• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You can get your own Cosmog at one point, so I don't see why they couldn't alter that event so you didn't need to have Nebby. Personally, I think Nebby should have gone along with Lillie as well. I just don't understand why we end up catching Nebby, after the game spent all that time showing Lillie as Nebby's caretaker and trying go keep it safe.

I think the game operates under the assumption that Pokemon want to battle for a trainer, and even though Lillie is going to try and become one in Kanto, she feels like you will be able to utilize its power better

You can get your own Cosmog at one point, so I don't see why they couldn't alter that event so you didn't need to have Nebby. Personally, I think Nebby should have gone along with Lillie as well. I just don't understand why we end up catching Nebby, after the game spent all that time showing Lillie as Nebby's caretaker and trying go keep it safe.

I think the game operates under the assumption that Pokemon want to battle for a trainer, and even though Lillie is going to try and become one in Kanto, she feels like you will be able to utilize its power better

I think it's just so you have trade fodder so you don't have to give up your box mascot for the other one. I doubt Game Freak really came up with an in-universe reason for this.

However, I would say that having Lillie be with Nebby in the open makes it likely for someone Lillie doesn't know or trust to capture Nebby. She probably still lacks the confidence to think herself capable of keeping Nebby safe, and she knows that your character will keep Nebby safe and happy. Basically, I believe Lillie's entrusting you with Nebby until the day where she's confident and competent enough to properly train a legendary.

This is still just speculation however, and I don't think Game Freak thought about that. They probably were only concerned about players having to give up one mascot for the other one. Therefore, Lillie keeping Nebby in Stars and you getting the other mascot seems feasible enough for a third version in my eyes.

I think you're ignoring the intentionality behind using Nebby in that role though. Nebby wasn't just the power source, it was the mechanism. And later Solgaleo/Lunala are the only creatures we see capable of opening an Ultra Wormhole. There's clearly meant to be a connection between them and Ultra Space, it's not just a "oh by the way they can do this" sort of deal. And then we have a legendary who also appears to have some connection with Ultra Beasts.

My point is that giving Solgaleo/Lunala the role of Ultra Wormhole opener is exactly that, it's incidental to their identity as emissary of the sun/moon and doesn't really inherently fit their identity. What about a sun/moon themed legendary screams "wormhole to another dimension"?

After Game Freak proved they can in fact tell a coherent and engaging story with legitimate twists, I would be shocked if they didn't follow up on the three of them in a future game. I don't think we can use previous game traditions and tendencies to determine exactly what this role will be, because Sun and Moon broke so many of those already especially when it comes to plot.

Did it really? What exactly was unconventional about SM's plot? You still had an evil team seeking the game's mascot (technically), you had the same character tropes, the core storyline structure hasn't really changed all that much. The only thing that's really different is that you encounter the mascot early, and even then, it's an NPC and not a Pokemon you can obtain until the usual point in the game so that's not really a major twist on the storyline.

So on the topic of Zygarde, yeah, they could have/should have handled it better, definitely. They teased us with it for months in CoroCoro just to have it be a little sidequest thing you can opt into. But Gen 6 was a mess and I think they knew that, so if they were going to be making new games with new Pokémon anyway I think focusing primarily on the new rather than the old was a good choice. The Zygarde cells are basically just leftovers from a plot that was going nowhere, but there are still so many possibilities with Cosmog and Necrozma so it would be a shame for them not to follow up on that.

I couldn't disagree more, and this is my biggest problem with the whole situation. Sweeping Gen 6 under the rug instead of cleaning up their mess makes them completely untrustworthy, how can you get excited for the next game if it could very easily be a one and done mediocre turd like XY? They definitely jumped the shark on this one, this is a drastic drop in quality for them.

Sorry, but no. Lillie wants to keep Cosmog out of Lusamine's hands because it's a living creature and Lusamine doesn't care that it has to die in order to open the portal. Lillie isn't principally concerned with merely keeping Lusamine from going to Ultra Space, because that in itself doesn't harm anybody. If it only required some inanimate McGuffin, the storyline would have to be rewritten. Lillie would lose the parallel to Gladion stealing Type: Null for similar empathetic reasons, and she'd have to object to Lusamine's goal for different reasons rather than the protection of a living being, and the scene where we save Nebby from the Spearow would be out ("Oh no! I dropped my Wormhole Key on the bridge and those Spearow are going to mercilessly fly away with it!"), which subsequently necessitates a change in the circumstances of our encounter with Tapu Koko.

Ridiculous example yeah, but it doesn't specifically have to be Nebby, it could be any living creature and the plot would still remain the same.

Speaking in terms of general principle here. I have an easier time letting something like Zygarde's situation slide because the dynamic is exceedingly easy to infer anyway. Whereas a less-clearly-associated Pokémon could be any number of things, and there's just no way to know until they give us more information to work with.

Exact opposite for me. If they go through the trouble of hinting towards something, I want them to follow through with it. Zygarde's been shoved in our face so much that of course it's disappointing they didn't do anything with it. That's like if your parents ask you what you want for Christmas and then get you nothing. Yeah, technically they didn't promise you anything, but it defeats the purpose of asking if you're not going to follow up, disappointment is the only natural reaction to that. Whereas something like Necrozma was never really given any concrete connection to the legendaries.

In fact, what if Necrozma isn't a mascot at all and Zygarde is instead? Now that would be surprising, and it would make sense. In SM, Zygarde is theorized to have come to Alola to deal with an impending threat, presumably the Ultra Beasts. Zygarde could easily take a prominent role in the plot in that way, and it would make more sense in that role than Necrozma would since it already represents the environment, or to put it another way, Earth. Zygarde actually makes more sense for a connection to Solgaleo/Lunala than Necrozma does right now.

It could be that, but as you say, in most previous cases they gave us plenty of clues to work with. Necrozma's sitting at about where Giratina was - we know it comes from a parallel dimension and shares traits with other important Pokémon, but people had lots of guesses about how Giratina pertained to Dialga and Palkia exactly. It representing antimatter actually was somewhat unexpected, if I recall. I seem to remember it representing death was one of the leading theories.

Hell, a fair number of people weren't convinced that it'd actually end up being Giratina on the box.

I seem to recall quite a bit of speculation on Giratina representing antimatter actually.

My point is that giving Solgaleo/Lunala the role of Ultra Wormhole opener is exactly that, it's incidental to their identity as emissary of the sun/moon and doesn't really inherently fit their identity. What about a sun/moon themed legendary screams "wormhole to another dimension"?

It's thematically linked together. The sun and the moon don't come from the world; they exist separately in space, and yet they do influence our world. It's the same for Solagelo and Lunala. They're not of this world, but they are able to create wormholes from the space in which they exist in order to come influence things on Earth.

If anything, it's their role as "emissaries" that is incidental to their ability to open wormholes. The emissary thing is hardly mentioned in the games at all, whereas their ability to open wormholes is exactly why they're being sought. They don't even need to be separate Pokémon at all - they could be combined, lose the solar/lunar-themed designs, and just be a very powerful Ultra Beast that appeared in Alola's history. That's what about them can be replaced or rewritten with little consequence.

Last edited:
You know if Stars is a thing, that might possibly make it the 3rd set of games to have sequels (and the 2nd of which with sequels in the same generation). The last two cases of sequels games involved changes to the League. Gold and Silver had Lance become Champion and Koga and Will become Elite 4 Members. While Black/White 2 had iris replace Alder as the champion.

Why do I bring this up? Well Kukui clearly intended for the Elete 4 of Alola to be literally, the Big Kahunas. But his plan hit 2 snags. One of which being that Poni didn't have a Kahuna at the time he started requiting the Kahunas, as Hapu wasn't chosen yet. Which meant that he had to ask Kahili to fill in the mean time (Acerola's position was due to Nanu flat out refusing. This might make it more difficult). So under the assumption that Stars is a sequel. That might mean Hapu might be in the Elite 4.

I think that while I do think Prism is a potential title and made more likely by the C&D, Prism did receive a lot of attention by ROM hack standard.

Nintendo's pretty picky with their IP's too. I don't think a hack that received as much attention as Prism did would slip by their radar at all. They're not ZUN nor will they ever be.

The other option is Eclipse, which I really hope isn't the game name. It would be too obvious and not very surprising. :/

We have to remember that Stars is a codename, and it could be a codename for Prism. Also its been a whole week without a major argument over how real or how fake this potential game is, so yay!

It seems to fit the naming convention a little too much for it to be a "codename". I want to know if we have any codenames for the previous 3rd version games or BW2?

It seems to fit the naming convention a little too much for it to be a "codename". I want to know if we have any codenames for the previous 3rd version games or BW2?
The source of the rumors literally refers to it as a codename though.

Just because it fits well enough doesn't automatically change that.

The other option is Eclipse, which I really hope isn't the game name. It would be too obvious and not very surprising. :/
Sun & Moon was honestly not very surprising to me, so Eclipse wouldn't be too out there. It'd be better than Stars, actually, because that seems a little too obvious.

If Stars is a thing then I feel like they're definitely bringing back the gyms, or in a way making the trial captains battle you as part of the trial as well.

They already have enough people for 8 gyms: Ilima, Lana, Kiawe, Mallow, Sophocles, The Steel type user, Mina, Kahili (in case Hapu does join the E4), a potential Dragon type user...

If Stars is a thing then I feel like they're definitely bringing back the gyms, or in a way making the trial captains battle you as part of the trial as well.

They already have enough people for 8 gyms: Ilima, Lana, Kiawe, Mallow, Sophocles, The Steel type user, Mina, Kahili (in case Hapu does join the E4), a potential Dragon type user...
If I remember correctly, there's only 7 empty lots. So there can be seven gyms for another change.

I hope it isn't either, simply because I wouldn't want people mixing it up with a terrible book from a certain terrible YA series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope it isn't either, simply because I wouldn't want people mixing it up with a terrible book from a certain terrible YA series.

TBH I'd rather they go for that (and "twilight") for that reason alone. I want people to look at those words and think of something that's actually of decent quality for a change (besides a certain pony).

Back
Top Bottom