• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.
  • ME continues berating people in this next exciting episode of his Platinum Lets Play. Watch it here.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dare you to read this title
Reaction score
Both Yellow and Crystal added more than one new feature. Both of your examples would be more different to their original counterparts than a third version of SM on 3DS would if it only added one new feature and that's it.

I'll ask you not to say I am making false claims. Nothing I have claimed is false. Pokémon Sun suffers from lag and blurry text. That is a fact. You fail to understand that lag is lag. lagging occurs because there is too much for the console to comprehend efficiently. That is another fact. How is that hard to understand? Why does it matter where the lag occurs when the whole point is that it is too much for the 3DS to run without lag. A third version will have the exact same issues. It is completely obvious that Pokémon SM pushed what the 3DS is capable of. Your denials change nothing. I'll say it one more time, lag occurs because the system cannot perfectly run the game. That is a clear indicator that it is time to move on. Nobody wants lag, and the game lags in quite an important part of the game; double battles. If Gamefreak cannot fix the lag on the 3DS, then they should no longer release Pokémon Games for the 3DS, and instead go for a newer, better system. I highly doubt we'll be seeing Stars on the 3DS, if we see Stars at all.
Not to mention other features such as triple and rotation battles are gone, too. Do we even have a spot for inverse battles?

Also, I'll give my account of what I saw on my original 3DS and there was VERY noticable lag in battles with multiple Pokemon.

Beep Boop
Reaction score
Can we please not again get into an argument about the lag in SM? That there's lag, blurry text, and loading screens to go through a fence is a fact, even on my New 3DS XL. There's nothing to argue about. Yes, this doesn't mean that Stars can't add new features, but it does mean these features can't really be big and there will still be lag, blurry text, and loading screens to go through fences, maybe even worse. Just because some people don't want to buy a new console isn't good enough of a reason to release another game that doesn't work 100%.

Before anyone goes "This is definite proof that Stars is fake!" again, no it isn't :p Just because the 3DS might get a successor, doesn't mean there won't be Pokémon games on the Switch. If they're considering one, that probably means it isn't even in the making yet, so could take multiple years still.

Step into my crib everything smell like Cool Water
Reaction score
Can we please not again get into an argument about the lag in SM? That there's lag, blurry text, and loading screens to go through a fence is a fact, even on my New 3DS XL. There's nothing to argue about. Yes, this doesn't mean that Stars can't add new features, but it does mean these features can't really be big and there will still be lag, blurry text, and loading screens to go through fences, maybe even worse. Just because some people don't want to buy a new console isn't good enough of a reason to release another game that doesn't work 100%.

Before anyone goes "This is definite proof that Stars is fake!" again, no it isn't :p Just because the 3DS might get a successor, doesn't mean there won't be Pokémon games on the Switch. If they're considering one, that probably means it isn't even in the making yet, so could take multiple years still.
The 3DS' successor could be the very thing I have been saying all along; a cheaper handheld only version of Nintendo Switch, to coexist alongside the actual Switch. I really doubt Nintendo is going to make us purchase a hybrid console and then have an entirely new handheld console. What would be even worse is if Pokémon was only created for this theoretical 3DS Successor.

For now, I'm holding on to the theory that the next handheld only console will in fact be some handheld only version of the Switch.

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
Game Freak isn't likely going to do anything if a handful of people complain about lag. Especially if the casuals don't complain, and they probably don't care. There's still a sizeable market that would buy another 3DS game, bigger than the market of gamers that would buy any non-8th gen Switch game.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Game Freak isn't likely going to do anything if a handful of people complain about lag. Especially if the casuals don't complain, and they probably don't care.
Excuse me? Do you call that handful?
Anyone using Old 3Ds Xl with sun or moon? - Pokemon Sun Message Board for 3DS - GameFAQs
Even gaming sites are reporting lags.
Pokemon Sun And Moon Update: Standard 3DS Version Takes More Time To Load Than Usual
Pokemon Sun and Moon Take Longer to Load on 3DS Than New 3DS

This one completes our notion that SM are pushing 3DS to its limits
Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon push the old 3DS to the max - Nintendo Everything

EDIT: The hardcore fans, seeing such lag, will probably not buy any further game on the 3DS. And if Pokemon loses its fans, it is heading towards grave trouble.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Anyone using Old 3Ds Xl with sun or moon? - Pokemon Sun Message Board for 3DS - GameFAQs
Pokemon Sun And Moon Update: Standard 3DS Version Takes More Time To Load Than Usual

EDIT: The hardcore fans, seeing such lag, will probably not buy any further game on the 3DS. And if Pokemon loses its fans, it is heading towards grave trouble.
You're confusing the term "hardcore" and "casual". Hardcore fans will buy any Pokemon game, even if there is tremendous lag.

Pretense
Reaction score
Unless Kimishima has changed the plan put forth by Iwata, whatever they mean by a possible 3DS successor should have the same library as the Switch. And let's remember that the GBA Micro was released after the DS and Nintendo considered a GBA successor in case the DS failed.

We should wait for the official translation, because native Japanese speakers don't seem to think that the quote means much. I find it amusing that Masuda seems more forthcoming than Nintendo about the Switch replacing the 3DS.

As for the short term... If they're cowardly, they can release Stars both on 3DS and Switch (even though Sun and Moon are already the 3DS versions of Stars). But if they stick to just the 3DS, then why even bother with a third version?

Last edited:
N-Zap von Riegan
Reaction score
You're confusing the term "hardcore" and "casual". Hardcore fans will buy any Pokemon game, even if there is tremendous lag.
Depends on if you're referring to hardcore Pokémon fans or hardcore gamers.

The stereotype of the hardcore gamer cares more about specs, frame rate, and processing power than the story and accessible gameplay Pokémon typically offers, so I think the argument is if your graphics aren't up to snuff then "hardcore" gamers won't play

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Depends on if you're referring to hardcore Pokémon fans or hardcore gamers.

The stereotype of the hardcore gamer cares more about specs, frame rate, and processing power than the story and accessible gameplay Pokémon typically offers, so I think the argument is if your graphics aren't up to snuff then "hardcore" gamers won't play
I was talking about hardcore fans of the franchise, not hardcore gamers in general.

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score

Yes, that's still a handful. For Game Freak to take action on this, millions of people have to be upset with this.

Anyway, if they're dead set on moving onto the Switch before 8th gen, at least do it with a remake and not a third version/sequel. Remakes sell better and would be much more effective at what people think Stars is going to do, drawing in new fans to build an audience for the Switch. You'd have a better chance at drawing in new fans and building a userbase with a fan favorite region instead of just recycling a game that isn't even a year old. Kanto would probably be the best candidate here, starting out on the Switch with the region everyone remembers? That'd turn some heads.

Reaction score
Anyway, if they're dead set on moving onto the Switch before 8th gen, at least do it with a remake and not a third version/sequel. Remakes sell better and would be much more effective at what people think Stars is going to do, drawing in new fans to build an audience for the Switch. You'd have a better chance at drawing in new fans and building a userbase with a fan favorite region instead of just recycling a game that isn't even a year old. Kanto would probably be the best candidate here, starting out on the Switch with the region everyone remembers? That'd turn some heads.
though we don't necessarily know why third versions sell so low in comparison. sure we can spitball and think that it might be because they're a quasi-expansion pack to a solid base game, or that they're simply the more polished base game repackaged. is it because most third versions have appeared towards the ends of their console's life cycle?

and the beauty in using a third version, especially one that stands to potentially be a Yellow-esque HD port, is that even if it were a flop it's hardly a massive loss investment-wise. consider that Game Freak does a remake instead. let's also imagine that, for whatever reason we can think of, the Switch is still a flop and the remake ultimately fails to sell (bc no consoles sold etc etc etc). not only has Game Freak made a game that no one is really experiencing because of whatever issue with the console, but they've also incurred a substantial loss because they invested in a mostly entirely new game. in Universe B they've opted for the HD port (or small upgrade third version, whatever you want it to be that isn't sequel or remake); the Switch still flops and by extension so was the game. but at the end of the day, it's hardly a loss because it's a game that most people have already experienced on the weaker console and one that didn't cost as much to make since they simply tidied up bits and pieces of the game.

and sure, the reverse is also possible true: the Switch is a success and following in other remakes' fashion, the Switch remake is a bigger success than what Stars would've been. but of course, then you have to do risk analysis. the remake is simply riskier than the third version, which is neutral at best. (and that wouldn't even be factoring more middle-of-the-road situations where the remakes sell fine but not enough to really justify the investment or where Stars still sells less than the remake ever would but since it was produced for cheaper it has a higher yield....and so on.)

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
though we don't necessarily know why third versions sell so low in comparison. sure we can spitball and think that it might be because they're a quasi-expansion pack to a solid base game, or that they're simply the more polished base game repackaged. is it because most third versions have appeared towards the ends of their console's life cycle?
No, it's not. We've had new generations, remakes, and third versions appear at varying points in the hardware's life cycle, it has a minimal effect on sales (at best we see a drop of ~1 million for any game towards the end of the console's life, but that's not really much compared to Pokemon's entire audience). The timing of the games on their hardware has nothing to do with their sales, it's because of the games themselves, there's just more demand for new generations and third versions in general.

and the beauty in using a third version, especially one that stands to potentially be a Yellow-esque HD port, is that even if it were a flop it's hardly a massive loss investment-wise. consider that Game Freak does a remake instead. let's also imagine that, for whatever reason we can think of, the Switch is still a flop and the remake ultimately fails to sell (bc no consoles sold etc etc etc). not only has Game Freak made a game that no one is really experiencing because of whatever issue with the console, but they've also incurred a substantial loss because they invested in a mostly entirely new game. in Universe B they've opted for the HD port (or small upgrade third version, whatever you want it to be that isn't sequel or remake); the Switch still flops and by extension so was the game. but at the end of the day, it's hardly a loss because it's a game that most people have already experienced on the weaker console and one that didn't cost as much to make since they simply tidied up bits and pieces of the game.

and sure, the reverse is also possible true: the Switch is a success and following in other remakes' fashion, the Switch remake is a bigger success than what Stars would've been. but of course, then you have to do risk analysis. the remake is simply riskier than the third version, which is neutral at best. (and that wouldn't even be factoring more middle-of-the-road situations where the remakes sell fine but not enough to really justify the investment or where Stars still sells less than the remake ever would but since it was produced for cheaper it has a higher yield....and so on.)
Not really. The biggest risk in that situation would be developing for more powerful hardware, which is a problem either way. So then it's a matter of which one sells better, which is still remakes.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Not really. The biggest risk in that situation would be developing for more powerful hardware, which is a problem either way. So then it's a matter of which one sells better, which is still remakes.
But what if Stars was a flop, and the remakes didn't sell well? That'd be too much risk for Gf to gamble on.

Memeber
Reaction score
But what if Stars was a flop, and the remakes didn't sell well? That'd be too much risk for Gf to gamble on.
Really? Pokemon core games have consistently made the top 3-10 selling games for any given Nintendo platform. That seems less likely than a day where a man gets struck by lightning twice, wins the lottery, finds 3 Shiny Pokemon in a row and lands Focus Blast 10 times at the Battle Tree. The stars (heh) would have to align for something like Stars AND the remakes flopping.

EDIT: There is a follow up on the handheld successor thing:

Nintendo President Elaborates On The 3DS Market And Possible Successor - Siliconera

Last edited:
Reaction score
No, it's not. We've had new generations, remakes, and third versions appear at varying points in the hardware's life cycle, it has a minimal effect on sales (at best we see a drop of ~1 million for any game towards the end of the console's life, but that's not really much compared to Pokemon's entire audience). The timing of the games on their hardware has nothing to do with their sales, it's because of the games themselves, there's just more demand for new generations and third versions in general.
except that's not patently true. Platinum is the only modern third version that hasn't appeared at both the end of the generation and the end of the hardware's life. both Emerald and BW2 were released after the DS and 3DS came out respectively. it's not necessarily a function of whether or not "do people like third versions" is a true statement so much as why would people not like third versions.
i mean, the remake would have to be built from the ground up whereas Stars would have the game pretty much done already, only needing to have its resolution increased for the Switch.
Really? Pokemon core games have consistently made the top 3-10 selling games for any given Nintendo platform.
then why are we acting as if Stars being a flop would mean it would be an actual flop and not just relative to the series?

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Really? Pokemon core games have consistently made the top 3-10 selling games for any given Nintendo platform. That seems less likely than a day where a man gets struck by lightning twice, wins the lottery, finds 3 Shiny Pokemon in a row and lands Focus Blast 10 times at the Battle Tree. The stars (heh) would have to align for something like Stars AND the remakes flopping.
I agree with that. I just wrote that becuase Bolt the Cat Bolt the Cat was consistently arguing that Stars won't sell well, and as you mentioned, a core game mostly sells well, it does not matter if it's a remake, or a third version.