• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If they are only hiring those graphic designers NOW, after the Switch has been released, it pretty much debunks the Stars rumours, since the original rumour stated that Stars had been in development for the Switch, alongside with SM...

Also, if they are only hiring those guys now, it could very well be to work on the initial pair of Gen VIII, not on Stars. And if that is the case, then GF could be dveloping a third version, or a Kanto sequel, etc, on the 3DS at the same time.

Last edited:
If they are only hiring developers for a Switch game NOW, after the Switch has been released, it pretty much debunks the Stars rumours, since the original rumour stated that Stars had been in development for the Switch, alongside with SM...
It doesn't debunk it as Stars wouldn't need "intricate" models built from scratch. They're probably hiring a few people for a brand new project (probably the next generation), which doesn't mean they don't have an older project in the pipeline for this year.

However, something else has come to light that is making me question the Eurogamer report. I'll share my thoughts later.

If they are only hiring developers for a Switch game NOW, after the Switch has been released, it pretty much debunks the Stars rumours, since the original rumour stated that Stars had been in development for the Switch, alongside with SM...

The hirings are almost certainly for Gen VIII, which will be using a new engine built entirely for the Switch. Meanwhile they could just port over SM/reuse its engine for Stars, assuming it's a thing that's happening.

IMO, they would have needed those new graphic designers also to help them with Stars, because they have no experience on home consoles. And if Stars were indeed a third version, it would still have new content, so it wouldn´t be a simple port of SM. So they would´ve needed those new graphic designers earlier...

Last edited:
IMO, they would have needed those new graphic designers also to help them with Stars, because they have no experience on home consoles. And if Stars iwere indeed a third version, it would still have new content, so it wouldn´t be a simple port of SM. So they would´ve needed those new graphic designers earlier...

If they can make SM then they can make Stars using the same engine without new people just fine. I don't know what sort of technical upgrade you expect a Stars game to be, but I guarantee it wouldn't be as big as you seem to think. Higher quality and less framerate drops is about all it will be. The big technical upgrade will come with Gen VIII, hence their need to hire new people now because it's the right timeframe for when they start work on the next generation.

For all we know, they could be hiring a modeler for Hey You, Mimikyu! Or Pokedex 3D Ultimate Edition.

I mean the likely hood of it being a non Pokemon related game isn't too bad, but I'd say you're wrong on your examples. GF had zero involvement in Hey you Pikachu, nor does it in any of the side games in general. As for the Pokedex there are two problems with that. One being that GF also didn't make the original( it was Creatures inc) and two being that there is no longer a reason for it as the main series games are already in 3D. Whatever they're making isn't a side game. If it's Pokemon then it's a main series game. If not then it's just one of their own IP's and it could be anything. GF doesn't make side Pokemon games and they likely never will.

I mean the likely hood of it being a non Pokemon related game isn't too bad, but I'd say you're wrong on your examples. GF had zero involvement in Hey you Pikachu, nor does it in any of the side games in general. As for the Pokedex there are two problems with that. One being that GF also didn't make the original( it was Creatures inc) and two being that there is no longer a reason for it as the main series games are already in 3D. Whatever they're making isn't a side game. If it's Pokemon then it's a main series game. If not then it's just one of their own IP's and it could be anything. GF doesn't make side Pokemon games and they likely never will.

The examples I used were a joke, taking a lighthearted jab at how some people (Not necessarily anyone here, more the websites reporting on it) jumped to conclusions that they were hiring a modeler for a new main series Pokemon game. So I picked two hypothetical games that no one would want in comparison to a main series game.

Three or six is largely overboard. The most games I can see for 3DS is just one.

Did BW2 lag on the DS? I don't know since I was not in the community then.
I meant all the 3ds games lagged. SM XY and ORAS. BW2 didn't at least when off line. But GF willing overextended themselves on the 3ds.

The examples I used were a joke, taking a lighthearted jab at how some people (Not necessarily anyone here, more the websites reporting on it) jumped to conclusions that they were hiring a modeler for a new main series Pokemon game. So I picked two hypothetical games that no one would want in comparison to a main series game.

In fairness, the listing starts with “Here’s a chance to work on the development of a globally popular RPG!" so I don't think that people are jumping to conclusions too much by thinking it's main series Pokemon.

