• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Sun and Moon on the Nintendo NX?

The Outrage

Reaction score
So we know that another big Nintendo game, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, is slated for a dual release on both the Wii U and the NX. There's also rumors that the NX will be a portable console (so I guess they're taking the Game Pad from the WiiU and running with it?).

Do you think that Sun and Moon will also get a dual release on the 3DS and NX?

Maaaybe! Who knows? Also i just commented for the sake of having the first comment!!! Yayayayaay! Anyways about ur topic! I think sooo, and i think Gen 8 would release on that console! So yaaah? Yah!

If the rumored specs are real? i think this is quite a while away. Like you say, it can run Zelda BoTW supposedly, so imagine the power of the thing. Second, if it does turn out to be a single screen handheld, its gonna be weird porting it over. There is the other factor of no BC, so far even if its last gen, we could always play the latest games on the latest handheld. Its goong to be interesting how it plays out, but until it gets revealed, SM on the NX is a weird topic.

Unlike Zelda, Sun and Moon will be released 4 months ahead of the NX, so it is excusable for them to be 3DS-exclusive. The more interesting question is whether or not Game Freak will attempt a dual release for the next entries. The B2W2 precedent suggests they won't, but at least those games could be played on the 3DS and this was even encouraged by the Dream Radar. In contrast, the NX is rumored to lack backwards compatibility.

A dual release could work by simply improving the resolution for the NX version (so that playing the games on TV is tolerable) and adding a feature or two. Think of Mystery Dungeon Red and Blue.

Last edited:
Isn't it rumored that that the NX is just a home console and they're developing a separate handheld console?

I've heard so many conflicting rumors about what the NX is that I don't know what it could be anymore. The most recent rumor I've heard that it was kind of a hybrid system. It has a handheld system, but you can plug it into the TV to play it there, but I don't know how creditable that rumor is.

As for the question itself, I really doubt it. If Sun/Moon were also going to be available on the NX, they definitely would have mentioned that by now. Pokemon is a huge hit and a new generation being available on the NX would create more people interested in it. Plus, the NX doesn't come out until next March if I recall correctly, so Sun/Moon would be out well before then. Regardless of what the NX is, I'm pretty sure that the main series will stay on handheld systems and that we probably won't see a main series game on the NX until the eighth generation.

Likely not. Otherwise they would have stated it already I think. It makes no sense for them to have a duel release like for a game that comes out multiple months before the second system. It would just make people mad lol For Zelda it makes sense as it comes out next year regardless, but Sun and Moon come out in November so it's not really close enough to make sense.

The most recent rumor I've heard that it was kind of a hybrid system. It has a handheld system, but you can plug it into the TV to play it there, but I don't know how creditable that rumor is.
That rumor is credible, considering that many trusted gaming sites support it, as does the Wall Street Journal.

Pokémon, Mario and Zelda headline NX 'dream' line-up

Before anyone says that it might be an error on the writers part and they automatically assumed Pkemon meant Gamefreak by default, it seems that he does mean Gamefreak quite literally according to his twitter. Which is a curiosity, cause if we consider the entire last year of the franchise when it comes to gen 6, or even the fact thst they could up port SM to the NX this makes no sense. I have no idea why gamefreak would go for SM this year instead of just going straight for NX next year, unless they had no idea how to get any other game out this year for the anniversary. Absolute madness imo if true.

Perhaps they'd put Sun and Moon out for the 3DS first because they know there are people who won't/can't buy a new system just to play a new pokemon game. I know I'm one of them. More sales on a still working system.

So is the NX the successor to the Wii U or the 3DS? Y'all got me very confused, here...
It is rumored to be a powerful handheld that can hook up to a TV, making it a successor to both the 3DS and Wii U in a way. It's unlikely to be much more powerful than the Wii U, though.

It is rumored to be a powerful handheld that can hook up to a TV, making it a successor to both the 3DS and Wii U in a way. It's unlikely to be much more powerful than the Wii U, though.

I guess a better question is, is it the handheld that will replace the 3DS for main series games like Pokemon and Nintendo's numerous other franchises?

That's pretty much a certainty. The question is when.
And I'm almost certain the answer isn't next winter like the article suggests. If we do get anything from Gamefreak next year on the NX, consider me very very surprised.

And I'm almost certain the answer isn't next winter like the article suggests. If we do get anything from Gamefreak next year on the NX, consider me very very surprised.
It doesn't even suggest winter. Six months within March would be September at the latest.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom