• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sunday and Oha Suta Discussion Thread

Pfft we need a Fire-type Mach Punch. At least Complete Burn can be useful if your partner has an ability like Flash Fire.

NICE!!!

The Oath moves have a use outside of combination moves (they are attacking moves). And Grass Oath just kicked Chillarmy's butt by knocking it out.

So the Oath moves still inflict damage, but at the end of the round that's when the field effect is activated. That just made combination attacks ten times better.

So the Oath moves still inflict damage, but at the end of the round that's when the field effect is activated. That just made combination attacks ten times better.

They seem to be incredibly powerful if Pokabu, Mijumaru, and Tsutarja all knocked out Munna, Minezumi, and Chillarmy when all 6 Pokemon are at level 50.

They seem to be incredibly powerful if Pokabu, Mijumaru, and Tsutarja all knocked out Munna, Minezumi, and Chillarmy when all 6 Pokemon are at level 50.

All three attacks have 10 PP so they should be at least mildly powerful (I predict 80 power or greater).

powerful moves that create field effects when used in combination.

Yes! That is awesome.

Ah so its only if one move is used, then the move ends and the effect kicks in. Now if they have it useful outside the starters and these 3 moves, things will be3 much better.

1) I bet these will all be starter exclusive (that includes past starters)

2) Fire, Water, and Grass will be the only types that get this sort of treatment. That's just the way things work.

(it would be nice to be wrong on both accounts)

2) Fire, Water, and Grass will be the only types that get this sort of treatment. That's just the way things work.

(it would be nice to be wrong on both accounts)

I admit liking starter-exclusive tactics (like the elemental hyper beams and their abilities), that makes them cool and attractive to use, but this time, I feel leaving it starter exclusive or type exclusive would leave out so many possibilities, remember that there are also Rock and Ice type field effects that could be summoned via this feature, let's not waste that potential.

So in the end I agree with your last sentence: I hope you're wrong as hell.

What's the point of having combination attacks if it will only "combine" three unique attacks? Regardless of it being starter exclusive, it would be a wasted battle mechanic.

I'm hoping that the Oath attacks are not starter exclusive. I really want the Monkey Trio to also get these attacks as well. I don't want to believe that Acrobat is the only reason to include them in a triple battle.

Waitwait..if the Oath attacks are starter exclusive..wouldnt that seem a bit silly since you dont GET all three starters in one game without trading?

Waitwait..if the Oath attacks are starter exclusive..wouldnt that seem a bit silly since you dont GET all three starters in one game without trading?

Well, you do remember that one of the franchises' most renown characteristics is trading and how game mechanics are built to encourage players into doing it so, do you?

Anyways, despite that the Oath moves may be starter exclusive, there must be many other similar combinations available to other Pokémon.

It's not so much that we have Combinations attacks that must filled out with different types, it's that we have new attack types that have a perk of being able to combine. In other words, they sure as heck can make it so only 3 attacks have this effect if that's what they choose. These attacks are as much of a mechanic as Reflect/Light Screen are, or Trick Room, or Sunny Day/Rain Dance/Hail/Sandstorm. None of those got above more than 4 separate moves. The same might apply to the combinations.

The monkey trio is the other set that seems appropriate for the Oath's, since they were practically made to be the second stringers of starters. Acrobat sounds like it's been exclusive to Yanappu though, like Boiling Water is to Baoppu. Otherwise, I wonder what Yanappu's exclusive move could be.

Wouldn't that interfere with the actual starter exclusive moves we already have. Grass Mixer, Shell Blade, and Nitro Charge and with Shell Blade I really can't see any other Pokemon pulling that off except maybe Shellder and Cloyster. The Squirtle line do have shells but I just can't see it working. At least with the Shellder line one of their spikes could be shell blade.

So I can't see more starter exclusives unless more moves work in combinations (moves that the other Pokemon can learn).

If they were starter exclusive as well as only fire, grass, and water well then I fail to see the purpose of combination moves.

Oha Suta didn't reveal too much.

Alhough we received the pokedex numbers of both Monmen (exclusive in Pokemon Black) and Churine (exclusive in Pokemon White).

Monmen is no. 052 in the Isshu Dex (and presumably no. 546 in the National Dex).

Churine is no. 548 in the National Dex (and presumably no. 054 in the Isshu Dex).

These are the level-up moves that both pokemon learn by Level 14:

Monmen: Growth, Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, Mega Drain
Churine: Growth, Leech Seed, Stun Spore, Mega Drain

Again, I'm not a big fan on Grass-types (or at least pure Grass-types). If they really wanted to make Black and White truly different from one another, Game Freak should have given both pokemon drastically unique level up movesets.

Last edited:
Wouldn't that interfere with the actual starter exclusive moves we already have. Grass Mixer, Shell Blade, and Nitro Charge and with Shell Blade I really can't see any other Pokemon pulling that off except maybe Shellder and Cloyster. The Squirtle line do have shells but I just can't see it working. At least with the Shellder line one of their spikes could be shell blade.

So I can't see more starter exclusives unless more moves work in combinations (moves that the other Pokemon can learn).
Starter exclusivity is nothing new. The starters are currently the only ones who get their Blaze/Overgrow/Torrent abilities. The same can apply to moves.

What do Shell Blade, Nitro Charge, and Grass Mixer have to do with anything? I'm talking about the Oaths. And I don't mean exclusive to the Isshu starters, I mean exclusive to all the starters, like the abilities (with some exceptions, like the previously mentioned monkeys). The moves are two different kinds of exclusivity. There wouldn't be an interferance of any kind.

If they were starter exclusive as well as only fire, grass, and water well then I fail to see the purpose of combination moves.
You could say that about a lot of moves. "What's the purpose if only this Pokemon has it" or "What's the purpose if it only does this one thing?"

It's usually about 7AM in Japan, so depending on where you live from that. It'll be 11PM here in England.

Back
Top Bottom