• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pokemon Gotta Catch ... Some Of Em ???
Reaction score
I don't care that USUM aren't Switch games because I'd find them massively underwhelming anyway, but in Eurogamer's defense, that "Switch TBA" slip-up in the press release does imply that at some point, a Switch version was considered. Otherwise, it's a strange coincidence.

A fifth Alola version for Switch in 2018 would be ridiculous should it turn out that the Stars idea hasn't been completely buried. But it makes no difference to me, so whatever. I am not sure I will get a Switch at all given Game Freak's track record (SM were the only 3DS games I somewhat liked).
Nintendo are handling it very badly, they discontinued the Wii U really early on, upsetting a lot of their fans who actually had gone and bought the thing, and now the switch seems full of Wii U ports, further confirmed today. Game Freak had a chance to be at the forefront, but instead, they once again opted, to be one of the last to make the... wait for it... switch.

PK.......
Reaction score
Nintendo are handling it very badly, they discontinued the Wii U really early on, upsetting a lot of their fans who actually had gone and bought the thing, and now the switch seems full of Wii U ports, further confirmed today. Game Freak had a chance to be at the forefront, but instead, they once again opted, to be one of the last to make the... wait for it... switch.
I mean, if you really wanted a Pokemon Sun/Moon on the Switch it itself would have been a Deluxe edition. It's a lose-lose for all of us

Darth Ignis
Reaction score
People are getting so hung up on the idea of releasing a main series Pokemon game for the Switch - it would be suicide. The Switch is a VERY popular machine right now, and I cannot exactly just waltz into a local store and pick one up. They sell out instantly. Pokemon, even on a bad day, is a top selling franchise, and there just is not a large enough established user base for Switch to have a successful launch. I'm sure GameFreak has explored the idea of making a G7 game for the Switch, but they determined it wasn't viable.

It was the same thing for Black and White - the 3DS user base just was not that large at the time.

Not Dead
Reaction score
But with Black and White they were smart enough, thanks to Iwata, not to simply release rehashed games for the DS. That's the key difference.

Part Time Pokémon Master
Reaction score
But with Black and White they were smart enough, thanks to Iwata, not to simply release rehashed games for the DS. That's the key difference.
They just announced the games, and only barely (a few seconds). They say it happens in an alternate timeline, so we have no idea how similar or different these games are for you to determine if it is a simply rehashed game.

Not Dead
Reaction score
Yes, we do if we don't ignore the signs. The games weren't important enough to be the main highlight of the Direct and the press release refers to them as "powered up with new additions to the story and features". That sounds an awful lot like third versions of the past.

Also, an alternate timeline doesn't have to mean a more interesting one. Just look at Movie 20.

Previously known as 'Isamu Akai'
Reaction score
I can't say I'm too thrilled about USUM. I would have honestly preferred Stars, if only because I could easily ignore that.

But the fact that USUM are being touted as having an "alternate" storyline and new forms for Solgaleo and Lunaala, leads me to believe that these are being treated more as sequels than dual third versions in the same vein as BW2...and that's a little harder to ignore.

I honestly did not like Sun/Moon and still don't. Even if USUM does have a continuation or otherwise completely new storyline, I think I'll still pass on them.

Stranger than you dreamt
Reaction score
I guess I'm almost happier about this, because this means my earlier comments in this thread were correct, lol.

That aside though, it seems like they've been pumping out a lot of Pokemon games these past few years. That's always made me a little nervous. Not because I don't think they'll be fun games, but...I want to get more than a year out of these titles before they're replaced, damn it :p

Not Dead
Reaction score
Quoting myself from another thread:

Masuda calling it an alternative story is akin to the mention of new Pokemon: an exaggeration. You can tell as much since the press release is much less grandiose: "Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon have been powered up with new additions to the story and features from Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon."

Remember that Japan likes to call forms new Pokemon all the time, and even internationally ORAS were initially described as "a spectacular new world" only for Iwata to call them remakes a day later.

Digimon King
Reaction score
People are getting so hung up on the idea of releasing a main series Pokemon game for the Switch - it would be suicide. The Switch is a VERY popular machine right now, and I cannot exactly just waltz into a local store and pick one up. They sell out instantly. Pokemon, even on a bad day, is a top selling franchise, and there just is not a large enough established user base for Switch to have a successful launch. I'm sure GameFreak has explored the idea of making a G7 game for the Switch, but they determined it wasn't viable.

It was the same thing for Black and White - the 3DS user base just was not that large at the time.
To be fair, they could have made USUM multi plataform, for the 3ds and Switch with the Swwitch version running like SM does in emulators. That way you have the 3ds audience but also some people would get interest in the switch version because it runs better. Many of the complains I have seen is from people tired of playing a 240p game at 20fps

Not Dead
Reaction score
It's most likely an idea they seriously considered but gave up on for whatever reason. They aren't the most competent developers out there.

Digimon King
Reaction score
Maybe they wanted to work in a Switch exclusive game. I doubt we will get more Gen VII games so Gen VIII is next and the Switch sold pretty well so it could be the next year? it would be weird to announce a Pokemon game for a new console in 2019, especially because unlike the 3ds,ds and gba, the switch can't read games from the previous console.

Reaction score
Maybe they wanted to work in a Switch exclusive game. I doubt we will get more Gen VII games so Gen VIII is next and the Switch sold pretty well so it could be the next year? it would be weird to announce a Pokemon game for a new console in 2019, especially because unlike the 3ds,ds and gba, the switch can't read games from the past console.
Gen 8 next year would feel too rushed.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
The problem with that logic is that Black White and their sequels were playable on the 3DS. So they could do nothing on the console and people would be still playing DS games on 3DS.

Not Dead
Reaction score
not really
It might not be too early for most fans (although I question that), but Game Freak definitely need more than two years to adjust to HD development and having to spend resources on USUM doesn't help. If the next generation is released next year, it will definitely be undercooked.

And if there is a year and a half left in this generation, someone should really tell the anime writers to pick up the pace, lol.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
It might not be too early for most fans (although I question that), but Game Freak definitely need more than two years to adjust to HD development and having to spend resources on USUM doesn't help.
GF, I think require a year or so since they,be got HD assets for Pokemon models. That's half the work done.

Not Dead
Reaction score
That's like saying that SM should have been released in 2015 because the models were recycled. Except in this case the graphical leap in the overworld should be a much bigger deal.

Again, it's possible, but you're essentially asking for the next generation to be a small leap just so you can get it earlier.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
No, I'm just saying that half the work is done. They just need to focus on the overworld, not something which takes 2 years.
I think it may take 1 and a 1/2 year at most.

If GF is maintaining their Team A and B structure, then:

Pokemon USUM was previously being developed by Team A while Team B explored the Switch. Team B is carrying out conceptual development.
Team A and B now come together to polish USUM. Gen 8 conceptual development done and project kept on hold.

USUM launched and now Team A and B merge for Gen 8 development.
Gen 8 launches 2018 holiday season.

I'm no expert by any means, but this is possible.