• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon announced: Brand new 3DS game

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon announced: Brand new 3DS game

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon is a newly announced Nintendo 3DS game that will be released later this year in Japan and North America, and next year in Europe.

Read more on Bulbanews

Cool! :-D

I was worried it was dead after Gates to Infinity didn't do so hot.

I'm mainly looking forward to the special or short. Those are always sweet! :)

Though does this mean no Main Series game this year after all :confused:

Last edited:
Cool!

I was worried it was dead after Gates to Infinity didn't do so hot.

I'm mainly looking forward to the special or short. Those are always sweet! :)

Though does this mean no Main Series game this year after all :confused:

I was kinda worried too and same towards the specials.
PMD being released this year doesn't affect the main games at all.

Also I'm curious on how Mega Evolution will work, sure, your character was a human, but now they're a Pokemon. And how about the future forms, Mega Evolutions, and possible Primals in Gen 6? I think they should be added as DLC.

ABOUT TIME!

Lets hope we have a choice of more then 5 Pokemon to get turned into, all currently released Pokemon and the player has an actual gender instead of just Japan getting genders.

I'm glad it's not a main title that was announced. Not that there may still be one announced or released this year (I'm actually expecting it), but I'm starting to get tired of these annual releases.

Anyway, I haven't really played any MD games yet. I have the demo for Gates on my 3DS, and that's all I've played. So maybe this will be the first one I fully play.

Can someone tell me what us Europeans did to Nintendo to have them stall XY and now this?

I'm both excited and scared for this game, I loved Explorers of Sky, but I loathed Gates to Infinity that I refused to buy it at all, namely because of how watered down it was among other reasons.

My biggest fear is that this PMD game is going to be some kind of a freemium game with "Pay Diamonds to continue/unlock dungeon/etc." because I won't even get the game if that is the case. Also is the title, "Super" Mystery Dungeon, which, while it was a common naming trend back in the SNES days, is not exactly the best of signs, since usually they had interesting names like "Explorers of Sky" and "Gates to Infinity" because it sounds a bit bland with "Super Mystery Dungeon." I just hope its a full game that fixes the problems GTI had and not some freemium pay-to-win game, since to me, those aren't real games.

ABOUT TIME!

Lets hope we have a choice of more then 5 Pokemon to get turned into, all currently released Pokemon and the player has an actual gender instead of just Japan getting genders.

Add the personality quiz back and let me go on more than one mission at a time and I'm good.

This is suprising. Fingers crossed that it's as good as Explorers of the Sky or at least it doesn't have the issues GTI had (yeah, i'm not a fan of that game).

Can someone tell me what us Europeans did to Nintendo to have them stall XY and now this?
You had numerous stores sell X & Y a week ahead of release date. That's why ORAS and Smash for 3DS were delayed. Chunsoft probably just needs more time to properly localise SuperPMD Hyper Crawling Championship Edition.

I'm both excited and scared for this game, I loved Explorers of Sky, but I loathed Gates to Infinity that I refused to buy it at all, namely because of how watered down it was among other reasons.

My biggest fear is that this PMD game is going to be some kind of a freemium game with "Pay Diamonds to continue/unlock dungeon/etc." because I won't even get the game if that is the case. Also is the title, "Super" Mystery Dungeon, which, while it was a common naming trend back in the SNES days, is not exactly the best of signs, since usually they had interesting names like "Explorers of Sky" and "Gates to Infinity" because it sounds a bit bland with "Super Mystery Dungeon." I just hope its a full game that fixes the problems GTI had and not some freemium pay-to-win game, since to me, those aren't real games.
I have the same trepidation regarding the name. The stories have been the major draw of the PMD games, so I don't think there'll be a "limit progression based on time to force them to buy currency" for the main portion of the game. But that wouldn't stop them from having a whole bunch of "special" dungeons that require freemium currency to explore, and have exclusive 'mons in them.

I very highly doubt that this will be a freemium game. Pokemon Shuffle was announced on January 14 of this year (and mentioned that it would be a free to start game). Pokemon Rumble World was announced on April 1 of this year, also a free to start game. The biggest proof against this being a freemium game is found on the official Pokemon website. Here is the description:

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon

Look forward to the launch of Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon in winter 2015, continuing in the legacy of the exciting Pokémon Mystery Dungeon video games! With dungeon layouts that change every time you enter them, the fun never ends! Battle alongside Legendary and Mythical Pokémon to save the world from a crisis in a tale of unprecedented scale.

Most likely this will be a cartridge/buy online to play game and will likely cost $40 in the United States. Besides, the freemium games were small in size.

I have the same trepidation regarding the name. The stories have been the major draw of the PMD games, so I don't think there'll be a "limit progression based on time to force them to buy currency" for the main portion of the game. But that wouldn't stop them from having a whole bunch of "special" dungeons that require freemium currency to explore, and have exclusive 'mons in them.

Actually, that would be DLC, which I doubt this game will have. We have to wait and see.

Actually, that would be DLC, which I doubt this game will have. We have to wait and see.
Not downloadable dungeons, but dungeons that are already programmed into the game and require a form of currency to access, like how Shuffle's stages and Hearts work.

Hope they add a difficulty setting (Easy, medium, hard, etc.). Gates To Infinity and many of the other games starts to get enduringly extreme pretty quickly as you progress near the end and there's not a lot of opportunities to take a break while in the middle of an adventure forcing yourself to lose the progress just to grind to a higher level. I'm pretty much not a hardcore player with supreme patience.

Well I sure was wrong about Mystery Dungeon not coming back. Still though, I have a bad feeling about this announcement. It's probably not F2P because of the early announcement, but I think it may be more like GtI and less like the first two. Usually when they use generic names like "New" or "Super", that translates to "we're putting out a lazy sequel to make a quick buck", plus with 6th gen's track record and the general direction of making games that almost exclusively provide casual experiences make me think they're not going to put as much effort into this game as we all want.

You had numerous stores sell X & Y a week ahead of release date. That's why ORAS and Smash for 3DS were delayed.

Canada leaked XY too, but weren't punished. I wouldn't state so definitively that's why they were delayed unless they officially came forward and said so. There could be other reasons.

I might get this one, since I haven't played any of the spinoffs before. I should probably track down Explorers of Sky first, though, since I hear the story in that one is really good. Not even planning on bothering with Gates to Infinity, since I haven't heard a single positive review lol.

I am so excited. I remember being worried PMD2 was it, then GtI happened and was slightly below mediocre, so I got re-concerned for the series' survival, but things are looking up. Incredibly hyped. Some great, memorable games have come from these spinoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom