• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Then don't play Stars.

No one is forcing you to get it.
But what happens if Stars is real and is better than SM? It makes sense for 3DS users to have access to it in my opinion. Kind of an insult to give 3DS users SM but then not give them Stars if it is on Switch. That is why I hope it isn't real or at least have the part of it being on Switch be false.

This is my opinion though. I don't want to argue about this anymore.

But what happens if Stars is real and is better than SM? It makes sense for 3DS users to have access to it in my opinion. Kind of an insult to give 3DS users SM but then not give them Stars if it is on Switch. That is why I hope it isn't real or at least have the part of it being on Switch be false.

This is my opinion though. I don't want to argue about this anymore.
Platinum is better than Diamond/Pearl and yet I never got a copy of it. I was happy enough with my copy of Diamond. I don't need to get a third version if I don't want it. You get what I'm saying here?

Platinum is better than Diamond/Pearl and yet I never got a copy of it. I was happy enough with my copy of Diamond. I don't need to get a third version if I don't want it. You get what I'm saying here?

What I think Arceus is trying to say is that putting Stars on a seperate console (the Switch) isn't the same as having the third version (Platinum, in your case) on the market for the handheld you already have. You were able to make the decision not to buy Platinum, knowing that it was still available to you, which would not be the case if you needed to buy an entirely separate game system just to play the third installment in a series, if you so chose.

I just realized something. Assuming Stars is real and it doesn't come to the 3DS this wouldn't be the first time Gamefreak went and made third version an exclusive to a different platform as Pokemon Crystal can't be played on the original gameboy unlike Gold and Silver you need either a Gameboy Color or Gameboy Advance to play Crystal. While the Gameboy Color to the original Gameboy family was what the new 3DS is to the 3DS familly there has been split generations on different hardware in the past and if Stars comes to the 3DS i could see it only working on the new 3DS since Sun and Moon have basically gotten everything they can out of the old 3DS.

Stop acting like this leak is real! It's not confirmed!

Please don't tell people what to do. If people want to believe this leak is real, they're very much allowed to. And no one is saying that this leak is real for sure, people keep saying "IF this leak is real, then ...". This thread if for speculating about Pokémon Stars, continually saying "this leak is fake" doesn't make for much discussion, now does it? ;)

Please don't tell people what to do. If people want to believe this leak is real, they're very much allowed to. And no one is saying that this leak is real for sure, people keep saying "IF this leak is real, then ...". This thread if for speculating about Pokémon Stars, continually saying "this leak is fake" doesn't make for much discussion, now does it? ;)
That was about people who see rumors and leaks and immediately believe that it's real.

What I think Arceus is trying to say is that putting Stars on a seperate console (the Switch) isn't the same as having the third version (Platinum, in your case) on the market for the handheld you already have. You were able to make the decision not to buy Platinum, knowing that it was still available to you, which would not be the case if you needed to buy an entirely separate game system just to play the third installment in a series, if you so chose.
Except, here's the thing:

I can choose not to buy a Switch and Stars, or in my case, I can choose to buy a Switch but not bother with Stars since I'm still planning on getting a Switch either way. My point is, if Stars really is a third version then people wouldn't be missing out very much. Maybe it would have improved graphics and a different plot, but it'll otherwise be the same game.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Unlike XY, Sun and Moon feel a lot more complete IMO, especially story wise. Personally I'd just want to have Team Skull backstab Aether earlier on and end up helping you, and to have unlimited battles with the non-E4 Trial Captains and Kahunas as a way of "testing" them for the League.

If this is indeed real it would certainly be quite a big step for Game Freak. I mean I have no doubt Nintendo would really want Game Freak to have a Pokemon game on the Switch as soon as possible but still from what this rumor says that is rather soon... They need some time to figure out how Pokemon would work on it and adapt to the engine and make all new graphics and such. That takes time. I know Nintendo really wants the Switch to be a big success and I do hope to see a Pokemon game on it I have a hard time believing it would happen this soon because of the things I just mentioned.

If Sun and Moon already feel very "complete", then Stars would bring it even closer to completeness. But it wouldn't be complete. I think that it would be the best! :)

If Stars is "better" than SM I think that would pretty much only be because it's on a console that can handle better graphics and more content. The 3DS is being pushed essentially to its limits with SM and they clearly put lots of time and effort into these games. If they make a third version it will need to be a pretty big step up for it to stand out imo, and putting it on a more powerful console is the best way to guarantee that's possible.

have unlimited battles with the non-E4 Trial Captains and Kahunas as a way of "testing" them for the League.
It seems that Nanu, Lana, Ilima and Mina are the only ones that you can´t have unlimited battles against. But yes, it would be very annoying if true (SOMEONE PLEASE CONFIRM IF THERE IS A WAY TO REMATCH THEM).

Other than this, the removal of Triple and Rotation battle (and Inverse Battles) is the only other flaw of SM, imo.

I just hope they don´t re-introduce said battle styles in Stars. That would trigger me a lot.

Maybe for you but I have gotten all the games of gen 4, 5 and 6. Therefore I want the next gen 7 games on 3DS so I can complete the gen 7 series.

As for SM being complete or almost complete, that is false. So far they are good games but they are nowhere near BW and B2W2 standards in my opinion. So there is room for another pair of gen 7 games. Sequels or third version can fix the issues SM has.

I just realized something. Assuming Stars is real and it doesn't come to the 3DS this wouldn't be the first time Gamefreak went and made third version an exclusive to a different platform as Pokemon Crystal can't be played on the original gameboy unlike Gold and Silver you need either a Gameboy Color or Gameboy Advance to play Crystal

While that's true, the Game Boy Color was still backwards compatible with all original Game Boy games, and at the point of Gen 2's release a lot of people already had Game Boy Colors anyway, because the full-color screens were a universe better than the monochrome green. I imagine most people upgraded the moment they could afford it (I did).

That said, Gold and Silver were also made to be compatible with both the original Game Boy, and the Game Boy Color by being programmed with colors available to those who already had Game Boy Colors. So, though you're technically right, the circumstances were a bit different back then as well (and there were more motivating factors towards wanting to upgrade to a GBC besides getting the third version).

I can choose not to buy a Switch and Stars, or in my case, I can choose to buy a Switch but not bother with Stars since I'm still planning on getting a Switch either way. My point is, if Stars really is a third version then people wouldn't be missing out very much. Maybe it would have improved graphics and a different plot.

With all due respect, you're still entirely missing the point.

Then maybe the problem here is that I am not communicating my point clearly enough, which often happens.

The way I see it, Stars is not that big of a deal because it is (allegedly) a third version. The people with 3DS can still get their Gen 7 fix with Sun and Moon, and the people who just want a Switch can get Stars instead. You're not missing out on anything. I guess I'll just leave it at that.

Maybe for you but I have gotten all the games of gen 4, 5 and 6. Therefore I want the next gen 7 games on 3DS so I can complete the gen 7 series.
Well, better start saving up for a Switch either way then. Because the Switch is a hybrid that is going to replace both the Wii U and 3DS, so there are going to be Pokemon games on it. If there is a Gen 8, it'll be on the Switch.

I know it's meant to replace the Wii U (sadly enough), but is it really supposed to be the 3DS's successor as well? It seems like only recently that the New 3DS was released, and while I understand that the aim is for it to be a console/handheld hybrid, can it really aim to fill that role in the portable market? I just don't see it.

Then maybe the problem here is that I am not communicating my point clearly enough, which often happens.

The way I see it, Stars is not that big of a deal because it is (allegedly) a third version. The people with 3DS can still get their Gen 7 fix with Sun and Moon, and the people who just want a Switch can get Stars instead. You're not missing out on anything. I guess I'll just leave it at that.

Well, better start saving up for a Switch either way then. Because the Switch is a hybrid that is going to replace both the Wii U and 3DS, so there are going to be Pokemon games on it. If there is a Gen 8, it'll be on the Switch.
That won't work. What about 3DS users who want to use Star? GF wouldn't do that to the fans. So Switch is likely to get gen 8 as the first main series games on it.

I know it's meant to replace the Wii U (sadly enough), but is it really supposed to be the 3DS's successor as well? It seems like only recently that the New 3DS was released, and while I understand that the aim is for it to be a console/handheld hybrid, can it really aim to fill that role in the portable market? I just don't see it.

I'm sure the 3DS will be supported as long as people continue to buy it, but I honestly think the Switch will be the killer of the DS line.

Honestly I'm not sure I can play Stars. I really enjoyed playing Sun, but this is definitely one of the deepest games in terms of story in the entire game series.

I see the Switch as the handheld tablet device that you can use on your television. So it's more of a handheld than a console.

Back
Top Bottom