• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They aren't waiting until 2019 to release the next game, and if they did, it wouldn't be an Alola game.

I don't see any reason to assume that they're just now hiring people for a game rumored to have been in development for at least two years. If Stars indeed exists, it isn't the only project they're working on.

What if Stars is just delayed until 2018 and 2017 is spent fixing all the bugs of Stars, making sure it runs smoothly?

@PkmnTrainerV There is a difference between someone not doing something before just because they didn't have a reason to until then and having a history of being rigid late adopters.

Last edited:
Hey, I was reading all tye comments and I felt the urge to point out some things...

1. About the "3DS has reached it's limit, time to move on" comment, that I see Stars supporters constantly throwing around: Pokemon has only reached it's GRAPHICAL LIMIT on the 3ds. But since there is never a graphical jump inside a generation (only between generations) if they are indeed making a third game of SM, it will just use the same engine of SM, like it yas always been with third versions (Emerald, Platinum,Crystal didn't have better graphics than their original pairs). So, next Generation should be on a better hardware, but not the next Gen VII version, as said graphical limit that they reached with SM won't be surpassed by a hypothetical third game.

2. Extra content does NOT make the game lag. What makes SM a laggy mess is the excess of 3D models that appear and move on the screen simultaneously; in other words, if they made a third version of SM on the 3DS, and added 4 Battle Frontiers, with 10 Facilities in each, the game wouldn't lag any more than SM currently does, as long as they don't appear on screen simultaneously. So the 3DS won't suffer if extra content is added in Stars.

3. If your argument is: "but SM is inexcusably laggy already, this is a sign that they can't put the next game on 3DS!" you are wrong. SM was just as laggy before it was released worldwide. If the current amount of lag and slowdowns that SM has now, didn't stop them from releasing SM in its current state, then I assure you it won't stop them from rereleasing it with a few added features in the form of a third version. Especially since third versions are usually bought by three times less fans than the original game pair. Which means a lot less people would experience said performance issues xD If they weren't scared of 16 million fellas complaining, they won't be scared of 7 million complaining.

4. Regarding the news about GF hiring new motion designers, if it's true that they are hiring those for a Switch game, and that they are only hiring them now... then the Eurogamer leak is incorrect since according to Eurogamer Stars has been in development together with SM. Those motion designers would've been hired long ago if that was true. And if they are only hiring them now, then it could very well be for Gen VIII on Switch, not for Stars.

And in case it wasn't clear, I am not saying Stars is not going to happen: Stars being true is 50/50 for me. I just felt the urge to tackle some flawed arguments thrown around xD

Your argument doesn't explain the 'blurry text' that plenty of people have experienced along with the lag. The blurry text occurs several times during normal dialogue, when the graphical parts of the game are barely being pushed at all. Also, if it didn't reach the hardware capabilities then why remove triple and rotational battles all of a sudden? Obviously that would have caused severe lagging issues (judging from how laggy double battles themselves got), however, if they 'don't care', like you say, then why remove them?

And whether the lag is just a graphical issue or not, Gamefreak (and Nintendo) should be caring about the lag. Unless they want to consider changing official tournament rules to single battles, then they need to find a way to have the game lag free.

What if Stars is just delayed until 2018 and 2017 is spent fixing all the bugs of Stars, making sure it runs smoothly?
Well it depends how pokemon works with nintendo switch, so if gamefreak test pokemon stars on switch, and if it doesn't work well, then it would make since if they push it back till 2018

I also agree that the "gamefreak have never done it so it is unlikely" argument is a pathetic one. Gamefreak have proven time and time again that they are perfectly capable of doing things they have never done before. However, for the people that DO use this argument, well, Gamefreak have never had two different remake games on the same console before, so using your very own logic, Diamond and pearl remakes will not be on 3DS.

Somebody doing something unexpected a few times isn't a to abandon the concept of historical exceptions.

Take the Fire Emblem direct for example it did the least expected thing given the current repuation of the series make a faithful recreation of the most hipstery Fire Emblem game there is. They also did the most expected reveal the mobile title is F2P crossover game with favortism towards Awakening and Fates. Just because GF make Black 2 and White 2 doesn't mean I expect them to not keep to the fire starter water starter grass starter thing. Will they drop it temporarily again after yellow? Eventually yeah. Will they drop it for good? Maybe. If I had to bet my life on it one way or the other would I say that gen 8 wouldn't have the normal starter types? HELL NO!

Nintendo revealed Super Mario Odyssy a less linear Mario but they also launched the Switch without what some people would call basic features.

All the surprising things gamefreak didn't change our fundamental understanding of how Pokemon generations work.

@VelVoxelRaptor ...That's barely an improvement graphically assuming it is at all ...guess lag won't be an issue.

Could be fake gut says it looks way too much like the base Sun and Moon but if the general consensus is that the video is real after a couple of weeks I'm not going to double down and insist it's fake. Made that mistake too many times already.

Or Maybe there be Gen 4 remakes on 3DS & Classic Gen 2 on E-shop comeout this Year 2017.
I don't see Gen 4 remakes ever for the 3DS since it can still play the original Sinnoh games. That would also be terrible, in my opinion, because the 3DS wouldn't offer much in relation to the Switch.

@PkmnTrainerV There is a difference between someone not doing something before just because they didn't have a reason to until then and having a history of being rigid late adopters.

"having a history of being rigid late adapters" is same as "not doing something becuase they dodn't have a reason to until then", as they didn't have to reason to NOT be rigid late adapters.
They have a reason to be an early adapter now, as Switch is very important for Nintendo (who owns a third of Pokemon), and they don't currently have a handheld in line.

On an unrelated note, how would you guys react if Sinnoh Remakes are made N3DS exclusive?
I'm sure that people here who have old 3DS would still oppose those games.

"having a history of being rigid late adapters" is same as "not doing something becuase they dodn't have a reason to until then", as they didn't have to reason to NOT be rigid late adapters.
They have a reason to be an early adapter now, as Switch is very important for Nintendo (who owns a third of Pokemon), and they don't currently have a handheld in line.

On an unrelated note, how would you guys react if Sinnoh Remakes are made N3DS exclusive?

Being N3DS exclusive is no different than when games became Gameboy Color exclusive. And no different than when the games become Switch exclusive.

I don't see them as having a reason to be early adopters any more than they have a reason not to be. Yes, Nintendo owns a third of the franchise... but how is that any different now than all of the times in the past when GF refused to be early adopters and when GF actively refused to develop games for the Nintendo home consoles? Nintendo has always had reason to put pressure on GF to make their newest console successful, no matter what it is. As such, I think we can pretty much ignore Nintendo's contribution to this beyond simply providing the platforms.

Now, who does want games on the Switch that both GF and Nintendo must listen to? Players. People who buy the games. People like you and I. It's our demand that puts the pressure that GF must bow down to.

So, I think you're looking at it entirely the wrong way. Nintendo, I think, doesn't really have much of a true say in this matter. But that's because GF allies itself with the player base, so in turn that means you have a say where otherwise you might not.

But I don't believe GF is in a position to refuse, since there is apparently no handheld in line. And I don't see them releasing a handheld since it would cannibalise Nintendo Sales.

And the only problem GF had with home consoles was "They aren't portable", but Nintendo Switch is the machine which literally is in line with all their philosophies. They want multiplayer- Switch has lots of multiplayer success stories. They want portability- Switch is portable. They want people to interact with each other- Switch is just the console for it!

I'm not looking at the possibility of refusing, but more when they'll adopt. Switch would just be a good move for the series no matter what, and I think Nintendo will only consider another pure portable if given absolutely no choice. And that would be years from now, likely after Gen 8 has already been released. So, I don't think we can factor the idea of another pure portable into Pokemon's immediate future.

And, well, I don't think Nintendo really has anything they can do to force GF to release early which won't bite Nintendo on the rear.

On the other hand, what is the player demand for a main series Pokemon game right now? From what I'm seeing, it's huge. Even if GF can stonewall Nintendo, they can't stonewall the fans.

Dude Shadows of Valencia just got freaking announced and you do think SMT5 is coming out soon? The 3ds is on it's way out but it won't die go out the same way the Wii U did. Also every system they make is important to Nintendo's well being. You know what else is important their image didn't stop Gamefreak from fucking embarrassing Nintendo by saying Wii U isn't worth putting their multiplat on.

They had reason to put games on the 3ds and they did just not after black 2 and white 2 I don't see how the Switch is any different in that regard. What reason is there not to wait the one freaking game from GF's perspective?

The only reason I see in this thread the lag sucks balls. It does but it didn't stop them from releasing three (or six) laggy games.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom