• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not taking our word for lag means you are calling us liars. We are either telling the truth or we are lying, and you clearly do not think we are telling the truth. Sm has lag in double battles. I suggest you go and play a double battle right now, and if you see no lag, I then suggest you go see an optometrist. I am not calling you a name, I am stating you are wrong, which you are. Remember that everything you post is visible to everyone here. Everyone can see you saying there is no lag in Pokémon Sun and Moon. I do not need to continue the discussion on lag, as everyone here knows you are wrong on this particular subject anyway, so I shall discontinue this discussion so that others feel free to continue other discussions.
No it isn't. I can choose to not believe people without calling them liars. Already did a double battle and no lagging found. It is you that is wrong.

I can't help but feel that Pokemon on the Switch will look better than this, though this does look nice.
I am mostly excited to be able to play Pokémon on the television in HD, as well as portably, whenever we want, whether that be with Pokémon Stars or Get VIII.

I remember back in the era of the Gamecube, they had an add on that let us play Game Boy Advance titles on television. I remember playing either Pokémon Sapphire or Pokémon Emerald on it. I loved having a larger screen to play on, and being able to play a Pokémon title in HD specified for television as well as portably, will be amazing.

In my opinion, pokemon main series games on TV is one of the worst things GF can do. It just looks awful when not on handheld and I sincerely hope Stars or whatever never gets that option in my opinion.

When was the reveal of ORAS? I think that's a safe bet whether things will be confirmed or not

In my opinion, pokemon main series games on TV is one of the worst things GF can do. It just looks awful when not on handheld and I sincerely hope Stars or whatever never gets that option in my opinion.
Well.. Switch is a console+handheld HYBRID. Switch is supporting 1080p (TV, Docked) and 720p (Handheld).
Stars and/or Gen VIII are Pokemon Main Series games on BOTH handheld and TV.

I'm definitely excited for something like this. Colosseum was my first Pokémon game that I got to save for myself (as opposed to Yellow which was my sister's so I couldn't save), and so playing a new story on the big screen will definitely bring back some nice memories. I'm hoping they'll have a feature allowing 2 consoles to link up on one television like when you battled friends on Colo or Pokémon Battle Revolution. The fact that it's simultaneously home console AND portable device is my favorite part about the Switch, and I think it's perfect for Pokémon. I don't even care if it's a Sun/Moon rehash or something new entirely. Simply being on Switch will make me really get hyped.

edit: found this from a thread on gaf, thought it'd be worth posting. Sun/Moon in 1080p on a PC with the lines removed. Sadly not real time footage, but interesting to see what an upscaled/more detailed Sun/Moon (or Stars) could look like.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbxQXwwURPY

I've seen some wifi battles in this style after it was discovered how to apply it to recorded videos, mostly by keeping up with shofu. It looks pretty amazing and it gets me excited about what Pokemon on the Switch could look like.

A big part of this being the removal of the outlines it really reminds me of what happened with Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U wherein the handheld version had thicker outlines around the characters compared to the console version. Some of the reasons for this was so that the character could stand out more and are easier to keep track of on the smaller screen. If there were similar reasons for keeping the outlines for Sun and Moon when we know how great the game looks when they're off, then one could assume that Stars would implement this style instead. Of course if we have a similar situation here with Pokemon Stars the latter reason wouldn't really apply since this series isn't as action focused as Smash. The former though does still hold some weight seeing as with how vibrant and dynamic the backgrounds are it can be difficult to distinguish the shape of some Pokemon. It's not really something that would be a common problem though as it's more of an all Moltres Triple battle kind of deal. It's basically something one could expect to see from Pokemon going to a bigger screen judging from what information we have.

Another discover that was made from digging into the game that may hold some more relevance now is the walking animations for Pokemon. With what that tweet posted earlier in the thread said about Stars being something along the lines of Yellow version, it has made me wonder if this could be some low key way of hinting at Pokemon following you returning with Stars. It really depends on how much that person saw or knows about Stars which is probably very little or nothing other than that the game exists in some capacity.

Last edited:
it has made me wonder if this could be some low key way of hinting at Pokemon following you returning with Stars.
That was one of my thoughts, considering Pikachu followed you in Yellow. Plus, the dataminers did find models for every Pokemon and their walking and running animations, which does make me think they might have planned on it, though couldn't due to some limitations or something.

I'm going to be dissapointed at the lack of scale.

Having a 30 foot tall scale model celesteela following would be so dope.

I've seen some wifi battles in this style after it was discovered how to apply it to recorded videos, mostly by keeping up with shofu. It looks pretty amazing and it gets me excited about what Pokemon on the Switch could look like.

Aw man, that footage from Shofu is beautiful. Xurkitree looks sick!
I'm shocked that the 3DS was capable of holding these models. They were in LQ on the 3DS, sure, but still.

I'm going to be dissapointed at the lack of scale.

Having a 30 foot tall scale model celesteela following would be so dope.

This is why I kindof hope we don't have following Pokemon available to all of the Pokemon. Having larger Pokemon like Celesteela, Wailord & Rayquaza follow you would be problematic to program. That said...if they could do it, then go for it.

It is going to happen whether you like it or not. Even if Gen VIII are the first games on Switch, they will be playable on the television screen as well as handheld. And there is no reason why Gamefreak making a Pokémon game is the worst thing they could do when it is just as much portable. Also, don't forget that the portable screen of the Nintendo Switch is single screen and not two screens, so it doesn't make that much of a difference between playing one a single screen and playing on a larger single screen.

Playing Pokemon on one screen has been done before. Guess they are returning to Pokemon's hardware roots. :p

And you're in luck due to the hybrid nature of the Switch you can play it in portable mode all the time but the games will still be made with TV in mind. Think progressive, we as human-beings won't evolve if we keep holding onto to past/current things. It's same with hardware there is better tech (the Switch) out there that will allow GF to do stuff they couldn't do on the 3DS or previous platforms due to limitations.

My god, these 1080p videos really make the Pokemon shine. The game's cell-shaded style looks amazing in this resolution, plus removal of the black lines makes everything look even better. Everything's so crispy and amazing. ;-;

This is why I kindof hope we don't have following Pokemon available to all of the Pokemon. Having larger Pokemon like Celesteela, Wailord & Rayquaza follow you would be problematic to program. That said...if they could do it, then go for it.

Even if scale may be an issue, I feel that it would leave a bad taste in people's mouths if only some Pokemon could follow you. I really hope they do plan on bringing it back and so you can walk with any Pokemon.

I know I'd be sad if the feature returned and I could only walk around with Pikachu clones and other tiny-to-middle-to-human-size-maybe Pokes.

Yes, it's a dent. It will hurt Stars' credibility. I don't think he would say that if Stars (or a Switch Pokemon game) is in development.

Back
Top Bottom