• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The next games should definitely be Black 3/White 3. It's time for Team Plasma to rise again.

If there's one sequel, one remake, and one third game for Nintendo Switch, what would you want
For me:
Pokemon Stars (Third game to Sun and Moon)
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Sequel
I don't know about a remake
Can the Games be 3Ds too?

If the next games are released in 2017, then I could see possibly both a 3DS and Switch release. But if the games are released in 2018, then I see it being Switch-only.

I am more hoping for 2018.

I worked at GameStop over this past holiday season. The release of Sun and Moon caused the store I worked at to be sold out of both the games and 3DS/2DS systems several times.

With that kind of demand, I'm not sure it's wise to release something on Switch right now when the console has high demand and short supply. If they do release a game on the Switch, I'd imagine they would wait until the console has enough base users and enough consoles to meet most of the supply shortages.

With that kind of demand, I'm not sure it's wise to release something on Switch right now when the console has high demand and short supply. If they do release a game on the Switch, I'd imagine they would wait until the console has enough base users and enough consoles to meet most of the supply shortages.

The game will release in the second half of 2017, so I think that much time'd be enough to overcome the demand, as they're producing around 20million (I Guess. It was somewhere between 16-20, I forgot) consoles this year, so I don't think there would be any shortages.

I think that the game could possibly release in the second half of 2018. By that time, there will be more enough Switch owners.

Can the Games be 3Ds too?
I don't know if they do a poekmon game for 3ds, since sun and moon reached it's limit on 3ds, If they do stars on 3ds and switch it'll be good, but I might buy me Switch for Pokemon
If the next games are released in 2017, then I could see possibly both a 3DS and Switch release. But if the games are released in 2018, then I see it being Switch-only.

I am more hoping for 2018.
I agree, I think 3ds might be discontinued in 2018, it'll be good to have one last 3ds game for pokemon before moving to Switch

Someone else came up with another theory for Pokemon Stars

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H4EUz49vDc

They stated that Pokemon Stars is a sequel from the events of Sun and Moon, This is just a theory, what do you think?

Oh and another theory video of the next pokemon story for pokemon stars

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKyYJkgCbRo&feature=youtu.be

What do you think of this one?

Last edited:
Here's a Reddit User's comment on Pokemon for the Switch, and why he doesn't want it to happen. I agree on all of these points.

• Gamefreak have always released on the biggest market share, BW2 came out on the DS a year and a half after the 3DS was released, I admit that may have been for generation reasons but X and Y were released when the 3DS was 2 and half years old.

• The switch is not Nintendo's new handheld, it's their new home console, they've made the clear and expect the 3DS to continue for some time more (hence the 2014 update), I think we may soon start to see "new" 3DS exclusives.

• Nintendo don't decide the console as far as I know, The Pokemon Company/Gamefreak do.

• In the past they've been fundementally against releasing main series for home consoles because of the games multiplayer trading mechanics.

• The switch is too expensive for the younger (and significant proportion of the) Pokemon demographic, Pokemon/Nintendo want every child to have a console and for them to buy a game each. The series is set up to encourage that. Switch will be likely 1 per household.

• Until a week or so ago the sales figures for the new 3DS and the Switch were roughly the same, the new 3DS is now over 2 years old. Switch sales have since surged but the "old" handheld is far from dead.

Here's a Reddit User's comment on Pokemon for the Switch, and why he doesn't want it to happen. I agree on all of these points.

• Gamefreak have always released on the biggest market share, BW2 came out on the DS a year and a half after the 3DS was released, I admit that may have been for generation reasons but X and Y were released when the 3DS was 2 and half years old.

• The switch is not Nintendo's new handheld, it's their new home console, they've made the clear and expect the 3DS to continue for some time more (hence the 2014 update), I think we may soon start to see "new" 3DS exclusives.

• Nintendo don't decide the console as far as I know, The Pokemon Company/Gamefreak do.

• In the past they've been fundementally against releasing main series for home consoles because of the games multiplayer trading mechanics.

• The switch is too expensive for the younger (and significant proportion of the) Pokemon demographic, Pokemon/Nintendo want every child to have a console and for them to buy a game each. The series is set up to encourage that. Switch will be likely 1 per household.

• Until a week or so ago the sales figures for the new 3DS and the Switch were roughly the same, the new 3DS is now over 2 years old. Switch sales have since surged but the "old" handheld is far from dead.

The New 3DS isn't a separate handheld. It's like the DSi was to the DS.

If they release Stars or whatever is next in Autumn 2018, then they'll have a big market share. By that time, there can be a price reduction or even bundles available at reasonable prices.

Just because they always did so in the past, doesn't mean they will always do so in the present and future. This is such a poor argument.

Just because they see at as a home console does not make it one. It is very clearly portable like a handheld and has even a handheld mode.

The switch is too expensive for the younger (and significant proportion of the) Pokemon demographic, Pokemon/Nintendo want every child to have a console and for them to buy a game each. The series is set up to encourage that. Switch will be likely 1 per household.
Few kids buy their own home consoles-it's usually a family that buys it, since everyone will use it. (The Switch has only been out about a month, too-plenty of products have received price cuts a bit after launch)

And comparing handhelds for each child VS one home console (in a family of three kids, using the starting price unless it was dropped within a year):
  • Three 3DSs would be 510$ to a WiiU's 300$.
  • Three DSs would be 390$ to a Wii's 250$
  • Three GBA SPs would be 300$ to a Gamecube's 100$
If Nintendo just put games on one home console, it'd be much cheaper for any family with more than two kids.

This argument is, frankly, a little self-contradictory. You're arguing both that it's too expensive for fans to move over to a Switch, and that Nintendo wants to keep making money by encouraging multiple handheld consoles. One of these things has to be false.

Pokemon/Nintendo want every child to have a console and for them to buy a game each.
Doesn't have to be the case-I've shared consoles with my siblings, and they can change a lot of mechanics.
The series is set up to encourage that.
Multiple games, yes, multiple consoles, no. You can still access the GTS and make a trade for yourself with just one console, so that's Dex and trade evos solved.

Few kids buy their own home consoles-it's usually a family that buys it, since everyone will use it. (The Switch has only been out about a month, too-plenty of products have received price cuts a bit after launch)

And comparing handhelds for each child VS one home console (in a family of three kids, using the starting price unless it was dropped within a year):
  • Three 3DSs would be 510$ to a WiiU's 300$.
  • Three DSs would be 390$ to a Wii's 250$
  • Three GBA SPs would be 300$ to a Gamecube's 100$
If Nintendo just put games on one home console, it'd be much cheaper for any family with more than two kids.

This argument is, frankly, a little self-contradictory. You're arguing both that it's too expensive for fans to move over to a Switch, and that Nintendo wants to keep making money by encouraging multiple handheld consoles. One of these things has to be false.

Doesn't have to be the case-I've shared consoles with my siblings, and they can change a lot of mechanics.

Multiple games, yes, multiple consoles, no. You can still access the GTS and make a trade for yourself with just one console, so that's Dex and trade evos solved.

You're missing the point. The point is for those kids to be able to battle and trade with each other, which is impossible to do on one home console, but is easily achieved by having affordable handheld consoles. Like you said, three 3DS's is $510, vs. three Wii U's $900, three DS's is $390 vs. three Wii's are $750. The only one that's arguable is the GameCube which is still $300 and carries zero portability. In a family of three kids, the whole point of getting Pokemon games would be for them to entertain each other, which is what affordable handhelds has been accomplishing for multi-children families for 20+ years.

If Nintendo just put games on one home console, it'd be much cheaper for any family with more than two kids, and those kids would have a lot of fun not being able to interact with each other through their Pokemon games. :rolleyes:

Fixed it for ya.

I can't speak out of experience since I'm an only child, but I have friends who can, being able to trade and battle with your siblings in the GBA games was an amazing experience, and I had a few cousins who played and had their own GBA's so whenever we got together, we could do the same.

The Switch has always been advertised as a HYBRID console by Nintendo. Every advertisement they had ever shown, showcases the handheld aspect of Nintendo Switch. This 'Nintendo says it is a home console' argument is ridiculous. It is just as much handheld as it is home console and that is literally the entire point of it.

Nintendo is just as much as part of the Pokémon Company as Gamefreak. As Nintendo is the one that actually makes the consoles, They have atleast some sort of control over what console Pokémon is released on.

In the past, Nintendo home consoles couldn't connect to the internet. Now it can. Battling and trading is very easily achieved on a home console if done online. And since I have established the Nintendo Switch is in fact just as much handheld, it is completely possible to battle and trade locally as well as online. There is no argument against this. This is fact.

CAN WE PLEASE AGREE THAT SAYING THAT "GF HAS NOT DONE IT BEFORE IS N-O-T a good argument??!!
/freak

They've ALWAYS showcased the handheld aspect in their trailers. It is advertised as a H-Y-B-R-I-D console. We've already had wars on the subject.

Nintendo owns atleast 33% of TPCi (The Pokemon company) so, naturally, they have an influence on it's proceedings.
See the bottom of the post, where I've posted Reddit users' views. Also, Switch encourages multiplayer, so it is in fact fitting into GF's philosophy even better than the 3DS.

3DS launched at $250, so it isn't the world of a difference.
See down.

You very conveniently did not mention the counterpoint she provided in the same Reddit comment.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/63nyp8/comment/dfvotot
This is the comment, for everyone's information.
From the replies:

"Why? Users can trade online using friend codes." (This addresses point no. 4)

"The 3DS stuff is PR speak. Pokemon sold 15 mill, FE is getting a remake, and they have Ever Oasis and a few other games coming. Once that stops, the 3DS is done. If the 3DS failed as hard as the Wii U right about now we'd be hearing the same thing, but it's not so they're gonna milk it till at most the very beginning of 2018. They unified their development teams for a reason. There's no reason to keep the 3DS that much more alive when you can just put it all on the switch and reap better numbers. And the Switch isn't that much more expensive. The 3DS launched at $250 after all. Wii U got a price drop like the 3DS did very early on, and I expect the Switch to get one as well."(this addresses the last point.)

This is the sole reason why I recently avoided posting here- the same argument repeated over and over. But I just couldn't resist replying to nonsensical posts.

EDIT: @RileyXY1 The user themselves posted that they may be biased at the end of the comment, and you didn't add the part.
The Reddit User said:
Maybe I'm being biased/naive/optimistic because I really don't want a Switch and I'll be gutted if the next Gen is on the console...

CAN WE PLEASE AGREE THAT SAYING THAT "GF HAS NOT DONE IT BEFORE IS N-O-T a good argument??!!
/freak

They've ALWAYS showcased the handheld aspect in their trailers. It is advertised as a H-Y-B-R-I-D console. We've already had wars on the subject.

Nintendo owns atleast 33% of TPCi (The Pokemon company) so, naturally, they have an influence on it's proceedings.

See the bottom of the post, where I've posted Reddit users' views. Also, Switch encourages multiplayer, so it is in fact fitting into GF's philosophy even better than the 3DS.

3DS launched at $250, so it isn't the world of a difference.

See down.

You very conveniently did not mention the counterpoint she provided in the same Reddit comment.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/63nyp8/comment/dfvotot
This is the comment, for everyone's information.
From the replies:

"Why? Users can trade online using friend codes." (This addresses point no. 4)

"The 3DS stuff is PR speak. Pokemon sold 15 mill, FE is getting a remake, and they have Ever Oasis and a few other games coming. Once that stops, the 3DS is done. If the 3DS failed as hard as the Wii U right about now we'd be hearing the same thing, but it's not so they're gonna milk it till at most the very beginning of 2018. They unified their development teams for a reason. There's no reason to keep the 3DS that much more alive when you can just put it all on the switch and reap better numbers. And the Switch isn't that much more expensive. The 3DS launched at $250 after all. Wii U got a price drop like the 3DS did very early on, and I expect the Switch to get one as well."(this addresses the last point.)

This is the sole reason why I recently avoided posting here- the same argument repeated over and over. But I just couldn't resist replying to nonsensical posts.

EDIT: @RileyXY1 The user themselves posted that they may be biased at the end of the comment, and you didn't add the part.

How long did it take the 3DS to get a price drop?
I personally could care less about the TV accessories. Make them optional.

How long did it take the 3DS to get a price drop?

Four months, though the 3DS is quite a different story; 250 bucks is quite a high price for a handheld, while 300 is pretty normal for a console. So I don't see the Switch's price dropping very soon, especially since it seems to sell really well right now.

Like you said, three 3DS's is $510, vs. three Wii U's $900, three DS's is $390 vs. three Wii's are $750. The only one that's arguable is the GameCube which is still $300 and carries zero portability. I
Except you only need one console and three controllers to play multiplayer on a home console. Not an accurate comparison.
The point is for those kids to be able to battle and trade with each other, which is impossible to do on one home console,
You might want to reread my post, I already stated that you only need one console to trade through the GTS.
While it's true that there's no immediately apparent way one could battle one a Switch, it's certainly not impossible to implement. We've recently had QR codes for whole Pokemon teams-someone could easily copy their team from one game to another.
In a family of three kids, the whole point of getting Pokemon games would be for them to entertain each other, which is what affordable handhelds has been accomplishing for multi-children families for 20+ years.
Right, I forgot that home consoles only support one-player play. Silly me!
Fixed it for ya.
Like I said before, I actually already pointed out how you can still trade through one console, which is interacting between games. A+ reading comprehension! :rolleyes:
I can't speak out of experience since I'm an only child, but I have friends who can, being able to trade and battle with your siblings in the GBA games was an amazing experience, and I had a few cousins who played and had their own GBA's so whenever we got together, we could do the same.
And I have two brothers that I play Pokemon with. I'm not arguing against the inclusion of these features, I'm saying a move to the Switch doesn't need to remove them.

Last edited:
/freak

I've already responded to this point multiple times dude so... why with the bold the text?

People happening not to do things and having specific histories are two different things.

/freak

No. Because while it is not a solid argument by itself, it is still a very good point.

For example, Game Freak has not just suddenly completely abandoned Nintendo consoles entirely before, even when they were not fond of choices Nintendo made. I think we can all agree this is a good reason to consider GF may decide to develop for the Switch. In fact, it's pretty much half of the basis of the argument in favor of GF developing for the Switch).

GF has also not abandoned Pokemon before just because they were not necessarily fond of the console options. This is the other half of the basis for the aforementioned argument.

Choosing to say it is not a good argument negates the majority of the support for Pokemon games on the Switch as having any validity.

All this talk about Pokemon being on the Switch sounds exactly like what 3DS talk sounded like after BW, calling it right now, Generation 8 WILL be on the Switch, but Generation 7 will finish on the 3DS, just like Gen 5 did on the DS and Gen 3 did on the GBA, despite both consoles receiving side games ahead of the debut main series games on those respective handhelds, which I'm assuming will be the case with the Switch too. Everyone talking about a 3DS/Switch hybrid game might not be far off, Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue did this with the GBA and DS, and like I said, this came out long before Diamond and Pearl hit the DS as the debut main series titles.

As far as Pokemon "reaching it's limit" with SM, I genuinely doubt that they can't make it better, there's always room for refinement and improvement, they can find a way to cut down on polygon counts and be more strategic with cutscenes and animations, plus, who's to say Sinnoh games don't ends up being less strenuous on the 3DS than the Alola games were? Alola in general was a very scenic and visually-intensive region. Sinnoh is less so in my opinion. If that's the route they're going to take, anyways, although the whole Lillie thing with her leaving at the end seems way too much like N flying off into the sunset at the end of BW1, maybe they'll go with Kanto/Alola sequels that are both sequels to Origins (basically the Megaverse FRLG) and SM.

I do think the Switch will take over as the handheld console as well as the home console, though. I see no reason for it not to, it's a very appealing console, just looking at them makes me want to buy one even though there's no games out for it that I like yet, I genuinely want to see the main series on it, but they've never done split-console main series generations, and as many have mentioned, they've almost always waited 2 years before debuting the main series onto a new console. I remember after BW everyone though we'd either get Grey on the DS or Hoenn remakes on the 3DS (which we DID receive on that exact platform, although many years after that speculation).

Back
Top Bottom