• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It will be much more different on Switch than it would on Nintendo 3DS. There's no point in any Main series title being on Nintendo Switch. A third version is supposed to improve the original versions. How can a third version extend on the original versions that already reached the capabilities of the 3DS. The next games need to be on Switch no matter what it is.

Just because SM pushed the technical limits of the 3DS doesn't mean that the Switch will open up more sales, virtually anything they could do gameplay wise is theoretically possible on the 3DS and there's really not much further they can go gameplay wise from BW2.

Last edited:
Just because SM pushed the technical limits of the 3DS doesn't mean that the Switch will open up more sales
While not a guarantee, a new console does allow for far more ways to make a new gameplay experience, thus making it more appealing.
virtually anything they could do gameplay wise is theoretically possible on the 3DS
And yet, somehow, we're without triple and rotation battles. Hm....
and there's really not much further they can go gameplay wise from BW2.
So what would you call Pokemon Amie/Refresh and character customization?

Just because SM pushed the technical limits of the 3DS doesn't mean that the Switch will open up more sales, virtually anything they could do gameplay wise is theoretically possible on the 3DS and there's really not much further they can go gameplay wise from BW2.

Not without cutting even more content. SM not only experienced lag (quite bad at that) but it also had instances where text was somehow blurry. We don't need another game on the same system if it can't even run it efficiently. Stars doesn't need to go further than BW2. Stars is a rumoured third version, not a sequel, however, that does not mean that Stars cannot be improved enough that it makes it different enough from SM. There is plenty of new content they can add on the Switch, whilst on 3DS, Stars can't bring anything new gameplay wise, without cutting even more content.

It is clear which system is far better for the next Pokémon Game. People just don't want to purchase a new console to continue playing Pokémon, even though they have always had to do so anyway, and will have to eventually do that if they want to keep playing.

We don't need another game on the same system if it can't even run it efficiently.
I have to wonder if the cel-shaded rendering mode is part of that problem.... Game Freak cited technical issues for XY's limited use of 3D, while games like Mario Kart and Monster Hunter basically never drop frames.

While not a guarantee, a new console does allow for far more ways to make a new gameplay experience, thus making it more appealing.

We've reached a point in this industry where upping the resolution and frame rate does little to open up new gameplay styles. There might be a few things

And yet, somehow, we're without triple and rotation battles. Hm....

So what would you call Pokemon Amie/Refresh and character customization?

You're missing the point. It's not about being able to add more features, third versions have been adding features like this for ages. It's about what they can do to shake up the entire formula of a third version to make it more interesting. BW2 was a step forward in this aspect because it was an entirely different game taking place in the same region instead of being a rehash of BW with a few neat features added, for Stars to attract more sales it would have to go further in this direction. We've already seen sequels add new areas, new features, new storyline, new Pokemon, and new forms, what else could they possibly do to differentiate themselves from the original experience?

Not without cutting even more content. SM not only experienced lag (quite bad at that) but it also had instances where text was somehow blurry. We don't need another game on the same system if it can't even run it efficiently. Stars doesn't need to go further than BW2. Stars is a rumoured third version, not a sequel, however, that does not mean that Stars cannot be improved enough that it makes it different enough from SM. There is plenty of new content they can add on the Switch, whilst on 3DS, Stars can't bring anything new gameplay wise, without cutting even more content.

It is clear which system is far better for the next Pokémon Game. People just don't want to purchase a new console to continue playing Pokémon, even though they have always had to do so anyway, and will have to eventually do that if they want to keep playing.

You're exaggerating the 3DS' limitations. The only things that don't work well in SM are double battles or any other battle style that involves more than 2 Pokemon. Aside from that, SM works fine. There's certainly room to add more to a 3DS game if they wanted.

More customization options (though it's already a pro that clothing/colors will not be version exclusive) + postgame options being available during the main game

I'd like to see backlash when Stars is revealed to be paired versions, and they manage to keep version exclusive colours. I'll just buy the warmer-colour version if that happens, since I love Red and shades of it. But, I don't know how will the others react to it.

I'd like to see backlash when Stars is revealed to be paired versions, and they manage to keep version exclusive colours. I'll just buy the warmer-colour version if that happens, since I love Red and shades of it. But, I don't know how will the others react to it.

Prolly gonna range to annoyance of having to grind for FC/Berries for all the colors to something that could remotely called outrage.

I think Stars's gonna be Paired versions, since I could see GF getting the maximum out of the game, milking more money from the people who're hardcore fans/cannot resist dual versions.

If Stars is paired versions, why did Eurogamer compare it to Yellow and Platinum then?

I don't see it being paired versions at all. I see it more of a very enhanced third version.

If Stars is a thing, I don't see it being on a new console is going to change that it will have low sales. They tried doing something new with the expanded game with BW2 and even then it sold the same as the past third versions.

I think Stars's gonna be Paired versions, since I could see GF getting the maximum out of the game, milking more money from the people who're hardcore fans/cannot resist dual versions.
They tried that with B2W2, but found that the sales were similar, so they stopped doing it.

They tried that with B2W2, but found that the sales were similar, so they stopped doing it.

Stopped doing it or just haven't attempted it since? There's a subtle difference.

I guess it should be mentioned that the Switch online price is said to be 2-3000 yen, which can roughly translate to $25.

If Stars is a thing, I don't see it being on a new console is going to change that it will have low sales. They tried doing something new with the expanded game with BW2 and even then it sold the same as the past third versions.
BW2 wasn't sold on a new console, and there are various kinds of "do something new", all of which could potentially have better effects than the other. And you probably shouldn't say "it will have low sales" before we see such proof materialize, if ever.

Also, news on the online price: Kimishima told a Japanese website that the Switch's online services are expected to be 2000 - 3000 yen, or $15 - $30...YEARLY. So basically, less than $2 a month. That shouldn't be too bad for Pokemon, should it require paid online.

Edit: Oh, someone already brought it up. Derp.

I just got through reading this on 'Pokemon Stars' to be Available on Nintendo Switch by 2018, According to 'Pokemon Sun and Moon' Cutscene, it talks about Pokemon Stars might make it till 2018, they said "A cutscene from "Pokemon Sun and Moon" proves that the upcoming version truly exists. A new mainline of the Pokemon game is reportedly under development for Nintendo Switch, and it is likely to be released for the hybrid console in 2018 with "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild," "Lego City Undercover" and other games". Does this mean Pokemon Stars come out in 2018, not 2017, or is it error, what do you think, anyone?

I think that the article is poorly written. The Lunatone/Solrock scene doesn't really hint at Stars, although it might be expanded in that game. And nothing suggests that 2018 is more likely than 2017.

Their wording also implies that Breath of the Wild will be released in 2018. Suffice to say that the release date is next month.

Since Breath of the Wild releases at launch, the 2018 has to be an error. It must be 2017.

That cutscene doesn't prove anything and could just be the origin of O-Powers with the "star pulses" being each power and the "group of wonderful men" being that group that transformed into Mr. Bonding in ORAS.

Back
Top Bottom