• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review GOTCHA!

I liked how the music video implies that Hop's canonical Starter is Grookey, the MC has Scorbunny, and Leon raised Sobble; as someone who felt these Starters could all apply to Hop or the MC, I like the placements GF chose (being a Scorbunny fan myself).

Overall, this video was a delightful blend of generations upon generations of the franchise's characters. I'll have to rewatch it with slowed frames to appreciate each still as there is so much content in the span of a second! And those transitions, my goodness.

I love how well they matched the tone of all characters featured in the animation, despite everything being so quick. Like you see the Alola cast goofing around but then everything featuring the Gen 5 characters has this slightly gloomy, more reflective feel to it.

Also, I get how they made a reference to the "four boys walking on a railroad" line from Gen 1, but I never expected them to actually redraw a specific shot from Stand By Me instead of doing something more generic.
SPOILER]

By the way, I love how in recent years with Generations, Pokémon Masters, the Kotobukiya figures and whatnot, they've gradually come to realize the Trainers are about as much of an appeal to the fans as the Pokémon themselves.

I loved the video, the animation, song, and cameos are amazing and incredibly inspiring! There are some suggestions here like having Looker come after the evil team leaders cast their shadows and having the other battle facilities on the billboards near the end, but I'm willing to forgive those for the other amazing things. Aside from that, I spent 30 minutes yesterday trying to identify all the characters in the MV but then today noticed the Bulbapedia article (congrats and thanks to whoever listed all the characters, I didn't know the Battle Chatelaines and didn't do the Pokemon either) and felt like "wow, I wasted my time". I did notice, however, that in Bede's shot you can see Rose and Oleana (Rose's feet on top right, Oleana's back with a phone in bottom left), so I added them to the page. Is that alright?

Considering this focuses on the games rather than the anime, its interesting they didn't include Bill, who is arguably on the same level as importance as the professors because without Bill, you couldn't catch more than six Pokemon because you wouldn't be able to store them.
Looker being absent is also interesting.
Why only Kukui, but not Burnet? Makes no sense considering they are married and both are professors.
Would have loved to see Youngster Joey with his top percentage Rattata as well as a recurring character throughout the vid.
I also doubt we can deduce canonical teams from this, considering that before this, Blue has always been shown with either Charizard or Blastoise as his canonical starter, while Red has been shown with Venusaur in the Manga and the Lets Go games, whereas Blue had a Charizard in the Manga and the Lets Go games.
And in the games, Leon with Inteleon on his team is the hardest to defeat, while the Leon with Cinderace is the easiest.

I also doubt we can deduce canonical teams from this, considering that before this, Blue has always been shown with either Charizard or Blastoise as his canonical starter, while Red has been shown with Venusaur in the Manga and the Lets Go games, whereas Blue had a Charizard in the Manga and the Lets Go games.
To drive this point home even further, this video actually shows Blue's Champion team with a Venusaur as his starter, and that's a first for this franchise.

So, who was those 2 protagonist of the MV? I though that was Koharu at first — with just some touch of the designer changing her hair color —, but seems that people here don't agree with this. If it's not Koharu and Satoshi, who might be those two?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom