• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon announced: Brand new 3DS game

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I agree with everyone I will say this about PMD2's greatness. I hope these games have a more stream lined multiplayer than that weird shit I never used.

I'm going to scream with happiness right now and pray that this one knocks it out of the PokePark. Because it has to. This is my favorite bunch of Pokemon games and one of my favorite games of all time. They gotta get this right.

I actually thought Gates to Infinity was the best of the series (and I played a ton of it to unlock all the songs in the sound test). I know it didn't sell as well as the previous entries, however.

ABOUT TIME!

Lets hope we have a choice of more then 5 Pokemon to get turned into, all currently released Pokemon and the player has an actual gender instead of just Japan getting genders.
This.

I enjoyed GtI, but it wasn't exactly fun with the limited choices you had as a PC. Bring back the quiz or something, just don't stick me with the choice of three starters, a "cute" dragon and a Pikachu! And please, give us a broader choice for our partner. Can I please pair up with a Golett? That would be a blast!

...and then we'd get to the emotional stuff and I'd have to break his little heart...
On second thought, let's not and say we did. :bawl:

Other than that, I'm pretty hyped for this. Hope it has a good story; that'll keep me playing for a bit.

Hold on a second. This new PMD game will be on sale in 2015 Autumn!?

Given the Japan Autumn is September~November, that mean it is only a few months ahead in less than half a year time. When you are telling me a console game that can be made within half a year time, then I highly doubt the quality of this game.

Well of course there may exist the probability that they already started making the game few years back then, and only announce its existence about half year before its planned finish date. But because currently except its title, the intended game genre, and a very rough one-sentence explanation of its story plot, no further information is provided. In the case of other console games that I'd seen so far, if they were really started its development long before announcing its existence, then as soon as the publisher made its first announcement about the game, further information should then provided, even it may be just screenshots of the game during development process. Since I don't see that for this SuperPMD in its first announcement, so there catches my alert.

Though if I recalled correctly, none of the Pokemon games announced anything further than its title, game genre, and intended rough content described in merely one sentence in their ever first announcement. So let just hoped my concern is merely overreactions.

I'm thinking that Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon will be released in the United States at around Christmas this year. Just my guess.

So how will mega evolution work in these games I wonder

Hmm. Well you probably won't get a lot of them until later in the game if at all (it might end up a post game feature like evolution itself usually is), but there's probably going to be a ton of bosses throughout the storyline that Mega Evolve. As for how it works, I had an idea to tie it to a meter that refills as you walk around and you could only use it once per floor.

Given the Japan Autumn is September~November, that mean it is only a few months ahead in less than half a year time. When you are telling me a console game that can be made within half a year time, then I highly doubt the quality of this game.

Well of course there may exist the probability that they already started making the game few years back then, and only announce its existence about half year before its planned finish date. But because currently except its title, the intended game genre, and a very rough one-sentence explanation of its story plot, no further information is provided. In the case of other console games that I'd seen so far, if they were really started its development long before announcing its existence, then as soon as the publisher made its first announcement about the game, further information should then provided, even it may be just screenshots of the game during development process. Since I don't see that for this SuperPMD in its first announcement, so there catches my alert.

If we had already a received Mystery Dungeon this generation I'd probably agree with you; but with this being the first PMD game for Gen VI it's probably been in the works since Gates to Infinity shipped in 2012. It's not an uncommon practice to announce a game without any accompanying media and it's not always because there isn't media ready. It's probably being announced now so it's not lost in the flood of E3 announcements and completely overshadowed. We'll probably get our first visuals around then.

...Frankly I'm impressed Game Freak even decided to make a new PMD, considering how much of a disaster Gates to Infinity was. Granted I didn't buy GtI, but after reading numerous reviews, I'm glad I didn't.

Game Freak doesn't develop the Mystery Dungeon titles, Spike Chunsoft does. The Pokémon Company ultimately greenlights each new game, though. It's important to remember that Mystery Dungeon is its own series and isn't something exclusive to Pokémon. PMD is a collaborative effort with the Mystery Dungeon franchise, much like Pokkén Tournament is a collaboration with Tekken and its associated development team.

Lets hope we have a choice of more then 5 Pokemon to get turned into.
Actually I would be totally okay with they only gave you the three Kalos starters. However, if they did that then your evolved forms absolutely need facial expression portaits in their dialogue... for that matter, I would love it if your main characters evolving wasn't limited to the postgame. That little quirk never made any logical sense!

I actually thought Gates to Infinity was the best of the series (and I played a ton of it to unlock all the songs in the sound test). I know it didn't sell as well as the previous entries, however.

GTI wasn't bad, but the Pokemon selection did kind of pull a BW1 on you by not having much in it beyond the Unova Pokedex. And the lack of a personality quiz in favor of a straight-up manual Pokemon selection removed a lot of charm from the opening sequence ... the quiz needs to come back, period.

Personally, I would like it if they gave you the quiz and then just dropped you into the prologue before telling you what Pokemon you got to be. Showing you the results and then giving you the option to go back and give different answers robs the quiz of some charm too. I don't mind the option to re-take the quiz and pick different answers, but once the game tells you which Pokemon you are that declaration should be FINAL.

E.g. when I played Explorers of Sky, I was given Riolu. (First try, with no second guessing the answers or using a guidebook to scam the quiz.) I had literally no experience with that Pokemon (beyond knowing it was a Fighting type and the prevo for Lucario) yet, and was really tempted to go back and re-take the quiz, but instead decided to stick with the decision. It worked out really well, too.

It's important to remember that Mystery Dungeon is its own series and isn't something exclusive to Pokémon.
E.g. Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon and the recent Etrian Mystery Dungeon.

Last edited:
This is good news. I just hope this new game is more like the ones available on the DS instead of being like Gates to Infinity. I haven't bought Gates to Infinity but it apparently isn't well received. Could I ask why?

And why has there been mention of DLC? This hasn't been confirmed or denied but I think it's too soon to speculate about it.

So...anyone realize they totally fucked up releasing Gates to Infinity during Gen V?

Because, you know, one generation later and they introduce a Pokemon that pretty much is capable of creating "Magnagates" in Hoopa.

Though if I recalled correctly, none of the Pokemon games announced anything further than its title, game genre, and intended rough content described in merely one sentence in their ever first announcement. So let just hoped my concern is merely overreactions.

You're being over-reactionary and ridiculous here.

Obviously a game being announced =/= it literally being started on.

And to calm you a bit, Mysterious Dungeon Darkness/Time was first announced in May 2007, and was released in September 2007...pretty much the same time frame we're looking at here.

This is good news. I just hope this new game is more like the ones available on the DS instead of being like Gates to Infinity. I haven't bought Gates to Infinity but it apparently isn't well received. Could I ask why?

And why has there been mention of DLC? This hasn't been confirmed or denied but I think it's too soon to speculate about it.

Only about 150 Pokemon recruitable, not even the entire Unova Dex is in the game and they have space left for every Pokemon.

At least, I'd say that's the main reason, but honestly, a PMD game with just the Unova Dex + Pikachu line would've been nice. It was the Unova Pokemon's time to shine. It's not a bad game as people are making it out to be. I would also think people expected it to top Explorers or be on the same level, when.. I don't really think that's possible. I'd suggest trying it if you're interested.

As for the DLC - Gates to Infinity has DLC. And I brought it up because we're halfway through the Generation, and it's releasing at the end of this year with Volcanion probably being announced next year along with Eternal Flower Floette and then the new forms/Megas/possibly Primals in the next games, mostly since this may very well be the only PMD game for this Generation, so why should they be skipped out on if DLC can be used?

Never got one of these games before. Will have to check this one out so I can get my PokeFix for this year.

it'll be good, but a lot of people will h8 on it

it'll be like super paper mario if it switched release d8s with sticker star

as in, gr8 --> amazing --> shit --> gr8

it's the only possibility

I think I broke a record with my 8s...

Aside from the obvious comparison to the epic story that was Explorers ... most of the complaints I've seen boil down to:
- Small selection of starter Pokemon (Pikachu, Snivy/Tepig/Oshawott, and Axew) and no cute personality quiz
- Small Pokedex size (mostly Unova Pokemon only plus Eeveelutions)

Then there are the complaints about the PMD formula as a whole (not unique to GTI), like:
- Allied Pokemon wandering off randomly if separated from the leader

But, y'know, another thing I'd like to see is improved floor geometry (because too many tunnels). GTI had some occasional improvements, but I'd like to see an overall shift towards floors with more rooms with shorter connecting tunnels -- or, at least make those tunnels 2 squares wide so it's easier to shift party formation around in a fight. (If you've ever played the two Dark Cloud games on PS2, you know how much of a quantum leap the second game's dungeons were over the first's. Kind of like that.)

This is pretty cool news. I enjoy the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series and I'm curious to see what they have planned for this game. I actually really enjoyed Gates to Infinity. I don't think that it was my least favorite Mystery Dungeon game, but it definitely wasn't the worst one for me either. I don't think that I had much of a problem with the limited amount of Pokemon available in that game. It was disappointing, but not enough to bring the whole game down for me. I remember enjoying the storyline and I really liked how they handled having the player character return after the main storyline ended. It felt more natural than just suddenly being able to go back and not return to your life as a human.

I would definitely like the return of the personality quiz. That did add a unique touch regarding which Pokemon you became in the game. Having more variety would certainly be nice, but they'll most likely use the same kind of marketable Pokemon they've always used for in these games. I can definitely see them using Mega Evolution for some of the boss battles and as well as saving it for post-storyline similar to evolution. I kind of wish that they'd have your partner Pokemon still showcasing more personality after the storyline ends and you make it evolve, but they probably won't do that given that there's usually less to do after the storyline is over.

Tuoko said:
Only about 150 Pokémon recruitable, not even the entire Unova Dex is in the game and they have space left for every Pokémon.

So the developers could have put in more Pokémon? I'm curious to know why they didn't.

Tuoko said:
At least, I'd say that's their main reason, but honestly, a PMD game with just the Unova Dex + Pikachu line would've been nice. It was the Unova Pokémon's time to shine.

I suppose that some players wanted variety.

Stratelier said:
Aside from the obvious comparison to the epic story that was Explorers...most of the complaints I've seen boil down to:
- Small selection of starter Pokémon (Pikachu, Snivy/Tepig/Oshawott, and Axew) and no cute personality quiz
- Small Pokédex size (mostly Unova Pokémon only plus Eeveelutions)

There's no variety there. If had the game, my choices of what Pokémon should I be would only be three, Axew, Snivy and Oshawott...

Stratelier said:
Then there are the complaints about the PMD formula as a whole (not unique to GTI), like:
- Allied Pokémon wandering off randomly if separated from the leader

This happened to me all the time.
Especially in places like the Hidden Land, Temporal Tower etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom