• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I mean, they shoehorned it into a completely different region

Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, and as I said, it fits the concept of Alola being a delicate environment. It has more relevance to Alola than the likes of Heatran and Cresselia have to their own native region.

didn't explain why it was there

Which I did say was dumb. I mean, it's not hard to figure out (probably there because of the Ultra Beasts; the dialogue where Sina and Dexio suspect that its presence suggests something is going to happen soon is positioned shortly before Lusamine uses Cosmog to open up all of those wormholes; just put two and two together), but I would have liked a follow-up comment when we meet them on Poni Island. That being said, such a follow-up comment would likely have been a mere line or two of dialogue. I'd feel a bit silly if I were to get too worked up over that.

left its connection to Xerneas and Yveltal unexplained

As if it needed to be explained. Everybody had already figured it out. It's the "Order" Pokémon, and is positioned between the Pokémon of Life and Death, whose auras it can reverse. Gee, I wonder what it's relationship to them could possibly be.

and gave it virtually no plot relevance whatsoever.

So it missed out on the unrivaled luxury of being involved in a Pokémon plot. Poor thing.

That definitely qualifies as half-assed, the whole situation just reeks of "we needed to do something with Zygarde without giving it proper focus".

If "proper focus" means spending a whole game just to show that XY&Z is more-or-less canonical in the games too, then I say thank god they skipped it, really.

Really though, it's Kalos that's half-assed more so than Zygarde. Not having any kind of followup whatsoever left it a barren region with virtually nothing to do, a half-baked storyline with tons of question marks and plotholes, and in general a lot of room for improvement that ultimately never happened. Alola doesn't really have that problem, there's a few areas that do look like they could be explored and a few loose ends in the plot, but nothing compared to the amount of things Kalos left open ended. There's a whole laundry list of things in Kalos, ranging from the region design to the Pokemon forms to the storyline that felt like they were building up to something more and as is the region just feels cut short.

You and I have had this conversation several times now. Before I commit to a further response, I have to ask, is it necessary? I think we both can predict how it will unfold.

You know, like a Z game.

Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, and as I said, it fits the concept of Alola being a delicate environment. It has more relevance to Alola than the likes of Heatran and Cresselia have to their own native region.

At least they have plot relevance unlike Zygarde.

Which I did say was dumb. I mean, it's not hard to figure out (probably there because of the Ultra Beasts; the dialogue where Sina and Dexio suspect that its presence suggests something is going to happen soon is positioned shortly before Lusamine uses Cosmog to open up all of those wormholes; just put two and two together), but I would have liked a follow-up comment when we meet them on Poni Island. That being said, such a follow-up comment would likely have been a mere line or two of dialogue. I'd feel a bit silly if I were to get too worked up over that.

And yet it does nothing about it, making its appearance largely pointless. It takes more than a few lines of dialogue to give characters any real purpose in the storyline, they need a prominent role in the storyline and cutscenes and for its actions to have an impact on the plot. Zygarde was robbed of this treatment.

As if it needed to be explained. Everybody had already figured it out. It's the "Order" Pokémon, and is positioned between the Pokémon of Life and Death, whose auras it can reverse. Gee, I wonder what it's relationship to them could possibly be.

There's always more to it than that with third mascots (except Suicune which is far from a typical third mascot). Emerald didn't just make Rayquaza the ruler of the skies, but a mediator between Groudon and Rayquaza, and then ORAS took it further with the Primals and expanded Rayquaza's role as a protector of humans. Platinum confirmed Giratina's relationship to antimatter, but went further with it by making it the inhabitant of a completely different dimension with a new form to go along with it. Kyurem was indeed a part of the Original Dragon as we all speculated, but it could fuse with one of the Dragons. A potential Zygarde game would've done more than just "Zygarde is the mediator between Xerneas and Yveltal, the end", maybe even more than the Cell forms.

Additionally, Xerneas and Yveltal needed more fleshing out as well and this would've been the perfect opportunity to show their true power beyond just being a glorified battery for the Ultimate Weapon. What do they do with these life/death powers? What connection do they have to the Kalos region and why are they so important to the lore?

If "proper focus" means spending a whole game just to show that XY&Z is more-or-less canonical in the games too, then I say thank god they skipped it, really.

Why should you have to go to a completely different medium just to find that out in the first place? Different people enjoy different forms of entertainment, and that's not really going to be enough to get people to try the other mediums, especially when said mediums have other issues turning people off that this tactic wouldn't fix.

You and I have had this conversation several times now. Before I commit to a further response, I have to ask, is it necessary? I think we both can predict how it will unfold.

You know, like a Z game.

How about more like an XY2 game? I don't think anyone wanting Z just wants the same game all over again, the fanbase has gotten sick of that. But more of a sequel-esque experience that adds new areas and makes larger changes instead of being largely a rehash of the first game is a lot more exciting and worthwhile. It boggles me why Game Freak hasn't realized this, you would think BW2 would have much more of an effect on Game Freak's design philosophy than it did.

@The_Doctor them needing a lot of man power to get it done by 2019 doesn't seem like a possibility to you? Or even them wanting to play it safe after the Wii U being delayland?

Nah, it's totally possible either way. We don't know enough about the inner workings of GF or how much they are capable of. Perhaps they can handle pushing out high quality games on Switch soon, maybe they can't. There's no reason to definitively believe one way or the other. While I thought a break year in 2017 is super unlikely, every passing day it becomes all the more possible.

Don't you think moving to Gen VIII is too soon, I mean Gen VII just started with Sun/Moon.

We'll probably see Gen VIII in 2018/2019.

...? Um, I mean. To your initial question, I would say no. A 2 year generation isn't totally impossible, however unlikely it sounds. Gen VIII could start in 2018, 2 years after SM, no problem probably. But who knows.

But my confusion is... you just said it's too soon for Gen VIII, but then you say Gen VIII is probably next year, which is exactly what I said. lol

Last edited:

View: https://twitter.com/yamamotoperoshi/status/864038882815336448

Movie stuff but probably relevant.
It says something like "Could this Marshadow be the key of the adventure?"
"During battle, parts of the body turns green"

I think they are focusing on promoting Marshadow right now.
It is also possible that we are getting some new info during the movie season (July), so even if we don't get any news in E3 doesn't mean that this year is over yet.

EDIT: According to Crystal, the description on the movie website feels like Marshadow has a new forme.

I', still not sure about Marshadow getting a new form. It already has a special Z move and I can't imagine them giving it a form change on top of that. I wanna say maybe the green coloring is it's "form change" rather than an actual change in it's general appearance. I could be wrong tho.

@lavandula, I don't think they'll wait till the movie release in japan to announce the next game. For the past years, they been announcing, and yes whatever the next movie promotes the games, but I don't think they'll wait till the movie release to get more info fro the game. Tbh I don't know why Nintendo are holding the announcement back. I know the next game will probably something from movie (20th anniversary "I Choose You"), maybe either Kanto/Johto Sequel/Reboot or Diamond/Pearl Remake/Sequel/Retcon (because of Piplup and Lucario), I don't think it relates to Alola, because the movie aren't promoting anything alola related right now, If the next movie relates to Alola (like Solgaleo, Lunaala, and Necromza), maybe we'll see Alola sequel in 2018. Something big is going down for the announcement and I don't know what it is. As for Marshadow, Maybe it does relate to Z-move (Since the dataminer leaked it before the game was release) or maybe we'll get to see a new form for Marshadow, it would be a waste if it's just the Z-moves. I still wondering what they'll do for Ho-oh and Necromza because of the TGC and the Necromza Corocoro, I did see a new Z-Crystal on top of the page.

On top of the Marshadow business, Junichi Masuda AND TPC retweeted a Japanese Switch commercial, which is the first time they've retweeted anything Switch related.

I', still not sure about Marshadow getting a new form. It already has a special Z move and I can't imagine them giving it a form change on top of that. I wanna say maybe the green coloring is it's "form change" rather than an actual change in it's general appearance. I could be wrong tho.
But if you look carefully, it's not only the color that was changed.
Marshadow's new image has a different eye shape and Z shaped eyebrows.

I think Z forms are going to be a thing.
Remember how the Riddler said that some things he saw were scrapped?
And remember how the Chinese leak said that "the logo diamonds are what that makes Greninja change forms."
And how the Japanese 2ch leak said that there are Z forms?

I think Z forms will be in the next games.

@PkmnTrainerV Tbh I don't know what we'll expecting because I expect the next game would Kanto/Johto relate because it's the retelling sorry, but when I saw Piplup and Lucario, I also assumed it'll be Sinnoh remake, and I did saw Cross uses his Incineroar and Lycanroc. If the movie would focus on Alola maybe involving Solgaleo, Lunaala and Necromza, then it'll maybe hint the next game would Alola, I don't know if Necromza will be in the movie because it's 20th anniversary I choose you, but I did seen the Corocoro page of Necromza with the Black Z-Crystal on top of the page, and I did see Ho-oh, Marshadow, and Necromza in TGC pokemon cards. @PkmnTrainerV I don't what we'll expecting, the next game will be related to the movie.

On top of the Marshadow business, Junichi Masuda AND TPC retweeted a Japanese Switch commercial, which is the first time they've retweeted anything Switch related.

But if you look carefully, it's not only the color that was changed.
Marshadow's new image has a different eye shape and Z shaped eyebrows.

I think Z forms are going to be a thing.
Remember how the Riddler said that some things he saw were scrapped?
And remember how the Chinese leak said that "the logo diamonds are what that makes Greninja change forms."
And how the Japanese 2ch leak said that there are Z forms?

I think Z forms will be in the next games.

As far as Marshadow goes I still don't think it has a new form. The green coloring as well as the eye color change and the slight change to it's (I assume) hood all happen when it uses it's Z move. The change we see in that image has been known since hackers found Marshadow in SM's code and tried it's Z move out. Once the Z move ends Marshadow goes back to normal.

As for the Switch commercial I didn't notice that at first actually. I just assumed it was tweeted/retweeted by Nintendo and didn't even look Switch at it. It's interesting that Masuda would retweet it tho. Although I do find that it being a Minecraft commercial he retweeted rather than a general Switch commercial to be a little odd, but that may just be nothing. lol

Movie stuff but probably relevant.
It says something like "Could this Marshadow be the key of the adventure?"
"During battle, parts of the body turns green"

i think the green coloration is just when it uses attacks, so its just purely aesthetic (kind of like how typhlosion's sprite in gen 6/7 only expels fire from its neck when attacking)

Maybe Marshadow shocking information is the Z-move (Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike) changes his forms

Since CoroCoro didn't actually reveal that it has a Z-move yet, I'm gonna guess that it having a Z-move will be the 'shocking' information. We only know of it because of the datamines, so it's still supposed to be shocking. It turning green and stuff seems to just be its attacking animation, as you can see in this vid at 2:50, where it isn't using its Z-move so it has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Maybe Marshadow shocking information is the Z-move (Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike) changes his forms

i don't think so unless it is in "stars" or whatever new pokemon game.

soul stealing 7-star strike doesn't have additional effects (x), nor does it change marshadow's form (x)

although it does have a cool animation and i am looking forward to seeing marshadow released. it has some pretty good stats/ability/movepool and its stab isn't resisted by any pokemon.

Back
Top Bottom