• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Actually it isn't. Sun and Moon didn't have them because they were always a gen 5 format but were allowed to be in one more gen. Gen 7 is basically new so they decided that triple and rotations were done.

Heh, where are you pulling this from? They weren't just allowed to be in one more generation. Triples and Rotation aren't features to give character to a game or two. They are full on battle formats that Gamefreak built in other features and mechanics to support them as well as occasional competitions using these formats. You don't just drop things with this much support without good reason. And as we have seen with much evidence going for it, that reason is technical limitations.

By that logic, Kanto is infinitely more likely than Sinnoh, and even Unova is more likely (Cynthia and Looker are the only returning NPC's from Gen IV, while 3 people from Gen V show up. And unlike Cynthia, those three people actually showed up outside the Battle Tree).

Just saying there are Sinnoh "References" is pretty weak evidence, they might as well be remaking everything if that held up.

Edit: I forgot Looker was a Gen IV person
Kanto has reappeared to many times so it is unlikely to return. And no it is not weak evidence.

You do realise that the Nintendo Switch is just as much a handheld console as it is a home console, right? Like I just said before, you have the option to play it in HD on the television OR you can play it via handheld and you can easily switch between the two whenever you like, therefore, there is no issue there.

And whether you you deny it or not, Pokémon Sun and Moon did reach the 3DS' limits, that is basically fact at this point. If a game lags at any point, then that is because a system has a hard time running it effectively. That is not up to opinion. The Switch will be much more powerful and will be able to run Pokémon Stars lag free. The 3DS will not be able to do that. If the 3DS can't even run Pokémon SM without lag, then how can it run an even bigger Pokémon game without lag? It can't.

Pokémon Stars (as any other game) will be more beneficial on the most powerful console, that is a given. So whether you disagree with purchasing a Switch to play it (you'll have to anyway to play gen VIII so I'm not even sure why you're complaining), Pokémon Stars as a game will be better off on the better console.
I rather they don't make it optional. And no Sun and Moon reaching 3DS limits is not fact. The 3DS can handle anything. Stars is better off on the 3DS.

Heh, where are you pulling this from? They weren't just allowed to be in one more generation. Triples and Rotation aren't features to give character to a game or two. They are full on battle formats that Gamefreak built in other features and mechanics to support them as well as occasional competitions using these formats. You don't just drop things with this much support without good reason. And as we have seen with much evidence going for it, that reason is technical limitations.
Triple battles and rotation battles are not mandatory to have. Obviously they chose not to include them this time.

And what did they do to build on Triple and Rotation Battles in 6th gen when you could actually do them? It's more than just technical limitations, they were just shoved to the side after 5th gen and forgotten about. That speaks more to them simply not wanting to do anything else with them and treating them as a region exclusive feature, not that the hardware was holding them back.

And what did they do to build on Triple and Rotation Battles in 6th gen when you could actually do them? It's more than just technical limitations, they were just shoved to the side after 5th gen and forgotten about. That speaks more to them simply not wanting to do anything else with them and treating them as a region exclusive feature, not that the hardware was holding them back.
The 3DS really can't handle triples. There are vids that show severe frame dips when people are using multiple flying types in triples. Gamefreak anticipated for this which is why triples are practically non-existent outside the maison and 3D is automatically disabled for hordes.

It has nothing to do with popularity. If gamefreak gave half a crap about it HMs would have been gone by gen 4.

The 3DS really can't handle triples. There are vids that show severe frame dips when people are using multiple flying types in triples. Gamefreak anticipated for this which is why triples are practically non-existent outside the maison and 3D is automatically disabled for hordes.
If I recall, the 3DS couldn't handle the Ice Climbers in Smash Bros as well. I hear they got them to work on the Wii U version, though couldn't on the 3DS, so they cut them from both versions. Can't forget that they couldn't have 8 player battles on the 3DS. The 3DS has its limits and there's no denying that.

Last edited:
If I recall, the 3DS couldn't handle the Ice Climbers in Smash Bros as well. I hear they got them to work on the Wii U version, though couldn't on the 3DS, so they cut them from both versions. Can't forget that they couldn't have 8 player battles on the 3DS. The 3DS has its limits and there's no denying that.

It's not enough just to be run. 3DS could probably easily handle ice climbers by themselves or a triple battle where each side uses 3 carbinks, but it has to be able to handle them under every condition. So for smash it would have to run at 60 FPS with 4 ice climbers during a final smash or smash run with items falling everywhere and for pokemon it would need to be able to perform up to par with 6 Moltres in a sandstorm. Clearly the latter was too much for the 3DS to handle and the former was probably too much for Smash 3DS and was hinted to be why the ice climbers were cut.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about

And also this

Last edited:
Triple battles and rotation battles are not mandatory to have. Obviously they chose not to include them this time.

Who's saying anything about them being mandatory? We already know that's not the case because of Sun and Moon. Stating that they had a choice in the matter is I guess something one could say had happened. Though the choice they made was between "are we gonna include two formats that will always run like shit and reflect badly on us as game developers" or "should we drop these for now to bring them back on a more powerful system".

Who's saying anything about them being mandatory? We already know that's not the case because of Sun and Moon. Stating that they had a choice in the matter is I guess something one could say had happened. Though the choice they made was between "are we gonna include two formats that will always run like shit and reflect badly on us as game developers" or "should we drop these for now to bring them back on a more powerful system".
I thought they both worked perfectly on the 3DS. I don't see any problems and I can see perfectly. I think that rushing onto a new handheld just for two battle formats is a bad call in my opinion.

It has nothing to do with popularity. If gamefreak gave half a crap about it HMs would have been gone by gen 4.

I didn't say anything about popularity. I just said they were treating them as a region exclusive feature. We all know how Game Freak likes to introduce something one game and then drop it the next, they've started to do that with battle styles now. You don't see Sky Battles, Inverse Battles, or Horde Battles anymore, now do you? Triple and Rotation Battles are likely in the same boat, even if the Switch is physically capable of running them well they may just not be interested in bringing them back.

I didn't say anything about popularity. I just said they were treating them as a region exclusive feature. We all know how Game Freak likes to introduce something one game and then drop it the next, they've started to do that with battle styles now. You don't see Sky Battles, Inverse Battles, or Horde Battles anymore, now do you? Triple and Rotation Battles are likely in the same boat, even if the Switch is physically capable of running them well they may just not be interested in bringing them back.

Sky battles were just normal battles with some odd limitations on what pokemon can be used. Triple and horde battles had clear technical issues.

Inverse I'll agree was a one and gone feature.

Don't act like they are generation exclusive things. Double are still in the games since generation three because it is a good addition to the game. Triple and rotation battles despite having some gameplay problems also had fans and an own CP format in Smogon. Removing them is just a loss of content.

A bit off topic, I know of Smogon but what does CP stand for?

Looking at Yellow, it didn't add too much to the original RB games. Maybe Stars isn't a 3rd version, but a project code name (a la Rainbow) for Switch versions of Sun & Moon?

But the person he's responding to was asking if it'd be a straight-up port rather than an "expanded third version," and his answer was "No [it isn't a straight-up port]." Doesn't that rather suggest that it is a third version and not something with minimal changes (i.e., a port)? I know Yellow didn't add much to RB overall, but it wasn't *just* the same game, either.

Yeah, if this is true, we seem to be a looking at a third version for Sun and Moon. There will definitely be changes.

Unless there is no third version game or any new alola game. I wouldn't count on Stars just yet.

I think I'm having deja vu here. This is like what... the third or fourth time I'm asking if Stars is a Yellow-esque "You get Pikachu plus all starters?"

Do we have anything new on Stars at all? And does anyone want to have a game where you can get all three starters?

But the person he's responding to was asking if it'd be a straight-up port rather than an "expanded third version," and his answer was "No [it isn't a straight-up port]." Doesn't that rather suggest that it is a third version and not something with minimal changes (i.e., a port)? I know Yellow didn't add much to RB overall, but it wasn't *just* the same game, either.

If it was going to be a third version, he could have picked Emerald or Platinum to make the comparison to. They arguably embody that mold better than Yellow does.

And does anyone want to have a game where you can get all three starters?

I think a lot of people would like that but given the prevalence of the GTS, Wonder Trade and Bank I don't see it happening.

Well, for someone who doesn't has access to GTS, Wonder Trade and the Bank, I would love a game with access to all three starters. But I am probably in minority here or perhaps all on my own. :p

Well, for someone who doesn't has access to GTS, Wonder Trade and the Bank, I would love a game with access to all three starters. But I am probably in minority here or perhaps all on my own. :p

Don't worry, I'm there in the minority too :D

Wild Speculation
What if Stars will be a game where Pikachu is our starter? And, the Pikachu's greatest ambition would be to become a surfing legend, and contrary to the Yellow Pikachu, this one will want to evolve to Alolan a Raichu to advance itself... After all, they were advertising A-Raichu as the trianer's Pokemon in the trailers. I would love to see Raichu in the spotlight again, and have him portrayed as something other than a Gym Pokemon beating up Red's Pikachu in Yellow...

Also, People might say that we're getting(datamined spoiler)
Ash-Hat Pikachu
as our starter. But, this is out of question since it would be
Ash's Pikachu and not ours.

Back
Top Bottom