• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Predictions/Speculation/Discussion Thread

Gen 8's new Pokémon don't seem to be as disliked as gen 5's, on the general internet that is. Of all generations, 5 generated the biggest amount of 'hate' towards designs (undeservingly so, in my opinion).

What with a lot of love for generation 2 Pokémon on the Switch titles (Cursola, Wyrdeer, Ursaluna, Overqwil, Sneasler and gen 9's upcoming evolutions for Wooper, Girafarig and Dunsparce), I hope generation 3's turn will come, as well. Plenty of species could use evolutions or split branches to spice things up.

Generation 4 and 6 are at quite a good place and don't 'need' as much. Although some small touch-ups here and there are always welcome.

If Girafarig does get an evolution I hope it goes the Alolan Exeggutor route where it has a really long neck that makes it super tall. It's a giraffe after all so it would make sense just like how tall palm trees can get.

It's not terrible, but I think it's face was a bit childishly designed though.

I think Gen 8 comes in for undeserved heat vs other Gens in the game universe, I did like Gen 7 more but the only real issue I have with it (probably will with Gen 9) is Dexit, not sure if we're going to have to import our SCVT Pokemon into Pokemon Home to get the full Dex again...hope not, but heard we may.

I mean, I don't know what else could have been done with the face with such limited space to work with. But on the on the other hand the face does blend in with the holes and dents in the rock.

A lot of the issues ive seen with gen 8 Pokémon (and most Gen 5, 6, and 7 Pokémon) just seems to stem from the James Turner hate even if he wasn't the only one designing the Pokémon. I wonder if Falinks and Toxel would still get all the hate if people knew they were designed by the same guy that did character designs for Fire Emblem, No More Heroes, and a handful of other games and anime.

Anyway, as for dexit, it was going to happen sooner or later. Maybe even back during Gen 3 since they were going to pull a Gen 5 with it at one point. So its probably here to stay forever.

Gen 8's new Pokémon don't seem to be as disliked as gen 5's, on the general internet that is. Of all generations, 5 generated the biggest amount of 'hate' towards designs (undeservingly so, in my opinion).

What with a lot of love for generation 2 Pokémon on the Switch titles (Cursola, Wyrdeer, Ursaluna, Overqwil, Sneasler and gen 9's upcoming evolutions for Wooper, Girafarig and Dunsparce), I hope generation 3's turn will come, as well. Plenty of species could use evolutions or split branches to spice things up.

Generation 4 and 6 are at quite a good place and don't 'need' as much. Although some small touch-ups here and there are always welcome.
True, Gen 5 however is generally now looked upon as the apex for the games of many long-time fans so it kind of balances out so far, design wise it came in for the most heat but plot wise it gets the most praise these days.

I mean, I don't know what else could have been done with the face with such limited space to work with. But on the on the other hand the face does blend in with the holes and dents in the rock.

A lot of the issues ive seen with gen 8 Pokémon (and most Gen 5, 6, and 7 Pokémon) just seems to stem from the James Turner hate even if he wasn't the only one designing the Pokémon. I wonder if Falinks and Toxel would still get all the hate if people knew they were designed by the same guy that did character designs for Fire Emblem, No More Heroes, and a handful of other games and anime.

Anyway, as for dexit, it was going to happen sooner or later. Maybe even back during Gen 3 since they were going to pull a Gen 5 with it at one point. So its probably here to stay forever.
Fair enough.

I actually think Falinks is kinda cute, Toxel not so much but interesting re: James Turner.

True, though I think it's unfortunate re-Dexit the most: we at least do have Pokemon Home so we can find out the full Dex through it, but I hope someday the full dex makes it return to the main Series games.

Feebas line please!

True, though I think it's unfortunate re-Dexit the most: we at least do have Pokemon Home so we can find out the full Dex through it, but I hope someday the full dex makes it return to the main Series games.
it won't. it's a shitton of work for GF to make models for them all, and considering that most casual pokemon fans don't even use the feature, that work is better spent elsewhere. best we can hope for is that our favorites keep showing up. GF, please don't ditch Whiscash.

it won't. it's a shitton of work for GF to make models for them all, and considering that most casual pokemon fans don't even use the feature, that work is better spent elsewhere. best we can hope for is that our favorites keep showing up. GF, please don't ditch Whiscash.
I guess, but who knows? They may bring back the full National Dex one day, never say never. I'll be curious to see what the total is in Pokemon Home though, going to be interesting to see what No. 1000 is in particular.

Whiscash has been in Galar, IoA, CT and PLA lol.

Not sure about BDSP, don't really count it.

What does Gen 3 even need as far as evolutions? There aren't many Gen 3 Pokemon that feel like they need a boost. Tropius and Luvdisc could use some, but that's about it as far as I can see.

True, Gen 5 however is generally now looked upon as the apex for the games of many long-time fans so it kind of balances out so far, design wise it came in for the most heat but plot wise it gets the most praise these days.
Although in my experience what the current apex is moves one generation every few years. Not long ago it was gen 4. Before that it was gen 3, before that gen 2...
Not too long before people say it was gen 6.

Although in my experience what the current apex is moves one generation every few years. Not long ago it was gen 4. Before that it was gen 3, before that gen 2...
Not too long before people say it was gen 6.
True, wouldn't be surprised by that either, though I have seen some say the dip coincided with Gen 6 generally speaking, 7 went up to a new high, etc.

i'm still of the opinion that gen 4 is when pokemon peaked, though i'll admit gen 5 is also good. don't think people will ever claim gen 6 was the best though; it's quite clearly not as good as what came before or after. they were experimenting with 3d graphics; many of the gym puzzles and route designs revolved around "look at our cool new 3D models". i can sorta understand why they did it this way, but the novelty of a 3D mainline pokemon game has worn off.

