• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon: Seeing Red

What do you think of this fan-fic? (Please post your reasoning)

• Excellent. I enjoy reading it.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Good. I like it.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Okay. I'm indifferent towards it.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Bad. I don't like it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terrible. I hate it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Frenzy Plant

Grass-type fanatic
Reaction score
(Please be gentle with me, this is the first time I've tried writing fan-fiction. :p)

POKÉMON: SEEING RED
The tale of a rookie Trainer and his Pokémon, as they venture across the Johto region to become the equals of Indigo League Champion Red and his Pokémon.
_________________________________________________​

Chapter 1: Birch At Dawn

I WANNA BE THE VERY BEST... An obnoxiously loud ring tone breached the early morning quiet of Cherrygrove City, as a young man with messy blond hair, dressed in dark grey trousers, a white and orange striped shirt and a lighter green scarf fumbled at the door of Green's Eats. This is 16 year old Pokémon Trainer Kingsley Green.

He hurriedly and blindly searched for keys in the depths of a weathered, brown messenger bag only a Pokémon trainer could own or navigate. LIKE NO ONE EVER WAS... The ring tone persisted, coming from somewhere inside the small family-run café Kingsley was trying to open, and belonged to his father. Though it was not nearly loud enough to bother anyone at 6:30am on a Friday, Kingsley was becoming increasingly embarrassed and irritated at the disruption to his morning routine. TO CATCH THEM IS MY REAL TEST... Finally he found the correct set of keys and swiftly opened the polished glass door, easily following the unnecessarily loud sound of his father's PokéNav through the restaurant's eating area, consisting of 6 two-seat tables and 4 four-seat tables. TO TRAIN THEM IS MY CAUSE... Kingsley denied himself his usual look at the massive collage of photographs of famous people and rare Pokémon that had visited Green's since his father opened the place three years ago as he stormed through the dimly lit café and into the kitchen, angrily tossing his bag onto the counter as he went for the still ringing PokéNav, which was plugged into a charger in the tiny office at the back of the kitchen.

The moment his fingertips touched the phone, the ringing stopped. Kingsley allowed himself to relax his shoulders and let out an aggravated sigh. How many times had he told Dad to change that horrible ring tone? How many times had he changed it himself? After a few deft taps at the touchscreen, the ring tone was set back to a default ring ring sound that he felt was more befitting a middle-aged business man like his dad. Not recognising the phone number of the call he had barely missed, he put the phone back in its place and went to pour himself a glass of Oran juice, wondering why Dad had uncharacteristically forgotten to take his precious PokéNav to Azalea Town with him. As he pressed the perspiring glass to his lips and began to take his first sip, the phone erupted once more...

I WANNA BE THE VERY BEST... Kingsley spluttered Oran juice onto the counter and nearly dropped the glass in surprise and anger. A stern frown firmly etched onto his face, he reached for the phone once more. LIKE NO ONE EV- He answered the PokéNav, cutting the ring tone short, indignantly sighing as he did so.

"Hello?" he said sharply, expecting one of Dad's old traveling buddies from his days as a roaming trainer to appear on the screen.

"Hello, young man!" A cheerful, bearded face chirped unexpectedly back at him, Kingsley instantly recognised the man as Professor Birch, Hoenn's resident Pokémon genius. The man who had given him his second Pokémon before his mother's job forced the family to move to Johto.

"Uh... hey professor, how's it going?" Kingsley asked awkwardly, surprised he would be contacting his Dad.

"I'm fine Kingsley, out in the field as always!" he responded cheerily.

"Professor it's half past six in the morning, why are you ou-" Again, Kingsley couldn't finish his sentence.

"I'm glad you answered the call, Kingsley, it's you I was looking for!" Birch interrupted.

"Me? What?" Kingsley replied, still half awake and confused.

"Yes! I wanted to know how your Treecko is getting on, and your Aipom of course." Birch chirped excitedly.

Kingsley could not comprehend how he could be so enthusiastic at this time of day. A shadow danced across the periphery of his vision. Looking up from the PokéNav's screen, Kingsley spotted a stout looking man with a long, makeshift walking stick in his hand and a large rucksack on his back standing outside: a hiker. The man was clearly looking to see if the café was opened. Spotting Kingsley standing by the counter through the large window, he knocked at the door to gain attention. A young-looking Sandshrew, hiding shyly behind the hiker's leg sheepishly, emulated its trainer by tapping at the window with his clawed paws, though must gentler. Kingsley mused to himself that this Sandshrew must be either recently captured, or recently hatched - this must be its first time in a town. He began mouthing "I'm sorry, we're closed." to the hiker. The hiker simply scrunched up his face and shrugged every time. Eventually, Kingsley started gesturing wildly with his free hand towards a small, A4 sized poster on the door that listed the café's opening times. After what Kingsley deemed an unnecessary length of time, the hiker got the message and sauntered off, looking defeated. The baby Sandshrew lingered a few seconds longer, tilting its head and looking at Kingsley. Kingsley put the PokéNav on the table, completely forgetting about Professor Birch, who was mid-rant about the virtues of spending time out in the habitats of Pokémon, and took a few steps towards the young Ground-type Pokémon. Clearly an infant, it was frightened by Kingsley's advance and rolled quickly up into a ball.

Kingsley was annoyed at himself he had scared a Pokémon, and hearing the hearty voice of the hiker calling the Sandshrew to come along, turned and walked back to the PokéNav. Tuning in to Birch's rant, he overheard him mention the absolute importance of "engaging a timid wild Pokémon on eye level, so as to convey that you mean no harm. Possibly offering food, too." With this in mind, Kingsley span on his heel - grabbing an Oran Berry from the fruit bowl on the counter - and looked to the door for Sandshrew. The little Pokémon had uncurled itself and was once again staring, head tilted, at him. Kingsley smiled, and moved toward it, crouching as he did so. Down at near eye level with the Mouse Pokémon, he smiled and held up the Oran Berry. Sandshrew hesitated, hearing the hearty bellow of its trainer once more. Kingsley opened the door slightly and offered the berry to Sandshrew. Another second's hesitation and the Ground-type gratefully took the treat from Kingsley's hand. It took a bite, thrilled, and smiled widely, before scurrying off to catch its trainer. It stopped briefly, waving at its human benefactor, who found the gesture adorable.

Humbled - and itching to share the hiker's freedom - Kingsley slowly returned to the counter, daydreaming about travel and Pokémon. He snapped back to reality swiftly however, realising he had left Birch hanging. His face went red as he dashed toward the PokéNav, ready to apologize until his face had went from red to blue.

"Sorry about that! They're both fine, professor, not much stronger than when we left Hoenn, unfortunately. I haven't really had the chance to train because of the café and mum being away." Kingsley said, shame in his voice.

Birch was apparently still rambling on about how to approach Pokémon in the wild, and didn't even notice Kingsley's absence.

"Sorry for what?" He asked, bemused. "Now lad, there's no reason to feel so down! I'm sure things will pick up for you soon! Johto's Gym Leaders won't know what hit them!" Birch stated, somewhat suspiciously.

"I guess you're right, professor, but..." Kingsley began, but was interrupted once more.

"Kingsley! I have to go! Say hi to your father for me!" And he was gone.

Kingsley thought he caught a glimpse of an angry Mightyena bearing down on Birch as he cut the call, and chuckled to himself, apparently unconcerned for Birch's well-being.

"I'm sure some kid will show up and use one of the Hoenn starters to get scare off that Mightyena, that's how we met Treecko. Right, Aipom?" Kingsley said aloud.

He waited a few seconds for a response, but heard nothing.

"Huh...?" Normally Aipom was close-by, but he was no where to be seen.

Kingsley smacked a hand to his forehead in embarrassment. In the fluster to get into the café to answer Dad's PokéNav he had forgotten to let Aipom out of his Poké Ball for the day. He quickly reached down to the back right-hand side of his belt and plucked off two minimized Poké Balls. Bringing them up to operational size with a tap of the buttons on the red and white capsules, he opened both balls. In a bright, white flash of energy that strained Kingsley's tired eyes, two Pokémon materialized on the counter in front of him.

"Tree!" Treecko called out as he stretched his arms and tail, glad to be out of his Poké Ball.

"Ai!" Aipom, Kingsley's first and main Pokémon happily waved the hand-like appendage on the end of his tail at his trainer, before scrambling up Kingsley's arm and onto his shoulder.

"'Morning, guys." Kingsley said, smiling.

Being around his Pokémon always cheered him up on the dreary early mornings in his father's café.

"Okay! You two ready to help me get the café ready to open? Dad says there's going to be a couple of special customers visiting today and he wants the place as clean as can be." Kingsley said as he picked up a brush.

"Ai! Ai!" "Tree, Treecko!" Aipom and Treecko called back an affirmative.

Kingsely looked down at the floor to see Aipom tying a dusting cloth to Treecko's tail, before picking up a second one with the end of his own tail. Kingsley grinned, proud he had such helpful and loyal Pokémon.

"Alright then, let's get to work!"

Coming soon...
Chapter 2: Lunch With A Champion

EDIT 1: Added a chunk more narration, it's a bit of a hefty read now. Many thanks to any who do. :)

EDIT 2: After some constructive criticism from Green Zubat and Flame Battler concerning my lack of description of both the main character, I've went back through and added little bits and pieces of description so you get an idea of the café and Kingsley.

Last edited:
I suggest smaller paragraphs, and perhaps less -ly's if you know what I mean. Excessive adverbs causes the reader to fumble over them, and thus draws them out of the story :) Just a tip. Overall, an enjoyable read :3

Overall a good first chapter but here are some specific pros & cons I'd like to mention:

Cons:

*There wasn't really much description of the café or Kingsley, in fact it seemed to me that you described the passing NPC better than the protagonist. I just think you need to bear in mind more description of the scenery & cast in future.

Pros:

*The inclusion of "gotta catch 'em all" is pure win

*I thought the protagonist's interaction with the NPC's Sandshrew was very creative, especially the really cute bit where it tapped on the window really gently too :3

I really must say, to be quite frank this is simply extraordinary for a first chapter on a first attempt at fanfic. I can't wait to see where this leads!
LIke perviously stated, you need better description. I currently have no idea of what the cafe looks like.
Also, you're doing an awesome job with emotion! When he gave food to the Sandshrew, I could feel that he's a compassionate trainer. It's great how you conveyed this, honestly!
This is a wonderful start for a fanfiction so i look forward to much more!

Thank you for all the constructive criticism and kind words, guys. It's all very encouraging, I welcome any further feedback you (or anyone else for that matter) have to offer.

DarkDreams: I see what you mean and totally agree with you. I was worried about it being too plain and simple when I wrote it, so I made it overly verbose. I'll try to tone it down and find an equilibrium as I go on. Thank you. :)

Green Zubat & Flame Battler: Thank you both for your input and kind words, please see the edit at the bottom of the first chapter. :)

*Grins.* This is a fantastic first attempt, Kipper. I definitely love your opening chapter, and I'll be coming back to read more as you update. My favorite part of your chapter was actually the little sandshrew, though. It was simply adorable. ^_^

Best of luck to you in your venture, Captain. If you want, I could try a critique once you have more chapters up. After all, every author has room for improvement. ;)

*Grins.* This is a fantastic first attempt, Kipper. I definitely love your opening chapter, and I'll be coming back to read more as you update. My favorite part of your chapter was actually the little sandshrew, though. It was simply adorable. ^_^

Best of luck to you in your venture, Captain. If you want, I could try a critique once you have more chapters up. After all, every author has room for improvement. ;)

That would be wonderful, I'd really appreciate it.

I'll start adding more chapters regularly this weekend. A combination of work, moving house, death in the family and extremely shit weather have held me back majorly; but I'm ready to get back to work. :)

*Nods.* I understand that all too well. We're moving before the end of the month, so things will be pretty busy as of tomorrow. Sorry to hear about the latter, though. *Pats.* I hope things will start looking up for you soon.

Very nice! Easy to read, i won't bother reiterating points that have already been mentioned by others, just saying well done on your first try!

Thank you same colour no doubt, I appreciate the kind words. I started reading your fic last night. :)

Wow this is really good, I wanna know what happens. Huuuuuhhhhh (surprised) is that 'Champion' Red?!

Hi everyone, just want to let you know the second chapter will be delayed even further.

I was planning to finish it and chapter 3 this weekend; but a friend of mine died this morning so I'm going to be preoccupied for a little while.

Sorry to anyone who was looking forward to the next chapter.

Aww ... You don't have to apologize for something like that, Kipper ... *huggles.* I'm sorry to hear of what has happened, and hope that things will begin looking up for you in the near future. Best of wishes to you.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom