• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon announced: Brand new 3DS game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope we get a trailer soon. There are so many people holding their breaths on the absence of anything about this game right now lol

So long as the starters from all gens are (and a few specials) are available to be hero and partner then that's one problem outta the way. Or honestly, stray as far away from how Gates of Infinity handled things in general.

Considering EOS is my favourite Pokémon game, I am naturaly hopeful for this, but I can't help but feel a sence of dread that it'll be not as good as the aforementioned EOS... I hope not though.

Oh boy. I am hoping this Pokemon Mystery Dungeon will not be a relative disaster was it was to Gates to Infinity. While Gates to Infinity wasn't bad, I just didn't feel compelled to make time to even finish the game as I did with the other two Mystery Dungeon games. I felt that there was so many things lacking from other games. There just wasn't a connection to the game I felt in R/B rescue team and D/T/S games.

I really hope they bring back the hunger mechanic, doing more than one quest at once and for the love of god, the V-wheel. Or at least get rid of the Victini being so eccentric. /unpopularPMDopinon I found that building your own paradise to be really neat and it would be great to see. As for the quiz, I am willing to accept the quiz if it means more starting Pokemon option. Actually, now that I think about it, it needs to be brought back.

I am just hoping this won't leave me relatively disappointed as Gates to Infinity did. I just didn't feel the personal connection to Infinity as I expected with the other ones. Super Mystery Dungeon really needs to be the writing quality that got me loyal to the PMD spinoffs in the first place.

OK, whatever the result it is, improvement is the only option for a continuing franchise. I do agreed also that Explorer of Time/Darkness/Sky was too good where it became unfair to judge new PMD by comparing to this masterpiece. But then at least nothing worse than its predecessor and the starting point of this series, the Red/Blue Rescue Team. IMO that may be a more fair comparison.

Yeah the Rescue Team story was also kind of bland. And its biggest gameplay flaw was having to reassemble your recruits after EVERY mission (no Chimecho/Quagsire to do this for you). Plus recruiting itself was more difficult since you couldn't just teleport your recruits back to base like in the later games (you had to clear the dungeon without them getting KO'd).

Someone mentioned that the logo is the same style as PMD1 and PMD2, so I wonder if that means something.

I know it's not a Mystery Dungeon game, but part of me kinda wants something akin to the second Pokemon Ranger game, in that you get an option for a Pokemon representing each of the 18 types.

Actually I would be totally okay with they only gave you the three Kalos starters. However, if they did that then your evolved forms absolutely need facial expression portaits in their dialogue... for that matter, I would love it if your main characters evolving wasn't limited to the postgame. That little quirk never made any logical sense!

I want to say that the MCs can evolve as soon as you unlock evolving in Rescue Team, so you couldn't do it before because no one could, but I can't remember for certain. Explorers, at least, tried to justify it with spacetime shenanigans. GtI was annoying in that Pokemon can evolve ASAP there...except for you and your partner. And you're never given a reason as to why. Just "nope, you and your partners can't evolve!".

I know it's not a Mystery Dungeon game, but part of me kinda wants something akin to the second Pokemon Ranger game, in that you get an option for a Pokemon representing each of the 18 types.

Oh, I would LOVE a new Pokémon Ranger game. No one seems to remember them, but I think they're great. Also excited for this game! I hope it fixes most of GTI's issues (namely not having every Pokémon, watering down several gameplay aspects, and having a limited selection of Pokémon to be the player).

So...anyone realize they totally fucked up releasing Gates to Infinity during Gen V?

Because, you know, one generation later and they introduce a Pokemon that pretty much is capable of creating "Magnagates" in Hoopa.

LOL; nice point! That reminds me of how someone mentioned that the Sacred Swordsmen/Swords of Justice/"Legendary Musketeers" were introduced too early in the wrong generation, debuting in a "New York, USA"-based region when their likely primary basis is The Three Musketeers French story by Alexandre Dumas, père, with the French origin matching the real-life basis for the Kalos region (France). I guess Hoopa just wasn't in the cards at that point (or was purposefully withheld, if Hoopa conceptually existed at the time) when Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity's story was conceived; it probably would have complemented the story for Gates to Infinity well (even better, had it been thought of at the time, Hoopa could've used as an "advance advertizement" for Pokemon X and Y/Kalos as a whole)...

So long as the starters from all gens are (and a few specials) are available to be hero and partner then that's one problem outta the way. Or honestly, stray as far away from how Gates of Infinity handled things in general.

Eh, it's kind of gotten to the point where including every single starter is a little much. I think at the very least they should include say, the 1st, 3rd, and 6th gen starters for marketing reasons, and then include some random ones in addition. I don't think they should be too concerned about squeezing in the 2nd, 4th, and 5th, there's not too much benefit and it would potentially limit the starter variety.

Someone mentioned that the logo is the same style as PMD1 and PMD2, so I wonder if that means something.
Fourth entry to be seen outside Japan ... and four words to "Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon" ... SINNOH CONFIRMED!? :lol:

I want to say that the MCs can evolve as soon as you unlock evolving in Rescue Team...
...which was in the postgame, of course....

Yeah, GTI was funny in how only your main characters couldn't evolve. At least leaving the reason unspecified was better than trying to make up some silly excuse for it.

Last edited:
After the awesomeness of Gates to Infinity, I can't wait for a new mystery dungeon game.

But I'm still looking forward to E3 in which I hope there will be a main series (gen 7? Gen 4 remakes? Hopefully no 3rd Kalos game) announcement.

Considering that it's releasing around the time we'd normally get it, I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.

Eh, it's kind of gotten to the point where including every single starter is a little much. I think at the very least they should include say, the 1st, 3rd, and 6th gen starters for marketing reasons, and then include some random ones in addition. I don't think they should be too concerned about squeezing in the 2nd, 4th, and 5th, there's not too much benefit and it would potentially limit the starter variety.

I know I said I would personally like at least one representing each type, but thinking back, I also kinda would like them to involve the Pokemon they used as World Cup mascots, at the very least. That'd give us five Gen 1 Pokemon (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pikachu and Meowth) and six Gen 6 Pokemon (Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie, Litleo, Pancham and Helioptile), at least.

I know I said I would personally like at least one representing each type, but thinking back, I also kinda would like them to involve the Pokemon they used as World Cup mascots, at the very least. That'd give us five Gen 1 Pokemon (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Pikachu and Meowth) and six Gen 6 Pokemon (Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie, Litleo, Pancham and Helioptile), at least.

Those are all good candidates, but since the starter list is typically nature based, I'd expect more than 10. I think the starter list would look more like this:

-Bulbasaur
-Charmander
-Squirtle
-Treecko
-Torchic
-Mudkip
-Chespin
-Fennekin
-Froakie
-Pikachu
-Meowth
-Eevee
-Togepi
-Riolu
-Pansage
-Pansear
-Panpour
-Zorua
-Bunnelby
-Litleo
-Pancham

Most of these Pokemon are fairly marketable Pokemon that have been featured recently and represent a variety of types (not necessarily all of them, it seems unlikely that we'd get a Ghost, Dragon, or Steel type starter for example) and a variety of generations.

Last edited:
OOOOH! I'm excited for this game. But also curious.

How will they handle Mega Evolution?
Does this mean there'll be no main series game this year?
Why do we keep getting games on 3DS and not Wii U?

So may questions, so little answers.

(...it seems unlikely that we'd get a Ghost, Dragon, or Steel type starter for example)
Yeah, Axew in GTI is basically the only time we've been allowed a Dragon-type starter in ... well, ever.

OOOOH! I'm excited for this game. But also curious.

How will they handle Mega Evolution?
Does this mean there'll be no main series game this year?
Why do we keep getting games on 3DS and not Wii U?

So may questions, so little answers.

1 - Who knows at this point, we have no details.
2 - Spinoffs are produced by different devs than the main series. But there is a point that if we do see a new main series game this year it will obviously kind of overshadow the PMD release....
3 - Pokemon was born on handhelds, that's part of its design philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom