• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Smash Discussion Thread (SEE FIRST POST!)

Re: Pokemon Smash Discussion Thread

But the early route Fennekin replacement would be Fletchling, wouldn't it?
You can have multiple alternatives. And Fletchling being the early route bird, it'll probably see a fair bit of use for its ability to fly alone.

[citation needed]

We have plenty of different fish, bird, dog and cat Pokemon, so what's the big deal?
Go ask the people who are complaining about Vivillon being "yet another butterfly Pokemon". Lions are a single species, not a group (genus or family).

Someone said that since there have already been lions, a simple lion "but with fire!" would be unoriginal and thus, it has to be a manticore to keep it fresh.
I don't think I was taking it that far... I do agree that Litleo will not play out the same as Shinx (if only due to typing), even if it also has a three-stage evolutionary line and is based only on ordinary lions.

KzVRdMo.jpg

The only proof of Shinx-line being part-lions rather than just lynx's is Luxray's mane, Luxio's name origin (straight from bulbapedia: Luxio is a combination of lux (Latin for light) and a corruption of leo (Latin for lion). Notably, the Karnak temple complex in Luxor, Egypt has a famous avenue of sphinxes) and Shinx's english name origin, which has nothing to do with the japanese name origin. Shinx is a combination of shock, shocking or shining + lynx or just purely Sphinx, but that doesn't really matter if Shinx's name comes from Sphinx, since Shinx's japanese name, Kolink, has nothing to do with Sphinx's or lions for that matter. Kolink is a combination of ko (that being child) and link, and link is written as リンク, which is similar how lynx is written in katakana (リンクス). Another alternative is that the link in the Kolink means blink or something. So no references to lions in it's japanese name. But now we come down to Luxray, which has yet again, no references to lions in it's name. The japanese name, Rentorar, actually has tora in the middle of it, which means tiger.

So out of all those evolutions, Luxray looks closest to a lion, Luxio's name possibly references lions and Shinx's english name origin possibly references Sphinx's. But still, they aren't pure lion, no way. First of all their proportions are much closer to lynx's, they are smaller than lions. So if anything, they are lynx-lion hybrids as said before, not pure lions, or for that matter pure lynx's.

Comparing Litleo to Entei, on the other hand, is a bit more accurate though, since Entei has a much more liony-wibe, but Entei is a legendary beast, so having a more attainable lion Pokemon couldn't hurt.

Litleo, whose english name origin already tells us that it's a little lion, and even it's japanese name (shishi = lion, ko = child) tells us it's a little lion. So we have a legendary lion (with dog-like qualities), a lynx-lion hybrid, and now a fire lion, that is either going to be a a pure lion or a manticore (doubtful, because manticore's USUALLY have wings and can fly, but not having a flying type to accompany those wings would be a biiiit silly but who knows). So even if they are all from the lion family, their backgrounds have differences, they aren't purely lion (I'm talking 'bout Entei and Shinx-line) and have something else to them, but Litleo might actually be that PURE LION, or then not. We'll have to see.

... Good answer.

Overall I still don't personally see much lynx influence when the lynx's two best-known features (tufted ears and short tail) are not present in any of Shinx's evolutions.

That's why it's a hybrid.

[citation needed

http://www.constellationsofwords.com/Constellations/Lynx.htm
http://bestiary.ca/beasts/beast135.htm

I'm sure there's more. Here's some choice quotes.

They were supposed to be able to see through objects, through walls and underground, Plutarch saying; "the lynx, who can penetrate through trees and rocks with its sharp sight."

The lynx is named after the luminescence of its eyes which have expanding irises and reflectors that enable them to hunt effectively at night when they are most active. The lynx is used to symbolize the sense of sight or vision and were credited with the particular ability to be able to see through material things as though these objects were translucent (eagles have another type of sight, they can see for miles but have poor close-up vision). Pliny's canonical compendium of natural history had called the lynx "the most clear sighted of all quadrupeds." An eye is an organ of vision that detects light. German luchs, lynx, resembles the word look? Old Norse gaupa, lynx', resembles the word gape (to stare wonderingly or stupidly)?

Some say that the lynx has such keen vision that it can see through walls.

Constellation called lynx... Luxray has a star on its tail... And guess who can see through objects like some myths say lynxes can? Oh, that's right, Luxray.

Last edited:

Wow, nice!

Though I wonder about Litleo's evolution, people have been placing their bets on either a manticore or just a fire lion. Litleo's japanese name is Shishiko, and if you google shishi, and search for the wikipedia article, you'll notice that shishi refers to a Chinese guardian lion or Imperial guardian lion. And another thing that is interesting that these '' guardian lions '' are actually more like lion-dog hybrids, and we already have an Entei who is basically just that, a lion dog. But this is all just speculation, but I'm anticipating for a waaaavy mane and a chinese guardian lion inspired evolution!

And Arcanine also originates from guardian-lion-dogs.

Oh crud, you're right! Though I wouldn't mind another one, chinese lion-dog guardian vs japanese lion-dog guardian, it could create an interesting rivalry as well.

When is the Next Set O Info Coming to us does anyone know at all.

I foresee Litleo fitting into a similar niche as Shinx though, as just an early pokemon that isn't the generic normal, flying, and bug types. I think a manticore final evolution seems a bit too complex for an early route pokemon. If it ends up being a pseudo legendary or even a Kibago equivalent, a manticore would work, but if it's an early route alternative for people who didn't pick Fennekin, a lion with flames is ok in my book.
Everyone's expecting a Manticore purely because it's obvious. I think a Fire/Fairy Manticore would be pretty goddamn wicked, or Fire/Dragon. Maybe Litleo evolves at like lv20 and then Litleo's evo evolves at lv60 or something, just to make it not extremely OP.

KzVRdMo.jpg

The only proof of Shinx-line being part-lions rather than just lynx's is Luxray's mane, Luxio's name origin (straight from bulbapedia: Luxio is a combination of lux (Latin for light) and a corruption of leo (Latin for lion). Notably, the Karnak temple complex in Luxor, Egypt has a famous avenue of sphinxes) and Shinx's english name origin, which has nothing to do with the japanese name origin. Shinx is a combination of shock, shocking or shining + lynx or just purely Sphinx, but that doesn't really matter if Shinx's name comes from Sphinx, since Shinx's japanese name, Kolink, has nothing to do with Sphinx's or lions for that matter. Kolink is a combination of ko (that being child) and link, and link is written as リンク, which is similar how lynx is written in katakana (リンクス). Another alternative is that the link in the Kolink means blink or something. So no references to lions in it's japanese name. But now we come down to Luxray, which has yet again, no references to lions in it's name. The japanese name, Rentorar, actually has tora in the middle of it, which means tiger.

So out of all those evolutions, Luxray looks closest to a lion, Luxio's name possibly references lions and Shinx's english name origin possibly references Sphinx's. But still, they aren't pure lion, no way. First of all their proportions are much closer to lynx's, they are smaller than lions. So if anything, they are lynx-lion hybrids as said before, not pure lions, or for that matter pure lynx's.

Comparing Litleo to Entei, on the other hand, is a bit more accurate though, since Entei has a much more liony-wibe, but Entei is a legendary beast, so having a more attainable lion Pokemon couldn't hurt.

Litleo, whose english name origin already tells us that it's a little lion, and even it's japanese name (shishi = lion, ko = child) tells us it's a little lion. So we have a legendary lion (with dog-like qualities), a lynx-lion hybrid, and now a fire lion, that is either going to be a a pure lion or a manticore (doubtful, because manticore's USUALLY have wings and can fly, but not having a flying type to accompany those wings would be a biiiit silly but who knows). So even if they are all from the lion family, their backgrounds have differences, they aren't purely lion (I'm talking 'bout Entei and Shinx-line) and have something else to them, but Litleo might actually be that PURE LION, or then not. We'll have to see.

Thank you for posting this. I never saw the Shinx family as pure lions, and I was very happy that we finally got a true lion, and a fire type at that. Something about a flaming lion just seems to work in my mind.

Because of his simple design and strange typing, I really wouldn't be surprised with any kind of lion-based evolution Game Freak comes up with.

I think a Fire/Fairy Manticore would be pretty goddamn wicked, or Fire/Dragon. Maybe Litleo evolves at like lv20 and then Litleo's evo evolves at lv60 or something, just to make it not extremely OP.
Maybe we got our newest pseudolegendary right here.

I think a Fire/Fairy Manticore would be pretty goddamn wicked, or Fire/Dragon. Maybe Litleo evolves at like lv20 and then Litleo's evo evolves at lv60 or something, just to make it not extremely OP.
Maybe we got our newest pseudolegendary right here.
Maybe! It'd be interesting if the psuedo's basic was caught early on and evolved at a high enough level to still be the psuedo.

Gen V had enough pokemon that would have been fun to use were it not for the fact that they evolved way too late in the game. VI needs to do away with that as much as possible.

Nope. They just revealed Viola and showed the player running on the web in her gym and then they revealed Alexa. Next week should be more interesting.

Gen V had enough pokemon that would have been fun to use were it not for the fact that they evolved way too late in the game. VI needs to do away with that as much as possible.

Yeah, totally agree. You'll notice that in BW2 they changed the evolution level of a bunch of those pokemon to make them evolve a little earlier (though still rather late...at least I think they did). I think that was experimental for them.

Seeing as how the next corocoro is a month away, I hope we get to see that new orotto pokemon on smash before then, probably in the new xy trailer, though that's probably unlikely. Smash doesn't really get a lot of the 'reveals' until they've already been revealed by some other source, like coro coro or nintendo direct.

Yeah, totally agree. You'll notice that in BW2 they changed the evolution level of a bunch of those pokemon to make them evolve a little earlier (though still rather late...at least I think they did). I think that was experimental for them.

Seeing as how the next corocoro is a month away, I hope we get to see that new orotto pokemon on smash before then, probably in the new xy trailer, though that's probably unlikely. Smash doesn't really get a lot of the 'reveals' until they've already been revealed by some other source, like coro coro or nintendo direct.

They didn't change any evolution levels.

You'll notice that in BW2 they changed the evolution level of a bunch of those pokemon to make them evolve a little earlier (though still rather late...at least I think they did).
They did change the rate at which some species learn moves, but not evolutionary conditions.

They've never changed evolution levels, even during the switch to RS.

I kind of hope they do, though, I can't imagine it messing anything up as long as they move around movesets and such.

All they did was give you a Wargle/Mandibuzz at level 25 instead of making you wait almost 30 levels more than that with their unevolved form, which I think shows they're well aware of the fact they may have messed up a bit on that account. Whether it's enough for them to retcon levels, I don't know, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed. A lot of pokemon from that gen could easily have their evolution levels dropped by about 10. A lot of pokemon evolve mid to late 30s, that are pokemon that wouldn't break the game if able to evolve mid 20s.

Back
Top Bottom