• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Sleep Didn't Work For Me (& Might Not For You)

Unovia

Author of Pokemon of the Week (Travelin' Dan)
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
0143Snorlax.png
Hey Folks!
I know that Pokemon Sleep is a newly released game/app, but I want to discuss my experience with Pokemon Sleep.

= Story Time =
Today, my Mom encouraged me to try Pokemon Sleep, since she saw it was a newer release for android & ios. For the record, I have an android phone with the most up to date software. Anyway, I thought about downloading it and eventually decided to do so, since I wanted to be on the ground floor of the download, to be among the first to try it.

It didn't take too long to download from the Google Play Store. Once I started the app, however, I started to think that I would start having issues. The download of the actual game took a long time, and once I got it started, I was required to download an immediate update. This update put me at 1.01 (the current standard), but this also took me a long time to get settled. It was disappointing that the "game" was suggesting that my phone be plugged in to load. It burned through A LOT of my battery to get it to run. I also couldn't have any other apps running or even any other notifications available while it was being downloaded, which is a bit ridiculous. The final straw, however, was the fact that my phone legitimately crashed while I was dealing with it due to the download. It definitely should not have done that. As a result, I got rid of my account on the app and uninstalled. In addition, when I saw a review or 2 on the Google Play Store, they said that they couldn't get past the tutorial stage, which is dumb. Imagine doing all of the gameplay time only to be stuck on tutorial mode. We as a community have been waiting for 4 Years for this, and it may not even properly work on all phones? In the tech business, we would say, "Go back to the drawing board and try again".

In summary, here were my issues:
1. Download of actual game took a long time, and the immediate update took a long time to load.
2. The game took A LOT of my battery to run.
3. No other apps or notifications could run while Sleep was being used.
4. The app crashed my phone, even though I am up to current updates (I make sure to do so). This was even after I decreased the framerate from 60 fps to 30. This was my final straw.

Now, my issues may not be consistent across all phones, but I just wanted to let people know that, as it is rolled out, people that were really wanting to use it or were excited because it "is a Pokemon thing", might be very disappointed. Love the Franchise, hate the app.

== This is a Public Service Announcement ==

If you have any issues like mine, look at this:

So, first impressions from Sleep...downloading took a while, but not a deal breaker, hopefully it does not get updates all the inconvenient times.

It had trouble tracking the earlier and later parts and only registered about 3.5 hours when it was more like 4.5.

Agreed, the tutorial was kinda long, idk how "gameplay" will be "tomorrow", but it is not the best thing to take up so much time immediately after waking up, thankfully there is an option to delay the research results for later in the day.

Also agreed, takes a bit too much battery even with the phone on power, used to have 100% immediately after I rise, well not anymore, more like 85ish.

Also sleeping with the phone face-down on the matress needs some getting used to.

Finally, I think it crashing with other apps might be intentional or at least unintentionally positive. It does help me personally to know that when I actually commit to push that button and start registering the session, mindlessly picking up the phone again and scrolling around if I have trouble actually falling asleep is not the best option anymore.

Last edited:
To be honest, I sleep on the floor in the living room and not on a bed, so Pokemon Sleep is not something that would work for me. And I'm honestly not too keen on what some stuff I've heard like... recording your farts when you sleep, really? I just don't...vibe with that. Even if I slept on a bed.

To be honest, I sleep on the floor in the living room and not on a bed, so Pokemon Sleep is not something that would work for me. And I'm honestly not too keen on what some stuff I've heard like... recording your farts when you sleep, really? I just don't...vibe with that. Even if I slept on a bed.
It might still work if you are lying down on a thick blanket or something, hard flat floor doubt it.

Anyway, another issue I got once is the app crashing soon after the session started despite making it a point to shut down any other apps in the background to hopefully free up as much RAM as possible.

Why do you sleep on the floor in your living room?

I might have missed a couple of sesisons because I did not expect to fall asleep without realising it, and now my helpers are almost always low on energy :(

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom