunting that would require you to hunt multiple unless you opt to go for the much less interesting breeding route. And who knows if they introduced anything else new to incentivize catching in these games. SwSh did have the G-Factor that only certain individuals of a species could have, so some other special trait that might require hunting could come up in this game as well.

It's also worth noting that because you have the option to just throw balls at something doesn't mean that you have to, and I think people should be given the freedom to play how they like. I don't want to fight everything I encounter, my style of playing games is very fast and active so I would have more fun running around and just throwing balls unless I absolutely have to stop to weaken something. I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to.

Personally, I think anything from Legends: Arceus comes back, it should be Effort Levels though they should be capped at 30 instead of being able to max out every single stat. Game Freak could repurpose EVs to points spent to increase a stat’s EL, with higher ELs requiring more EVs. As for IVs, they would only affect the cost of EVs needed rather than affecting the stats themselves, which would reflect how some people just have to try harder but can still achieve the same results.

I like this idea. I have played games where you use points to increase stats.

Oh that's definitely the reason for Goh's habit, but it's not like Ash and other main characters haven't caught anything without battling it first. Also the Safari Zone was a thing.

If anything, I'd think it would be considered more ethical to attempt capture without beating a pokemon up first, so a rule saying that you must fight everything would be kind of stupid.
That's what I mean though, like it was always in seprate places like the Safari Zone or games like Go. It hasn't been a thing outside of those places until like Legends.

And it may be a stupid rule, but the Pokémon League is kind of stupid for bulldozing local Pokémon traditions. Maybe they're the secret baddies of the franchise.

Also what if the Safari Zone makes a comeback now that the Wild Areas are no more and it's just the same mechanics as Legends without the fighting. You just get 100 Safari balls and 100 mud balls and go for it.

I mostly agree except I don't want a cap; c'mon Gamefreak, let me use both my attack stats again, like the first two gens. ;)

That's what I mean though, like it was always in seprate places like the Safari Zone or games like Go. It hasn't been a thing outside of those places until like Legends.

And it may be a stupid rule, but the Pokémon League is kind of stupid for bulldozing local Pokémon traditions. Maybe they're the secret baddies of the franchise.

Also what if the Safari Zone makes a comeback now that the Wild Areas are no more and it's just the same mechanics as Legends without the fighting. You just get 100 Safari balls and 100 mud balls and go for it.
That would be terrible? Not only would I be restricted to a small portion of the game, but Safari Zone pokemon typically had lower catch rates- exactly the time when I would want to weaken something.

I don't see the issue with having the Legends catching mechanic return; the game did let you battle and weaken wild Pokémon first if you wanted to anyway, so I don't see how providing that secondary option in the catching mechanic changes much. I'd say having both options (and maybe situations where battling them first would be beneficial in capturing as opposed to throwing balls/items or something) would be more than okay. Play the way you want, basically.

Now if they bring back the limited item storage? I'll moan lol.

I mostly agree except I don't want a cap; c'mon Gamefreak, let me use both my attack stats again, like the first two gens. ;)
I guarantee that the only reason Legends didn’t get a cap was because it lacked PvP; they wouldn’t want every Pokémon to play the same stats-wise.

Fun fact, I specifically made the cap 30 so that you could either max out either all of your offensive stats (Attack, Sp. Attack, Speed) OR all of your Defensive stats (HP, Defense, Sp. Defense). Therefore, you can max out both of your attacks while still maxing out another stat in the process should you choose to do so! (y)

They at the very least need to lower capture rates for regular Pokémon from what it was in Arceus if they let you just lob balls, it was way too easy in Arceus, which was understandable because you were meant to catch multiple.
I wouldn’t mind that being the case. It makes things more interesting.

They at the very least need to lower capture rates for regular Pokémon from what it was in Arceus if they let you just lob balls, it was way too easy in Arceus, which was understandable because you were meant to catch multiple.
I guess I can agree with that- I've caught too many alphas just by throwing a pokeball at their back. Doesn't feel like that should have been a thing.

Exactly this. Feeding a Pokémon 20 levels higher than mine, sneaking up behind it, and whacking it with a ball meant you almost always caught it. That’s instantly game breaking.

I gotta be honest, I'm not too excited about a Spain themed region. In the 3D era, we've gotten 3 Western European inspired regions that all border each other irl and a Hawaii region, part of the country Unova was based on, as far as new regions go. From the 3D regions Alola is by far my favourite because it feels like the most unique out of all of them. For Gen 9 I was hoping for another location completely unlike what we've seen before. There's not a lot of footage out yet, but I'm afraid it'll be more similiar to previous regions instead of the wholly new direction I was hoping for in Gen 9. Especially now that GF's new strategy seems to be to create one main pair of games for the entire generation and only add DLC like they did with SwSh.

I gotta be honest, I'm not too excited about a Spain themed region. In the 3D era, we've gotten 3 Western European inspired regions that all border each other irl and a Hawaii region, part of the country Unova was based on, as far as new regions go. From the 3D regions Alola is by far my favourite because it feels like the most unique out of all of them. For Gen 9 I was hoping for another location completely unlike what we've seen before. There's not a lot of footage out yet, but I'm afraid it'll be more similiar to previous regions instead of the wholly new direction I was hoping for in Gen 9. Especially now that GF's new strategy seems to be to create one main pair of games for the entire generation and only add DLC like they did with SwSh.
At least they've gone for cultural and climatic diversity among the two US and three European regions. It'd bother me if they weren't distinctly different from each other, but Alola's very different from Unova and this new region certainly isn't like Galar or Kalos. I agree that they need to branch into more parts of the world but hey, on the bright side- when they do visit another continent, they'll get much better games than any of these regions did. =D

Ummm while Hawaii is technically a U.S. state, I don’t think many Hawaiians think of themselves or their islands as “American”. Beyond the extremely bad history between Hawaii and mainland USA, just culturally Hawaii is absolutely nothing like the USA.

Alola is 100% a pacific island region, not a USA one at all. Just FYI.

Ummm while Hawaii is technically a U.S. state, I don’t think many Hawaiians think of themselves or their islands as “American”. Beyond the extremely bad history between Hawaii and mainland USA, just culturally Hawaii is absolutely nothing like the USA.

Alola is 100% a pacific island region, not a USA one at all. Just FYI.
Exactly. That's why I said I felt like Alola was the most unique out of the bunch.
At least they've gone for cultural and climatic diversity among the two US and three European regions. It'd bother me if they weren't distinctly different from each other, but Alola's very different from Unova and this new region certainly isn't like Galar or Kalos. I agree that they need to branch into more parts of the world but hey, on the bright side- when they do visit another continent, they'll get much better games than any of these regions did. =D
You're right. I guess I was just hoping for a more radical departure from what we're used to. There's too much potential amazing and fascinating parts of the world that deserve to be made into a region imo :wynaut:

Orange and scarlet are two diffrent colors. Even if we're going by blood oranges, nobody thinks of the inside, they just think of the skin color which is orange. Like I know the name orange hasn't existed for that long in the grand scheme of things, but it was never called scarlet.

Also speaking of Pokémon Scarlet, that's been trademarked since 2008.

I think the warm and cool colors are just a coincidence and it's more "we started this series with Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow, let's keep using those colors in diffrent shades!"

Ah... yeah scarlet is a shade of red, not orange.

Actually I'd say the warm and cool colors are because they provide a contrast. It's a way to make two versions look distinct from each other, and also eye-catching when they're grouped together on a shelf.

Let's Go just relied on which giant, cute, easily-recognizable mascot you were gonna pick instead.

Crazy how the PC outfits feature a color that is very clearly and objectively orange. It’s almost like I’m right.

Back
Top Bottom