• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Predictions/Speculation/Discussion Thread

they weren't all winners, but there were some solid ones like acerola's one and the electric one (forgot the kid's name). in contrast, gen 6 had only 1 cool gym (Viola) and most of the others were just "look what we can do with our cool new 3D models".
That's not a very good example, Sophocles and Acerola's trials had to be changed in usum because of they really weren't that good in sm... And although that isn't the case for me, I remember people ranting about how much they disliked Lana's trial. They didn't even create a fairy trial in Sun and moon...
Valerie's gym is a classic puzzle with a dollhouse setting, and it is a nice callback to her origins in my opinion. Wulfric's gym is also a classic puzzle and Ramos gym is nice not because of the "cool 3d models" but simply because swinging on vines is fun, Iris does this in the anime.
maybe i'm just a noob, but i remember struggling with Mallow's totem Lurantis. of course, i turn the EXP share off.
Lurantis is the easiest trial of them all, it is a slow grass type that summons the sun, making it even weaker to fire moves...

Alola had several routes that weren't straight lines. that's more than i can say for any other pokemon game, bar maybe gen 3. maybe i was exaggerating when i said that gen 7 completely ditched the concept, but gen 6 was no better than gen 8 in this regard.
Uh... Not at all ? Alola has the most straight lines in any pokémon game and if you look at Sinnoh routes you will notice that they are far more tortuous. I don't get why you're bringing up Galar but if we don't count the wild areas, I disagree : gen 6 has a maze and a real victory road and most of the routes weren't as small.

i fail to see how gen 7's cry scenes are a bad thing. i love a sob story
You really like bad melodrama revolving around random npcs ? The little girl with the Sylveon, the Poni Island man, the old lady in the cemetery... Most of these stories are completely unecessary and feel like retellings of each other. Usually, when you hear the stupid "Farewell" theme, you know you're here for something very cringe. (Shoutout to that one Lusamine/Mohn scene)

route 1 isn't a straight line iirc

Route 1 itself isn't, but the way it's explored is. It's basically two straight lines and during your first two visits they block off one and force you to progress through the other.

nor is much of the stuff on poni island

Well there's a couple of things going on with Poni Island. For one, it doesn't have any numbered routes, just overword areas. Two, most of Poni Island is post game, where they tend to loosen things up. But even if you get past that, Poni Island is still kinda linear. The areas are just a bit wider.

Does the desert area count?

The conversation specified routes, so no. But even Haina Desert was fairly simplistic in design as well. A bit less linear, but it's just a handful of small rooms with multiple exits.

That's not a very good example, Sophocles and Acerola's trials had to be changed in usum because of they really weren't that good in sm... And although that isn't the case for me, I remember people ranting about how much they disliked Lana's trial. They didn't even create a fairy trial in Sun and moon...
Valerie's gym is a classic puzzle with a dollhouse setting, and it is a nice callback to her origins in my opinion. Wulfric's gym is also a classic puzzle and Ramos gym is nice not because of the "cool 3d models" but simply because swinging on vines is fun, Iris does this in the anime.

Lurantis is the easiest trial of them all, it is a slow grass type that summons the sun, making it even weaker to fire moves...

Uh... Not at all ? Alola has the most straight lines in any pokémon game and if you look at Sinnoh routes you will notice that they are far more tortuous. I don't get why you're bringing up Galar but if we don't count the wild areas, I disagree : gen 6 has a maze and a real victory road and most of the routes weren't as small.

You really like bad melodrama revolving around random npcs ? The little girl with the Sylveon, the Poni Island man, the old lady in the cemetery... Most of these stories are completely unecessary and feel like retellings of each other. Usually, when you hear the stupid "Farewell" theme, you know you're here for something very cringe. (Shoutout to that one Lusamine/Mohn scene)
I had torrracat, and used the fire z move in the sun. Lurantis laughed in my face as it tanked it.

Lana's trial wasn't a winner, i'll admit that. though besides the ones i mentioned, i also liked Mallow's trial, and the atmosphere around the Kommo-O trial was really good.

Valerie's gym was just a clone of Sabrina's gym. it wasn't fun then and it isn't fun now. Ramos's gym and Grant's gym are essentially the same; you climb the central spire and move around it because pretty 3d visuals. i'll admit Wulfric's gym wasn't the worst of the bunch and wasn't just a case of "look at the pretty visuals", but what you did there had little to no connection with the type theme, which is always a negative for me.
those were more forgettable than cringe. as evidenced by the fact that i completely forgot about them and thought you were talking about the sad stuff surrounding Lillie in the main quest.

People use cringe too much anymore. My age must be showing because seeing someone call 'sad' moments cringe just makes me laugh a little. Sorry, it just makes them look like edgy teenagers. People have emotions and deciding to have these moments isn't cringey. I don't find the moments sad myself though. I just acknowledge them for what they are, sentimental touches of the reality of death or sad events people really face. Plus my anti-depressants and anxiety medications make me mostly incapable of crying. They don't really affect me, but they don't really bother me anyway. I didn't even remember them until they were brought up, actually lol. ...I still don't remember the poni island man though.

Lana's trial is okay, but I like her forgotten personality trait of hoping the splashing noises were some "strapping young swimmer in need of saving." Like almost all of her other characterizations outside of the games forgets she's just really thirsty for swimmers.

Lana's trial wasn't a winner, i'll admit that. though besides the ones i mentioned, i also liked Mallow's trial, and the atmosphere around the Kommo-O trial was really good.

Valerie's gym was just a clone of Sabrina's gym. it wasn't fun then and it isn't fun now. Ramos's gym and Grant's gym are essentially the same; you climb the central spire and move around it because pretty 3d visuals. i'll admit Wulfric's gym wasn't the worst of the bunch and wasn't just a case of "look at the pretty visuals", but what you did there had little to no connection with the type theme, which is always a negative for me.
I never said Valerie's gym was fun and Ramos's gym could have been made on the ds, it's just the concept of swinging on vines that is nice.

My age must be showing because seeing someone call 'sad' moments cringe just makes me laugh a little. Sorry, it just makes them look like edgy teenagers. People have emotions and deciding to have these moments isn't cringey. I don't find the moments sad myself though. I just acknowledge them for what they are, sentimental touches of the reality of death or sad events people really face
Playing sad violin music during a scene about a random npc's life is just trying to make it melodramatic. It is unecessary and unsubtle so yes, sorry for the word, but it is cringe.
The sad events people really face ? I don't think reuniting with your husband that was apparently lost in another dimension or getting his pokémon after he died in a car crash is something that will happen to you irl.
By the way, thanks for calling me an edgy teenager... Very mature of you.

I never said Valerie's gym was fun and Ramos's gym could have been made on the ds, it's just the concept of swinging on vines that is nice.
you cited Valerie's gym as a counterargument when i said that kalos only has 1 cool gym. sorry if i deduced from that that you thought it was cool. it recycled an old, unfun puzzle and set it in a cool 3d dollhouse. so yeah, "look at our cool new 3d models" incarnate.

the vines in Ramos's gym would have been cool if they did anything interesting with the concept. however, we just swing around this central pillar to show how cool it is to have a 3d pillar to swing around.

I do feel the original concept of the term "Cringe" has been lost over time by the internet, which is fine words change meaning. But most thing's people call cringe do not fall under the original defeniton of "Something that makes you feel Uncomfortable or Embarrassed"

I do feel the original concept of the term "Cringe" has been lost over time by the internet, which is fine words change meaning. But most thing's people call cringe do not fall under the original defeniton of "Something that makes you feel Uncomfortable or Embarrassed"
Lately, people often call each other cringe for having the absolute audacity to live their lives the way they want to live and I can't help but think "Why not just let people be happy? If no harm is being done to you directly or indirectly then why be so judgmental?". Heck, when I go on Reddit it is full of people attacking each other for having baby showers or getting a dog from the breeder instead of a rescue org. and other stuff. If these are westerners bullying other westerners for wanting to live their lives the way they are legally entitled to in a democracy then it is quite frankly disgraceful.

Edit: Because this got a bit off-topic I'm going to throw in a prediction. The DLC will come in June 2023, and it will introduce at least 10 new Pokemon, one of which shall be the rumored third legendary while the rest will likely be additional paradox forms. Also, I predict that the Primeape evo will have an attack stat of 120. No real reason for that particular number, just a prediction.

Edit: Because this got a bit off-topic I'm going to throw in a prediction. The DLC will come in June 2023, and it will introduce at least 10 new Pokemon, one of which shall be the rumored third legendary while the rest will likely be additional paradox forms. Also, I predict that the Primeape evo will have an attack stat of 120. No real reason for that particular number, just a prediction.
I expect at least one Legendary in the DLC and likely more--they're a very obvious thing to include as an incentive to buy an expansion pass.

Also I must just be bad at the game if you guys thought the totem battles were easy. They were 2v1 and the ally pokemon would always have a good tag team move set, not to mention the boosted stats.
Playstyle has a major effect; I used Pokepelago to get my team EV trained and this likely had a significant effect on making everyone in the game so easy to beat (well up until Poni when I got bored and stopped playing--maybe the difficulty was going to drastically spike but I doubt it). I figured if I didn't do it in the main game I'd have to scrub off all the EVs before I could do the post-game facility so it would make more sense to get it done early.

I recall Gumshoo put up a decent fight but the only other Totem I remember was Mimikyu getting humiliated by my lead Pokémon (exactly what happened is vague though--my lead was either Machamp or Machoke and I don't remember if they outright won or just left Mimikyu at low health).

Also I must just be bad at the game if you guys thought the totem battles were easy. They were 2v1 and the ally pokemon would always have a good tag team move set, not to mention the boosted stats.
In my experience it depened a lot on how fast the pokemon was and if the second pokemon could Heal the totem.
I remember struggling with Wishiwashi, Salazzle and Kommo-o in SM and Lurantis, Alolan Marrowak, Togedemaru, and Kommo-o in USUM (I had fire starter on my team for SM and grass starter for USUM hence the switch between water totem and grass totem)

you cited Valerie's gym as a counterargument when i said that kalos only has 1 cool gym. sorry if i deduced from that that you thought it was cool. it recycled an old, unfun puzzle and set it in a cool 3d dollhouse. so yeah, "look at our cool new 3d models" incarnate.

the vines in Ramos's gym would have been cool if they did anything interesting with the concept. however, we just swing around this central pillar to show how cool it is to have a 3d pillar to swing around.
Cool doesn't mean fun, I just said the callback to her origins was nice and it makes sense for her to have a pretty gym since she's a fashion designer.
In most games, there are gyms that aren't big or hard puzzles and that rely on a gimmick (sometimes a visual gimmick), like the Ramos one or Elesa's bw2 gym or Gardenia's gym, etc...
I get why not everyone would find them fun but gyms, unlike trials, are just gyms : they aren't supposed to be revolutionary or refreshing and I don't think they are particularly boring because again, they are just gyms, the goal is just to battle trainers and to find the gym leader. If they are boring then the entire concept of gyms is, because they aren't much different from regular gyms.
And that is probably why the question is often "Are gyms better than trials?" and not "which gyms are better than which trials ?" (or the opposite) because putting some gyms against some trials doesn't really make a lot of sense : it may just be a matter of taste, and the only things that can be really compared are the two concepts.
But in the end, maybe none of them is better than the other and it is also a matter of taste ?

If Scarlet and Violet are supposed to have three different storylines, I wonder how the DLC will tackle their story. Will it just be a separate storyline you can do whenever you want or is it meant to be done after completing the game?

If Scarlet and Violet are supposed to have three different storylines, I wonder how the DLC will tackle their story. Will it just be a separate storyline you can do whenever you want or is it meant to be done after completing the game?
Probably the former, the SWSH DLC had nothing to do with the main games story and you could do it whenever (Granted they forgot to make the Crown Tundra Scale so its only really doable post game or if you powerlevel)

Also to talk more Scarlet and Violet-y, We know that at least some gyms take place outside of what seems to be the Gym Building, so does that mean Gym Puzzles/Challenges are not in this game or will you like, do the challenge in the building then once you reach the end you leave to go battle the leader?

Cool doesn't mean fun, I just said the callback to her origins was nice and it makes sense for her to have a pretty gym since she's a fashion designer.
In most games, there are gyms that aren't big or hard puzzles and that rely on a gimmick (sometimes a visual gimmick), like the Ramos one or Elesa's bw2 gym or Gardenia's gym, etc...
I get why not everyone would find them fun but gyms, unlike trials, are just gyms : they aren't supposed to be revolutionary or refreshing and I don't think they are particularly boring because again, they are just gyms, the goal is just to battle trainers and to find the gym leader. If they are boring then the entire concept of gyms is, because they aren't much different from regular gyms.
And that is probably why the question is often "Are gyms better than trials?" and not "which gyms are better than which trials ?" (or the opposite) because putting some gyms against some trials doesn't really make a lot of sense : it may just be a matter of taste, and the only things that can be really compared are the two concepts.
But in the end, maybe none of them is better than the other and it is also a matter of taste ?
i don't have a problem with gyms that contain no puzzle. Brock and Misty's gyms are fine. Elesa in BW2 is also in this category. won't top my list of best gyms, but they're fine for what they are. what i do have a problem with are gyms where the "puzzle" revolves entirely around fancy graphics. Gardenia's Platinum gym was a dud in this regard, but that game had plenty of other cool gyms to make up for it.

also, we were discussing whether gen 6 is better than gen 7, so it makes perfect sense to be comparing gen 6's gyms to gen 7's equivalent. i should specify that i generally prefer gyms over trials; it's just that this particular subset of gyms were a bunch of duds imo.

Back
Top Bottom