• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Predictions/Speculation/Discussion Thread

I'm wondering how the ending works. Like, do each of the three stories have their own separate ending and once you complete all 3 in whatever order you are just... done, nothing special or anything. Or will it be a case where like, once you complete the three stories you unlock one big final mission you go on with the big final boss and the credits sequence and all?

I'm wondering how the ending works. Like, do each of the three stories have their own separate ending and once you complete all 3 in whatever order you are just... done, nothing special or anything. Or will it be a case where like, once you complete the three stories you unlock one big final mission you go on with the big final boss and the credits sequence and all?

I'm guessing there's no "true" ending to the entire game, just endings to the 3 quests. Game Freak would probably like it that way, and honestly that's probably for the best. The concept of "finishing" a game is somewhat strange when you think about it, the game only truly ends when you get bored of it and stop playing. Otherwise, you can just continue it for as long as you want to and Game Freak would honestly prefer it that way, they want you to keep playing it forever and ever (or at least until they're ready to release the next game). And they'd doubly like that for this game which is a huge open world adventure that you can enjoy however you want and with friends, this game more than ever seems to designed to be something you could theoretically play endlessly.

I'm guessing there's no "true" ending to the entire game, just endings to the 3 quests. Game Freak would probably like it that way, and honestly that's probably for the best. The concept of "finishing" a game is somewhat strange when you think about it, the game only truly ends when you get bored of it and stop playing. Otherwise, you can just continue it for as long as you want to and Game Freak would honestly prefer it that way, they want you to keep playing it forever and ever (or at least until they're ready to release the next game). And they'd doubly like that for this game which is a huge open world adventure that you can enjoy however you want and with friends, this game more than ever seems to designed to be something you could theoretically play endlessly.
While I can see the merit to that, I feel that without anything special after you complete the 3 quests it might feel like it was just... sort of a waste of time, you aren't rewarded for doing it all and they weren't leading up to anything bigger. That and it would technically mean SV doesn't have a post game at all, which is why I think it is very much possible for there to be some final story after you finish the three, something similar in nature to the ORAS delta episode or the PLA post-game.

While I can see the merit to that, I feel that without anything special after you complete the 3 quests it might feel like it was just... sort of a waste of time, you aren't rewarded for doing it all and they weren't leading up to anything bigger. That and it would technically mean SV doesn't have a post game at all, which is why I think it is very much possible for there to be some final story after you finish the three, something similar in nature to the ORAS delta episode or the PLA post-game.

It's an open world game. They're supposed to be designed in a way that you can just go out and do whatever you want whenever you want instead of being forced to complete content in a specific order. The concept of a "post game" kind of goes against the design philosophy of open world. And really, I think Pokemon fans have been a bit spoiled when it comes to post games, I've seen few other games with such expansive post games as what we're used to with Pokemon. At any rate, it could have a final quest, but I don't think that's the direction they want to go. I think they want to set up the three quests system in a way that you can complete any of them you want, they're very much setting up this game in a way that it's going to be the experience the player wants it to be. So IDK that they're going to lock certain features behind quests the player might not be interested in, they're probably mostly going to set it up as "okay, here's the entire game, go do whatever interests you".

It's an open world game. They're supposed to be designed in a way that you can just go out and do whatever you want whenever you want instead of being forced to complete content in a specific order. The concept of a "post game" kind of goes against the design philosophy of open world. And really, I think Pokemon fans have been a bit spoiled when it comes to post games, I've seen few other games with such expansive post games as what we're used to with Pokemon. At any rate, it could have a final quest, but I don't think that's the direction they want to go. I think they want to set up the three quests system in a way that you can complete any of them you want, they're very much setting up this game in a way that it's going to be the experience the player wants it to be. So IDK that they're going to lock certain features behind quests the player might not be interested in, they're probably mostly going to set it up as "okay, here's the entire game, go do whatever interests you".
Fair point on the post game thing but as for the first part, 90% of open world games still have a specific big overarching main story that you finish with the credits and all. But with these three stories I can't imagine any one feeling more "main" story than the others, and I feel that might make the whole game seem like just 3 long side quests rather than having any sort of main story to strive to see the end of. And I think that all three stories coming together to the end for a big final thing would help alleviate that problem. But I suppose we won't really have any way of knowing until the game comes out.
(Also I can't imagine that many people who would play the game and only finish one or two of the stories and not bother with the others)

I think neither of those three stories are related to the main plot and rather are subplots/side stories on their own.

Instead I think it will probably be a checklist to unlock the next part of the story.

Lets say you have to beaten one gym leader + 1 mission of story 2 + 1 mission of story 3 to unlock the next part of the main story. After that part of the main story you then have to have beaten 2 gym leaders, 2 missions of story 2/3 etc.

People who played Need for Speed Most Wanted: It's the exact same.

I'm thinking that due to potential remakes these games would have a lot of connections to the Johto region.
Although I'm not excited about the prospect of seeing Kanto again while Kalos desperately needs redemption I would love to see Johto on the Switch. I'm predicting a ScarVio DLC in the summer of 2023 and new Johto games of some sort (either a plain remake, a Let's Go sequel or something like Legends) in the fall of 2024.

I feel like this is going to be a long generation. They'll want Gen 10 for the 30th anniversary.

Although I'm not excited about the prospect of seeing Kanto again while Kalos desperately needs redemption I would love to see Johto on the Switch. I'm predicting a ScarVio DLC in the summer of 2023 and new Johto games of some sort (either a plain remake, a Let's Go sequel or something like Legends) in the fall of 2024.

I feel like this is going to be a long generation. They'll want Gen 10 for the 30th anniversary.

People who are expecting 4 or 5 years because of the 30th anniversary are gonna be disappointed.

This is because of the VCG. It cannot be supported longer than 3 years with a current Pokedex and now the National Dex is gone, realistically it cannot even support itself for 3 years without it getting boring.

People who are expecting 4 or 5 years because of the 30th anniversary are gonna be disappointed.

This is because of the VCG. It cannot be supported longer than 3 years with a current Pokedex and now the National Dex is gone, realistically it cannot even support itself for 3 years without it getting boring.
Stuff like this is why Game Freak & TPCi should have either never thrown away the National Dex or the Triple and Rotation battle formats. Instead, they just keep removing stuff that would increase the longevity of the games and the competitive scene just to earn a quick buck. Why not have one of the VGC tournaments focus on Triple Battles or Rotation Battles? Why not just patch in the rest of the Pokémon when you can clearly fit the majority of them in a single generation? By actively removing things and/or forcing Game Freak to exclude certain features with a short development cycle with not plans to patch these things in, the Pokémon Company are artificially (or maybe deliberately) putting themselves into an unsustainable cycle of planned obsolescence. If TPCi didn't pressure Game Freak to cut corners and not shake up the type of battle formats used, then the VGC could very well be extended at least a year or two. They need to change or the bubble's going to burst and permanently damage the franchise's reputation, yet all the higher ups see are dollar signs to be made in the short term.

The Presents is over! Here's some brand new Scarlet and Violet info!

BTW, did anyone else recognize the voice of the woman narrating the trailer? I think it was Hilary Thomas. :unsure: (Y'know, the lady who voiced Salon Maiden Anabel in Battle Frontier, among others? At least I think it's her. People have told me I've got a pretty good ear.)

Last edited:
I wonder if it'll be possible to actually attend classes at the school.

Here they made a point of mentioning classes you could attend with a Pokemon.

I hope they put some effort into making the school somewhere you'd want to visit. If it's just a starting area that you forget about straight away it'll be pretty underwhelming.

It'd be nice if they made the school like Earl's Pokemon Academy in Pokemon Stadium 2. That was such a great tutorial mode that really taught you some in depth strategies. Bring that back, throw in some decent rewards, and then that would be a worthwhile sidequest to make you want to attend the classes there.

Am I the only one that wants an optional standard trainer school? Because every time Trainer Schools have been implemented I feel like that Parks and Rec Home Depot meme.

I rather it be like the test bits in Persona 5 then like glorified tutorials. If not real world history then like have expert Pokémon world history or something. I don't want to waste precious play time listening to the teachers explain how to catch Pokémon or explain type match ups if the classes are un-skipable. I've known how to do that for nearly 25 years now, I don't need a refresher course in that stuff.

Long post incoming. Been thinking a lot lately about the recent information and I really hope that this game will actually be set up in a way that we can truly play out our stories the way we want to. I really don't want them to be going on about how we can play in any order we want on the site, but in actuality there is some sort of 'desired' path the game prefers we take. Obviously it won't be forced, but I worry that the design will be such, that they expect we take on challenges in a certain order.

I just keep thinking about the gyms and how they said we can battle them in any order...and yet they made it clear that there are 'stronger' and therefore 'weaker' gym leaders. I mean, if there are leaders stronger than others, that means I really can't battle them in any order because just logically it makes no sense to go all the way to a gym leader, realize I'm too low leveled for them, get swept, grind up to battle them again, then go back to sweep through the weaker ones. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's good that there is an option for those who want it. And for people who plan to do the other stories first and leave the gyms for last, it doesn't really matter. But to me it just doesn't sound like it would be fun. Outside of me literally replacing my team for each gym battle, it seems pointless to battle a stronger leader before a weaker one because I'll be over-leveled and just destroy them easily. Again, obviously we technically can battle the gyms in any order, but just thinking about what makes sense, it sounds like there are still leaders meant to be battled before others.

And my big issue (what this whole post amounts to) is that that I fear having to backtrack. I really don't want to choose to set out on my preferred path only to realize that I'm too weak for something, or I need a certain item that I can only get somewhere else, and I need to backtrack or head off to somewhere else. Even riding on the legendary, that still would take time away from me actually doing what I want to do. Maybe I am missing something or I'm just thinking too much and I'm overreacting, because the site didn't provide too much detail. I do hope that they'll provide more information before release or that at least in game there will be something optional that can give us an idea of the level ranges for not only the gyms but the other 2 stories' tasks as well. I'm still excited for the games, that was just something on my mind, but again, I might just be overthinking it.

Last edited:
Ok I love Koraidon a lot more now that I realise those arnt actually wheels lol.
7463E9B3-2524-48AF-A782-286BC2F6691F.jpeg

Long post incoming. Been thinking a lot lately about the recent information and I really hope that this game will actually be set up in a way that we can truly play out our stories the way we want to. I really don't want them to be going on about how we can play in any order we want on the site, but in actuality there is some sort of 'desired' path the game prefers we take. Obviously it won't be forced, but I worry that the design will be such, that they expect we take on challenges in a certain order.

I just keep thinking about the gyms and how they said we can battle them in any order...and yet they made it clear that there are 'stronger' and therefore 'weaker' gym leaders. I mean, if there are leaders stronger than others, that means I really can't battle them in any order because just logically it makes no sense to go all the way to a gym leader, realize I'm too low leveled for them, get swept, grind up to battle them again, then go back to sweep through the weaker ones. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's good that there is an option for those who want it. And for people who plan to do the other stories first and leave the gyms for last, it doesn't really matter. But to me it just doesn't sound like it would be fun. Outside of me literally replacing my team for each gym battle, it seems pointless to battle a stronger leader before a weaker one because I'll be over-leveled and just destroy them easily. Again, obviously we technically can battle the gyms in any order, but just thinking about what makes sense, it sounds like there are still leaders meant to be battled before others.

And my big issue (what this whole post amounts to) is that that I fear having to backtrack. I really don't want to choose to set out on my preferred path only to realize that I'm too weak for something, or I need a certain item that I can only get somewhere else, and I need to backtrack or head off to somewhere else. Even riding on the legendary, that still would take time away from me actually doing what I want to do. Maybe I am missing something or I'm just thinking too much and I'm overreacting, because the site didn't provide too much detail. I do hope that they'll provide more information before release or that at least in game there will be something optional that can give us an idea of the level ranges for not only the gyms but the other 2 stories' tasks as well. I'm still excited for the games, that was just something on my mind, but again, I might just be overthinking it.
This is something I wonder about as well. Pokémon has a number of major differences from other non-linear RPGs I've played, noteable that they tend to be quite small for the genre, which could easily limit how many areas they have for each rough level range and make the non-linearity feel a little hollow if going to them out of order ruins all the earlier ones (something I find plausible with modern Pokémon exp system).

For instance Legends Arceus tended to have fairly large wild level ranges in areas, but will this follow suit? Would you be able to go to the ice area (usually a late-game area) and find stuff in the 10-20 range or will every Ice-type be level 40+ and either only available later on or game breakers if you manage to get one early?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom