• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stadium Series Revival Possibility

Oh believe me, transferring Pokémon makes it about 10 times easier in Stadium 1 and 30 times easier in Stadium 2, without exaggeration.
Not if you were me, where I literally sucked at raising Pokemon as a kid. The rental Pokemon were literally better than mine.

But yeah I get what you mean. It's just I'm firmly in the camp where it is entirely possible to beat the game using only rentals and it provides a good challenge. Plus rentals made the game more accessible for a lot of people and I think that gets downplayed way too often.

Oh yeah, you're also forgetting about the Challenge Cup that forced you to use randomized rentals so there was never getting out of using them.

Not if you were me, where I literally sucked at raising Pokemon as a kid. The rental Pokemon were literally better than mine.

But yeah I get what you mean. It's just I'm firmly in the camp where it is entirely possible to beat the game using only rentals and it provides a good challenge. Plus rentals made the game more accessible for a lot of people and I think that gets downplayed way too often.

Oh yeah, you're also forgetting about the Challenge Cup that forced you to use randomized rentals so there was never getting out of using them.

I also used rentals at first as it took me quite some time to understand Pokémon's hidden complexities since I was a child back then (Stadium 1 only). With rentals in Stadium 1, I got very far, all the way to winning Pika Cup R2, Petit Cup R2, Poké Cup Ultra Ball R2 and Prime Cup Ultra Ball R2. With them, I could sadly never conquer Poké Cup & Prime Cup Master Ball R2 as well as R2's Elite Four.

R2's most evil trainers: Pika Cup's Hiker and Fisherman, Petit Cup's Lad, Poké Cup Master Ball's Old Man, Tamer and Psychic, Prime Cup Master Ball's Birdkeeper and male Cooltrainer, Sabrina and Agatha. R1 on the whole was very easy.

Last edited:
You know, I don't think we necessarily need a revival of Stadium-like games. But talking about this does make me wish they'd re-release the original two.

Heck, maybe it would even be possible if Home is able to communicate with the 3DS VC releases of RBY and GSC. But I'm just dreaming now.

Home supports transfers from the VC games via Bank, but I believe that Bank automatically recalculates their stats.

Nah, Sword and Shield is on the Switch. The main series has been 3D since X and Y. What they need is to bring back the National Dex in an update to Sword and Shield.

I wouldn't mind a Pokemon Stadium series revival, but it would be duplicative with the inevitable multiplayer battling facility / functionality that will be in SwSh.
Except the fact that a hypothetical new Stadium game will allow players to battle with the full Pokedex at their disposal, something that Sword & Shield won't have.

Is there a site in which I can find the stats and movesets of rentals in the Japanese version of Pokémon Stadium 1 (= Pocket Monsters Stadium 2)? Neither in Bulbapedia nor in Serebii could I find data on that...

Is there a site in which I can find the stats and movesets of rentals in the Japanese version of Pokémon Stadium 1 (= Pocket Monsters Stadium 2)? Neither in Bulbapedia nor in Serebii could I find data on that...
What makes you think that it's different in the Japanese version? You don't seem to be asking about Pocket Monsters Stadium 1, so... If you are, then no clue.

What makes you think that it's different in the Japanese version? You don't seem to be asking about Pocket Monsters Stadium 1, so... If you are, then no clue.

Werster, perhaps the most famous speedrunner, was the first to speedrun Pocket Monsters Stadium 2 (= Pokémon Stadium 1) and the rentals have way different movesets. You can read Werster's pastebin about it here. Also, I'll provide you with the video. For instance, in the Japanese version, rental Snorlax in Gym Leader Castle knows Selfdestruct. I still don't understand how I can't find those movesets despite the game being 20 years old.

I haven't yet, and I don't think he'll answer unless I ask him the movesets of exclusively the Pokémon of each cup he's intending to add to the roster since he's planning on speedrunning that whole game somewhere in the future according to the pastebin (I hope in the near future…). I doubt he'll answer such a question too since he may change up the team in cup tournaments whereby you need to conquer all four Pokéball trophies (Poké & Prime Cup) and the Japanese version counts a whopping six tournament cups and not four like in the US version. And lastly, Werster isn't really the type that answers questions. I'll think on formulating an appropriate question. Maybe others can help too. There's no chance he'll also share the stats; that would be too time-consuming for him and I doubt there's much difference between the games in that department.

Quite a shame there's no documentation about rentals' stats in the Japanese version...

Well, the relatively simple alternative is finding a Japanese copy of the game and just browsing rentals. If you don't intend to play the game, then the fact that most of the rentals have worse movesets is just interesting trivia.

Well, the relatively simple alternative is finding a Japanese copy of the game and just browsing rentals. If you don't intend to play the game, then the fact that most of the rentals have worse movesets is just interesting trivia.
Maybe I could check... Is there a page on Bulbapedia where I can compare the Japanese and English move names (since I can't read Japanese)?

Maybe I could check... Is there a page on Bulbapedia where I can compare the Japanese and English move names (since I can't read Japanese)?
Yes, but it's only useful if you're good at typing kana. I've found it more useful to look at the Generation I learnsets and rely on educated guesses, but the best solution is probably just using rentals in battle.

I can confirm that there are many moveset changes. It seems to me that most Pokemon have at least one different move, but the stats are identical.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom