• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet Predictions/Speculation/Discussion Thread

Probably the former, the SWSH DLC had nothing to do with the main games story and you could do it whenever (Granted they forgot to make the Crown Tundra Scale so its only really doable post game or if you powerlevel)

Also to talk more Scarlet and Violet-y, We know that at least some gyms take place outside of what seems to be the Gym Building, so does that mean Gym Puzzles/Challenges are not in this game or will you like, do the challenge in the building then once you reach the end you leave to go battle the leader?
i highly doubt they'll ditch gym puzzles entirely. either there'll be a gym puzzle out in the open, or you'll have to go to a building first to do the gym puzzle there.

No news at Worlds today. That makes me hopeful the announcement on the last day will be something bigger than normal but we'll have to see. I'm just excited to watch all the battles anyway.

i don't have a problem with gyms that contain no puzzle. Brock and Misty's gyms are fine. Elesa in BW2 is also in this category. won't top my list of best gyms, but they're fine for what they are. what i do have a problem with are gyms where the "puzzle" revolves entirely around fancy graphics. Gardenia's Platinum gym was a dud in this regard, but that game had plenty of other cool gyms to make up for it.

also, we were discussing whether gen 6 is better than gen 7, so it makes perfect sense to be comparing gen 6's gyms to gen 7's equivalent. i should specify that i generally prefer gyms over trials; it's just that this particular subset of gyms were a bunch of duds imo.
Well I don't think it is really bad to do that when it fits the gym leader or the game's identity (the theme of the game is the beauty) and if there are still regular puzzles but it's really just opinions here.
But I disagree, I don't think it really makes sense to compare them because they weren't made for the same purpose. The gen 6 gyms puzzles weren't marketed as "the new amazing challenge" (and they weren't marketed as incredibly beautiful either), they are just regular gyms.
The trials however were supposed to be a big change and to replace the gyms, they were even shown in the special demo, so I don't think it must be compared to this certain set of gyms, comparing it to the concept of gyms seems like a better choice.
Anyway I don't think they are a very good replacement for the gyms because they aren't particularly revolutionary and because you have to attack wild pokémon but if there are people who love them more than gyms that means they didn't fail at their job for them : the gen 8 gyms are close to the trials so I guess the majority of the fans liked gyms more than trials but they still loved the concept of trials and it means that maybe, the future gyms (and the SV gyms) will be a mix of trial-like activities and regular gym puzzles.

No news at Worlds today. That makes me hopeful the announcement on the last day will be something bigger than normal but we'll have to see. I'm just excited to watch all the battles anyway.
If a certain leak is true and they got the opening and closing ceremonies mixed up...people are probably not going to be happy unless they also like the TCG and mobile games.

Then again...I guess only one Pokémon is usually announced at Worlds. Impidimp doesn't count since it was never officially revealed.

If a certain leak is true and they got the opening and closing ceremonies mixed up...people are probably not going to be happy unless they also like the TCG and mobile games.

Then again...I guess only one Pokémon is usually announced at Worlds. Impidimp doesn't count since it was never officially revealed.

We did get some new information for both the gen 7 and 8 games at Worlds, even if it was small. Regardless of the scale, we will get trailers more frequently for Scarlet and Violet in the coming months if the Sword and Shield marketing pattern is followed. For reference, here are the list of trailers that Sword and Shield had:

Playing sad violin music during a scene about a random npc's life is just trying to make it melodramatic. It is unecessary and unsubtle so yes, sorry for the word, but it is cringe.
The sad events people really face ? I don't think reuniting with your husband that was apparently lost in another dimension or getting his pokémon after he died in a car crash is something that will happen to you irl.
By the way, thanks for calling me an edgy teenager... Very mature of you.
Can't exactly name yourself in sms-language and expect people to not call you a teenager, to be fair.

Anyway, what you find cringe or not is your opinion, but story-wise, SM knew what it wanted to talk about and which characters it wanted to be important, and objectively did most of that better than some parts of gen 6, at the very least. (See the recurring criticism of the Kalos friends group (not that deserved, 3 of them were endearing, but whether they were relevant is another story), Diantha's memorable screentime amounting to one cool dialogue about beauty not being that important, Brendan popping out of nowere to declare himself your best friend when dude, you... exist, but that's about all I can say.) Doesn't mean that gen 6 won't be considered the apex in a few years, fandom opinions move like that, but I would say it won't quite be deserved.

Can't exactly name yourself in sms-language and expect people to not call you a teenager, to be fair.

Anyway, what you find cringe or not is your opinion, but story-wise, SM knew what it wanted to talk about and which characters it wanted to be important, and objectively did most of that better than some parts of gen 6, at the very least. (See the recurring criticism of the Kalos friends group (not that deserved, 3 of them were endearing, but whether they were relevant is another story), Diantha's memorable screentime amounting to one cool dialogue about beauty not being that important, Brendan popping out of nowere to declare himself your best friend when dude, you... exist, but that's about all I can say.) Doesn't mean that gen 6 won't be considered the apex in a few years, fandom opinions move like that, but I would say it won't quite be deserved.
You didn't even read what I wrote. I never praised the gen 6 story or bad mouthed sm's story, I talked about the badly done melodrama of the side quests. And even if you don't find them cringe, you can't pretend they're good, realistic or actually tear jerking because they are not.

Attacking people on their username is obnoxious. I am not a teenager and dismissing somebody's opinion because of their age is a terrible thing to do anyway

Shauna was the only one i cared about. Calem is a bland rival, and the other two were underdeveloped.

Lana's trial wasn't a winner, i'll admit that. though besides the ones i mentioned, i also liked Mallow's trial, and the atmosphere around the Kommo-O trial was really good.

Valerie's gym was just a clone of Sabrina's gym. it wasn't fun then and it isn't fun now. Ramos's gym and Grant's gym are essentially the same; you climb the central spire and move around it because pretty 3d visuals. i'll admit Wulfric's gym wasn't the worst of the bunch and wasn't just a case of "look at the pretty visuals", but what you did there had little to no connection with the type theme, which is always a negative for me.

those were more forgettable than cringe. as evidenced by the fact that i completely forgot about them and thought you were talking about the sad stuff surrounding Lillie in the main quest.

Meh, really none of the trials were really that great, they all basically boiled down to "fight 3 wild Pokemon/trainers in a row then fight the totem". There wasn't much in terms of actual puzzles (the only one I would really consider a "puzzle" was USUM Sophocles). But XY wasn't much better either and I agree with you that many of them were more of the "look at our cool 3D models" variety (I did think Santalune, Couramine, Anistar, and Snowbelle were passable puzzles, but only Snowbelle was really that puzzling). Honestly though, gym puzzles have been mediocre since Gen 5, Gens 3 and 4 were peak gym puzzle design and no one can change my mind on that. So many good ones (RSE Lavaridge, RSE Fortree, both RS and Emerald Mossdeep, RSE Sootopolis, both DP and Platinum Veilstone, DPPt Pastoria, Platinum Hearthome, DPPt Canalave, DPPt Snowpoint, DPPt Sunyshore, HGSS Azalea, HGSS Mahogany, HGSS Blackthorn, HGSS Viridian) and the gym puzzles before or after it just pale in comparison. They're too simplistic either because of older hardware/lack of experience (Gen 1 and 2) or because they intentionally made them easier to appeal to casuals (Gen 5).

Shauna was the only one i cared about. Calem is a bland rival, and the other two were underdeveloped.
They were underdevelopped for sure, but I still liked what we saw of them. Agreed on Calem, though.

You didn't even read what I wrote. I never praised the gen 6 story or bad mouthed sm's story, I talked about the badly done melodrama of the side quests. And even if you don't find them cringe, you can't pretend they're good, realistic or actually tear jerking because they are not.

Attacking people on their username is obnoxious. I am not a teenager and dismissing somebody's opinion because of their age is a terrible thing to do anyway
Just saying that it's part of how you come off. But I think the part getting you dismissed is the edgyness anyway, the teenager is just attached to it because that's the cliché.

Might have mixed part of the discussion on gen 6's standing compared to the other gens with the specifics of the side quest complaining. I still stand by my conclusion and the fact that said complaining is subjective.

Just saying that it's part of how you come off. But I think the part getting you dismissed is the edgyness anyway, the teenager is just attached to it because that's the cliché.
You guys didn't have to tell me something like that because I used a word you don't like. I didn't attack or insult anybody, you guys don't have to treat me like that.
Might have mixed part of the discussion on gen 6's standing compared to the other gens with the specifics of the side quest complaining. I still stand by my conclusion and the fact that said complaining is subjective.
And I still stand by my conclusion that those scenes are ridiculous because of the way they try to be impactful and tear jerking but completely fail at it. Playing a titanic theme ripoff during a scene doesn't make it sad, it makes it look like a parody. Using 4 times the same topic to make sad scenes doesn't make them sad, it makes them uninspired and repetitive. And finally, trying to tackle that "serious" and solemn topic in such a way (with short and unrealistic interactions) is a very flawed approach.
Plus everyone here says they're forgettable which kinda proves my point.

(I have aspergers so you'll have to forgive me my bluntness or things like that. My social filters are wet tissuepaper at best and my poor sleep ability doesn't help it at all. I'm in my early 30s and was bullied heavily most of my life so I don't purposely try to bully people or personally attack them. But my terrible social skills sometimes come off worse than I intend.)

I won't disagree that the moments are meh and forgettable. My only issue is calling sad moments cringey. Cringe to me has always supposed to be the feeling that makes you want to crawl in a hole and hide yourself even if you're not the one doing the action. Extreme shame/embarassment. The moments you called cringe I'd instead call melodramatic.

(I have aspergers so you'll have to forgive me my bluntness or things like that. My social filters are wet tissuepaper at best and my poor sleep ability doesn't help it at all. I'm in my early 30s and was bullied heavily most of my life so I don't purposely try to bully people or personally attack them. But my terrible social skills sometimes come off worse than I intend.)

I won't disagree that the moments are meh and forgettable. My only issue is calling sad moments cringey. Cringe to me has always supposed to be the feeling that makes you want to crawl in a hole and hide yourself even if you're not the one doing the action. Extreme shame/embarassment. The moments you called cringe I'd instead call melodramatic.
It's fine don't worry. I hope your condition will get better.
Yes that's the thing. The word I was originally thinking about doesn't exist in english, I couldn't translate it properly.

I actually like the fact that we are getting another rotom phone I just wish it didn't look so similar, this isnt real life phone upgrades dont have to barely change.

In re-watching the recent trailer again, I noticed that Grusha sent out his Cetaitain in a regular Poke Ball. So are gym leaders back to using basic Poke Balls again? If so, that's rather disappointing. I was liking how more recent games were more diverse with the Poke Balls opponents used, with most Gym Leaders using Ultra Balls, but some others like Nessa using Dive Balls and Allister using Dusk Balls. It would be really disappointing to take such a step backwards. I'm hoping there's a chance this could be changed before release, but I doubt it. :confused_emoji:

Back
Top Bottom