• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sun & Moon Q&A: 50 Interview

So, absences from SM sofar:

- DexNav
- Pokemon Amie minigames
- Super Training games

Possible absences, not 100% confirmed atm

- Triple Battles
- Rotation Battles

I also think Soaring is not returning since there is no sign of Mirage Spots, which was one of the biggest reasons for the existence of Soaring in the first place.

Also, no sign of a side activity a la Contest/Pokewood/Musicals sofar. XY already didn't have a side activity like those, so I feel SM doesn't have an equivalent of those either, since I think it would have been advertised already.

In the other hand, NPC rebattles a la Trainer Eye are apparently returning, which would be nice.

Last edited:
I also think Soaring is not returning since there is no sign of Mirage Spots, which was one of the biggest reasons for the existence of Soaring in the first place.
Eh, I'm pretty sure Soaring is back. You can use Charizard to fly with Poke Ride and I doubt they just revert it back the HM flying and not keep soaring. Especially when you seem to be able to personally control the Pokemon in the other Poke Ride stuff.

Eh, I'm pretty sure Soaring is back. You can use Charizard to fly with Poke Ride and I doubt they just revert it back the HM flying and not keep soaring. Especially when you seem to be able to personally control the Pokemon in the other Poke Ride stuff.
I think it is just Fly, not Soaring. They always show the cutscene of the PC jumping on Charizard's back, and never show him in the overworld, like all other Poke Ride Pokemon are shown. That's quite suspicious, imo.

However, we should wait and see.

Last edited:
I feel like Pokémon Snap is sort of the side-activity for SM. Not in the traditional sense, but what is traditional in these games? :p

Edit: Oh, you know, a thought just occurred to me. What if Triple/Rotation Battles were removed in part because the Trainers are now shown constantly throughout the battle? In a Triple or Rotation Battle, that would be eight whole models to process!

I think it is just Fly, not Soaring. They always show the cutscene of the PC jumping on Charizard's back, and never show him in the overworld, like all other Poke Ride Pokemon are shown. That's quite suspicious, imo.

However, we should wait and see.
It's not really that suspicious. Soaring in ORAS used a more detailed overworld map, so showing the player soaring with Charizard would probably show off parts of the map they don't want us to see yet.

they haven't revealed any town names or even many location names and given that they wouldn't let the media previewers reveal them either, they're probably working hard to avoid having those spoiled along with any other information it could accidentally slip.

It's not really that suspicious. Soaring in ORAS used a more detailed overworld map, so showing the player soaring with Charizard would probably show off parts of the map they don't want us to see yet.

they haven't revealed any town names or even many location names and given that they wouldn't let the media previewers reveal them either, they're probably working hard to avoid having those spoiled along with any other information it could accidentally slip.

Surely they could have shown footage of the Charizard soaring over the vast, empty ocean, rather than over a visible landmark, if they wanted to hide something from us. So I am still unsure if that logic makes sense.

Also, the Charizard Glide cutscene gives me Fly vibes, rather than Soaring vibe, for some reason.

@Esserise Personally, I see Poke Finder more like a feature similar to DexNav. Not similar in function, obviously, but similar in how both involve interaction with wild Pokemon on the field, and a sort of a minigame (sneaking to them, and maintaining a chain in DexNav, taking photos in Snap). And both have a ranking up system (the more Pokemon you encounter the higher your ranking goes).

The difference with side activities like Contests, PokeStar, Pokeathlon, etc is that those are "competitive" side activities, against others NPC rivals. While PokeFinder is more about competing with yourself, if that makes any sense xD

But it's just my opinion. And I like the idea of things like Snap just as much as proper side activities like Contests or Pokeathlon, so I don't mind if there is no "actual" side activity in SM. Poke Finder (Snap) looks very promising in its own right.

Last edited:
A horrible thought just occurred to me. What if the shiny locks that we have been getting since gen 5 would be for all pokemon in gen 7? What if Game Freak decides to remove shiny pokemon entirely?

Pardon me, but is there any actual evidence that you can chain for Shiny Pokémon via the DexNav? I thought that was just a rumor. I mean, I "chained" like a bazillion Ditto and never encountered a Shiny one.

A friend of mine managed to find two shiny Buneary within 3 or 4 encounters using DexNav, but then failed to find any more after chaining over 100, so it still seems entirely random to me.

A horrible thought just occurred to me. What if the shiny locks that we have been getting since gen 5 would be for all pokemon in gen 7? What if Game Freak decides to remove shiny pokemon entirely?

Shiny locking actually started in G4. All the in-game legends could be shiny, but the event gift legendaries usually couldn't be.

There is really no reason to think that would happen though. We already know we'll have Pokebank to import from G6 to G7 with. Shiny Pokemon can go into Pokebank. Would be profoundly bizarre of them to put a lock on Shiny transference, or to make only G7 Pokemon not have shiny forms.

I wouldnt worry too much about that, they've been in the game 5 gens and they've been making it easier to get them even, I see no reason why they even would, it seems to be a mainstay mechanic in the games.

Pardon me, but is there any actual evidence that you can chain for Shiny Pokémon via the DexNav? I thought that was just a rumor. I mean, I "chained" like a bazillion Ditto and never encountered a Shiny one.

It's never been really confirmed if chaining works, and I don't think it does either. However, just using the DexNav does give you a higher chance of finding a shiny. I don't think the 5 shinies I've found while using the DexNav are a coincedence, but I've never chained for those. They just appeared randomly while using the thing to look for specific mons.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom