• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stadium Series Revival Possibility

Poke Dragon

Looking for a way to be whole again.
Reaction score
With the bad news about Game Freak not supporting the idea of being able to have every single Pokemon in existence in a single game, this made me think. What game will allow the possibility of a Cobalion battling against Zacien? Then the possibility of a Pokemon Stadium revival might not seem ridiculous or unpractical anymore. The original purpose of the Stadium series is for Pokemon to battle in a 3D space, but that purpose was lost thanks to Pokemon main series games going 3D themselves, however, it can be brought back with a new purpose, to allow any Pokemon battle against any other Pokemon and also allowing Mega Evolutions, Z-Moves, and Dynamax to exist in the same game.

It's a decent idea, even if it's the result of greed. It still remains to be seen if the "deluxe" versions (or DLC expansions if they prefer that route) don't serve the purpose of containing all Pokemon.

It really depends on how this is executed and who exactly the developers are, and this is coming from someone who grew up during the Colo days.

Would it be compatible with Pokemon Home? If so, sure! I'm all for it. If not, and it's just a spin-off with every single Pokemon in it that you can use, well.... not gonna lie, that seems like a massive cop-out move. Even Stadium 2 iirc allowed you to use your own Pokemon for battles, so at the very least Game Freak (or whoever the hypothetical developers of these games would be) could allow us to do just that,

Personally, I'd rather Colosseum/XD type of game, but that's just me.

They won't make a new Colosseum game out of fear that the Dexit complaints are just a loud online minority, and that the vast majority of people wouldn't buy such a game.

The only way they could change their mind, is if SwSh actually flops, which is highly unlikely tbh.

Last edited:
Gamefreak HQ when they thought of this idea:

giphy.gif

Tbh though, I wouldn't buy something like this. I mean most fans probably would because they'll buy anything that Gamefreak makes even if it's practically extortion on Gamefreak's part, but I'd find it to be a poor substitute.

The only way they could change their mind, is of SwSh actually flops, which is highly unlikely tbh.

Despite complaints, my expectation is that SwSh will sell at least as much as SM. The only things I foresee that would stall SwSh from selling as well are the total number of users who own a Switch, and the cost of the games.

I wouldn't mind a Pokemon Stadium series revival, but it would be duplicative with the inevitable multiplayer battling facility / functionality that will be in SwSh.

wouldn't mind a Pokemon Stadium series revival, but it would be duplicative with the inevitable multiplayer battling facility / functionality that will be in SwSh.
That’s why they should have it released towards the end of a generation so that the main games have their chance to shine first. Maybe release it during a gap year.

That’s why they should have it released towards the end of a generation so that the main games have their chance to shine first. Maybe release it during a gap year.

Do you mean "why they should" released towards the end of a generation? The last Pokemon Stadium game variant was Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, and that was released like 15 years ago. There hasn't been any other releases that I'm aware of.

Do you mean "why they should" released towards the end of a generation? The last Pokemon Stadium game variant was Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, and that was released like 15 years ago. There hasn't been any other releases that I'm aware of.
There's Pokemon Battle Revolution

Won't happen. The whole point of this is because of development time and "balance", and if they couldn't bother to do that in the main game, they won't in Stadium either.

Won't happen. The whole point of this is because of development time and "balance", and if they couldn't bother to do that in the main game, they won't in Stadium either.
That’s the excuse for the main series titles developed by Game Freak, but the spin-offs aren’t typically developed by them. It’s one thing to say that other developers might not pick up a Stadium game, but I don’t think that TPCi would pass up the opportunity should the backlash have significant results.

Besides, it was mentioned that they’re considering Home to have connectivity with spin-off games. Why not make Stadium one of them?

This is my nostalgia talking, but I'd personally love a Stadium revival. I played a lot of Stadium 2 as a kid. I only had rentals to use since I never had a transfer pack, but in many ways I kind of preferred using rentals anyway because they were more challenging.

I have doubts that Game Freak or anyone else would want to make a new Stadium game though. But I'd like it if they did, and if it was done right.

That’s the excuse for the main series titles developed by Game Freak, but the spin-offs aren’t typically developed by them. It’s one thing to say that other developers might not pick up a Stadium game, but I don’t think that TPCi would pass up the opportunity should the backlash have significant results.

Besides, it was mentioned that they’re considering Home to have connectivity with spin-off games. Why not make Stadium one of them?

TPCi doesn't want the spinoffs to outsell the main games, they're supposed to be the main cash cow. Stadium could easily do that if it's used to fix the National Dex issue. If the backlash has that much of an impact on sales that they need to bring in another developer to fix this, they'd have that other developer help Game Freak with the main games instead.

I'd like another stadium game. But only if there's more minigames. Seriously my brother, cousin, and I basically never touched the battle aspect and just focused on the minigames when whe'd play Stadium 1 together.

Though if it would simply be a battle-only stadium game, I'd much prefer a new Pokemon Snap or a new game in the same vein as Hey You Pikachu (only without annoying voice command stuff...) like the exploration, item collecting, and pet-like nature of Hey You Pikachu. But better than Pokemon Channel was. How they managed to make a game for Gamecube miles worse than its N64 spiritual predecessor will always blow my mind.

Heck Gamefreak could even do a duo version thing with it. Like "My Pal Pikachu" or "My Pal Eevee" or something.

It is most certainly possible. I got very far into the round 1 portion.

Don't doubt rentals just because they're harder to use. I love them.
Well, I managed to beat Gym Leader castle and most of the cups using only rentals, so it's possible to beat it that way. GuiasNintendo (a Spanish walkthrough site) even has teams that you can use to beat the game. The bad thing is that for the latter cups (and possibly R2) you will need a little luck on your side.

I had (still do) the official Nintendo Power guide for Stadium 2, which gave rental suggestions and also gave an in-depth look at each trainer's team, so it was possible to predict and plan ahead.

I mean, I personally don't think that using your own Pokemon would have made the game that much easier because there was still the unpredictability of it. I just don't think rentals should be quickly dismissed, especially when they made the games more accessible to everyone.

I mean, I personally don't think that using your own Pokemon would have made the game that much easier because there was still the unpredictability of it.

Oh believe me, transferring Pokémon makes it about 10 times easier in Stadium 1 and 30 times easier in Stadium 2, without exaggeration.

Advantages of transferring Pokémon over to Stadium 1:

• Better movepool
  • Better stats (although most rentals have perfect IVs)
  • You can also bring over higher-leveled Pokémon like Lv. 55 Pokémon in Poké Cup as the total team level may not exceed Lv. 155. Rentals are default at Lv. 50 in that tournament and you can't raise the level and the same goes for Pika Cup and Petit Cup. That really makes a huge difference.
Advantages of transferring Pokémon over to Stadium 2:

• Way better movepool (most rentals' movepool is downright horrible to even unusable in Stadium 2 for some reason)
  • Way better stats (rentals' stats aren't as good as in Stadium 1).
  • Higher-leveled Pokémon like in Stadium 1.
  • Stadium 2 only provides berries as held items (Miracleberry, Lum Berry's predecessor, not included). Items like Focus Band and Brightpowder can be held in Stadium 2 only if you make a Pokémon in GSC hold it and transfer to Stadium 2
Of course catching/breeding Pokémon with high IVs, DV-training them, collecting TMs by resetting each time as they couldn't be permanently used until BW etc. is ery time-consuming. And that's exactly what Dodrio Tower is for.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom