• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It doesn't matter which platform it will be on, as long as it's Pokémon, it will be a best seller. A lot of people (including me) bought new phones just for Pokémon GO, too. People are more than willing to spend money to fit the requirements for the games they want to play. Loads of people bought an Xbox One and/or a PS4 too, which both are/were way more expensive than the Switch. Money doesn't stop people from getting their favourite games. It might stop a few people, but not enough to actually make this a flop. Or else companies would've stopped making new consoles a long time ago.

Xbox One Represent.

But yeah people get those consoles regardless of price because there are a lot of games, a lot of really top notch franchises from 3rd parties, and a lot of features.

I think people are overestimating the Switch a bit. It's not going to suddenly bring a bunch of "console gamers" into the fandom. The ones that bought a WiiU likely have a 3DS as well, while out of those who have a PS4 or XB1 only a small percentage that is interested in the portability aspect will buy the Switch, since it can't directly compete with those two.

Inb4 Switch Mini (Only handheld, undetachable controller, no dock station)
I'm hoping for this. They created a cheaper version of the 3DS line, which is the 2DS. It works more or less the same as a regular 3DS (minus the 3D features, which I don't care about). It was popular enough to people who a) didn't want to spend too much money on gaming, and b) weren't keen on buying a 3DS/XL/New when the 3DS line was reaching the end of their brand lives soon. Heck, from what I've heard from online communities it was even a good way for kids to compromise with their parents on getting a cheaper gaming device (since the parents are the ones paying) and still play the games they want. If they ever make a cheaper version of the Switch, it'll definitely appeal to players who want to play a pokemon game but aren't willing to spend too much money on unnecessary fancy features.

Since they see the Switch as a home console first, I highly doubt that we'll be seeing a cheaper version of the Switch.

Since they see the Switch as a home console first, I highly doubt that we'll be seeing a cheaper version of the Switch.

People need to stop saying that. The exact quote is "It is at heart a console that you take on the go." That is an exact definition of a handheld console. It makes no difference what they see it as more, because it is still a complete hybrid no matter if they consider it more console or more handheld. The handheld aspect of the Switch is a complete handheld console. It does everything a usual handheld does, and more. I also think it makes more sense for Nintendo to create a 'mini Switch' than a new handheld. A new handheld console that is seperate from Nintendo Switch makes the entire handheld aspect almost entirely redundant.

The best definition of the switch is a gaming tablet that can connect to a TV.

In mobile mode it's less powerful than Wii u and most other gaming tablets,and slight ly more powerful than a new 3ds which can easily play Wii quality games

In mobile mode it's less powerful than Wii u and most other gaming tablets,and slight ly more powerful than a new 3ds which can easily play Wii quality games

1.How do you exactly define a gaming tablet? It isn't Nintendo's Business to make gaming tablets anyway. Just because Switch minus JoyCons looks like a tablet, it does not become a gaming tablet. By your logic, Wii U's Game Pad is a Gaming Tablet.
2. Switch's most accurate definition is, an underpowered gaming console which has extensive portable features.
OR
A powerful handheld which can also be used as a console.

People need to stop saying that. The exact quote is "It is at heart a console that you take on the go." That is an exact definition of a handheld console. It makes no difference what they see it as more, because it is still a complete hybrid no matter if they consider it more console or more handheld. The handheld aspect of the Switch is a complete handheld console. It does everything a usual handheld does, and more. I also think it makes more sense for Nintendo to create a 'mini Switch' than a new handheld. A new handheld console that is seperate from Nintendo Switch makes the entire handheld aspect almost entirely redundant.
When I first saw the Switch and saw that quote, I just thought of console games being taken on-the-go, aka you can play console games anywhere. This may be one of it's main function, but handheld games coming on there isn't much of a big deal anyways.
And yes I agree that a lot of people misinterpret the quote, even me at one point.

Unless you have a source that states otherwise, I was of the impression that mobile Switch is equal in power to the Wii U.

Yoshiaki Koizumi, Nintendo Switch's Producer, is hoping Nintendo Switch bridges both console & handheld

"Certainly, we've designed Nintendo Switch in a way that it can be used by consumers in the way that best suits them. I think we may see that people who have bought a Nintendo home console in the past traditionally, they may treat Switch like a home console and buy it and use it for a long period of time."

"Whereas people who have been traditionally Nintendo handheld gamers, they may buy Nintendo Switch and then for example, if a new version were to come out later, then maybe they would decide to upgrade to that. Or, for example, because you can take the Joy-Con off the system, then I guess that leaves open the possibility of something else that might get attached. There's obviously a lot of different developments that we could look at from that perspective as well."

"We're hoping that Nintendo Switch will be a system that will be the constant in your gaming life," adds Koizumi. "Whereas previously, you would play certain things on your home system and certain things on your handheld. Our hope is that Nintendo Switch can be the system that bridges both of those and becomes the constant system that you're always using."

Koizumi envisions scenarios in which, say, you wake up in the morning and maybe find some time to play a game on your TV while eating breakfast. Then you bring Switch with you on your morning commute to work or to school. "And then you're coming back home on your commute and maybe you're sitting in the bath enjoying a game," he says. He believes that if Switch can achieve this, then it might hasten the demise of the split between a "home console" versus a "handheld."

Source: The 8 Most Interesting Things Nintendo Told Us About Switch

Hybrid Confirmed. :p

Last edited:
Unless you have a source that states otherwise, I was of the impression that mobile Switch is equal in power to the Wii U.
Nintendo itself says Zelda won't even run at 1080 when in mobile mode,which is Wii u capabilities.

I think it was around 920,that's a decent drop off in power

Nintendo itself says Zelda won't even run at 1080 when in mobile mode,which is Wii u capabilities.

It is 900 on TV, which I think is fairly natural for something which needs to Change from Console to Handheld in less than a second.

Also, Wii U is MILES behind Switch in design. I'll take the sleek switch before that shoddy game pad anytime.

Edit: The information about Wii U version running at 1080 is WRONG.
Well, the two versions have a few key differences. In a statement provided to IGN, Nintendo confirmed that the Switch game will run at 900p on your TV, while the Wii U version will be stuck at 720p.
This is he source Nintendo's Switch won't run 'Zelda' at 1080p

I think it was around 720, that's a decent drop off in power

Nintendo says Switch is running Zelda at 900p, within TV Mode.
No, Wii U doesn't run this game at 1080p. Just 720p.

Wii U = 720p
Switch Handheld Mode (and Tabletop Mode) = 720p
Switch TV Mode = 900p

Last edited:
Yoshiaki Koizumi said:
Whereas people who have been traditionally Nintendo handheld gamers, they may buy Nintendo Switch and then for example, if a new version were to come out later, then maybe they would decide to upgrade to that.
It definitely seems that whatever "pure handheld" they're considering will still fall under the Switch library.

I don't know what makes them think that people would upgrade, though. Who bought a 3DS and then a 2DS? Maybe due to the battery life, I guess.

It definitely seems that whatever "pure handheld" they're considering will still fall under the Switch library.

I don't know what makes them think that people would upgrade, though. Who bought a 3DS and then a 2DS? Maybe due to the battery life, I guess.

Well there are people who rather cut out the middle man when it comes to trading items (Since Bank only allows Pokemon transfers and stuff are too rare or tedious to reclaim like the Power Items and the Destiny Knot. Plus here are gonna be "Limited edition" items like the Megastones,) that people might not want to lose when restarting. A 2nd handheld would be invaluable for this purpose.

I would love a 2DS style version of the Switch (even though I might be more interested in the classic version idk yet)

Last edited:

It does not run at 1080p on Wii.

The Switch, when mobile, is 720p. The Wii U version is also 720p. The only one above 720p is docked Switch at 900p.

EDIT: I see others have also responded. Point still stands.

It does not run at 1080p on Wii.

The Switch, when mobile, is 720p. The Wii U version is also 720p. The only one above 720p is docked Switch at 900p.

EDIT: I see others have also responded. Point still stands.
Still slow, nevertheless.
Who bought a 3DS and then a 2DS?
One main reason why the 2DS was made was because it was targeting younger children, since 3D can be pretty dangerous for them. Also, the new 3DS was made just for a stronger system and less lag.

As far as I can tell the Switch will have its console games play as handhelds, since I'm sure all titles being made for the Switch originated from console (Yes, Fire Emblem originated on the NES). I haven't seen any handheld-exclusive games coming onto the Switch, though there pretty much isn't any besides Pokemon (ignoring its side-games), so we should just wait and see.

One main reason why the 2DS was made was because it was targeting younger children, since 3D can be pretty dangerous for them. Also, the new 3DS was made just for a stronger system and less lag.
I know, but I'm referring to people who "upgraded" from the 3DS to the 2DS, if there even are any. The idea of a handheld-only Switch sounds more akin to the 2DS than the New 3DS.

I know, but I'm referring to people who "upgraded" from the 3DS to the 2DS, if there even are any. The idea of a handheld-only Switch sounds more akin to the 2DS than the New 3DS.
Ok. But only 5 million 2DS's have been sold, so I really doubt people actually switched from 3DS to 2DS. Also, the 2DS wasn't that popular, so that increases my doubt even further

While I'm at it, I found this article:
Here's What Nintendo Has To Say About Rumors Of A 3DS Successor
Trying to bring the topic back to its original arguments, it seems like the 3DS will still have many games coming onto it for the next few years, and the president said that
"As for your question on the Nintendo 3DS, we believe it can coexist with Nintendo Switch for the time being. Nintendo 3DS is a different system from Nintendo Switch in terms of its shape, weight, price and the types and number of currently available software titles. From this perspective, as their very first video game system, I believe parents will opt to choose Nintendo 3DS for their children. So we recognize that Nintendo 3DS as a portable game device meets different needs and fits different markets than Nintendo Switch."
So, in a way, Pokemon Stars has been ruled out, but only for the time being. If we do get a Switch Pokemon game (if Nintendo changes their minds), then it's most likely Generation 8.

Back
Top Bottom