• Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters! Click here to check out the event and sign up!

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nepgear is cute.
Reaction score
If/When revealed I'm eager to see what new features they have, or any old ones they'll add they had to remove but its up in the air for the when part.
One thing I could see Game Freak doing, besides putting Triple and Rotation Battles back in, is merge the SOS mechanic with horde battles. Image if a Pokémon called for help, and a horde would end up forming as a result. This, combined with the Adrenaline Orb, could mean infinite horde battles. That would be a godsend for both EV training and shiny hunters!

Reaction score
One thing I could see Game Freak doing, besides putting Triple and Rotation Battles back in, is merge the SOS mechanic with horde battles. Image if a Pokémon called for help, and a horde would end up forming as a result. This, combined with the Adrenaline Orb, could mean infinite horde battles. That would be a godsend for both EV training and shiny hunters!
That never occured to me, but good eye. That would be a very good idea if GF did just that, but we'll have to see. We also seem to be of the same mind of the missing formats returning. The only down side is being 'stuck' but a simple way around it is running away, or using multi hit moves. Or if it only happens when you have hordes And you use the orbs.

Toyosatomimi no Miko fangirl
Reaction score
All I really want back is difficulty selection, with less dumb unlock requisites, of course.

Black 2 Challenge Mode was one of the most fun of the main stories for me, and it's a good compromise between those who want challenge and those who don't.

Just so long as all difficulties are unlocked off the bat (or at least you can easily restart on hard after clearing Normal) and the key trade system does not return.

There really is no good reason for this to have stayed cut. XY I give more of a pass because simultaneous development, but it's still gone... and I don't know why.

And while they're at it, those little conveniences from BW2 should come back too (namely, habitat listing and the XTransceiver stuff).

Last edited:
Laid to Wake
Reaction score
And while they're at it, those little conveniences from BW2 should come back too (namely, habitat listing and the XTransceiver stuff).
The Habitat List did come back, sort of... but only for ORAS, as it was built into the DexNav.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
It looks like the walking with your Pokemon feature is back. Either that, or it's dummied out data.

The Greatest Pokémon Ranger
Reaction score
It looks like the walking with your Pokemon feature is back. Either that, or it's dummied out data.
Well, currently it IS dummied out data.

I doubt it. Too early. I'm predicting a May-June reveal. Autumn 2017 release.
More likely we'll see a January or February announcement. I say January only because there's a chance it could be tacked onto the big Switch discussion.

Borderland Sword
Reaction score
Since we're talking features, can we get the PSS back? The Festival Plaza does nothing superior to the PSS. It almost makes things harder. T___T

But I doubt they'll do it since it'd be far easier than building an entire Gen 7 PSS function, but at least make Online easier to navigate~ T___T

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
I've been a purely handheld gamer to my core ever since the Game Boy Color so my thoughts on Stars would still be riding on whether it's also available to the 3DS. That's a very big factor. If it's Switch exclusive then I'm not gonna bother.

We'll just have to wait and see. Let's hope for the best.

Nuzlocke Lover
Reaction score
I've been a purely handheld gamer to my core ever since the Game Boy Color so my thoughts on Stars would still be riding on whether it's also available to the 3DS. That's a very big factor. If it's Switch exclusive then I'm not gonna bother.

The rumours say that Stars will be Switch exclusive.

Why do people want to skip Stars if it's Switch exclusive? It'll be the first main HD, console game ever. Maybe the first isn't always the best then. But I would want to be a part of that experience though. :)

Destroyer of Fairy, Steel and Ice types.
Reaction score

Why do people want to skip Stars if it's Switch exclusive? It'll be the first main HD, console game ever. Maybe the first isn't always the best then. But I would want to be a part of that experience though. :)
Because they don't want to buy both game and console when they have a perfectly good 3ds.

Only 79 new Pokemon?
Reaction score

Well the switch has a handheld component with a 720p screen.

Huge boost from the 240 of the 3DS.

Goddess
Reaction score

Because I'm not going to get Stars. PS4 Life.

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
Because they don't want to buy both game and console when they have a perfectly good 3ds.
Exactly right. I don't see why I should have to buy another console just to play a third version. That's like releasing Black 2 and White 2 for only the 3DS. A jump to another console should wait until Gen VIII's paired versions.

Switch exclusive? I'll just hope Stars is either a side game or that this part of the rumor is false, it's only going to completely alienate the Gen VII fans who don't want a Switch. GameFreak are essentially twisting their hands with this move.

Nuzlocke Lover
Reaction score
Exactly right. I don't see why I should have to buy another console just to play a third version. That's like releasing Black 2 and White 2 for only the 3DS. A jump to another console should wait until Gen VIII's paired versions.
But then we'll have another Gen VI situation where the game was shiny. It lacked substance though. Rather test the Switch with a third version than jump right into the deep end with Gen VIII.

Switch exclusive? I'll just hope Stars is either a side game or that this part of the rumor is false, it's only going to completely alienate the Gen VII fans who don't want a Switch. GameFreak are essentially twisting their hands with this move.
Stars will be main game and a third version and real.

Toyosatomimi no Miko fangirl
Reaction score
For goodness sake, not this again.

The goal with Stars is not to sell Pokémon, it does that on practically its own. The goal is selling the Switch, which is a shiny new console Nintendo has to get off the ground.

Why do people assume there's some sort of rule about third versions being on the same console? There is no such rule, thinking there is is just appealing to tradition ("It was always this way, therefore it will stay this way"), which was considered a logical fallacy even before the pattern first broke in Gen V.

Did X/Y alienate fans who lacked 3DS's? You need a 3DS to play them, and the DS had more players while the 3DS needed to sell since it wasn't doing as great as it currently is at the time. Should XY have been limited to outdated hardware simply because people didn't want to buy 3DS's? Should Stars have to be limited to dated hardware because people didn't want to buy Switches?

What makes intergen and intragen splits so different? Both are moving to a new system to sell it.