• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So to all the naysayers... have any of you been following the NX rumor cycle, if so you should be well aware wthat Emily Rogers and Eurogamer have a great track record. Also why produce more games for the 3ds? Its past time to move on to better hardware. X and Y were great and Sun and Moon are amazing, but it is very clear that SM are pushing the 3DS (at least the non 'New' Models) to the limit. And Nintendo wants the Switch to be a huge success. I mean really we are talking about a huge jump not just in graphics but content that can be in a pokemon game and a lot of you are against it?

What I hope is they bring back some features they took out this gen, likely due to Sun and Moon already pushing the system so much as is. If its basically the same game but better graphics and a few new Pokemon, I'll probably wait.

So to all the naysayers... have any of you been following the NX rumor cycle, if so you should be well aware wthat Emily Rogers and Eurogamer have a great track record. Also why produce more games for the 3ds? Its past time to move on to better hardware. X and Y were great and Sun and Moon are amazing, but it is very clear that SM are pushing the 3DS (at least the non 'New' Models) to the limit. And Nintendo wants the Switch to be a huge success. I mean really we are talking about a huge jump not just in graphics but content that can be in a pokemon game and a lot of you are against it?
Yeah all these people doubting the switch obviously forgot that even though they would only buy it for generation 8, there will be millions of people lined up for Mario, Smash, splatoon, and Zelda. And let's not forget that a person who opts for the switch over 3DS isn't really a lost sale since the money goes back to the same source regardless. It's like saying someone buying the PC version of skyrim was a lost sale from the Xbox version.

They've been wrong before, especially Emily Rogers. She claimed there was a VC version of Mother 3 and that never happened.

Yeah all these people doubting the switch obviously forgot that even though they would only buy it for generation 8, there will be millions of people lined up for Mario, Smash, splatoon, and Zelda. And let's not forget that a person who opts for the switch over 3DS isn't really a lost sale since the money goes back to the same source regardless. It's like saying someone buying the PC version of skyrim was a lost sale from the Xbox version.

No, no, no, you're not getting the issue here. The problem isn't with people who want the Switch version over the 3DS version. The problem is that most people who were interested in SM would've already gotten it on 3DS and would be less likely to buy it all over again. Putting it on a new console wouldn't change that, in fact it'd be more likely to discourage them even more because it means you have to pay hundreds of dollars for a new console to get it.

The content of pokemon games has always been good but never fantastic and Switch won't change that. Stars makes no sense since Sun is named after a real life sun that we have that is a star itself. Eclipse makes more sense since it is an alignment of both sun and moon.

I think that Europe is just salty about getting SM later than everyone else so they made this in order to lower the hype.

Another source, Laura Dale, for Stars:
Possible%20Switch%20Line-Up.jpg

Check under 2017.

The thread:
m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1317804&page=1

Last edited:
Honestly, I really hope they don't do this. I agree with what everyone has said so far about it being potentially released too soon after Sun and Moon, which would be incredibly demeaning to them. I've really felt that for a while--that ORAS was announced too soon after XY, and then Sun and Moon was announced a short while after. In Sun and Moon's case, I get it, because it's the way they're ending their 20th anniversary--with a brand new set of games that have a lot of new and unique concepts implemented.

On that note, I don't see how it makes sense to release an updated version (Stars) so soon *after* the anniversary year has ended, and the special games everyone has waited for are out. You understand that some people may not even get these games until around Christmas. What on earth would be the point?

I agree that this generation should be kept on one platform. I'm frankly not that excited about the Switch, and don't know when/if I'll ever care about it enough to shell out the money to buy one. For a main-series Pokemon game? It's a selfish marketing tactic. It feels like I just bought the Wii-U (even though it's been a few years now), and I'm not really ready to just drop it for "the next big thing."

1. I think the Stars rumours are fake, to be honest.
2. However, if they are true, and Stars is not fake, and it really is Switch exclusive, I would be very disappointed with Nintendo.
3. However, I would forgive them, and warm up to Stars, if, and only IF, Stars ends up being a sequel of SM, rather than a third version.

4. To put it simple, I won´t be buying the Switch for now, so all I want from Stars, is to not make SM look like an unfinished beta. What I mean, is: GS becomes completely obsolete and inferior due to Crystal, same with RS due to Emerald, and DP due to Platinum... However... this is not the fate of BW and XY. BW, while still inferior as a whole to BW2, is not completely inferior. It still has reasons to be chosen over BW2, like a better plot, different PCs (that I personally prefer), and some other features like Route 10, Challengers Cave, Cold Storage, Victory Road, etc that cannot be found in BW2 at all. So BW doesn´t feel obsolete even after BW2´s creation. And XY, since it never recieved a third version, feels even more unique, and never becomes obsolete either!

5. In short, I want the same treatment that BW or XY got, for SM. Because Iawant to get SM, and I don´t want to feel cheated by GF and Nintendo. And that´s how I would feel if Stars has EVERYTHING that SM has, plus more... That would just suck.

6. To give you an idea of what I would like:

- Stars could be a sequel to SM. Gyms have been built in Alola, replacing the Island Trials (meaning that Trials would be exclusive to SM).
- Some Islands have new areas in Stars, while some old areas seen in SM are now blocked (meaning some locations are SM exclusive)
- New PCs, some new characters are added, some SM characters have left Alola (Colress for example, Looker as well)
- There is some new Villain in the game
- Solgaleo and Lunala are exclusive to SM, since Stars revolves around the third mascot
- The Battle Tree has some new characters added, but some SM ones are now not there (Anabel and Colress have left Alola, Steven, Lance have arrived to Alola)
- the Pokemon League is now well established, and has a new Champion, and the position isn´t vacant, like it was in SM before the Player became the first Champion ever.

- On the other hand, Stars would add Move Tutors once again, and might have a larger Regiona Pokedex than SM (like BW had a bigger Pokedex than BW, although of course, this time it would be a smaller addition).

And so on, and so forth. This would also be more economically beneficial for both Nintendo and GF: leaving some exlusive features to the 3DS games, like a different plot, and trials, could mean people would still have a reason to buy SM, IN ADDITION to purchasing Star for the Switch.

If Game Freak do that, then I would be fine with Stars, I guess. It would be a different Alola game from SM, with some new elements, and some missing elements, leaving both SM and Stars a reason to exist.

I just hope Stars doesn´t re- add Triple and Rotation battles, because this would just make SM look incomplete. Annd I also hope Stars doesn´t add brand new Pokemon (other than Mythicals), because that would just be unfair to 3DS users.

Last edited:
I would buy Stars and a Switch even if Stars is a typical third version. The third versions have been actually great! So Stars could be in that same group.

I am planning to buy a Switch even if Stars isn't real. I also hope that the name stays Stars just to mess with people who say that the sun is a star. :po

I know I mentioned it before, but I'll ask again: What if Pokémon Stars ends up being partially a Yellow throwback with either Ash-Hat Pikachu or Mimikyu as your starter? It could be different enough to what we have been used to with third versions since Crystal.

For the Mimikyu bit, it also helps that that the Fairy Z-Move is Twinkle Tackle which involves stars.

Just saying... Stars is a codename.
Plus, Sun Moon Stars is a Japanese literature/ poetic thing.

Also, anyone remember Robopon at all? Robopon also had Sun, Moon and Stars versions.

The benefits of S&M are obvious. You're paying 40 bucks to get a sneak peek at Alola a year before the definite version comes out on the switch.

The benefits of S&M are obvious. You're paying 40 bucks to get a sneak peek at Alola a year before the definite version comes out on the switch.
If that's what's really happening, then I'm frankly going to be miffed. Sun feels awfully short.

Also, anyone remember Robopon at all? Robopon also had Sun, Moon and Stars versions.
This was the first thing that came to mind when I heard about Stars. Only except it was Sun and Star that were the initial versions.

Stars is definitely fake. For one, a gen 7 game that is put on a different handheld gave it away. Second, Stars makes no sense as a title since Sun is technically a star itself. Eclipse is most logical but then again so was Z and Grey so the title could be unexpected. The next gen 7 games are definitely on 3DS.

First time for everything.

See Robopon.
I don't want them to ever start putting games that are in the middle of a gen on a new platform. That would hurt me and other 3DS users. I do not know what Robopon is.

Back
Top Bottom