• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Personally,

Best Ending:
Kanto/Johto sequels

Good Ending:
Sun/Moon sequel

Neutral Ending:
Diamond/Pearl remakes

Bad Ending:
Break Year

Worst Ending:
pokemon sun/moon for the switch with updated graphics.

True Ending:
Unknown

This is where I stand, although I'd flip the Bad and Worst Endings. I'd consider Stars to be at least better than nothing, even though I most likely wouldn't pick it up myself.

To me, DP remakes are... ehh. It's not that I don't want them, but we're going to get them one way or the other, and I personally think it's still a bit too soon and that they'd be much better served (and better justified) by being on the Switch. Right now is a good opportunity to do something unexpected.

To me, DP remakes are... ehh. It's not that I don't want them, but we're going to get them one way or the other, and I personally think it's still a bit too soon and that they'd be much better served (and better justified) by being on the Switch. Right now is a good opportunity to do something unexpected.

I completely agree. DP remakes on 3DS/2DS would be wasted potential. It's simply too soon. Personally, I expect DP remakes in 2019 on Switch.

IMO, If we get a break year, at least it'll take my mind off of pokemon, because I'm tired of getting up in the morning, checking on serebii and see if we are getting any pokemon game announcement. If there's a chance we are getting something, I don't care what game it is, or what system it'll be on, I'm gonna get it. All they need to do is announce the game already.
Is anyone forcing you to do it?

I'm just gonna give my reasons for why I'm skeptical about Stars.

1. It would involve switching (didn't intend for that pun) consoles mid-generation. The playerbase would be split, people would have to buy a new console, and some families with multiple children may not have the money to buy two or more Switches. It's a bad business decision right now, so I think Gen VII should be finished on the 3DS.

2. GAME FREAK tends to wait until a console has a large install base before making a core series game. They made Gen III spinoffs on the DS until 2006 (2007 outside of Japan) when Diamond & Pearl came out. Gen V got spinoffs on the 3DS until X & Y came out two years after the 3DS was released.

3. A third version of a Pokemon game hasn't been made since 2008 (2009 outside of Japan). They don't sell as well as original games or remakes. Third version content like move tutors, an improved plot, and more available Pokemon could easily be added in a patch to Sun & Moon, or implemented into the sequels/remakes of the generation. A big selling point for Pokemon is having two versions to pick from.

4. The core philosophy behind Pokemon is that it's meant as a handheld game, one you can take with you. It was meant to encourage socialization with others in the physical world. Sure, online play changed this, but making the game a home console experience would change it even more. It wouldn't feel like Pokemon.

5. The New Nintendo 2DS exists, which means Nintendo has no intention of ditching the 3DS family just yet. Having the rest of this Pokemon generation on the 3DS would be a nice farewell.

All of this being said, I'm okay with having a Switch Pokemon game. I just don't think we're getting one this early. Also, I'm a sucker for Sinnoh nostalgia, so we'll probably see that first.

#sinnohconfirmed
We answered all these questions before many, many, manymany, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many times.

Best Ending:
Sinnoh remakes/sequels for Switch

Okay Ending 1
Sun/Moon 3rd Version for Switch

Okay Ending 2
Kanto sequels for Switch

Meh Ending
Any 3DS game except...

Worst Ending
Diamond and pearl sequels for the 3DS.

I refuse to buy a switch just to play one game, especially if that game is just a remake. Urgh. I honestly don't really get the appeal of remakes. If you like the original that much then just play it again. I'm ok with revisiting the region but there should be substantial changes to the story line to make it worth a revisit.

I refuse to buy a switch just to play one game, especially if that game is just a remake. Urgh. I honestly don't really get the appeal of remakes. If you like the original that much then just play it again. I'm ok with revisiting the region but there should be substantial changes to the story line to make it worth a revisit.

Not speaking for you but...
1. Switch will also support the upcoming games and not 'just' remakes.
2. I never had a DS and it's too late for a 3DS. So DPPt is lost for me. Sinnoh (anime) is the Region which introduced me to Pokemon, so I'd like to play it.
3. Also, no one is forcing you to buy.

There are people with different situations everywhere. No one method suits everyone.

The point is, if a new game is on the Switch, I'll have to buy a Switch just to play it. I'll be spending so much just for that one game. It's just not worth it for me. I would maybe buy the Switch when there are more games but who is to say that I would still care about Pokemon by then. I would have missed out on new Pokemon stuff for a while, it'll be easy to lose interest by then.

Anyway, you should get a 3DS <3 You'll be able to play Gen 4-7 on it. It's a great investment!

The point is, if a new game is on the Switch, I'll have to buy a Switch just to play it. I'll be spending so much just for that one game. It's just not worth it for me. I would maybe buy the Switch when there are more games but who is to say that I would still care about Pokemon by then. I would have missed out on new Pokemon stuff for a while, it'll be easy to lose interest by then.

By your own logic, no one should've bought the 3DS to play XY.

(N3DSXL are almost at Switch price wherever I look, so it's more logical (and more of a long-time investment) to get a Switch)

By your own logic, no one should've bought the 3DS to play XY.

XY is first of all not a remake lol. There were also many other non-Pokemon games to play with by the time XY was out. Besides XY had many new exciting features. In fact I got a 3DS for XY because I wanted to catch fairy types and play dress up with my character.

A new console for a mere remake where there are no major new features, a story line that people already know is just kind of lame. The only real draw would be new graphics of the region which is honestly just alright to me since I can't imagine that it'll be significantly different from what Kalos/Alola already had. I just won't be rushing to get it.

If you're not going to get a 3DS then you would have to wait at least 10+ years or so before you can actually visit Kalos/Alola but suit yourself :D

XY is first of all not a remake lol. There were also many other non-Pokemon games to play with by the time XY was out. Besides XY had many new exciting features. In fact I got a 3DS for XY because I wanted to catch fairy types and play dress up with my character.
Then, I think you should wait till Gen VIII rolls along, and then purchase both games together. This will suit you as well as not ruin someone's experience who's nostalgic to Sinnoh etc. etc.

A new console for a mere remake where there are no major new features, a story line that people already know is just kind of lame.
(As far as I know) ORAS was praised for many of it's new features and Megas. And it had a storyline overhaul, what with the megaverse and everything.

If you're not going to get a 3DS then you would have to wait at least 10+ years or so before you can actually visit Kalos/Alola but suit yourself :D
Kalos: wouldn't mind much, but still sucks as when I returned to Pokemon, the newest Region was Kalos, so I have a small amount of love towards it.

Alola: it's the very reason we're on this thread lol. I've got a bit of bitter feelings towards SM since they ruined what could be the best starter ever for me, and made my favourite Pokemon (regular Raichu) totally inaccessible. FYI, I always want to have Raichu at the first slot of my party, indicating its 'starter status' for me.

TBH, I can't see very many people wanting to come back to Kalos at this point knowing that it has so little to do and it's not getting a followup. You're better off waiting for the remake at this point.

Just release GSC virtual console on 3DS as a farewell. Problem solved.

EDIT: or make a cross-platform game. I will repeat here- there is no reason 3DS and Switch cannot communicate. The previous handheld and console pairs- Wii and DS, Wii U and 3DS could do so.
In fact, it could be argued that 3DS has more in common with the Switch than with the Wii U.

Best Ending
Gen 4 remakes for 3DS

Good Ending
Sun and Moon third version/sequels for 3DS

Okay Ending
Kanto remakes/sequels for 3DS

Bad Ending
All of the above for the Switch

Worst Ending
No new Pokemon game (I fear this will happen, I hope not)

There's at least 23 3DS games still coming this year, among which are games from the Fire Emblem, Pikmin, and Professor Layton series, which are all quite popular franchises. Maybe not as popular as Pokémon, but to call the 3DS dead without it is a huge exaggeration. There are loads of people with a 3DS that have never even touched a Pokémon game, you're really giving it too much credit by saying that Pokémon is the only thing that's keeping the handheld alive.

I personally don't really care what ending we get. I would even be fine with no Pokémon game, as I've got way more than enough games I wanna play this year already ^^;

Taking Pokemon off of the 3DS will kill it. There's too much pressure put onto the 3DS for that to happen.
So you're saying Pokemon should stay behind on the 3DS when the handheld becomes obsolete? :p

...nah, nah, I joke, I joke. Still, I think you're wrong about the Pokemon dying off the 3DS. Not only does it seem like the 3DS cannot contain anymore Pokemon content for it to handle, but contrary to what you say, the 3DS is nearing its end. Not many notable 3DS titles are set to come out this year aside from Ever Oasis (Miitopia was already out in Japan, and FE Warriors' 3DS counterpart is just a port). E3 also is Switch-focused despite the Switch-focused presentation earlier this year with all these new games.

Edit: Crud, ninjad and humiliated by Saki. :p Still, I argue Pokemon won't die on the Switch.

Nintendo also needs to sell 40 million 3DS games. Pokemon is an instant seller and would help Nintendo reach this goal.

Ah I read it as thinking the 3DS would die without Pokémon, as many other people claim. Saying Pokémon will die on the Switch is even more ridiculous though, hell it could go to the Xbox without dying, that's how big the franchise is :p The Switch is just another new device to play the games on, just like the 3DS was after the DS. The only difference is that you'd probably also be able to play it on a tv, I don't see how that would kill it in any way.

Ah I read it as thinking the 3DS would die without Pokémon, as many other people claim. Saying Pokémon will die on the Switch is even more ridiculous though, hell it could go to the Xbox without dying, that's how big the franchise is :p The Switch is just another new device to play the games on, just like the 3DS was after the DS. The only difference is that you'd probably also be able to play it on a tv, I don't see how that would kill it in any way.
The Switch is very excluding. Parents with more than one child would have to fork over hundreds of dollars that they might not have in order for all of the kids to enjoy the game (this can be avoided by including multiple save files). It will literally split the fanbase in half because many Pokemon fans (including myself) don't want. You also have to pay in order to play online.

The Switch is very excluding. Parents with more than one child would have to fork over hundreds of dollars that they might not have in order for all of the kids to enjoy the game (this can be avoided by including multiple save files). It will literally split the fanbase in half because many Pokemon fans (including myself) don't want. You also have to pay in order to play online.

I think it's extremely likely that we will see the release of a cheaper, handheld-only Switch, AKA "Switch Mini." That would quickly resolve this issue. Hell, I could see it being bundled with Pokemon.

Also, we don't know that every single online feature will require the subscription payment. It's entirely possible that they could allow online Pokemon battling and trading to be excluded from the cost. Who knows.

We answered all these questions before many, many, manymany, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many times.

I don't remember a third version answer. And the only two answers I remember for the why would Gamefreak switch midgen was Nintendo is so desperate for that main series pokemon goodness that they can't wait and are holding Gamefreak's feet to the fire. Which I don't buy they can do all that effectively without gamefreak saying "Just wait a year dog" and Gamefreak "reaching the limit of the 3ds". Which doesn't make sense because A) there are better running games on 3ds that still at the same visual level and B) if they cared they wouldn't release the framerate hell that is the pokemon 3ds lineup in it's current state.

Back
Top Bottom