Megas are obsolete now, except for Go.

@Bolt Strike Regional forms + evolutions would be nice for a few, maybe something for Kecleon, Gulpin/Swalot, Shuppet/Banette, to name a few. It's a huge generation.

Castform could also use something, especially since it has quite an interesting concept

Gimmickmons like Kecleon and Castform tend not to evolve. At best maybe I could see Kecleon, but probably not Castform. Gulpin/Swalot seem like prime candidates for a regional variant, but not necessarily a regional evolution. Shuppet/Banette used to be paired with Duskull/Dusclops until we got Dusknoir so it'd be nice for that pairing to be restored, but Banette got a Mega Evolution instead and while Megas largely aren't being used in the main games they haven't been fully retired and they haven't yet given an evolution to any Pokemon that can Mega Evolve, so they may be hesitant to let any of those Pokemon evolve yet.

Also, just because it's a huge generation doesn't mean it needs a huge number of cross gen evolutions. Most of the evolution lines feel fairly complete. And when you factor in conventions such as not giving them to Pokemon that can Mega Evolve or limiting themselves to 3 stages, that limits their options. A lot of Gen 3 Pokemon fall into one or both of those categories (seems to be about half of them).

I actually think Gen 5 is a bit overrated. Yes, the plot is good, but a lot of what people have hated about the recent generations (especially Gens 6 and 7) started in Gen 5 yet it mostly seems to escape the same criticism. That was when they started making the regions more linear, casualizing the gameplay, having the NPCs hold your hand and stop you every 5 seconds for plot, make the trainer rosters too easy, too small, etc. And that's where some of the traditional side content and QoL features started to disappear (no Game Corner, no Safari Zone, no Secret Bases/decoration mode like your room in GSCHGSS, no Battle Frontier, no trainer rematch device like the Phone, Trainer's Eyes or Vs. Seeker, no berry planting). Don't get me wrong, it did some great things, but overall I feel like the praise is unwarranted and that generation felt like one step forward and two steps back. That was when Pokemon really went off the rails to me.

Last edited:
I decided to Check because why not, there are 31 Gen 3 Lines that aren't 3 stage, don't have a mega, dont have a regional variant already, haven't already gotten a cross gen evo, and aren't a gimmick mon (Castform, Kecleon, and Spinda (Last one is arguable))
Swellow Line
Pelipper Line
Masquerain Line
Breloom Line
Ninjask/Shedinja Line
Hariyama Line
Delcatty Line
Plusle and Minun
Volbeat and Illumise
Swalot Line
Wailord Line
Torkoal Line
Grumpig Line
Cacturne Line
Zangoos
Seviper
Lunatone
Solrock
Whishcash Line
Crawdaunt Line
Claydol Line
Cradily Line
Armaldo Line
Milotic Line
Banette Line
Tropius
Huntail/Gorebyss Line
Relicanth
Luvdisc
So take that as you will in your discussion of Gen 3 Mons getting things.

Edit: I also excluded Legendaries

Megas are obsolete now, except for Go.

@Bolt Strike Regional forms + evolutions would be nice for a few, maybe something for Kecleon, Gulpin/Swalot, Shuppet/Banette, to name a few. It's a huge generation.
Doesn't change the fact they still got them. I also doubt megas will be gone forever. I'm sure it will come back Semi randomly every few games. After all it has gamefreak precious dragon charizard and a few legendary forms. It was in every gen 6 and 7 game, including lets go. Lets not assume its never coming back whe its been absent from 1 generation, but been in every side game of gen 8 anyway. Probably this game too though tbh. Unless primal never comes back, which I would hate that because primal groudon is so cool.

Also makes me wonder if ultra Necorzma will never come back. And I can already see Zacian and Zamazenta not getting their crowned forms even if they come back just by virtue of not including their rusted items in future games.

Gimmickmons like Kecleon and Castform tend not to evolve. At best maybe I could see Kecleon, but probably not Castform. Gulpin/Swalot seem like prime candidates for a regional variant, but not necessarily a regional evolution. Shuppet/Banette used to be paired with Duskull/Dusclops until we got Dusknoir so it'd be nice for that pairing to be restored, but Banette got a Mega Evolution instead and while Megas largely aren't being used in the main games they haven't been fully retired and they haven't yet given an evolution to any Pokemon that can Mega Evolve, so they may be hesitant to let any of those Pokemon evolve yet.

Also, just because it's a huge generation doesn't mean it needs a huge number of cross gen evolutions. Most of the evolution lines feel fairly complete. And when you factor in conventions such as not giving them to Pokemon that can Mega Evolve or limiting themselves to 3 stages, that limits their options. A lot of Gen 3 Pokemon fall into one or both of those categories (seems to be about half of them).

I actually think Gen 5 is a bit overrated. Yes, the plot is good, but a lot of what people have hated about the recent generations (especially Gens 6 and 7) started in Gen 5 yet it mostly seems to escape the same criticism. That was when they started making the regions more linear, casualizing the gameplay, having the NPCs hold your hand and stop you every 5 seconds for plot, make the trainer rosters too easy, too small, etc. And that's where some of the traditional side content and QoL features started to disappear (no Game Corner, no Safari Zone, no Secret Bases/decoration mode like your room in GSCHGSS, no Battle Frontier, no trainer rematch device like the Phone, Trainer's Eyes or Vs. Seeker, no berry planting). Don't get me wrong, it did some great things, but overall I feel like the praise is unwarranted and that generation felt like one step forward and two steps back. That was when Pokemon really went off the rails to me.
But not regional forms. Slowbro has a mega and a regional form. I'd ask how that would work with megas if it comes back, but galatians slowbro just wouldn't be able to use the mega stone I guess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom