• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But then we'll have another Gen VI situation where the game was shiny. It lacked substance though. Rather test the Switch with a third version than jump right into the deep end with Gen VIII.

Stars will be main game and a third version and real.
They don't have to test the switch. And no, Stars is not real.

For goodness sake, not this again.

The goal with Stars is not to sell Pokémon, it does that on practically its own. The goal is selling the Switch, which is a shiny new console Nintendo has to get off the ground.

Why do people assume there's some sort of rule about third versions being on the same console? There is no such rule, thinking there is is just appealing to tradition ("It was always this way, therefore it will stay this way"), which was considered a logical fallacy even before the pattern first broke in Gen V.

Did X/Y alienate fans who lacked 3DS's? You need a 3DS to play them, and the DS had more players while the 3DS needed to sell since it wasn't doing as great as it currently is at the time. Should XY have been limited to outdated hardware simply because people didn't want to buy 3DS's? Should Stars have to be limited to dated hardware because people didn't want to buy Switches?

What makes intergen and intragen splits so different? Both are moving to a new system to sell it.
Difference is XY was the start of a whole new gen. We talking about putting the rest of gen 7 on a new handheld which will be very inconvenient for some. It is better to keep gen 7 on 3DS and introduce gen 8 on the Switch.

They don't have to test the switch. And no, Stars is not real.

Difference is XY was the start of a whole new gen. We talking about putting the rest of gen 7 on a new handheld which will be very inconvenient for some. It is better to keep gen 7 on 3DS and introduce gen 8 on the Switch.
And how is being in a new gen any different/more convenient? You still have to buy a console for a game.

Again, how is intragen somehow magically less convenient than intergen?

We're here for speculation about games, and not about users. This has been a recurring problem which needs to stop. If people do not like the arguments that other users make, then they should learn to ignore those users. Reporting of abusive/trolling users is fine, going into business for yourself because someone is simply "annoying" will get you infracted and/or banned. Everytime someone makes a post about a user and not the games, than they are providing even less worth and relevancy than the user they are complaining about.

Now let's get back to the speculation.

Wouldn't a brand new generation on a new console be just as irksome? People still have to buy a new console for the title.

As for...the "rest" of Gen VII, we don't even know what Stars is, and as you said yourself, we don't even know if it's real. This is all based on the assumption that Stars isn't just a codename for a Sun/Moon port. If it is just a HD porting of the games then you won't be missing out on anything more than graphical/sound improvements.

GF have jumped console mid gen before, I don't see why it's a huge deal.

GF have jumped console mid gen before, I don't see why it's a huge deal.
I wouldn't call the Crystal situation that. Anyone who wasn't playing GS on the GBC was missing out to begin with; they were GBC games.

In contrast, Sun and Moon aren't even really n3DS-enhanced, and they will be unplayable on the Switch. So the transition is a pretty big deal, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.

And how is being in a new gen any different/more convenient? You still have to buy a console for a game.

Again, how is intragen somehow magically less convenient than intergen?
It is different because you are not separating a gen when putting a whole new generation on a new handheld. Yes, we will have to buy a new console eventually but I don't like the idea of half the gen moved onto a new console. Putting a whole new gen on a new handheld is fine but I am not okay with gen 7 getting split between two handhelds. That was one thing I disliked about the Red/Blue Mystery Dungeon games.

It is different because you are not separating a gen when putting a whole new generation on a new handheld. Yes, we will have to buy a new console eventually but I don't like the idea of half the gen moved onto a new console. Putting a whole new gen on a new handheld is fine but I am not okay with gen 7 getting split between two handhelds. That was one thing I disliked about the Red/Blue Mystery Dungeon games.
I can't see why Game Freak would take "the seperation of a Gen" into the equation when it comes down to releasing a new game. It's all about selling units, nothing more, nothing less. To me, the term Generation is nothing more then a method to specify certain games, not an officially fixed border of time and/or console.

Switch being able to directly emulate 3DS or Wii U software doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since the system is designed to play single screened.

There were Wii U games that didn't make use of the second screen, though.

What makes intergen and intragen splits so different? Both are moving to a new system to sell it.

Two things:

1. Main games are proven to sell much more than third versions, so they bring a much bigger audience to the console. It's just a much safer bet for this purpose.
2. Splitting up a generation between different hardware makes communication between those games more complicated, if not impossible. Don't expect anything more than Bank support between SM and Stars.

Gen VII are outweighed by potential market by ten fold. It would be naive to think that Pokemon can rely on Gen VII fans or fans of Gen 6 and stuff. If they are alienated by a potential bigger market then that's life.

You mean the fanbase that's 15+ million big? Yeah, that's not a reliable market at all.

Hm... someone before tried arguing that Stars can't be a thing because Necrozma is the prism Pokémon. Well, we know Stars is just a codename for now. I could actually see it being called Pokémon prism or something (lol maybe rainbow XD ). That would be a cool connection. The sun radiates light, the moon reflects light, and a prism refracts light. Idk, I have nothing else to add to this discussion
Rainbow was the code for Sun and Moon I think. Prism would make sense, since it fits into the light equation I guess if you want to call it that haha. It could be anything though. So many of us thought Gray and Z would happen, though they didn't. We got Black 2 and White 2, then no 3rd game for Kalos.

Two things:

1. Main games are proven to sell much more than third versions, so they bring a much bigger audience to the console. It's just a much safer bet for this purpose.
2. Splitting up a generation between different hardware makes communication between those games more complicated, if not impossible. Don't expect anything more than Bank support between SM and Stars.
1. Even though third versions don't sell as much as the initial pair, they do sell. 7.5 m sales (Black 2/White 2) is in no way a flop.
2. We do not know anything about the Switch's ability to communicate wirelessly with the 3DS. While this may be an issue, we do not know enough about the Nintendo Switch to fully deem it such.

Well I would to like throw another idea into the Pot'o'ideas.

Pokemon Stars is a code-name I've heard. We have the third Legendary Necrozma, which is an all black Pokemon. We have the Sun Pokemon Solgaleo, and the Moon Pokemon Lunala. In terms everyone should known is when the moon crosses orbit over the sun, a Eclipse happens. And I firmly believe that Necrozma is the Eclipse Pokemon, cause of it's all black appearance.

But I'm not just saying Pokemon Eclipse should be the name of game(though the name sounds really cool when you say it aloud). There are two types of Eclipses; Solar Eclipses that happen during the day, and Lunar Eclipses that happen at night. You see where I'm going here?

Pokemon Solar Eclipse, and Pokemon Lunar Eclipse. Make two sequel games, where Necrozma gets a new forms based on the two Eclipses.

Those are just my thoughts though on the Code-named Pokemon Stars.

Last edited:
Abandoning the 3DS would be suicide, considering that it's one of the best selling consoles ever. Just for the record, the 3DS's sales are 6x the XBox One's sales (60 million for the 3DS, 1o million for the XBox One).

Abandoning the 3DS would be suicide, considering that it's one of the best selling consoles ever. Just for the record, the 3DS's sales are 6x the XBox One's sales (60 million for the 3DS, 1o million for the XBox One).
The Wii sold better than the 3DS did, and yet there hasn't been a new Wii game in years.

The Wii sold better than the 3DS did, and yet there hasn't been a new Wii game in years.
The Wii is old and outdated now that the Wii U and Switch exist. The 3DS is still being produced and, unlike the Wii U, there's been no confirmation that the 3DS will be replaced.

I am more leaning towards a codename with the whole Stars leaks like Rainbow for SM(now we could speculate on what Stars should reference in RL).

Also releasing a simple third version in under a year after SM would immidiately kill the selling numbers for SM which would be the most horrible decision they would ever have done.

I am more leaning towards a codename with the whole Stars leaks like Rainbow for SM(now we could speculate on what Stars should reference in RL).

Also releasing a simple third version in under a year after SM would immidiately kill the selling numbers for SM which would be the most horrible decision they would ever have done.
Yes. Third versions are usually put off until several years after the original's release. If Stars existed, no one would buy SM because "why buy this 3DS game with lots of graphics problems when there's a better version for the Switch with no problems at all?"

Back
Top Bottom