I believe that Stars is dead. This is probs for Gen 8. With Stars, according to Eurogamer, was developed alongside SM. They're just hiring these designers now. If Stars was real they would've hired them by now. We could still get our last 3DS Pokemon game (probs Sinnoh remakes) to tide us over while they develop their first Switch game.

I believe that Stars is dead. This is probs for Gen 8. With Stars, according to Eurogamer, was developed alongside SM. They're just hiring these designers now. If Stars was real they would've hired them by now. We could still get our last 3DS Pokemon game (probs Sinnoh remakes) to tide us over while they develop their first Switch game.

As others have already said, it is entirely possible that they are hiring them to work on Gen VIII, not Stars. This does not discredit Stars yet AT ALL. We need more information before that line of thinking makes sense.

I'm still at a loss as to why some people don't understand that a third version would barely need any new models in the first place. The SM ones just need improved textures; it's unlikely that even the animations would be improved for the Switch.

There are a lot of games with PS4 and Vita versions. In most cases, those versions aren't that different from each other graphically.

That said, here is what actually makes me rethink the Stars report:
  1. According to Nintendo, the decision to release a Switch port of the Zelda game was only made last spring. In contrast, back in November Eurogamer referred to Stars as being "well into development" due to the "parallel development structure" alongside SM. The project was supposedly paused around September for SM's sake, but it would have been at least a year in development by then. The obvious question is: Why would Game Freak have had at least a 6 months' head start on the Zelda team, who are part of Nintendo? If anything, Game Freak are the ones that can bide their time regarding the Switch.
  2. The fact that the Zelda team decided to port their game so late implies that the Switch was originally supposed to be released in late 2017, which isn't hard to believe at all. And yet according to Eurogamer, Game Freak initially planned a summer 2017 release date? Regardless of the original target for the Switch's launch, Game Freak not waiting until the holidays would have been a weird move.
  3. Nintendo recently doubled their Switch sales forecast for the upcoming fiscal year (till April 2018). It's hard to imagine what would give them that much confidence if they didn't have Game Freak's support. But then, why did they have so much lower expectations until recently? Sure, the Switch's initial sales seem to have exceeded expectations, but that is not a reliable metric for the future (most consoles have similiar sales initially due to limited supplies). Could a Switch Pokemon game actually be a recent decision? Is anything Eurogamer said about Stars real?
  4. I don't doubt that Eurogamer has sources at Nintendo, but it seems to me that these "leaks" are actually marketing stunts. Maybe the Stars rumor was just a ruse meant to gauge interest in a 2017 Switch Pokemon title, but the specific details are deliberately false. It's one thing to make us expect Pokemon on the Switch, since that generates hype, but telling us what the game is doesn't leave much in the way of surprise. Why do that at least six months ahead of the announcement?
  5. It's possible that Game Freak have been working on a last 3DS project since 2015 or 2016, and they've only recently committed to a Switch port, in part due to the largely positive responses to the Stars rumor. Masuda may have been telling the truth about waiting to see how the Switch is received. I can actually picture Nintendo concocting a premature and mostly false report to prove to Masuda that his fears about the Switch are unwarranted.
  6. The problem with my theory is that even for a port, less than a year is not optimal for a company like Game Freak with no HD experience. But assuming that the idea was strongly pushed by Nintendo, I don't see why they wouldn't help Game Freak make it a reality, much like the Zelda port (which is a huge game).
  7. I can see a cross-platform release happening (again, in the vein of Zelda), but I think it would be quite forced to release two "third versions". At the very least they should be sequels, but Alola may not be involved at all. That would be best for the sales and more than feasible if Game Freak aren't the ones doing most of the technical work for the port.

Last edited:
^ This post has reignited my hopes for one more 3DS Pokemon game. (y)

Last edited:
I would gladly buy a 3DS for Sun, Moon and Stars alone, but it is TOO hard to find (Amazon sells for about $250), and 3DS will also come to an end soon, and I'd like to spend by money on something that lasts... so I wish a game on the Switch.

I honestly think that it should be up to the player how to play the next game. That means two versions, due to the lack of backwards compatibility.

I honestly think that it should be up to the player how to play the next game. That means two versions, due to the lack of backwards compatibility.

I think the best would be to port SM directly with tweaks under a different name to the Switch. Sun and Moon- the 3DS versions, and Solar and Lunar Eclipse - the Switch Editions of the same game.

This way, it would be entirely optional for the 3DS owners, and they won't be losing much.

Back
Top Bottom