• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Predictions/Speculation/Discussion Thread

I don't think HMs will be coming back sadly, but who knows.

And for those who are interested, a Nintendo Direct Mini will be dropping in around 30 minutes (expect it to be 25 minute long and it won't be live but will be uploaded to Nintendo's YouTube channel), but it may not have Pokemon content as it is largely third party titles, but the Pokemon news may be later this week (most likely Thursday), including the possibility of the region name (but who knows, it could be happening today as the Generation 8 DLCs were announced during a Nintendo Direct Mini). HDvee is running a live stream at the moment on YouTube for those who are interested (I am watching HDvee's live stream at the moment), but it will be on Nintendo's YouTube channel at around 1300 UTC (2300 AEST for me).

EDIT: Sadly no information on Pokemon in the Nintendo Direct Mini, not even a spinoff game. We need to keep an eye out because we may get news on Pokemon later in the week (most likely Thursday).

Last edited:
i'm honestly hoping that the whole open world thing will completely fail. that way game freak will realise that pokemon should not be open world. i don't get why all game devs nowadays seem to think that all franchises need to be open world.
I generally agree since it tends to make story bad or nonexistent and is just large empty areas. But I disagree about it not being something pokemon should do.

Pokemon is about adventure, being able to do gyms in any order would make it more personal and be more like your own adventure instead of the same as everyone else's. Plus the replayability with pokemon would make it so much more interesting than even botw. In botw challenging the divine beasts in any order jut gives you the special ability from that beast at different times, but even that can lead to drastic differences in how you play. Now imagine going to the the grass gym 1st and the gym leader has 2 pokemon, an oddish and cherubi. You replay the game and go for the grass gym 3rd and this time he has gloom, cherrim and ferroseed.

Now will it be this drastic? I don't know. Klara and Avery having a level 60 slowpoke in the first battle despite us having 8 gym badges (and 6 months to over level to 100) feels like they might just add more pokemon and levels to the gym leader rather than evolve and change move sets for each badge level you are at. Which would be underwhelming to go to the grass badge 8th and he has 2 pokemon or something. I'm just being hopeful there's some effort put into this.

Also story wise, Pokémon never had much of a good story anyway, but just make story events tied to number of Badges instead of where you are at the time. If the evil team is invading something that would normally be in the 1st badge area, but you are in the 8th badge area, to bad go travel across the entire map and stop them.

So I took a peek at Pokémon Journeys and noticed Koharu's Eevee inability to evolve. While some say it might be a reference to Let's Go Eevee, I was wondering... Maybe she will evolve, but as something entirely new, taking advantage of SV games release? A new Eeveelution is possible? Reminds me of Serena's Sylveon back in the day.

So I took a peek at Pokémon Journeys and noticed Koharu's Eevee inability to evolve. While some say it might be a reference to Let's Go Eevee, I was wondering... Maybe she will evolve, but as something entirely new, taking advantage of SV games release? A new Eeveelution is possible? Reminds me of Serena's Sylveon back in the day.
It's hard to say. In some ways, it does seem like the build-up to a brand new Eeveelution, since Chloe and her Eevee have been going around and meeting all the different Eeveelutions, and Eevee hasn't decided yet. Or, it could just be building to the opposite. As you mentioned, thisEevee being unable to evolve could just be a reference to Let's Go Eevee (though I think Lana's Eevee, Sandy, was supposed to be promo for that game as well). This Eevee could also be the one that has the special gigantamax form (though I'm not leaning towards that myself, considering Gen 8 is out the door and if they really wanted to show off Gigantamax Eevee I think they would have done it sooner). Or, it could be something else, like a whole Eevee liking herself the way she is.

So who knows. I am all for a new Eeveelution though. After going 9 years without one, I think it's time for a new one.

It's hard to say. In some ways, it does seem like the build-up to a brand new Eeveelution, since Chloe and her Eevee have been going around and meeting all the different Eeveelutions, and Eevee hasn't decided yet. Or, it could just be building to the opposite. As you mentioned, thisEevee being unable to evolve could just be a reference to Let's Go Eevee (though I think Lana's Eevee, Sandy, was supposed to be promo for that game as well). This Eevee could also be the one that has the special gigantamax form (though I'm not leaning towards that myself, considering Gen 8 is out the door and if they really wanted to show off Gigantamax Eevee I think they would have done it sooner). Or, it could be something else, like a whole Eevee liking herself the way she is.

So who knows. I am all for a new Eeveelution though. After going 9 years without one, I think it's time for a new one.
I hope they do go the new Eeveelution route with Chloe's Eevee. Like you said, Gen 8 is pretty much done now, if they were going to debut Gigantamax Eevee, they'd have done it sooner. They clearly don't care about showcasing Gigantamax forms, since we haven't even seen half of them appear in the anime yet. Though, I wouldn't put it past them to just randomly shove every Gigantamax Pokemon form into a mass debut frenzy, just to get them all included. (Not sure what's worse, that, or them just not showing up at all.)

Regardless, as I've said before in other posts, Eevee is the Evolution Pokemon. It's whole gimmick is its multitude of evolved forms, incentivizing you to evolve it. Chloe's should definitely evolve into the next new Eeveelution. It would (somewhat,) make up for all the nothing Chloe has recieved as a character, and act as a cool prelude to Gen 9 in the same breath. Like you said, we're 9 years overdue for a new Eeveelution. It's about time we got one.

Hate to be that guy, but I still think that if they were going to do any more Eeveelutions then they would have released a Dragon Eevee with Sylveon. Especially since up until that point we were getting 2 Eeveelutions at a time every other gen. At this point there probably won't be anymore Eeveelutions unless they make another type or come up with regional evolutions like a water/ground vaporeon that has transparent white skin, is blind, has smaller fins, and lives in an underground cave or something. Whatever comes first.

People need to realize that some Pokémon in the anime just never evolve either for narritive reasons or reference. I mean, nobody is saying stuff like "Ash's Pikachu is definitely going to evolve into Gorochu!" Or "Ash's Pikachu hasn't evolved for 26 years! GOROCHU CONFIRMED?!?!" So why must there always be Eeveelution theories every time there's an eevee that doesn't evolve in the anime?

Hate to be that guy, but I still think that if they were going to do any more Eeveelutions then they would have released a Dragon Eevee with Sylveon. Especially since up until that point we were getting 2 Eeveelutions at a time every other gen. At this point there probably won't be anymore Eeveelutions unless they make another type or come up with regional evolutions like a water/ground vaporeon that has transparent white skin, is blind, has smaller fins, and lives in an underground cave or something. Whatever comes first.

People need to realize that some Pokémon in the anime just never evolve either for narritive reasons or reference. I mean, nobody is saying stuff like "Ash's Pikachu is definitely going to evolve into Gorochu!" Or "Ash's Pikachu hasn't evolved for 26 years! GOROCHU CONFIRMED?!?!" So why must there always be Eeveelution theories every time there's an eevee that doesn't evolve in the anime?
If they bothered to make Eeveelutions for literally almost half (not sure if one should count Eevee itself,) of all the different types of Pokemon, then why not make Eeveelutions for all of them at this point? I for one think we've got more Eeveelutions in store.

To be fair, we've only had 2 main Eevee in the anime that didn't evolve, and they were both in recent years, after Eevee was adopted as the franchise's pseudo-secondary mascot after Pikachu. The only reason Lana and Chloe's Eevees haven't evolved yet is so they can milk the Eevee cuteness factor for merch and crap. It's so dumb, especially considering Gary's, May's, and Serena's were all allowed to evolve, yet only now Eevees in the anime can't evolve for whatever stupid reason. Honestly, Eevee was better before it became this secondary mascot of the franchise or whatever the hell it is now, it's made it so.......blah. It's one of the reasons I can't stand Pikachu. Because it's just shoved down your throat over and over and over again, 'till you're just sick of it. (At least, that's how I feel. Personally, I like Raichu better than Pikachu.) Realllly hoping they don't make me sick of Eevee too. Pokemon aren't always better when they evolve, but Eevee is one of those Pokemon that just kinda.......is. (Again, that's its whole gimmick.)

If they bothered to make Eeveelutions for literally almost half (not sure if one should count Eevee itself,) of all the different types of Pokemon, then why not make Eeveelutions for all of them at this point? I for one think we've got more Eeveelutions in store.
I don't know. Considering we didn't get a second Eeveelution for XY and got nothing for SwSh or Legends in terms of a new pair of Eeveelutions...the pattern was broken a while ago.

If anything, regional forms seem like the direction they're going at this point in terms of older mons. So like I said I wouldn't be surprised if like Umbreon regained it's poison typing and Sylveon became Fairy/Dragon in the future.

To be fair, we've only had 2 main Eevee in the anime that didn't evolve, and they were both in recent years, after Eevee was adopted as the franchise's pseudo-secondary mascot after Pikachu. The only reason Lana and Chloe's Eevees haven't evolved yet is so they can milk the Eevee cuteness factor for merch and crap. It's so dumb, especially considering Gary's, May's, and Serena's were all allowed to evolve, yet only now Eevees in the anime can't evolve for whatever stupid reason. Honestly, Eevee was better before it became this secondary mascot of the franchise or whatever the hell it is now, it's made it so.......blah. It's one of the reasons I can't stand Pikachu. Because it's just shoved down your throat over and over and over again, 'till you're just sick of it. (At least, that's how I feel. Personally, I like Raichu better than Pikachu.) Realllly hoping they don't make me sick of Eevee too. Pokemon aren't always better when they evolve, but Eevee is one of those Pokemon that just kinda.......is. (Again, that's its whole gimmick.)
There is...a third. That blonde girl with the colored highlights from that one movie. But that's still recent as well.

But yeah, that's what I meant by reference. Since its a refrence to LGPE or to the fact Ash's Pikachu doesn't evolve. I get that it's totally an anime exclusive gimmick and it really does need to stop. Honestly they should have gone with another 2-3 stage Pokémon as the defacto secondary mascot because they did Eevee dirty with the not evolving thing. I mean, heck, they could have just brought back Clefairy for the secondary mascot if they wanted something cute that optionally evolves with a stone and has a baby stage.

I don't know. Considering we didn't get a second Eeveelution for XY and got nothing for SwSh or Legends in terms of a new pair of Eeveelutions...the pattern was broken a while ago.

If anything, regional forms seem like the direction they're going at this point in terms of older mons. So like I said I wouldn't be surprised if like Umbreon regained it's poison typing and Sylveon became Fairy/Dragon in the future.

There is...a third. That blonde girl with the colored highlights from that one movie. But that's still recent as well.

But yeah, that's what I meant by reference. Since its a refrence to LGPE or to the fact Ash's Pikachu doesn't evolve. I get that it's totally an anime exclusive gimmick and it really does need to stop. Honestly they should have gone with another 2-3 stage Pokémon as the defacto secondary mascot because they did Eevee dirty with the not evolving thing. I mean, heck, they could have just brought back Clefairy for the secondary mascot if they wanted something cute that optionally evolves with a stone and has a baby stage.
Ehhhh........never say never. They've broken patterns in this franchise before (I think) and I don't see why they couldn't do it again. The Eeveelutions have just been on a looong hiatus, that's all.

Personally, I've had enough of regional forms, and I wish they would stop making them already. As an old friend of mine expressed her opinion to me, she said they should be focusing on making brand-new Pokemon instead of all these weird new forms, some of which don't even take anyway (Galarian Stunfisk..........:cautious: Seriously, what was the point of that thing again?) Not to mention all the original Alola forms, plus a good chunk of Galarian forms, are just refurbished versions of Gen 1 Pokemon, adding up to yet more Kanto pandering. :cautious: The regional variants were an interesting enough concept in theory, I guess, but they only kinda work in practice. It's better with things like Sirfetch'd and Obstagoon, but that's because they're new, evolved forms of older Pokemon, like what they did for things like Gligar in Gen 4, not just an older Pokemon with a new coat of paint slapped on it.

Ah, you mean Risa from The Power of Us. Ngl, I forgot she existed. Probably forgot about her because I've never actually watched The Power of Us from start to finish. (Realllly should get around to that one of these days. I've watched bits and pieces of it already, and from what I've seen, it seemed to be quite good.)

They really should have just used Clefairy instead of Eevee, hell Clefairy was originally supposed to be the series's mascot instead of Pikachu. Plus, it fits all the prerequisites that Eevee's apparently filled anyway: it's girly (ish,) it's a Kanto 'mon, and it's cute. Plus, I'd have a lot less of a problem with them emphasizing Clefairy over its one single evolution Clefable (especially considering Clefairy's already an evolved Pokemon anyway,) rather than emphasize Eevee over all 8 of its evolved forms. It's like you said, they should have used a 2-3 stage Pokemon instead, which (hey!) is what both Clefairy and Pikachu happen to be.

Honestly they should have gone with another 2-3 stage Pokémon as the defacto secondary mascot because they did Eevee dirty with the not evolving thing. I mean, heck, they could have just brought back Clefairy for the secondary mascot if they wanted something cute that optionally evolves with a stone and has a baby stage.
They really should have just used Clefairy instead of Eevee, hell Clefairy was originally supposed to be the series's mascot instead of Pikachu. Plus, it fits all the prerequisites that Eevee's apparently filled anyway: it's girly (ish,) it's a Kanto 'mon, and it's cute.
The reason this wasn't done is that Eevee is already incredibly popular and always has been, while Clefairy is mostly just there. Nobody seems to mind it but you don't see the avalanches of fanart and love the Eevee line gets.

Same reason they started cramming Charizard everywhere and treating it like a god around gen 6.

The reason this wasn't done is that Eevee is already incredibly popular and always has been, while Clefairy is mostly just there. Nobody seems to mind it but you don't see the avalanches of fanart and love the Eevee line gets.
Plus, Clefairy is more girly cute than Eevee, which is overall cute.

Same reason they started cramming Charizard everywhere and treating it like a god around gen 6.
True, but taking into consideration how it was originally supposed to be a series mascot doesn't change things. I mean who knows how it would have been if they kept that in mind when they made the let's go games.

Actually, kind of surprised they just didn't go with Charizard for the second mascot. Why not have a Let's Go Charmander where charmander evolves. I mean especially considering Charizard has been a god since at least the beginning of the TCG.
Plus, Clefairy is more girly cute than Eevee, which is overall cute.
If you strip away all the mascotness from Pikachu, so is Pikachu. The fact that Clefairy was considered to be the OG mascot means the sugary cuteness was intentional.

If you strip away all the mascotness from Pikachu, so is Pikachu. The fact that Clefairy was considered to be the OG mascot means the sugary cuteness was intentional.
I know I may be a bit stereotypical here, but I think the reasoning could be that pink color is seen as a "girly" color, hence why Pikachu was chosen instead.

May be misremembering things here but wasn't the decision to not use Clefairy as a mascot because of the anime? Something about the attacks not looking impressive enough (since Gen I Clefairy mostly learned physical attacks that wouldn't look as exciting on screen as the electric-based beam attacks and whatnot?) Am I just making this up? lol

Edit: And isn't this lowkey off-topic for this thread?

True, but taking into consideration how it was originally supposed to be a series mascot doesn't change things. I mean who knows how it would have been if they kept that in mind when they made the let's go games.

Actually, kind of surprised they just didn't go with Charizard for the second mascot. Why not have a Let's Go Charmander where charmander evolves. I mean especially considering Charizard has been a god since at least the beginning of the TCG.

It's been said in an interview somewhere that Pikachu was chosen as the mascot because its color scheme is more gender neutral. Not sure if they gave a reason why they didn't choose Eevee early on, but I think maybe they thought it looked a little too generic? I mean, it is a brown fox-like creature with no obvious fantastical traits (until it evolves at least) whereas Pikachu is clearly a magic beast (its tail is even shaped like a lightning bolt).

I thought it was that they polled the GF office and Pikachu was favored over Clefairy, which surprised… whoever was making the mascot decision, I can’t remember.

I wonder if this gen’s villainous team will be actual criminals rather than petty delinquents like we’ve gotten the past two gens.
I hope so. I actually quite liked Skull since characters reacted appropriately to them and the games had some surprising punch ready when you get to their hideout.

Team Yell were just universally lame. I didn't think we'd get a worse team than Flare but here we are.

I wonder if Nemona will get a Starter that the Player didn't pick?

Since there's always at least 1 unpicked Starter that gets taken by the Rival

In the Trailer we only saw her with Pawmi, Smolive and Lechonk tho so maybe a hint that we will get at least 1 or 2 more rivals?

Or they decide to do that thing they did in Gens 7 and Gen 8 where the last remaining Starter goes to the Champion

Back
Top Bottom