• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Factor in the fact many people buy both versions.
a true statement, but can you quantify many?
Many of them will no longer buy both versions.
again, quantify many. also, this didn't seem to be a massive issue going from GBA to DS to 3DS where prices also increased.
The console price isn't really a big issue. It's $50 more than the 3DS originally was.
which is why so many have been complaining that the Switch is such a premium to pay for Pokemon?
Use proportions. Compared to the original 3DS at launch, the Switch is 20% more expensive (and it can do much more, mind you). So it's actually more value for your money. Pokemon games have been $40, and on the Switch they would be $60. Thats a whopping 50% increase in price. Same value, more money.
except using proportions simply distorts the reality in this case. the Switch may only be x-percent more expensive but that's also a whopping 30-150+ extra dollars spent depending on whether you buy a bundle, Nintendo 3DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS, and so on. despite being a "whopping" fifty percent increase, that increase represents only twenty dollars, not to mention it's a quantity you'd have to spend anyways since you probably want games for this lovely console you dropped 300 USD (sans accessories) on.

complaining about price of games is ultimately trivial since you can shell out for the console and then just have no games for said console, at which the smarter investment probably would've been to buy some budget tablet and/or a Roku/Chromecast-type device and now you have everything that your game-less console can do for almost certainly cheaper.

If a new handheld was in development, what would be the point of making the Switch a hybrid?
Depends on how much they focus on the Switch being a handheld. It's been more focused on being compared to the Wii and Wii-U than it has the 3DS. It's still quite possible for them to bring out a pure handheld.

If they're planning a pure handheld, it will still share the same library as the Switch and probably be considered a downgraded SKU much like the 2DS to the 3DS. So Game Freak won't just be able to ignore Switch owners, which Masuda has already made abundantly clear.

A downgraded handheld-only version of the Switch being would actually be the ideal case. For one, unlike GF Nintendo is clearly working in patterns (which means that the 2DS sets a precedents that should be considered), having a downgraded Switch would also pacify people concerned about the barrier to entry (the console price) being high to begin with. The catch is that such a version of the Switch would defeat the purpose, so much like Stars, I see this as possible but unlikely.

I think the big question is, out of all the players that pay Pokemon games, how many of them are also console gamers? I ask this because the idea seems to target people that own both consoles and handheld systems, and thus make it cheaper to buy in the long run because while $300 seems high, its relatively low compared to the competition and is certainly not the sum of say, the Wii U and 3DS's prices.

I sincerely doubt a new handheld is in development, because it seems that the Switch has two forms, so it could be both.
That's exactly my point-the Switch is a hybrid, so there's no need to make another console for the sake of filling the role of handheld or home-it does both.

The catch is that such a version of the Switch would defeat the purpose, so much like Stars, I see this as possible but unlikely.
Well, the 2DS defeated the purpose of the 3DS. It really depends on how consumers react to the concept of the console.

I think the big question is, out of all the players that pay Pokemon games, how many of them are also console gamers?
Who knows. I would suggest looking at the sales of console Pokemon games, but spin-off games aren't much better on handhelds, either.

But for Japan, it is easy enough to say that most players don't own home consoles, since that is the case in general.

Last edited:
If they're planning a pure handheld, it will still share the same library as the Switch and probably be considered a downgraded SKU much like the 2DS to the 3DS. So Game Freak won't just be able to ignore Switch owners, which Masuda has already made abundantly clear.

This is precisely what I have been attempting to tell people who believe that Nintendo are still going to create 'pure handheld consoles' that have no connections to the Switch at all.

Never said it needed to have a touchscreen when docked. Nor does it. I frankly don't know why you're arguing with me over something I never even argued about lol.

The comment I replied to said that the touchscreen when undocked removes any issues regarding features like Refresh. Always read the context first. I was simply pointing out that there isn't one while docked, rendering the suggestion moot.

Sorry for the misunderstanding...

For TV, I think they could do it like the Wii, where a virtual hand pointed wherever you pointed your Wii remote.

I also believe that Pokemon Stars can use HD rumble for battle, and Refresh. It would make the experience even better.

The price of both the Switch, and it´s games are the problem in this case. Adding them together, they reach a minimum of 360 dollars/ euros. Which is already expensive for home console users, considering the superior PS4 and Xbone cost a lot less than that, but it´s even worse for us handheld Nintendo players, who are used to spend no more than 140- 190 euros/dollars to be able to keep playing Pokemon.

Unless they quickly cut the price like they did for the 3DS, or they just release a Switch version that is handheld only (aka no TV dock), I think it will sell like shit tbh. Because, compared with its home console competitiors, it is inferior to both the PS4 and Xbone, and costs more than them. And, compared to its handheld competition, both the 3DS/2DS and PS Vita are all a lot cheaper than the Switch.

The 2 consoles in 1 concept sounds cute, but that´s about it.

Last edited:
The price of both the Switch, and it´s games are the problem in this case. Adding them together, they reach a minimum of 360 dollars/ euros. Which is already expensive for home console users, considering the superior PS4 and Xbone cost a lot less than that, but it´s even worse for us handheld Nintendo players, who are used to spend no more than 140- 190 euros/dollars to be able to keep playing Pokemon.

Unless they quickly cut the price like they did for the 3DS, or they just release a Switch version that is handheld only (aka no TV dock), I think it will sell like shit tbh. Because, compared with its home console competitiors, it is inferior to both the PS4 and Xbone, and costs more than them. And, compared to its handheld competition, both the 3DS/2DS and PS Vita are all a lot cheaper than the Switch.

The 2 consoles in 1 concept sounds cute, but that´s about it.

I disagree. I believe the Switch will end up selling very well. Much better than the Wii U anyway. One of the major problems of the Wii U for players was the lack of third party support. Nintendo Switch already has 50 confirmed third party companies working with them. The fact that Nintendo Switch will have plenty of Nintendo's own games that people know and love as well as great third party games will be one of the selling points for the Switch. And let's face it, when Pokémon does eventually and inevitably come onto Nintendo Switch, people will be getting it, despite their complaints. I don't think the price will be an issue, as plenty of people purchased Xbox One and Playstation 4 on release day and it was twice as expensive on release day as what Switch will be on release day. Nintendo Switch will only be approximately $50 more than the deluxe Wii U, and considering the amount of technology put into this, I believe the price is well worth it.

You know that Xbox and PS were a lot more expensive at their launch, right?

" At launch" doesn´t matter. What matters is how much the 3 cost NOW. And PS4 and Xbone both are cheaper and mor epowerful than Switch. So they will probably be the preferred choice for players who wanna buy a home console...

And for those who wanna buy a handheld console, 3DS/3DS are a lot better options for how much cheaper they are, and especially for how they support the entire gigantic DS library of games and have their own well established 3DS library of games as well, whereas Switch doesn´t support any of those games.

I do think Switch might start selling very good once they cut the price, and release a cheaper maybe handheld only Switch... however, the Switch has the problem that it´s late to the party, with it´s competition (both home console and portable) already having cut prices significantly.

" At launch" doesn´t matter. What matters is how much the 3 cost NOW. And PS4 and Xbone both are cheaper and mor epowerful than Switch. So they will probably be the preferred choice for players who wanna buy a home console...

And for those who wanna buy a handheld console, 3DS/3DS are a lot better options for how much cheaper they are, and especially for how they support the entire DS library of games and have their own well established 3DS library of games, whereas Switch doesnñt support any of those games.

I do think Switch might start selling very good once they cut the price, and release a cheaper maybe handheld only Switch... however, the Switch has the problem that it´s late to the party, with it´s competition (both home console and portable) already having cut prices significantly.

But Switch has its points which prove it better than the PS4 in some aspects.
1. 10000x better design. It alone is a nice selling factor.
2. More portable than the PS4.
3. More flexibility to play. Tabletop, Handheld and console modes.
4. Popular franchises like Pokemon, Mario etc.

Not that I'm against having a cheaper Switch down the line, but the bolded really makes no sense, because that would undermine and undo the Switch brand name.

The NIntendo Switch's name exactly explains what the console/handheld hybrid is about. Its about switching between the three modes of TV, Tabletop and Handheld. A only Handheld version of the Switch makes no sense whatsoever, because who is going to switch between tabletop and handheld only? People want the full spectrum of modes with this thing, not something that has one or two features removed. The TV mode is exactly what people wanted, especially when it comes to Pokémon. People have been clamoring for TV console-based Pokémon, and now, they are finally getting one.

A handheld only Switch doesn't help achieve that vision.

But Switch has its points which prove it better than the PS4 in some aspects.
Of course it has its points, the question is, if those points will be enough to sell well.
1. 10000x better design. It alone is a nice selling factor.
I agree. I like the design, but I don´t think this is a factor that will make people buy it.
2. More portable than the PS4.
If it´s a matter of portability though, 3DS/2DS are better and much cheaper. And have a vastly superior library of games.
3. More flexibility to play. Tabletop, Handheld and console modes.
Agreed, definitely.
4. Popular franchises like Pokemon, Mario etc.
Which are also on the 3DS, and, again, much cheaper.

But I hope the Switch has success IF they cut the price significantly.
Not that I'm against having a cheaper Switch down the line, but the bolded really makes no sense, because that would undermine and undo the Switch brand name.

The NIntendo Switch's name exactly explains what the console/handheld hybrid is about. Its about switching between the three modes of TV, Tabletop and Handheld. A only Handheld version of the Switch makes no sense whatsoever, because who is going to switch between tabletop and handheld only? People want the full spectrum of modes with this thing, not something that has one or two features removed. The TV mode is exactly what people wanted, especially when it comes to Pokémon. People have been clamoring for TV console-based Pokémon, and now, they are finally getting one.

A handheld only Switch doesn't help achieve that vision.
And the whole gimmick of the 3DS is the 3D vision, and the name perfectly explains this. But there you have the 2DS, which doesn´t have 3D vision, and is a fantastic and cheaper alternative. It would be a similar situation.

Last edited:
I agree. I like the design, but I don´t think this is a factor that will make people buy it.

I think I like the Switch more than the Wii (which I have at my home). It's better to see something up and about in action (the Switch), to something which is just there and takes up Space. The Switch just screams more immersion than the competition. Design is what appeals children, who request their parents to buy the console in the first place. I remember when I was younger,I liked the Wii's design a lot better than the other consoles, and asked for it.

If it´s a matter of portability though, 3DS/2DS are better and much cheaper. And have a vastly superior library of games.
I was comparing it with the PS4. If you're comparing with the 3DS, the Specs of Switch are much, much better.

And for those who wanna buy a handheld console, 3DS/3DS are a lot better options for how much cheaper they are, and especially for how they support the entire gigantic DS library of games and have their own well established 3DS library of games as well, whereas Switch doesn´t support any of those games.

Actually, the pricing back then does matter. If people were willing to pay almost $1000 (AUD) for those consoles back then, then paying $470 (AUD) isn't such a big deal. Also, consider the fact that the current Xbox one and Playstation 4 have been this price for a while, added with the fact that Christmas has just gone, and I'd say it is quite likely that most people who currently want an Xbox one or Playstation 4 already have one by now, and therefore. The more likely question for majority of people wouldn't be 'Should I purchase Nintendo Switch over Xbox or Playstation?" but "Should I purchase Switch or am I satisfied enough with my current Xbox One/Playstation 4?"

Almost anyone who ever considered buying a 2DS/3DS has one by now. In fact, I've heard that the systems are becoming hard to find and new ones aren't being made anymore. It is because the Switch library is starting from scratch that new games should be made for it sooner rather than later.

What the Switch has going for it over other home consoles is Nintendo games and portability. Whether or not that is enough for decent sales remains to be seen, but obviously Nintendo should capitalize on those aspects.

As for the price, I think that it will be lowered to $250 for the holidays. If that doesn't prove to be enough, they will release a cheaper SKU by late 2018. But in the meantime, Game Freak wouldn't be taking a big risk by releasing a third version for the Switch.

Last edited:
I was comparing it with the PS4. If you're comparing with the 3DS, the Specs of Switch are much, much better.
And and the 3DS family is much, much cheaper, and has a much, much bigger library. My point is that the Switch is supposed to be a home console and handheld in one, but it is far too expensive to compete with the 3DS family as a handheld, and will be more expensive than the PS4 and Xbone as a home console. It is in a tricky situation, at least at launch.
The more likely question for majority of people wouldn't be 'Should I purchase Nintendo Switch over Xbox or Playstation?" but "Should I purchase Switch or am I satisfied enough with my current Xbox One/Playstation 4?"
You should know that a big portion of the people in the world don´t have enough money to buy more than one home console, and therefore have to choose which one they wanna buy. And that´s where the Switch is at disatvantage: it is coming late to the party, since a lot of homeconsole users have already bought either a PS4 or an Xbone.

If the Switch was at least a bit cheaper, it could attract the portion of buyers that don´t have a home console yet thanks to it´s attractive price, but no, the Switch will cost MORE than the competition, because the competition has already lowered it´s price, and the Switch hasn´t yet.

Back
Top Bottom