• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It does seem like a logical way to get the Kantonian forms. My concern is if people will interpret it as more Gen 1 pandering, or if said potential accusations become a developer fear that may have them exclude making Kanto.

It does seem like a logical way to get the Kantonian forms. My concern is if people will interpret it as more Gen 1 pandering, or if said potential accusations become a developer fear that may have them exclude making Kanto.

I hope they don't base their decisions on whether or not people will accuse them of anything. I want developers to do what they think is best for their games without having to worry about whining about it simply because they don't like it. No matter what they do or don't do, someone isn't going to like the decision. I hope they push past that and do what they feel is right for the series.

If somehow we got to return to Kanto, I'd really like to return to Johto as well. I mean, Johto is literally connected to Kanto.
Do you mean a Kanto game separate to SM? Because three regions in one games is too much even for the Switch in my opinion. I, however, would want to see a return to Sinnoh. As for Kalos, there isn't really anything to do with it in my opinion. Although I take Kalos over Kanto any time.

If the rumor comes true, my wishes:
-1080p x 60fps (Docked), 720p x 60fps (Portable)
-No outline
-Bring Back Triple Battle and Rotation Battle
-Bring Back Pokemon Following from HG/SS (If you don't want Pokemon Following, just disable this feature option)
-Updated Alola Pokedex
-Better Story Elements (Explain: Emerald's and Platinum's story elements were way better than R/S and D/P)
-More Post-Game Contents (Reuniting with Lillie, Gym Battles in Alola, etc)
-Three Worlds (Go to Ultra Wormhole at Altar to visit another world)
---Stars World; Normal Time; Half of Sun-Exclusive Pokemon and Half of Moon-Exclusive Pokemon
---Sun World; Permanent Day; All Sun-Exclusive Pokemon
---Moon World; Permanent Night; All Moon-Exclusive Pokemon
-New Megas and New Exclusive Z-Moves
-More Customization (New clothes, new pants, new shoes, etc)
-New Characters (Like Scott and Frontier Brains in Emerald, Looker and TG Scientist in Platinum)
-More Characters in Battle Tree
-Move Tutors

Last edited:
REALLY LONG POST INCOMING. I apologize in advance lol
I haven't really put any of my thoughts in on this subject as we are still a decent amount of time away from even a chance of them hinting at a new game and also the fact that Sun and Moon have just come out, but after seeing the interview with Masuda and also reading the Eurogamer article from last month in more or less full I have some thoughts. I would say that it is best to be cautious, BUT given both Eurogamer and Emily Rogers track record it can't be written off as fake. There seems to be a lot of 100% fake or 100% real going around, but I'm not sure that's the best way to look at this rumor. We have absolutely no way of know what kind of game Stars will be. It's supposedly a main series game in some way, but Masuda seems to suggest that GameFreak in general has not yet started working on any games for the Switch. I would say that the title of the article that talks about the interview is a bit more accurate than any literal translations of what he said. For all intents and purposes the Switch is in fact part handheld. Yes Nintendo has stated that they have no intention of stopping production of the 3DS, but that's only due to the fact that they can still make money off of it even after the Switch comes out. For the first time GF is put in a very interesting spot. Nintendo has had two different systems for them to decide to to create their content on. This time going forward GF will no longer have a choice. Once the 3DS is gone they will be forced to put their content on whatever is available to them. In a way they are lucky as Nintendo seems to want to keep the "handheld" aspect relevant while at the same time compacting their resources.

Now, when it comes to whether Stars is real or not I'm more inclined to believe Eurogamer more than Masuda and for a good reason. At this time GF's one and only focus is and should be on SuMo. That's what they just released and that's what they're gonna talk about. It'd be counter productive if they dropped the games and then started talking about their next project immediately after. I don't believe the sentiments behind Masuda's cautiousness is fake, but I don't believe he's showing his full hand either. Naturally as a news site that has leaked info before Eurogamer has no such reason to keep info. Obviously they might not have all the information, but they certainly have no reason NOT to say what they know. So with that said I believe that Stars is in fact some sort of main series game

I think the final thing we need to think about is whether Stars will be what we are expecting. I've seen people speculating that it might be a regular 3rd game, an HD version of SuMo, a sequel of some kind, or even some kind of off shoot that ties into SuMo, but has a different story. I believe that those are all very possible, but I also believe that GF has us once again thinking a bit too small. We've been given curve ball after curve ball the past 4-5 years. I used to think GF was more or less predictable, but in these past years they've become very unpredictable. I believe that whatever Stars is it'll align with what both Eurogamer and Masuda have said and that it'll very much be something no one has thought of. The definition of "generation" has been slowly been getting softer in my opinion so whatever comes next will surely be very new. Anyway those are my thoughts. I apologize for such a long post hahaha

Last edited:
So, Starts is most likely fake after the Masuda interview. The 3DS is in for its last Pokemon game ever before it's discontinued.

So, Starts is most likely fake after the Masuda interview. The 3DS is in for its last Pokemon game ever before it's discontinued.
Not "most likely". For all we know, Masuda could be trying to hide something for now. It's all up in the air.

Like I said in my post above, I believe that it wouldn't be in GF's best interest to talk about a new project so soon after their most recent games came out. It's entirely possible that he is intentionally being misleading. Only time will tell. What he's said seems to point more so at their cautiousness rather than their NOT being a game at all. It's the first time they've had to make a game that would be on not only a handheld, but also a regular console. With the most recent Trademark/Patents that were found to be filed back in June stating that there are in fact modes for both console and handheld (no freaking duh right?) I'd say it's only a matter of time. The 3DS can only do so much and it's tech is defintely getting outdated. While it's not typically in GF's nature to jump straight to the newest console the same year it's been released the timeline has also been slightly skewed anyway. It used to be that the games would come out not long after the release of the consoles (at least a year or more after) but at that point an entire generation could very well be confined to a single handheld easily without having the system be getting on in years too much. It all really started with gen 4 and 5 being on the same system and now gen 6 and 7. With XY being released a few years after the 3DS made it's initial mark and now SuMo coming out pretty late into it's lifespan it only makes sense they'd be getting ready to jump to the next system. Honestly the only reason people are freaking out about this is the fact that the Switch is such a difference from what we're used to. If a regular handheld had been announced as well then nobody would second guess Pokemon moving to it. It's only the fact that the Switch works as both a regular console AND a handheld that is making people get weird. The idea of not wanting Pokemon to move to a new system just because people don't want to spend the money isn't a knew thought and it also isn't a very good one either. Time marches ever forward after all lol

When a new piece of information surfaces, you're very quick to jump to the conclusion that Stars is real or fake. It's not really that simple. Leaks can confirm things that can still be changed in the future. Interviews can contain words chosen carefully to avoid an accidental reveal. Just enjoy the existential limbo and speculate what stars could be about, cuz until the next entry in the series is officially revealed, we can't say for sure that stars is 100% fake or real.

One more thing I'd like to say that has to do with the interview. It's highly unlikely that GF aren't already working on the next game(s). The wait and see attitude that Masuda seems to be trying to push out in that interview makes little sense as while developing a game they would need to be very decisive about which system they are making a game for. To kind of bend the meaning of the old Yoda saying, "Do or do not, there is no try." This meaning that GF will or will not make a game for the Switch. Wait and see isn't something game developers can do while at the same time staying up on the current tech. Eventually Pokemon will have to move from the 3DS to the next thing. It'll happen sooner or later and there is no doubt there. Unless GF decides to stop making Pokemon(GOD I HOPE NOT! LOL) they will have to make due with what Nintendo gives them system wise.

One more thing I'd like to say that has to do with the interview. It's highly unlikely that GF aren't already working on the next game(s). The wait and see attitude that Masuda seems to be trying to push out in that interview makes little sense as while developing a game they would need to be very decisive about which system they are making a game for. To kind of bend the meaning of the old Yoda saying, "Do or do not, there is no try." This meaning that GF will or will not make a game for the Switch. Wait and see isn't something game developers can do while at the same time staying up on the current tech. Eventually Pokemon will have to move from the 3DS to the next thing. It'll happen sooner or later and there is no doubt there. Unless GF decides to stop making Pokemon(GOD I HOPE NOT! LOL) they will have to make due with what Nintendo gives them system wise.
Two things I want to correct in this because they are often overlooked in these discussions.

1. It's not highly unlikely, it's flat out impossible that GF are not currently working on something (almost certainly a Pokemon games unless they want more horse poker). This is their job, their employment. The devs and artists and coders can't just take a year off from work like that. As soon as development on one project ends almost every department changes to the next project. And more than likely with a company that has multiple dev teams they been working on the next project for some time.

2. A lot of people seem to think that once development is started for a specific system that it has to stay on this system, but that is also not the case. This is how you can have multi-platform ports. And Yooka-Laylee just announced they were no longer developing for the Wii U and are switching gears to the *ahem* Switch. This doesn't mean they have to start over, they just need to rework their engine and code for the Switch's hardware. And Switch Devkits have been out for a while.

Two things I want to correct in this because they are often overlooked in these discussions.

1. It's not highly unlikely, it's flat out impossible that GF are not currently working on something (almost certainly a Pokemon games unless they want more horse poker). This is their job, their employment. The devs and artists and coders can't just take a year off from work like that. As soon as development on one project ends almost every department changes to the next project. And more than likely with a company that has multiple dev teams they been working on the next project for some time.

2. A lot of people seem to think that once development is started for a specific system that it has to stay on this system, but that is also not the case. This is how you can have multi-platform ports. And Yooka-Laylee just announced they were no longer developing for the Wii U and are switching gears to the *ahem* Switch. This doesn't mean they have to start over, they just need to rework their engine and code for the Switch's hardware. And Switch Devkits have been out for a while.

I don't disagree with what you've said. It's incredibly possible for developers to switch consoles part way through development given the right circumstances. I was just saying that there needs to be a certain standard for what they are making and they need to have an idea of what kind of system they are making the game for. Otherwise they may end up with incompatible resources in some areas. I will say that making a game for the Wii U and switching to *ahem* the Switch is a bit different than making a game for the 3DS and going to the switch. At least a little anyway. The Wii U is already an HD outputting system so it's probably not all that hard to make the jump. The 3DS, while decent in some areas, is incredibly lacking when it comes to sharpness of graphics. The models of the game are in HD I will say so I'm sure it's not impossibly hard to change development, but it's probably harder than going from an HD console to another HD console. Either way I agree with you completely. Just saying they need an idea of where they're going in order to actually start development and arent' going to wait and see before making the game(s) lol

I want the exp points gaining to be restored. How we level up our pokemon is absolute trash in my opinion. Gen 6 had it right so I can't see why gen 7 would regress this much.

I want the exp points gaining to be restored. How we level up our pokemon is absolute trash in my opinion. Gen 6 had it right so I can't see why gen 7 would regress this much.
Having both would be ideal. There are those like you, who preferred the XY version of it, as well as those who want to easily grind to 100. Then there are those like me, who actually enjoyed the challenge. I turned my exp. share off a couple times cuz I felt the game was becoming just a tad too easy. Really though, there's no way to please everyone in this regard. They COULD re-implement the difficulty setting from BW2, or rework how the exp. share functions yet again, but I feel like those aren't very likely to happen.

Back
Top Bottom