• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Sun and Moon Music Thread

Reaction score
By now, we have gotten to hear quite a few tracks, from the wild encounter theme, the Hau'Oli City themes, Professor Kukui's theme, and the Team Skull theme. While we're still 10 days away from the release of Sun and Moon, I thought it would be a good idea to open a thread to talk about the music of Pokemon Sun and Moon.

Well I'll go ahead and quote my post from the Demo thread since it's relevant:

The Ten Carat Hill theme is honestly one of my favorite tracks in the whole series now. Kukui's theme is really nice as well.

Really, I've just got nothing but praise for the music so far. I dig Team Skull's music, both Hau'oli City themes are impressive and soothing, Mahalo Trail is mystifying, Route 2's theme perfect captures that core Pokémon spirit, and the Pokémon Center theme is the first rendition of it that I actually like. The Trial music is super-fun to play along to, which is spot-on what it needed to be.

Additionally, the Trainer Battle theme shot up on my list of favorites (those drums c: ), although it has not yet managed to oust Kalos's as my favorite rendition.

Oh, and I also remember really liking the bit of the Aether Foundation theme that we heard in this trailer.

And that is of course to say nothing about the amazing music at the beginning of the Starters' final evolutions trailer.

I've been digging much of the overworld themes. They're very good and nicely fit each area. I actually haven't been into many of the battle themes, well other than the Team Skull ones of course. I do like how the Totem themes starts but then it doesn't do anything interesting kinda reminding me like something from one of the first generations. I'm really excited to hear what the other signature battle themes are going to sound. And of course I cannot mention enough how great the theme is from the Legendaries Trailer.

I absolutely hate how generic and boring the regular battle themes sound, but nearly every other song I've heard is amazing.

I'm not feeling the Solgaleo theme. It's similar to how I feel about the Dialga theme in that its too calm for a legendary battle during the climax of the plot.

I'm not feeling the Solgaleo theme. It's similar to how I feel about the Dialga theme in that its too calm for a legendary battle during the climax of the plot.
In this case, the battle happens after the climax is over. There is really no tension anymore and it is obvious that Solgaleo/Lunala wants to join the player.

The Solgaleo/Lunana battle actually isn't the climax. It takes place right after it.

I've got several stand-outs from what I've listened to from the leaks. To name the biggest successes:

Branch Chief Faba Encounter Theme (Note: I'm not actually sure if this is Faba's encounter theme. Some others have listed it as the Team Skull hideout theme. Either way, it is sublime.)

Lillie Encounter Theme

Lillie + [the contents of her bag] Theme

Victory Road Theme

Elite Four Battle Theme

Vast Poni Canyon Theme (It's rather Pokémon Mystery Dungeon-ey, now that I think about it)

And of course...

Guzma's Encounter and Battle Theme

Those two are works of art.

You know, it's not going to happen, but I would pledge my soul to Game Freak if we saw a Skull grunt holding up a boombox whenever Guzma appeared and his encounter theme played. It would be a perfect diegetic twist.

Last edited:
You know, I honestly have been getting Pokemon Mystery Dungeon vibes from some of the music in Sun and Moon. There's some songs that use a pan flute I noticed and that instrument does bring me back to tracks like the Lush Forest theme.

I thought I'd also go ahead and list some of my own favorite themes

Hau'Oli City[Day/Night]
Heahea City[Day/Night]
Route 2
Lillie's theme
Victory Road
The Champion battle theme
Guzma's encounter and battle theme
Hau's battle theme
Malie City[Day/Night]
Vast Poni Canyon
Lusamine battle theme
Kukui's theme
Aether Foundation theme
Trial theme
Kahuna Nanu's theme
Konikoni City[Day/Night]

You know, I honestly have been getting Pokemon Mystery Dungeon vibes from some of the music in Sun and Moon. There's some songs that use a pan flute I noticed and that instrument does bring me back to tracks like the Lush Forest theme.

I thought I'd also go ahead and list some of my own favorite themes

Hau'Oli City[Day/Night]
Heahea City[Day/Night]
Route 2
Lillie's theme
Victory Road
The Champion battle theme
Guzma's encounter and battle theme
Hau's battle theme
Malie City[Day/Night]
Vast Poni Canyon
Lusamine battle theme
Kukui's theme
Aether Foundation theme
Trial theme
Kahuna Nanu's theme
Konikoni City[Day/Night]

Personally I'm trying to save a lot of the City/Route themes for when I play the game. I want that atmosphere to feel fresh. :D

But yeah I really like a lot of the other ones you mentioned. Overall I'm very happy with this soundtrack - I don't know that it has managed to oust BW's as my favorite, but it is certainly tied at #2 with DP.

The Aether Paradise theme is so lovely.

Edit: Ohhhhhhhhhh. This one is brief, but beautifully deep.

Edit 2: Uhh can anyone say "best Battle Tower remix EVER"????? (Battle Tree theme)

Last edited:
I've been very sceptical about the music, since the Wild Battle and Trainer Battle music is so boring and overly happy and was afraid they were all going to be like that again (as in XY). But damn, the music listed here is amazing. Especially the Battle themes of Guzma, the E4 and the Champion, now that's battle music.

I'm going to wait till I listen to the tracks in game, or at least once the games come out then listen to them on youtube, but I am super excited to hear these new tracks. The music that we've heard in the demo is amazing, so I hope the rest is just as good.

I think my favorite theme so far though has to be Hau'oli City at night. It's has a very jazzy vibe to it, and my second favorite genre of music is jazz. I hope we run into some more jazzy themes, because I could listen to them all day. It even gives me some Vince Guaraldi vibes. If you don't know who Vince Guaraldi is, think of the Peanuts show, now you know him. He wrote lots (if not all) of the music, for them.

Red and Blue
's battle theme is amazing :')

BUUUUUUUT I am SO triggered by the fact that they did not remix the themes for
Cynthia, Wally, Sinna and Dexio, Grimsley, Colress, and Anabel
and instead just re-used the themes from their debut games just as ORAS did with the legends. Is it too much to ask to get some quality remixes here? ;-;

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom